Elden Ring Trailer Leak

38,187 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TriumphForks
Chase McGuire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After almost 2 years of no info after the 2019 reveal trailer, it looks like we're finally seeing some Elden Ring footage leak online. This is supposedly on old, internal trailer, but it's got enough in it to give a sense of the game's direction. Keep in mind that the video quality is poor and it's captured off-screen too.

I know this won't set the board on fire, but I figured TriumphForks and a few others might like to nerd out about it with me.

Looks like Dark Souls in the main, but with possible stealth and horseback options. Excited to see more.

Edit: Another little bit of footage from a cutscene. Linked below.

https://streamable.com/p9t4wb

https://streamable.com/ykc5u5
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't realize this was a FromSoftware game. Watching the trailer I kept thinking, "well, somebody wanted to make an Elder Scrolls game but have it look like Dark Souls".
Chase McGuire

Oh yeah, probably should have included that. Here's the first trailer we got.
spag.ag2003
AG
Word is it's an early internal trailer that was never meant to see the light of day. Check out Project Beast trailer on YouTube and compare to the actual Bloodborne final product for reference (although that one has way better resolution than these leaks).

Great to get any kind of nugget on the game though and rumors suggest there will be official press very soon.

NEVERMIND just realized OP already said basically everything I just did.
Halibut
AG
Hearing it probably won't be out this year, so I'm trying not to get too hyped for it yet.
DallasTeleAg
I have a couple thoughts on the game, from what little we know. First of all, I have played and beaten Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro (Demon Souls remake is on my list). Bloodborne is still my favorite game from the last generation and I have beaten it multiple times. The idea of a FromSoftware open world RPG style game sounds fantastic, on the surface, but i do have two main concerns:

1. FromSoftware games are not where I go for fantastic narrative. The stories are fine, but they are very nuanced and don't really give you much information. Now, that can possibly be a good thing in Elden Ring, if they make you really work for the story and they actually PROVIDE it, but I lean towards the fear that they can't execute a great long storyline, along with multiple side storylines. I know George RR Martin is involved with that, so hopefully they figure something out.

2. FromSoftware games are fun; don't get me wrong. But I definitely can't sit back and just relax when I play them. My favorite RPGs like Elder Scrolls 3, 4, and 5 or Breath of the Wild, are all games I am able to relax and enjoy without having my heart beating hard the entire time. By the time I get to the end of FromSoftware games, I am ready to beat them and get to play something more relaxing for a time. I don't want that feeling in a long, RPG.

These concerns may turn out to be unfounded, but they are definitely my fears when hearing about this game, though I am also excited about it at the same time.
Chase McGuire
I don't think you should expect much different from a storytelling or challenge perspective. The game will likely still be cryptic and hard as nails since that's basically a FROM trademark at this point. I expect this to be much more like Dark Souls than BotW, Witcher 3 or any other open world RPG.

I do think there will be sections of the world that are much more open than the labyrinthine layout of the Souls games though, and I worry about that. The level design of their previous games is pretty much unmatched and rewards exploration perfectly, so I don't want to lose that aspect just for more open space.

But honestly, I kinda trust them to do whatever they want and make it great. They haven't steered me wrong yet.
bluefire579
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

1. FromSoftware games are not where I go for fantastic narrative. The stories are fine, but they are very nuanced and don't really give you much information. Now, that can possibly be a good thing in Elden Ring, if they make you really work for the story and they actually PROVIDE it, but I lean towards the fear that they can't execute a great long storyline, along with multiple side storylines. I know George RR Martin is involved with that, so hopefully they figure something out.
I wouldn't expect anything to change narrative-wise. Miyazaki has spoken about how as a child he could only understand parts of the books he read in English, and how he would use his imagination to fill in the blanks. This is clearly how he builds his games.

One of the things I absolutely love about the Souls games is that they don't beat you over the head with the story, but instead present the initial idea and leave the rest for the player to find and draw the connections in their own mind. I have yet to find developers as skilled at indirect storytelling, whether through item descriptions, item placement, or the environments themselves.

