Outdoors
Sponsored by

My Grandfather - 30-06 rilfe and WWII MoH (pic heavy)

13,004 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AgEng06
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From the bottom of my heart...Thanks for sharing.
Puryear Playboy
AG
The best Chesty Puller qoute:

"They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an
enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can't get away from us now!"

- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Preferred Nomenclature
CLIFF MOORE
best post i have ever read on texags
txaggie05
AG
Couple of other points:

1. He was awarded the Medal of Honor on April 21, 1945. Aside from the significance that April 21 holds at Texas A&M, my son was also born on April 21 this year, so that date definitely holds a special place in my heart.

2. The Medal of Honor that my parents have isn't his original medal. The original was swiped during a house party when he was an officer in Maryland (I believe, need to double check the story) and hocked at a pawn shop, never to be seen again.
SR90
Awesome!
ArmedAg94
swampstander
AG
Awesome story, beautiful gun.

I have one of those sporterized Springfields.
MasterAggie
AG
Awesome looking rifle and no doubt your grandpa was a certified badass. Having a medal of honor winner in the family is damn sure something to be proud of. It is men like him that made this country the greatest place on earth. Thanks for sharing that story.
montanagriz
S
Last night, just checked the pics out while drinking with in laws in town.

tonight decided to read, that was an amazing story. thank you for sharing

that is the most beautiful gun i have ever seen.
xMusashix
AG
Since you mentioned the Japanese symbols, post a better pic of them and I can have it translated for you want. Awesome story.

AgeofEase08
AG
thats incredible. beautiful gun. great man, awesome story. that is going to be one awesome heirloom.
cone
AG
awesome story

panzer mark v was a panther. that must have been scary as hell. their frontal armor could not be penetrated by a sherman's 75 mm gun.
Walter Kovacs
AG
very cool
Ag_of_08
AG
Amazing gun, beautiful rifle.

If it was me using it, I really might think about getting a reproduction or restored period scope and doing something etching wise with it. Would just be a cool little touch on an already amazing gun.
CLTtexAg03
LGAggie
AG
This deserves another bump.

Merry Christmas all!
fireinthehole
Hard to understand how someone could steal a MOH, and even harder for me to understand how someone would keep a MOH that was not theirs. There are truly some strange ones on the rock. Thanks for sharing.
NW80
AG
Wow, thanks for sharing!
TXBowhunter
AG
Bump for a great story.
AgEng06
AG
Wow. I missed this the first time around. What a great story. Thanks for bumping this.
CanyonAg77
AG
Great post, glad the rifle went to someone who can appreciate it.

In the article you linked:
quote:
One of Whittington's grenades, aptly aimed at a field piece, lodged in the muzzle of the cannon and put it out of commission for the time. A tracer bullet from the M-1 rifle fired by Sergeant Whittington was credited with having set off the ammunition dump.

This may have been a bit of WWII propaganda, but oh my gawd.... And
quote:
While Whittington was in an Italian hospital at Castlebeltrana which had been taken over by an American medical unit after the hazardous action in the pass approaching Palermo, he had a little time to think. And his thoughts took him back to his comrades on the front line. Within five days of his admission to the hospital, he had slipped away to join his unit as they advanced to Palermo.
tamu2009
AG
That might be the most beautiful gun i've ever seen. Wish I had something cool like that from my lineage.
WC87
AG
I'll admit to looking at the pics first before reading the story, and my first thought was wow, an early Mauser action on a beautiful rifle. Then I read it was a sporterized Springfield 1903. Aha! The M1903 was a copy of the Mauser action and Mauser brought suit, which forced Springfield to pay royalties to Mauser. (or something like this) In 1906 the design was changed to accommodate a slightly altered .30 cal bullet...the 30.06.

Such a cool story about your grandfather, thanks for posting.

[This message has been edited by WC87 (edited 3/7/2012 4:40p).]
IslandAg76
AG
Real Life...........better than fiction
Tigers
Amazing. Beautiful rifle. And your grandfather is a true American hero.
harge57
DriftwoodAg
AG
Thanks for sharing this
rab79
AG

Do you know if the Whittington Shooting Center in Raton, NM has any connection to your grandfather? The NRA has a history of naming things after CMOH recipients, but i couldn't find anything about the namesake for the Whittington Center. IMO that would be a fitting tribute to your grandfather.
txaggie05
AG
Rab,

I don't believe the shooting center is named after him, but I will find out for sure. I know there are several ordinance facilities named after him at places like Fort Benning and Fort Hood, among others. There's a field dedication ceremony for him in May at Fort Lee, VA that I plan on attending with my family.
Aggie Vet
AG
Very cool
MaroonSpirit
AG
Thank you for sharing!
mustang6tee8
AG
A true American hero! Thank you for sharing.
Tag77
DayAg!
S
Those guys that fought in the European and Asian theaters were some of the toughtest "SOB's" that ever lived.

Lot of it had to do with the way they were raised. The finest on record and statistically were farm boys that learned how to hunt and fish at an early age. Not all, but most.

Werent nothing liberal about em.

Thank you for sharing that with us. Makes all of us proud to hear about Americans with those kind of sacrifices being made. He will not be forgotton.Nor will any of the rest of that generation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.