Apple October 2021 Event

7,905 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by java94
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pman17 said:

Ordered the 16" with 1TB SSD, 16Core GPU, and 32GB RAM.
Mac $3099
Apple Care $399
Taxes $288

Glad I have an Apple Card...

Upgrading from a 9.5 year old MacBook Pro Retina i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Was similarly priced.

I ordered and cancelled twice, eventually ending up with this same configuration on the 3rd order. I'm replacing a Mid-2012 15" High Res 2.3 GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and 512 GB spinning HD. I bought it refurbished for around $1600.

Hoping this new one lasts me until retirement!
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

I don't like silicon tipped headphones, have never been able to get a good fit and don't like the pressurized feel. I'm also fine without noise cancelling in ear buds.

This is the entire reason I love apple headphones, silicon tips are the worst. Apple headphones are so perfect for my ears I have no idea if they are in or out sometimes.

Yeah I agree, with the Pros they're either in and I don't like the sealed pressurized feel, or they aren't in and so the noise cancelling isn't as effective.

To make things worse I did the fit test that you can perform through the settings of an iPhone and all 3 tip sizes passed lol.
fig96
AG
evan_aggie said:

I was surprised because the step function was...

13" MBA $1000
13" MBP $1300 / $300
14" MBP $2000 / $700
16" MBP $2500 / $500

Honestly the $13" MBP is sort of an odd product. Basically the same as the MBA + 70 nits of brightness, touchback, 2 hrs battery life.

That's right in line with how they've generally been. I think the 15" started at 1799 a couple years ago.

Agreed on the 13" MBP though, performance between that and the M1 Air are very similar and while it does have a fan that rarely has to kick in due to how cool the M1 CPU runs. I'm theory it's should run cooler for intense tasks like video or 3D rendering, but that's what the new machines are now aimed at.
rynning
AG
Nice little video that talks me off the ledge

Pman17
AG
Yea, after seeing the M1 iPad Pro, there's no reason to get the Max unless you're in film editing 8K videos or working at Pixar or a game company. Apple as pretty much created an industrial product category which is the M1 Max, Mac Pro, and iPad Pro with M1.
evan_aggie
AG
What's hard to imagine: M1 Max is incredibly powerful and they still haven't kicked Intel out of the Mac Pro Xeon products.
fig96
AG
I mean, they've been announced for like a week

And a lot of y'all underestimate the need for machines like this for designers, animators, motion graphic artists, editors, etc. They won't be used by big animations studios for the most part (they're all on workstations) but for corporate and freelance artists these have been a long time coming.

I know a lot of designers and animators who have already ordered one or will be ordering, myself included.
evan_aggie
AG
fig96 said:

Apple has announced Mac Pro workstation product upgrades?
fig96
AG
evan_aggie said:

fig96 said:

Apple has announced Mac Pro workstation product upgrades?
No, I mean they just announced the chips a week ago so they're not going to be in everything at this point.
Phat32
AG
Just got a 13" MB Air through work which is phenomenal, but am going to re-gift it and order the 14" Pro. The extra screen real estate, ports and speed is enough for me.
Pman17
AG
My Mac shipped this morning. Glad I ordered it immediately after the show. Shipping times are slipping into December.
flakrat
AG
Work finally processed my request for a quote today. Submitted the request the same day as the event.

Hope it doesn't get stuck at the port until next spring.
flakrat
AG
And it's still going through the system at work, figure I'm going to get it after black Friday.
Pman17
AG
Typing on the new Mac. The fans don't come on.
fig96
AG
They don't on the 13" M1 MBP either.

Which one did you get?
Pman17
AG
fig96 said:

Which one did you get?
16" M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD, Base 16 Core Graphics

Yea, the battery life on this is nuts. Doing just document work on this barely drains the battery. Think I did an hour to two hours of work and the battery only drained 4%. The Verge calculated like 16 hours or battery life for just word processing work.
fig96
AG
Pman17 said:

fig96 said:

Which one did you get?
16" M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD, Base 16 Core Graphics

Yea, the battery life on this is nuts. Doing just document work on this barely drains the battery. Think I did an hour to two hours of work and the battery only drained 4%. The Verge calculated like 16 hours or battery life for just word processing work.
Awesome, that is a beast of a machine. And yeah, the M1 is just crazy efficient. Even on my 13" I'll have it cranking on video encodes and renders and I can't recall hearing the fan. My 16" Intel MBP fan runs allll the time.

