Anybody have a Steam Deck?

8,921 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aezmvp
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've had this now for a few weeks and haven't really used it.

I think its because ive been playing Bannerlord and Atomic Heart on Xbox Gamepass, so not steam games and I dont really want to try and figure out how to get xbox gamepass to stream on there because of input lag.

Maybe mods are what I need to do? Id love to be able to play some classic SNES/N64/Playstation games or something. Anyone have a good youtube video with instructions on how to do this?
aezmvp
hph6203
AG
You should at least try the streaming from the Xbox, it's not bad if the Xbox is on Ethernet. At the very least you can play Gamepass games that aren't heavy on timing. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up.

Download App Launcher
Download Greenlight
Open Konsole and drag App Launcher to the Konsole window then type Install and enter
Drag Greenlight to your Applications folder
Right click on Greenlight in your " start" menu and click Add to Steam.
Return to game mode
Go to Greenlight select properties and rename it to Greenlight
Add fullscreen (hyphen hyphen fullscreen no spaces) to the launch options.
Change controls to Gamepad with Mouse trackpad
Change right trackpad to single button left click
Change left trackpad to single button letter N
Launch Greenlight and log in

BadMoonRisin
AG
hph6203 said:

You should at least try the streaming from the Xbox, it's not bad if the Xbox is on Ethernet. At the very least you can play Gamepass games that aren't heavy on timing. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up.

Download App Launcher
Download Greenlight
Open Konsole and drag App Launcher to the Konsole window then type Install and enter
Drag Greenlight to your Applications folder
Right click on Greenlight in your " start" menu and click Add to Steam.
Return to game mode
Go to Greenlight select properties and rename it to Greenlight
Add fullscreen (hyphen hyphen fullscreen no spaces) to the launch options.
Change controls to Gamepad with Mouse trackpad
Change right trackpad to single button left click
Change left trackpad to single button letter N
Launch Greenlight and log in

I play Xbox gamepass games on my PC. Does this solution work for that As well or just from an Xbox?

The solution I looked up for streaming from pc was basically to download Microsoft edge browser and log into streaming and do it that way which seemed super clunky.
hph6203
AG
The Edge browser way is just cloud streaming I believe. Greenlight won't work for PC streaming to the best of my knowledge, but if you have an Nvidia graphics card then you can use the Moonlight app on the Discover store.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I Like Mike
AG
Ok so I have been having an issue with Ghost Recon Breakpoint installed thru Ubisoft Connect. It ran fine for hours and lately has been freezing after playing for like 15 minutes. I have 27 hours into the game and it has been okay.

Internet suggests if it is installed on SD card that it can freeze (mine is). However I cannot get Ubisoft Connect to install it on Steam Deck internal storage. Anyone know a way to force it? It cannot see the hidden Linux files in order to install into those folders, even though I have 200 gb free on internal storage. This is annoying!!
BadMoonRisin
AG
Is anyone having this issue/ is this intended or not?

The left mouse pad button is really smooth and tracks nicely. The right mouse pad area is really clicky/crunchy and doesn't seem to swipe as smoothly. If you push kn the corners it will click and act like you put pressure on kt to depress it. It does not track nearly as well as the left mousepad.

Is this a defective unit? Sure feels like it.

Pman17
AG
I hear support is pretty good
easttexasaggie04
AG
Big Spring Sale on Steam happening now! RIP to my wallet.
Pman17
AG
10% off Steam Deck
$359.99 for the 64GB

You can now buy startup videos with points.
boy09
AG
Pman17 said:

10% off Steam Deck
$359.99 for the 64GB
Well i didn't plan on buying a Steam Deck today, but here we are...
BadMoonRisin
AG
Can you just comment on if your left and right mouse pads feel the same? I'm not talking about settings, this is with the console off.

If so, I think I need to get a new one.
Rex Racer
AG
Pman17 said:

10% off Steam Deck
$359.99 for the 64GB

Not bad. I saw that you can buy that one and put in a 1 TB drive for about the same price as the 256 GB version. This makes it even better.
hph6203
AG
My right pad has gone through a period of feeling crunchy, to not feeling crunchy and back and forth. It is definitely not supposed to do that though. I assumed it was some kind of dirt or something that got under it so I blasted it with compressed air and repeatedly pressed it.

Feels fairly normal now.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So far I got God of War and Titanfall 2 on sale. Hard not o get Horizon as well.
BadMoonRisin
AG
hph6203 said:

My right pad has gone through a period of feeling crunchy, to not feeling crunchy and back and forth. It is definitely not supposed to do that though. I assumed it was some kind of dirt or something that got under it so I blasted it with compressed air and repeatedly pressed it.

Feels fairly normal now.

Well crap. Mike was like this immediately since I opened it. I have a ticket out for it.

I'll try to blast it with some air when I get home and if that fixes it I'm good. If not I'm going to RMA
hph6203
AG
It took a few cycles of air/activating the button over and over for it to clear up. It came back after it sat for awhile for a couple of days of it.

I've bought/messed with 3 Decks now and mine was the only one that has had this happen. Oddly the haptics on the other two were way more intense on the trackpads.
aezmvp
easttexasaggie04 said:

So far I got God of War and Titanfall 2 on sale. Hard not o get Horizon as well.
The last thing I need is a racing game on my Deck. The flying games are too much fun as is.
Pman17
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Can you just comment on if your left and right mouse pads feel the same? I'm not talking about settings, this is with the console off.

