Anybody have a Steam Deck?

8,674 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by aezmvp
MedianEnjoyer2023
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
boy09 said:

Eliminatus said:

The Deck is super appealing but I am not going to keep both I am sure. One or the other...

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else in the same boat?
No. I just bought both.

I really only play the Switch hooked up to a TV. The Steam Deck is a much better handheld experience imo.

The Switch is great for first party Nintendo games. The Steam Deck is better for everything else and feels better handheld, imho. And the Deck can play my PS2 catalog.
heddleston
AG
I've had my Deck for almost two months now... And it's without a doubt the best gaming purchase I've made in my adult life. Being able to catch up on the last 10 years or so of gaming since I missed most of it in grad school and entering dad-hood while on the sofa is just awesome, and that doesn't even scratch the surface of emulation stuff I've been able to do, like play NCAA Next.
Fenrir
trgt said:

boy09 said:

Eliminatus said:

The Deck is super appealing but I am not going to keep both I am sure. One or the other...

Decisions, decisions...

No. I just bought both.

I really only play the Switch hooked up to a TV. The Steam Deck is a much better handheld experience imo.

The Switch is great for first party Nintendo games. The Steam Deck is better for everything else and feels better handheld, imho. And the Deck can play my PS2 catalog.
Emulation?
MedianEnjoyer2023
AG
Fenrir said:

trgt said:

boy09 said:

Eliminatus said:

Decisions, decisions...

No. I just bought both.

Emulation?

Yup. It's fantastic for that. Some games are a bit glitchy (Ace Combat 4 has issues with the sun and doesn't render explosions) but most are very playable.
aezmvp
Ace Combat 7 is great on the Deck too. Project Wingman as well.
Fenrir
PCSX2? I'd looked into it in the past but never really thought it would be worth the effort but on a steam deck that kind of interests me now. Is it easy to rip the PS2 disc?
WGann3
AG
Fenrir said:

PCSX2? I'd looked into it in the past but never really thought it would be worth the effort but on a steam deck that kind of interests me now. Is it easy to rip the PS2 disc?
I would say it's a lot easier to just "own" the disc and go download the already ripped PS2 ISO file from a trustworthy database.
MedianEnjoyer2023
AG
Fenrir said:

Yep, super easy to set up the emulators: https://www.emudeck.com/

Plenty of guides out there too for backing up your discs.
heddleston
AG
NCAA Next is an updated mod of NCAA 2006 for PS2 with updated rosters and uniforms, conferences, playoff, etc. This season is still in beta but it plays perfectly on the Deck.

Also second Ace Combat 7 and Project Wingman, and shoot, Halo MCC works perfectly now. The day I got my deck I put it on there and just started giggling like an idiot being able to play Halo in bed.
zip04
AG
Just bought one. Looking forward to trying it out.
Eliminatus
AG
zip04 said:

Just bought one. Looking forward to trying it out.
Same. The final push was asking an old classmate who is NOT a gamer who impulse bought one a few months ago.

"It's awesome and I love it!"

If non enthusiasts are sold....
BadMoonRisin
AG
Enjoy. I love my steam deck. Not quite very skilled in the emulation game. I put Goldeneye 007 and Legend of Zelda Ocerina of Time on there, but somehow Earthbound didnt work.
Pman17
AG
The new update is great! My deck looked terrible on my HDR TV and now it looks great!
zip04
AG
Got mine in today and immediately installed a 1TB ssd. Very easy process, but the OS install is easy to get impatient with because it sits for a bit with you thinking it isn't doing anything.

After the install, only my power button and touch screen worked until I signed in to my wifi and it auto updated.

Now I'm installing games. Really pumped.
zip04
AG
Hades feels like it was made specifically for the steam deck. The game was fun before, but it is awesome on the deck. Also, I like Path of Exile and/or Diablo much more on the steam deck than I did on my PC.

Games like Cyberpunk, etc. I still prefer on the PC with m/kb.

All in all, the steam deck is much more fun than I anticipated.
CC09LawAg
If you keep posting stuff like this on this thread you're going to cost me a lot of money!
WGann3
AG
I just can't wrap my head around playing ARPGs on a controller. A lot of people swear by it though Glad to see you're enjoying the Deck, I picked up Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 remake last night and had an absolute blast on it. I couldn't help but think it would be a perfect Steam Deck game, I was playing with my Steam Controller.

I've always been tempted to buy a Steam Deck, but I've been having a ton of fun with my retro handheld hobby and just made my biggest investment yet on a $300 pre-purchase of the Odin 2 that's coming in *hopefully* December. I'll just stream from my gaming PC to it and kind of make it a smaller Steam Deck.
aezmvp
Good luck! SD2 in like 2-3 years. I'm doing a full PC refresh next year to pawn off my current one to my high school son. He'll probably get my Deck when I refresh it. It's been a great purchase.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.