Outdoors
Sponsored by

My Grandfather - 30-06 rilfe and WWII MoH (pic heavy)

13,001 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AgEng06
txaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last weekend, my parents came into town to visit for my son's baby dedication at church. They surprised me by bringing my grandfather's 30-06 and giving it to me. Growing up, my family wasn't really into hunting and I had only been shown this rifle a couple of times. I've recently been getting more into shooting & hunting (thanks primarily to the OB), so my parents thought it would be nice to pass this rifle down to me since it was just sitting at their house. Anyway, I thought I'd share a little bit about my grandfather and the rifle...seemed like something some of you may be interested in.

My grandfather, Hulon Brocke Whittington, received the Medal of Honor during WWII. He was a member of the 2nd Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" during Operation Cobra, which is when the action occurred leading to his Medal of Honor. Here is the citation for his award:
quote:
"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On the night of 29 July 1944, near Grimesnil, France, during an enemy armored attack, Sergeant Whittington, a squad leader, assumed command of his platoon when the platoon leader and platoon sergeant became missing in action. He reorganized the defense, and under fire courageously crawled between gun positions to check the actions of his men. When the advancing enemy attempted to penetrate a road block, Sergeant Whittington, completely disregarding intense enemy action, mounted a tank and by shouting through the turret, directed it into a position to fire point blank at the leading Mark V German tank. The destruction of this vehicle blocked all movement of the remaining enemy column, consisting of over 100 vehicles of a Panzer unit. The blocked vehicles were then destroyed by hand grenades, bazooka, tank and artillery fire and large numbers of enemy personnel were wiped out by a bold and resolute bayonet charge inspired by Sergeant Whittington. When the medical aid man had become a casualty, Sergeant Whittington personally administered first aid to his wounded men, The dynamic leadership, the inspiring example and the dauntless courage of Sergeant Whittington, above and beyond the call of duty, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service."

Another cool fact is that he served as the model for “G.I. Joe: American Legion Soldier”, a thirteen foot tall limestone statue located at American Legion headquarters, 1608 K Street, Washington, D.C.

He is featured in a book written by Mark Bando, entitled "Breakout at Normandy-The 2nd Armored Division in the Land of the Dead". And here is an article that tells a little more about his life and his service for our country:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaschley/medalofhonor.htm

Unfortunately, he passed away in 1969 when my stepdad was 16. However, "Rocky" as he was known, has lived on in our family and was a big part of the ceremony when his wife, my grandmother, passed away this past spring. She was very proud of him for as long as I knew her and it has been an honor for me to be part of that family. Here is a picture of my late grandmother with his Medal of Honor:

The rifle is a 1928 Springfield M1903 that has been sporterized. I know sporterized M1903s are a dime a dozen, but the craftsmanship on the carving and engraving is something else. I'm not entirely sure how/why my grandfather was given this gun. The best we can figure, it was given to him in the late 50's/early 60's. The gentleman that gave it to him had the stock carved and inlaid with ivory and the metal components engraved and inlaid with silver in Japan. My parents took it to a gunsmith to get cleaned up and to put a new scope on it. I was told that a condition of me receiving it was that I had to use it. So I will, but only in very controlled situations. If you look closely at the picture of the buttstock with the deer on it, you can see the Japanese symbols from the person that carved it.

[This message has been edited by txaggie05 (edited 12/16/2010 5:40p).]
mneisch
AG
WOW, thank you so much for sharing with us! Incredible rifle from an incredible man. That must have been a huge honor for you to receive.
tryan
AG
Wow, that is an amazing story and gun. You should be proud to own it, as I'm sure you are.
tony
AG
wow, just wow.
rjamizon
Wow. That's awesome!

edit: wrong emoticon. meant to use:

[This message has been edited by rjamizon (edited 12/16/2010 7:16p).]
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 1 vote in support of this message.
Blue Heeler Ag
AG
That right there is an awesome story! Great gun as well.
MouthBQ98
AG
Very cool rifle, and gramps was a badass.

If I am not mistaken, a Mark V is otherwise known as a Tiger tank.
Codeno
AG
Very cool.
KRT-1
Now that is a great Christmas present.
aggiesq
AG
The story and the rifle are each awesome in their own right. Together you may have the post of the year.

Tell your family we appreciate his service.

TX AG 88
ReloadAg
AG
Amazing story and weapon. Thanks for sharing!
Ron Mexico
AG
Great story...Great man ! Thank you for sharing
Ag210
AG
Dude, that has got to be one of the coolest guns i have ever seen... Wow...
FSGuide
Great looking gun and your grandfather was a badass!
Blane
Awesome man and awesome gun
Log
AG
Balls of Steel.

Amazing rifle too.
WildcatAg
AG
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
BCS Realtor
Impressive gun. Impressive story. Impressive man.
montanagriz
S
How much? What is value of gun? 3,000?
Terk
CanyonAg77
AZAG08
AG
Beautiful gun and great story....that will be a treasure in your family for generations
OleRock02
AG
Be proud.
rhomulus bonham
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Greatness!
vin1041
AG
That is freaking nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
powerbiscuit
awesome story, awesome gun
WildAg08
TRIDENT
AG
Great story and beautiful rifle. Your grandfather and his rifle are both treasures. If you don't already have a real good gun safe, please invest in one ASAP.
BoyNamedSue
Amazing!
AgDog02
AG
Priceless
PA24
AG
Nice read
schmellba99
AG
Awesome story.

I usually don't dig on carvings and what not on rifles, but whomever did the work on yours would qualify as "artist". Great work - I am especially fond of the forearm carvings.

Take it out and shoot in on occasion so it still has the chance to tell it's stories. Few things in life are better than hearing and old man speak again.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.