Anybody have a Steam Deck?

8,923 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aezmvp
SF2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread maybe go read more about steam deck. Led me to this.

https://calaverastudio.itch.io/minidoom2
Eliminatus
AG
Once I found out you can emulate easily I am definitely very interested.

The problem I have is sunk cost fallacy. I have a switch with four digit cost in hardware and games. And I am positive the Steam Deck would replace it completely. And that hurts. Not that I actually play my switch anyways...

Funny how the mind works. I just wanna play Star Ocean 2 man. Can't understand why Sony will not ****ing port it. Same with Xenogears. Even Final Fantasy Tactics (though this has been promised...at some point)
aezmvp
Eliminatus said:

Once I found out you can emulate easily I am definitely very interested.

The problem I have is sunk cost fallacy. I have a switch with four digit cost in hardware and games. And I am positive the Steam Deck would replace it completely. And that hurts. Not that I actually play my switch anyways...

Funny how the mind works. I just wanna play Star Ocean 2 man. Can't understand why Sony will not ****ing port it. Same with Xenogears. Even Final Fantasy Tactics (though this has been promised...at some point)

I have Tactics on my Deck. I could run the Android version on bluestacks as well if I wanted to. Xenogears would be easy. Probably on archive.org.
Goldie Wilson
I'm looking to pick up a Switch to play BOTW if you want to offset the costs of your fancy new Steam Deck
hph6203
AG
Nope. Steam Deck can be docked and hooked up to a TV or monitor just like a PC, but can also be played remotely plugged into an outlet or totally portable. The things it can't emulate are generally because the software itself cannot emulate it.

Personally don't think it's reasonable to try to emulate games you can readily buy, and the Steam Deck can play pretty much everything a high powered PC can.

The question around the Steam Deck is how long it will be able to play new AAA releases. If you look at the Deck as primarily a indie/emulation machine with the occasional AAA game it fills that use case well.
SF2004
AG
Nope.

There is more to a high end PC than just "can it play" but I get your point.
BadMoonRisin
AG
tamusc
AG
FYI, there's finally a reputable place to buy the 2TB WD SN740 SSD now, Framework of all places. Kind of crazy because it doesn't even fit in their laptops (they don't have the screw to secure SSDs that short) and they advertise that it's for the Steam Deck. Guess they realized they could buy them and there was an opportunity since the only other place to reliably buy them from are shady eBay sellers.

There's not many options for anything larger than 512GB in the 2230 form factor currently. There's a few 1TB options (Sabrent has preorders for their 1TB drive up now for release in a few weeks).

Just ordered one on these myself.

https://frame.work/products/western-digital-sn740-nvme-m-2-2230
easttexasaggie04
AG
My SteamDeck finally arrived today. I got the 64GB and got a 512GB memory card. This thing is awesome. First games I downloaded were Spiderman Remastered, Vampire Survivors, Stray, and Command and Conquer 3. Hopefully items on my Steam Wishlist will go on sale soon! It's hard to pay full price for games I really want when they seem to go on sale all the time.

Any other games that are a must on this device?

I have zero Steam friends, so I feel like a loser. Add me if you want, Friend Code: 1140196199
Pman17
AG
You can install Edge Browser and dedicate it as a Game Pass XCloud client. The Deck works great for cloud gaming.

I Like Mike
AG
Just got the 64gb version. Gonna put a 512 ssd and 512 sd in it. How do I emulate on it? Emudeck plus what else?
hph6203
AG
Damn. That's not a bad price.
hph6203
AG
You just need the game files and in some cases BIOS or system files for some systems. There's a "Mega ROM Thread" on Reddit that has links to Archive.org repositories where you can download games you own. Consoles like NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii, and WiiU do not need any additional BIOS. PS, PS2, PS3, Switch will need additional system files that are copyrighted/can't be provided by the emulator. They are easily found on the internet and if you have the right Switch model it looks like it's not too hard to dump from the system. I just found that out today and I know my Switch is old enough to accommodate, so we'll see how easy it is.
aezmvp
Ace Combat 7 or Star Wars Squadrons. I have a keyboard with a TouchPad for playing Civ on the couch.

My friend code is 41057037.
aezmvp
I did it and it was neither terrible nor user friendly. I'm not an IT guy and had no issues. My wife would never have succeeded.
aezmvp
Also... Nreal Air. It is an amazing add on for the Deck. Also if you have a samsung phone. Traveling with it now and it's great having a 75% FOV screen right in front of you without having to crane your neck. Just played 4 or 5 missions on ace combat and I won't be going anywhere without these things for a bit.
tamusc
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

Two questions:

1.)Is there a way to side load Xbox Game pass onto the steam deck?

2.) Are there any substantial rumors of a new steam deck being released any time soon? I would hate to buy the current model only to have the new one released a few months later.