If so, I think I need to get a new one.
Mine feel the same as each other. No issues.
Pman17
AG
Rex Racer said:

Pman17 said:

10% off Steam Deck
$359.99 for the 64GB

Not bad. I saw that you can buy that one and put in a 1 TB drive for about the same price as the 256 GB version. This makes it even better.
Yea, I bought the 64GB and swapped the memory with a $55 KOXIA 512GB SSD from eBay as soon as I got the Deck. My bought a $50 512GB MicroSD at MicroCenter. It's so easy to change the SSD. Just be sure to watch iFixit tutorials so that you do everything properly without damaging the Deck. I had to rip some of the SSD foil shielding to fit the new SSD in the sleeve. It's hard to damage but always good to be safe. You'll need to flash the OS through the BIOS with a USB-C thumb drive or USB-A drive with a USB-A Female to USB-C male adapter. The whole OS installation and update process does take a long time. I ran into the issue of the screen orientation being wrong and I think I was impatient rather than waiting to fix itself on it's own and hooked up the steam deck to an external monitor with mouse and keyboard to mess with the settings. I think in that situation you just, wait and it'll resolve itself during the install process.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Thank you for the additional data point. I appreciate it. I knew something wasnt right from the jump. Im playing games like Fallout 4 where I would use the stick input to turn, but would like to use the mouse pad while ADS to be more precise, but the trackpad feels and performs like ass. I think I will find I will like the device a lot more if this problem was fixed, so I will request an RMA.
heddleston
AG
are people still loving theirs? considering one this summer vs a switch. I already have a massive steam library so i feel like id make up the difference in price since id be pending at least $200 on games on a switch. big selling points are portability and being able to game on the couch while my wife watches tv and to also have a Linux desktop for personal PC stuff
aezmvp
heddleston said:

are people still loving theirs? considering one this summer vs a switch. I already have a massive steam library so i feel like id make up the difference in price since id be pending at least $200 on games on a switch. big selling points are portability and being able to game on the couch while my wife watches tv and to also have a Linux desktop for personal PC stuff
I absolutely love mine. I take it with me for carpool or travel and play it on the couch while the wife is watching something dreadful. Also have a hub set up to hook it up to the game room TV. It's fantastic. I have gotten through a huge backlog with it. Great platform. I also can emulate just about anything on it which is fantastic. If you're capable enough you can run switch games better than on the switch.
heddleston
AG
Just pulled the trigger on a good deal for 512gb on swappa. came with a killswitch grip/case and some other mods. its a present so i wont get to mess with it for a while, but im stoked!
heddleston
AG
And of course right as I do that, Steam puts them on sale. 10%, 15%, 20% off for the different models.
aezmvp
heddleston said:

And of course right as I do that, Steam puts them on sale. 10%, 15%, 20% off for the different models.
I'm desperately trying to avoid the Steam Sale stuff as I have the next game in the Trails series releasing on the 7th.
Red Five
AG
Are you still using the Nreal Air glasses with your deck? I was thinking about picking some up (now rebranded to Xreal). Are you able to charge the Deck while using the glasses using a USB hub?
AvsB
Love the idea of a steamdeck but i exclusively game on PlayStation, so it's overkill. I got a Logitech g cloud stream machine and it works awesome with remote play. It's just an android tablet with controls. If you can find at around $200-250 on sale and you stream game mostly it's worth it.
RIP ATMHockey
BadMoonRisin
AG
Dave the Diver. Awesome on steam deck.

Also got Grounded, Untitled Goose game, Dredge, Halls of Torment, Vampire Survivors from the steam sale.
aezmvp
Red Five said:

Are you still using the Nreal Air glasses with your deck? I was thinking about picking some up (now rebranded to Xreal). Are you able to charge the Deck while using the glasses using a USB hub?
So yes I'm absolutely doing that. Just had a 2 hour weather delay coming back to Dallas from O'Hare and used them the entire time. Can you charge it? Yes, but it requires some pretty specific stuff and your daisy chain gets out of control pretty quick. If you're going beyond a 4 hour session TBH the glasses will get kind of heavy/uncomfortable due to the weight. They're ideal for 2-4 hour sessions max right now. YMMV.

The deal with the hubs is that you need to have Display Port over USBC and that isn't as common as high input power. Red Magic has one (Chinese company but you can purchase off New Egg) and there are one or two others. Consult the Xreal subreddit for those.

There is a new accessory that allows the 3DoF with just about anything. I'm curious but probably won't pick it up anytime soon as it's not a high use case for me unless they add multi screen support in windows.

Again this is really 1st gen consumer stuff but I'm enjoying it quite a bit and use it 2-3x a week when I'm not travelling and more when I am.
Eliminatus
AG
The 10-15-20% sales are going on again. Man, I am always on the fence but it gets worse every time. The problem is I have a Switch with a fairly extensive digitial library. Bout 50 titles deep. Sunk cost is weighing me down hard as it always does. Especially now with Switch 2 development finally all but confirmed. The Deck is super appealing but I am not going to keep both I am sure. One or the other...

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else in the same boat?
aezmvp
I have only 20ish titles on the switch but I find myself playing the Deck a lot more. But I own a lot more on PC. The only title I've really had issues with was Hogwarts Legacy.
boy09
AG
Eliminatus said:

The Deck is super appealing but I am not going to keep both I am sure. One or the other...

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else in the same boat?
No. I just bought both.

I really only play the Switch hooked up to a TV. The Steam Deck is a much better handheld experience imo.
MedianEnjoyer2023
AG
BG3 runs impressively well on the deck. The wifey takes it on her work trips so we can keep the campaign rolling along.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.