Looking at similar specs for a 14" and might push to the M1 Max depending on benchmarks, have a bit of time as I'll probably buy in January.
CAR96
AG
Just got a 13" Mac Book Air with the M1 chip....first apple based laptop and I am impressed. The battery holds on to for 4-5 days of use.
flakrat
AG
My 16" M1 Pro with 32GB RAM and 10C CPU, 32C GPU is shipping. Can't wait to be able to code and hack for more than a few hours on battery!

Oh, and can't wait to leave the butterfly keyboard behind!
adamsbq06
AG
I am a sucker for apple products... I bought the 14" M1 Pro Base model (16GB RAM, 512HD)

That being said if anyone wants to buy a <1yr old M1 MacBook 13.3 with AppleCare... I know someone selling one
andy@andrewadamsav.com
adamsbq06
AG
CAR96 said:

Just got a 13" Mac Book Air with the M1 chip....first apple based laptop and I am impressed. The battery holds on to for 4-5 days of use.
I think I was charing my 13Inch M1 about once a week. the M1 Pro doesn't quite have the same battery performance
andy@andrewadamsav.com
k20dub
AG
Ordered an M1 Max 16". I just bought an FX3 and I want a machine that can more than handle editing in 10 bit 4K 4:2:2. I have to wait a month for it to come in though. Anyone seen these in stock anywhere?

Edit to add: debating on going with just the Pro instead of Max. I edit using Premier and everything I'm seeing on YouTube has the Max handling it better. Though you get much better battery on the Pro…
Pman17
AG
Yea, from all of the reviews I've seen, seems like the Max is the special use case like the Mac Pro for those that edit big budget films in 8K. Now I'm hearing, upgrading to 32GB on the Pro of Unified Memory has no benefit, even long term and even if the swap memory happens on the SSD which kinda makes me upset for splurging $400 on that. Sounds like 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB of Unified memory, 16 cores of GPU, and whatever storage you need is good enough. Saw this iJustine video of a guy editing 8K raw on the base 16" and didn't hiccup.
fig96
AG
My guess would be that anything with the M1 Max will be a custom order.

There probably isn't enough demand for the chip to stock it in Apple Stores, not to mention most customers looking for that would probably customize the RAM/drive/etc.
Desert Power
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

I am a sucker for apple products... I bought the 14" M1 Pro Base model (16GB RAM, 512HD)

That being said if anyone wants to buy a <1yr old M1 MacBook 13.3 with AppleCare... I know someone selling one

What are you looking to sell it for
adamsbq06
AG
I was hoping to get $1400, I figure the value of the remaining AppleCare + is ~$200 and a fair value for the computer itself is somewhere between $1200-$1300

I am open to offers but I also know what apple would give me for a trade.

I also have an i5,32GB,512GB MacMini to sell as well

Im in San Antonio, but I wouldn't mind shipping
andy@andrewadamsav.com
adamsbq06
AG
I f you are interested HMU, andy@andrewadamsav.com
andy@andrewadamsav.com
evan_aggie
AG
What would Apple give you for a trade?

I have a 13.3" MBP 7C GPU 16GB ram and they offered me $800.
adamsbq06
AG
A little more than that. Plus I can get a refund for AppleCare.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
k20dub
AG
Got the M1 Max from Best Buy today. Playing back clips in premier in full 4K resolution with zero lag is worth the upgrade in itself if you do a lot of video editing. The battery life seems really good and I've had zero fans turn on yet...
Phat32
AG
Just got the 14" in my hands and boy does it fly. No fans and battery is still at 100% after using it for 30 minutes.
adamsbq06
AG
what config?
Phat32
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

what config?

14" M1 Pro with 16GB RAM - I do not need more than that. It absolutely flies. The battery life is incredible.

The lower half of it is bigger than I expected, but they have made the screen much thinner.

Have not noticed the notch yet. Screen is fantastic.
java94
AG
java94 said:

Pman17 said:

Ordered the 16" with 1TB SSD, 16Core GPU, and 32GB RAM.
Mac $3099
Apple Care $399
Taxes $288

Glad I have an Apple Card...

Upgrading from a 9.5 year old MacBook Pro Retina i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Was similarly priced.

I ordered and cancelled twice, eventually ending up with this same configuration on the 3rd order. I'm replacing a Mid-2012 15" High Res 2.3 GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and 512 GB spinning HD. I bought it refurbished for around $1600.

Hoping this new one lasts me until retirement!
Mine arrived today, just over 3 weeks from order. Loving it so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.