So... About Vibe Coding....

1,530 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Matches Malone
will25u
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't know a lick of coding, html, etc.

I received a free Gemini Pro subscription($20/mo) for a year when I bought my Google Pixel. So I started vibe coding.

It has taken a while to really get the hang of it but my abilities have gotten to the point where I can actually get pretty decent results. It does take a long while to get things done right, especially with DB schemas, security, and web servers. But it would probably take a lot longer if I knew coding and was doing it myself.

Anyway I wanted to come here to mainly post this first project I just completed. But will post my other two bigger projects also.

1. Recreation of PixelBreaker's Polar Clock(circa 2007). I used to have this as my PC background and enjoyed watching it. It was made in Flash, and you can't really run Flash any longer so I vibe coded it and put it on a spare domain I had. I looked for a recent implementation of it, but couldn't really find any.

https://ripplered.info



Maybe some of y'all remember it. Or not!

I also vibe coded a "Is (Product) gluten-free?". That uses AI to parse the ingredients as well as using the USDA/Open Food Facts DBs to pull all pertinent product information. Have posted a couple of threads about it here on TexAgs. https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3608351

17,000+ products categorized and run through my completely automated pipeline. ~150/day ongoing.

http://glutensense.org




And last but not least is using a tracker script I originally made for Gluten Sense, but am reengineering it to be a SaaS web analytics website. Have the back end almost completely done. Just need to work on the front end and get it working together with the back end.



So yeah.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

- Abraham Lincoln
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's awesome!

I have no experience with code at all either, but was looking for an app to help me stay motivated in working out and reading the bible and other activities. I ended up building out my own app and just launched it live on the iOS App Store. (Google play coming soon).

It was a fun project and I learned a lot, but it's crazy what you can do now!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/level-up-life-rpg/id6798254854
https://levelupliferpg.eb44.app/



Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, crazy time to stop in the Nerdery and see this thread. I've been working on a project the last week and now I know what I've been doing... vibe coding.

I'm a producer partner in a cotton gin. It's dated and doesn't have the most modern equipment so I wanted to help our team get some feedback that we could use to start deciding on where to upgrade and focus repairs/maintenance. One of the things that makes that work is data, lots of data on how your system is functioning.

I started by walking out of the gin one day and asking ChatGPT if I could passively monitor a proximity sensor input and log or report that data out of my own device. That conversation sent me down a path that I never saw coming. The short version is that for safety I decided not to tap into any of the current systems of the gin but instead installed a redundant proximity sensor and a RasberryPi - then using logic from being around gins for years I 'vibe coded' a whole ass performance dashboard that provides instant feedback on gin production metrics. Just part of the dashboard:



(you see we've had a brutal day for breakdowns today) The problem with a little data is that it's like cocaine, you want more data. In my case it was knowing how many of our gin stands are operating at any one time to determine % Availability. Well, that's easily done - by an electrician, before the gin is running, with a bunch of sensors.... but not so easy when you're up to your ears in cotton and can't afford to stop.

Thanks again to ChatGPT and LOT of vibe coding we tapped into a security camera in the gin and whipped up some image analysis is OpenCV. Comparing frames in the stream a second RasberryPi in the office makes determinations on when each stand is ginning or not, records that data, and sends it to the first Pi to incorporate into the dashboard.



I'm going to take a couple days break but next I need to build some report pages that will help us draw conclusions from the data. Probably not this season, but next year, I'd like to expand the system and monitor motor load on machine drives and fan motors to determine choke points in the system.

Oh, and as far as coding experience. I used Basic in high school and took Fortran77 at A&M. So, yeah, I don't know sh*t; but I have a cool performance dashboard. lol.
will25u
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eventually this will be the standard, and not the outlier. AI will get cheap enough and smart enough eventually that you will just tell it what to do and it will come out perfectly on the other side.

I currently have to really handhold the AI to make it do what it needs to do. Yes, it will get it most of the way there, but unless you prompt it well and with what you exactly want it to be, it will guess at things and it will not work quite the way expected.

