What were you gaming on in college?

3,729 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NC2001
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MUDs were how I learned to type. I was in 3rd grade at the time.

HoloMUD and Ground Zero (the PVP one).
lb3
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

MUDs were how I learned to type. I was in 3rd grade at the time.

HoloMUD and Ground Zero (the PVP one).
You either learned to type fast, code(tintin++) or you quit playing.
Wheatables02
AG
Ps2 - NCAA 2000-2003, GTA 3 and Vice City

Gateway PC - Warcraft III, Starcraft
HtownAg92
AG
Commodore 64 if we did game, which was fairly rare. My roommate my F off year between graduation and law school had a SNES.

Most "gaming" was intramurals, Drill Field football, bar pool at the Chicken, Clicks, Alfred T's, dominos.
Pman17
AG
Xbox 360 as my main: Borderlands 2, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Skyrim.
Nintendo 3DS XL: Pokemon Black, Pokemon X
MacBook Pro with Bootcamp: Battlefield 4 and Minecraft
dabo man
AG
I had a NES at home in Beaumont. Mom wouldn't let me take it to school (started Fall 1990).

I got hooked on a game with ASCII graphics called Moria (I had a 286/16 MHz PC) in college. I still play its successor, Angband, to this day.
HossAg
AG
Gomer95 said:

I'm so glad there wasn't anything like today's consoles with online play when I was in college because I wouldn't have gotten anything done. It was hard enough with NES lol.
Fortnite blew up during my junior year (hardest year) of college. That was difficult to deal with.
KidDoc
AG
College was a pentium mostly playing Civilization 3 and then Ultima 8. We didn't have internet 91-95. Medical school we started to get internet and I got into quakeworld then a multiplayer gaming hub called Mplayer that was pretty dang fun. It was just a way to find quake type games and they had some fun custom modes. Luckily for my career Everquest launched at the end of medical school or that could have been trouble for me.

I did plenty of lacrosse & partying and studying at A&M as well as Civ 3 & Ultima. In medical school I was already married so mostly studied honestly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Fife
Undergrad:

Mac (G3/280MHz / P MMX/200MHz)
Marathon
Civ 2
Quake 1 and 2
Half Life
WinNuke back when dorms had static IP addresses and you wanted to blue screen your friend's Windows 95 box

Console
Tetris Attack
Kirby's Avalanche
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye
Gran Turismo
Super Smash Bros

Not current gen, in fall 2000 I found a 32X at Funcoland at Post Oak Mall and those and Sega CD games were cheap. Sonic CD, Flashback, Doom, Space Harrier, Knuckles Chaotix, and Mortal Kombat 2.

Grad school:
Civ 3
Vice City
GTA 3
Smash Melee
Smash Bros
AgCMT
AG
97/98 year we had a wired network between two four-plexes. We played StarCraft and WarCraft II way too much. I have no clue how I passed that year, but it was a blast! We may have played some Command & Conquer as well.

Man, what I would do to have a week with as little responsibilities as I had that year...and a wife that would understand the value of a week long gaming binge!
Cappo
AG
Halo
WoW
DotA 1
competitive Counter Strike
Philo B 93
I played a lot of Sega Genesis football during our downtime with roommates and those are some great college memories. That was pre-internet, and we trash talked in person and sometimes got into wrestling matches after a humiliating beat down in Madden.

I don't mean to sound negative here, but it seems a little sad to have spent so many hours of a short 4 year college experience in front of a screen by yourself playing an online game. I love the idea of the pre-tech days where games were pinball machines and pool.
SJEAg
AG
I agree. Glad I was in college when LAN parties were still a thing. I was at the dawn of mainstream online gaming as cable modems had just come out. But some of my fondest nerd memories was everyone bringing their PCs to someone's place and playing Quake, WarCraft II, and C&C all day. Aside from having to lug those huge tower boxes and CRT monitors around of course.
HtownAg92
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I played a lot of Sega Genesis football during our downtime with roommates and those are some great college memories. That was pre-internet, and we trash talked in person and sometimes got into wrestling matches after a humiliating beat down in Madden.

I don't mean to sound negative here, but it seems a little sad to have spent so many hours of a short 4 year college experience in front of a screen by yourself playing an online game. I love the idea of the pre-tech days where games were pinball machines and pool.

And intramurals. That was our main "gaming".

The Fife
Philo B 93 said:

Pretty much everything on my list was played with a group of friends in person. We had a room set up with a bunch of TVs and couches and it was where everyone hung out most of the time. Sometimes tournaments with winner and loser brackets set up, other times just 'who's down for some Kirby's Avalanche?' Consoles couldn't be networked yet anyway.

Networked PC gaming was a thing but a lot of the time that was done LAN party style. Only a couple of guys were more into playing Quake and Couterstrike online with strangers than with the rest of the group IRL.
bmc13
AG
PC
Cyprian
AG
Ah, good memories with LAN parties. Nerdiest one I did was travel from CS to west Houston to play Counterstrike. I had my desktop & monitor in my trunk (originally from the DFW area, I didn't know Houston well yet, no GPS, etc). I remember getting lost driving back at 1am... still worth it! I had a blast.
cr0wbar
AG
cr0wbar
AG
Aston (SOUFSIDE) 04-05. Played too much LAN Halo and Unreal tournament. CS 1.6 and some Guild Wars for good measure.
JTA1029
AG
Took an Xbox 360 and a PC to A&M in 2006.

Halo, guitar hero, NCAA, and Tiger Woods were the console staples.

PC was mostly Civ 4 and WoW until i got into League of Legends my senior year.

Good times.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
N64/XBOX/XBOX 360
Jeeper79
AG
PS2 and Dreamcast. Plus a full sized arcade machine with custom control panel and the full MAME library.
agz win
AG
Intellivision and undefeated in the sporting games although almost lost once in basketball until I unintentionally racked him in the junk. He was mad.
dabo man
AG
I can remember that my favorite Intellivision football play was 9914
degreedy
AG
Madmarttigan said:

2005… WoW almost got me kicked out.
Call of duty almost did the same for me in '06-'07
CrottyKid
AG
PS2
Ace Combat
Ncaa Football
Twisted Metal 2
Tekken Tag Tournament
Jinx
AgCMT said:

97/98 year we had a wired network between two four-plexes. We played StarCraft and WarCraft II way too much. I have no clue how I passed that year, but it was a blast! We may have played some Command & Conquer as well.

Man, what I would do to have a week with as little responsibilities as I had that year...and a wife that would understand the value of a week long gaming binge!

Every couple of years or so, I take a week long vacation from work for my birthday. The kids go off to grandmas (summer or spring break) and I sit at home and do exactly that.

By day 3 or 4, it's out of my system

Then I usually grab the husband and kids and we take a nice daytrip as a family before I dive back into reality. Being a mom makes it very hard to take time to myself without feeling guilty about it. Husband knows gaming is my #1 form of escapism and is fine with it, and finds it highly amusing.

Back in college, I was playing FFX, Baldurs Gate and Starcraft Brood War. Sooo much starcraft. Twisted Metal: Black was also played heavily. I also played a browser game called Utopia (which still exists, I believe)
FaithfulAg04
AG
2001:
StarCraft
Unreal Tournament

2002-2004:
WW2 Online Blitzkrieg
Dr Mario on SNES with a girl I was banging, eventually married. That's when I realized she might be smarter than me.
NC2001
AG
From '97 - '01 , most of my buddies and I played PC games. Mainly Command & Conquer: Red Alert during dead week.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.