I do think it suffered a bit by Dark Souls 3, but Bloodborne (haven't played Sekiro yet) was an absolute masterpiece in how they told the story in my opinion. I'm looking forward to what they'll be able to do narratively with GRRM involved.
Chase McGuire
As I understand it, GRRM helped design and flesh out the overall mythos of the new world rather than the details of the current story of the game as it relates to your character, so I'm sure we'll see a lot of his work within item descriptions, which is where most of the fun lore usually is.
bluefire579
AG
There's an actual trailer now

DallasTeleAg
Gah... January? Too long.
Chase McGuire
Hype levels don't get higher than this for me.
Halibut
AG
It looks so good.
XXXVII
Prediction: It gets delayed past Jan 2022.
spag.ag2003
AG
Man, my hype was already high but this trailer blew me away. It honestly looks like the culmination of everything they've learned from Demons through Sekiro.

Art direction is just bonkers as usual.
Max Power
AG
Oh look, an incredible game I'll suck real bad at.
bluefire579
AG
Miyazaki gave a bit more information on the game, mostly lore.

https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-director-finally-opens-up-about-his-latest-e-1847094144

Edit: The kotaku article summarizes this interview, for those interested: https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming
DallasTeleAg
Max Power said:

Get better!
Matt_ag98
DallasTeleAg said:

Max Power said:

Get better!

I think the proper terminology is "Git Gud"
bluefire579
AG
https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-intro-leak-from-software-dark-souls-cinemati-1848556910

Intro cinematic leaked. About what you'd expect, very vague and likely setting up a bunch of the big bosses you'll encounter.

Just over a week away!
DallasTeleAg
I've got my preorder done at Gamestop. Cannot wait for this game. I've only watched a little bit of the playthroughs on YouTube, but not too much. I don't want anything ruined for my first playthrough and have not seen the very beginning. Have no idea what class I'm going to play, but I'm sure they will all be feasible.
bbattbq01
AG
I can't decide whether to buy it on PC or PS5
bluefire579
AG
I went PS5 since I've done Playstation for every iteration since Demon's Souls. Did my preorder through Amazon. Unfortunately already have plans on Friday, so probably won't get to play much then, but should get some good time in that weekend.
bbattbq01
AG
Went ahead and ordered it from PS store this morning. My couch and oled beat out my computer. If mods ever make the PC version something extra incredible I'm sure will be able to pick it up on steam for cheap during a sale!
TriumphForks
AG
Hah! Came over here looking for an Elden ring thread and just saw this thread for the first time. So freaking hyped for Friday!! I took 2/25-3/4 off work so I could jump in with both feet. Will be streaming my first playthrough on YouTube.
spag.ag2003
AG
Hype is reaching dangerous levels - apparently this game is MASSIVE.

Still absolutely no clue what starting class/build I want to roll on the first run.
YouBet
AG
Very intrigued but if it has difficulty like the Souls games then I'm going to wait and see.
DallasTeleAg
YouBet said:

Very intrigued but if it has difficulty like the Souls games then I'm going to wait and see.
GIT GUD!
TriumphForks
AG
Rumor is Elden ring is more "welcoming" to new players…. Whatever that means
DallasTeleAg
TriumphForks said:

Except, from what I have seen, the giant mini boss sitting right outside the starting area, lol.
bluefire579
AG
TriumphForks said:

Miyzaki mentioned in an interview that it'll still be hard, but he feels the more open aspect will be more forgiving to players who get stuck in a certain area.
YNWA_AG
AG

bluefire579
AG
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22947204/elden-ring-review-from-software
BadMoonRisin
AG
Ive never played a Dark Souls game....should i play any prereqs? not a huge fan of pre-ordering a game and can wait, but I do want to try out my new PC with a current gen AAA game.
rangerdanger
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Ive never played a Dark Souls game....should i play any prereqs? not a huge fan of pre-ordering a game and can wait, but I do want to try out my new PC with a current gen AAA game.

I've played all of them and still have no idea what's going on from a "story" sense. The lore is wrapped in the environment and items, and the games are relatively self contained. You can definitely jump into any of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.