Bug fixing is a totally different chore. It will fix the bug you ask it to fix, but it will not take into account the whole process and you could end up with many other bugs in other parts of the program since it changed a variable name or that the variable is a string instead of being a number(or whatever).
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are exactly right. This is all going really good right now while it is fresh and these conversations I'm having with AI are recent. What scares me is what's going to happen if I want to change something a year from now or two years from now because already I've had to remind it of what we've done - and I'm human.
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone used Grok Bot yet? Can it grab design equations from a PDF copy of engineering design codes and develop an app for checking concrete slab, beams, and wall designs?
stick95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It will be interesting to see software development in 5 years. Is this going to be the standard that everyone has their own version of a workflow? I think so. Companies will just be supplying the data, and everyone just writes their own app to consume it the way they want to.
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Anyone used Grok Bot yet? Can it grab design equations from a PDF copy of engineering design codes and develop an app for checking concrete slab, beams, and wall designs?

I haven't tried Grok Bot, but I've been using Qwen 3.6 to try and reverse engineer some turbomachinery analysis code. What I'm seeing so far is that while technically yes, it can get equations from a pdf, it really does seem to work better if you enter the equations in a LaTeX or Markdown format instead, especially if you have a lot of subscripts or superscripts. Not sure how many equations you're looking at, but there are tools for converting pdfs to Markdown, I think.
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know if this continues to quality for discussion in this thread or if it's just "look what I did" but over be last 30 days I have had my eyes completely opened to what laymen like me can accomplish technically using AI to handle the coding.

Since my last update I have added a third arm to my system that adds incoming moisture percentage, after-drying moisture percentage, and motor load on the first machine in the system. I won't bore you with what there's are or why they matter - it's how I got to them that shocked me.

The system that monitors these sensors and displays them on a screen (HMI) is in a remote electrical cabinet, their connection is on a LAN; that's how the system talks to itself. There are downstream 4-20ma analog outputs for any third-party uses (this is where normal people plug in). However, through AI, I was able to intercept and interpret industrial NET traffic, identify poling of specific memeory locations, then pull post-processed final values right out of the system.

This avoided the hassle of another power supply, relays, GIPO boards, and my own interpretation of that signal. It's a closed industrial net, static IPs, and no outside traffic or noise - which makes this much easier. My hardware listens for the request from the HMI and records the reply from the PLC. 4X / second. That simple. We aren't talking in the room so we don't risk disrupting operation of the system; we just sit and listen and when A says "what is X?" We record the answer.

This is so far over my head I can't even begin to describe. However, I see a revolution coming where ideas will turn to action at alarming rates. This isn't some ground breaking technological discovery, right? This is ho-hum to a whole industry - BUT, I did it, and I did it in days without a team of software engineers behind me. (Admittedly, I did get the Vmemory locations from someone who knew them, but chat had already found a mirror of them - and would have soon dialed them in). Now my recorder/interpreter is out there just recording away and providing moisture readings when asked for them by the system I built last month. This is nuts.
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Centerpole90 said:

You are exactly right. This is all going really good right now while it is fresh and these conversations I'm having with AI are recent. What scares me is what's going to happen if I want to change something a year from now or two years from now because already I've had to remind it of what we've done - and I'm human.

One thing I've done with my "coding" work (I hesitate to call it real coding), is that when I have reached a major milestone, I instruct the agent to generate a prompt that I can use to "refresh its memory" should we need to restart on a different machine or something. This gives me the source code and a prompt that reminds the agent what has been accomplished to set a sort of backup point if I need it. The one time I needed it, it did work out pretty well.

I've also used a different chat/branch with the source code and instructed it to generate a programmer's manual to document the code and the steps it follows to achieve the desired result.
Matches Malone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

That's awesome!

I have no experience with code at all either, but was looking for an app to help me stay motivated in working out and reading the bible and other activities. I ended up building out my own app and just launched it live on the iOS App Store. (Google play coming soon).

It was a fun project and I learned a lot, but it's crazy what you can do now!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/level-up-life-rpg/id6798254854
https://levelupliferpg.eb44.app/





Turn this into a game where we can fight each other using our stats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.