1. MS actually even has an instruction page on how to use Game Pass via xcloud on the Steam Deck. This is what I'm currently doing when I want to play Game Pass games and I followed the instructions below to set it up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

You could also just install Windows on it if you'd like to play locally. Valve provides Windows drivers for the Deck.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/6121-ECCD-D643-BAA8

Personally I'm waiting for Valve to finally release the update that will easily allow dual booting before I mess with Windows on it.

2. They've mentioned that a Steam Deck 2 is likely in the cards, but that would be years away.
tamusc
AG
aezmvp said:

Also... Nreal Air. It is an amazing add on for the Deck. Also if you have a samsung phone. Traveling with it now and it's great having a 75% FOV screen right in front of you without having to crane your neck. Just played 4 or 5 missions on ace combat and I won't be going anywhere without these things for a bit.
The Nreal Air glasses and Steam Deck really are an amazing combo, aren't they?
tamusc
AG
hph6203 said:

Damn. That's not a bad price.
Aaaaaaand they're already sold out, but said they're ordering more. I got my order in before they ran out and it has already shipped.
Pman17
AG
Here's my friend code if anyone wants to add.

BadMoonRisin
AG
I ordered a docking station so I can play hogwarts with my kid in the living room. What controller shouldI use? Can I connect an XBOX One controller?
aezmvp
Yes you can. I'd recommend streaming it from your PC if you have a good rig.
BadMoonRisin
AG
aezmvp said:

Yes you can. I'd recommend streaming it from your PC if you have a good rig.

Even with an i7/32/on an ssd drive with an rtx3080, the streaming experience via wifi is not very good.

My router is only AC. Would getting a new wifi 6 router help?

I mightbeither do that or get a steam dock that has an ethernet port
I Like Mike
AG
Add me. 61119521
hph6203
AG
Is your PC on an Ethernet? I just tested on the deck and it works well. The remote play sucks to my phone. My computer is on Ethernet.

All the in home streaming, whether from the Xbox, PlayStation or PC seems like magic.
BadMoonRisin
AG
hph6203 said:

Is your PC on an Ethernet? I just tested on the deck and it works well. The remote play sucks to my phone. My computer is on Ethernet.

All the in home streaming, whether from the Xbox, PlayStation or PC seems like magic.
Yes, my PC is hardwired to ethernet. I have AT&T Fiber.

I have an older (~2015ish) Asus RT-68U router, and it's not very far away at all from where the Steam Deck is docked.

The graphics look washed out, and it also has quite a bit of input lag. I will try again, I just disabled wifi on my PC, so maybe for some reason it was using wireless instead of using ethernet?

Ill try again and report back. Seems like either way I need to either get a Wifi 6 router (assuming steam deck has a Wireless-AX card) or a new dock with ethernet on it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
That seems to have helped slightly. Ill have to ask my son, last night he said it was studdering. Ill have him try when he gets out of school -- downloading the latest GameReady drivers now.

The only thing I notice to be a huge issue is when I hit pause and try to use the xbox controller to move the little circle around the menu. It CRAWLS. No idea why, everything else seems OK. On the PC I can move the mouse around no problem at all.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm really enjoying Spiderman Remastered on the SteamDeck. I'd never played any of these Playstation exclusives and they're really alot of fun.

I also recommend Vampire Survivors. At first you'll think it's dumb but you'll soon be addicted.
hph6203
AG
It's entirely possible the games I've tried aren't that demanding/don't require that much compression and I'm streaming to the Deck rather than to a TV, so the resolution is 720p rather than 1080 or 4k. I'm only using an AC router as well.

I tried Jedia Fallen Order, and that didn't work as well, but I'm not sure if it's due to that game using the EA launcher or not.
hph6203
AG
aezmvp said:

I did it and it was neither terrible nor user friendly. I'm not an IT guy and had no issues. My wife would never have succeeded.
I've been reading some guides deciding if this is worth it to do, and they basically say you should have a partitioned SD card, one for custom firmware, one for the standard firmware. My question is can you load the custom firmware onto the SD card, then boot into standard firmware and re-download your e-shop games, then dump them from the switch using the custom firmware? Dumping cartridges is prevalent in the guides, but the e-shop dumps aren't. I only have one cartridge game.
easttexasaggie04
AG
This morning I tried to figure out where to get ROMs and how to install them on my deck and I've pretty much given up. I think it's over my head.
aezmvp
hph6203 said:

aezmvp said:

I've been reading some guides deciding if this is worth it to do, and they basically say you should have a partitioned SD card, one for custom firmware, one for the standard firmware. My question is can you load the custom firmware onto the SD card, then boot into standard firmware and re-download your e-shop games, then dump them from the switch using the custom firmware? Dumping cartridges is prevalent in the guides, but the e-shop dumps aren't. I only have one cartridge game.
I believe you can actually download them directly from Nintendo. There are some tools for that. I downloaded by WiiU games directly.
aezmvp
easttexasaggie04 said:

This morning I tried to figure out where to get ROMs and how to install them on my deck and I've pretty much given up. I think it's over my head.
Are you on the TexAgs gaming discord? I could get on there and help!
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm not....I've never been on discord before. I suck...haha!
aezmvp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.