Outdoors
Sponsored by

Building stuff and camping is outdoors

31,957 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YellowPot_97
YellowPot_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My teardrop trailer I'm building is coming along. Here's some pictures of the progress so far.

coop-aero-06
AG
Well done, sir!
bigfoot10s
AG
That is quite impressive
HuntingGMan
AG
And it's coming along very nicely! Keep the progress pictures coming. I'm looking forward to viewing the finished product. And I'll bet you're looking forward to putting it on the road.
Mhickerson09
AG
There are a lot of talented people on this board.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Awesome
marcel ledbetter
Nice! What are you using for interior paneling? Also, what are you using for the frame of the trailer? Original tear drop trailers can be spendy! Also, what stain on the paneling?
bam02
AG
Love the nostalgic style of those things. Looks great!
javajaws
AG
Outstanding! As soon as I start and finish my smoker build this might be my next project. Keep posting pics please!
Random Ag
AG
Are you building off a plan? Would love to put this on the list after the 1970 Beetle re-build is finished
ccard257
AG
incredible
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Nice! What are you using for interior paneling? Also, what are you using for the frame of the trailer? Original tear drop trailers can be spendy! Also, what stain on the paneling?

The walls are 3/4" baltic birch plywood 10 foot sheets. I put a couple coats of marine epoxy on the outside of them, then they are going to get a few coats of high grade boat hull paint. The inside of the walls are stained. The ceiling panels are 5x5 sheets of 1/8" baltic birch as well, and stained the same as the two walls. I used Cabot Golden Oak to stain them and then two coats of spar urethane. I built the trailer out 2x2 steel square tubing.

quote:
Are you building off a plan?

I have a set of plans that I'm loosely building off of. I've changed a few things to make me happy. Different radius on the curves, cabinet layout, etc..
YellowPot_97
AG
Here's a picture from the outside after the ceiling was installed.

marcel ledbetter
Also, what material did you use for the undercarriage? Celotex type fiberboard is very common.
I really like birch paneling in travel trailers. Are you installing a ceiling vent/fan? I hear that Fantastic Fan ceiling vent fans are a must have in trailers in hot, humid country.

[This message has been edited by marcel ledbetter (edited 7/1/2013 9:50a).]
Ducks4brkfast
AG
damn i see in that last pic you put a hot water heater in it. that's impressive!
MouthBQ98
AG
^
|
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Also, what material did you use for the undercarriage?

The deck is exterior plywood, coated in marine epoxy, then sprayed with a rubberized auto undercoating, and then the insulation was glued on.

quote:
damn i see in that last pic you put a hot water heater in it

yeah, you'll have to squat naked like Gollum to use the shower though. but it should be fun watching the wife use it.
igotworms
AG
Subscribing to this thread!
Nice Work!
YellowPot_97
AG
Finally finished my cabinets. That was a lot of work. Measure, re-measure, cut, sand, router, stain, sand, stain, fit, sand, install. Now on to electrical work.

Centerpole90
AG
Single DIN headunit and speaker cutouts. Nice.
CrossBowAg99
bam02
AG
Looking great!
Mr. Dubi
Very cool project. What is your projected weight empty, gross? Will you have HVAC?
Sea Gull
AG
Subscribed.
matthewj042
TRD-Ferguson
Scriffer
AG
I wish I were good at stuff.
MasterAggie
AG
That is impressive man! Damn nice work.
EFE
AG
Very nice, I want to build one of these in the near future.
CRM1712
AG
Holy hell this is awesome. I wish I had close to that kind of skill. Would love to be able to just sit in on some of these projects to see the work be done. Awesome work.
buzzardb267
AG
My grandparents had one of those in the 60s. They were both about 4'X4' and I was always amazed how they fit into it. I don't ever remember climbing in it, or even looking inside it, but it looks a lot roomier than it looks from the outside.
ZooGuy
AG
I have no skills to do any of that. I could probably barely make a dog house. Although, by some stretch, I did build a gate for my yard from scratch.. and it looked remarkably good. I still don't know how I did that.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
What is your projected weight empty, gross? Will you have HVAC?

It should come in between 1500-2000 pounds. I considered putting in a small air conditioner in the back blowing into the cabin. But I didn't want to have to figure out how to deal with all the venting and draining. Though many people have put them in theirs. I am going to leave a spot in the front wall for connecting a dog house AC unit. That way if I decided to install one, I can come back and put it in later. I will have a 3 speed reversible fan in the ceiling and opening windows in the doors. We'll see how it feels without AC after a few trips. This is the fan dry fitted in the framing.

quote:
I wish I had close to that kind of skill.

All it takes is a LOT of patience and going slow with a jig saw.
Bob_Ag
AG
Awesome!
909Ag2006
AG
WOW! Very cool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.