Valheim

24,089 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redline248
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started playing this last Friday and played for a couple days before I lost power. Great game so far, can't wait to get back to it after work today.

Anybody else playing?
WGann3
AG
Yep, it's pretty cool. These types of survivalcraft games aren't typically my bag, but I've been playing with a bunch of buddies on a dedicated server and we've been having a blast. I can't believe this game is only 1 GB, it's massive. I love the combination of throwback visuals with the use of modern capabilities. The lighting is flat out incredible.
javajaws
AG
I think I read somewhere their development team is like 5 people. That size company certainly mandates a certain efficiency in everything you do.
joemeister
AG
Based on the number of copies they have already sold, they should now be 5 very rich people.
YouBet
AG
It's in my queue. I have about 10 survival type games in my queue and I never buy one. I'm hesitant to play these types of games because I frankly have no desire to play games that make me rage quit these days. I want to have fun and not get pissed off.

kb2001
AG
I picked it up and have played a bit. I haven't had time to do a long session, but it seems pretty cool so far.
C@LAg
do not have it yet, but i wish it was first person.
homebuildingag
AG
Great game! Needs a TexAgs server!
javajaws
AG
YouBet said:

It's in my queue. I have about 10 survival type games in my queue and I never buy one. I'm hesitant to play these types of games because I frankly have no desire to play games that make me rage quit these days. I want to have fun and not get pissed off.

I've done the same but this one is a bit different. More of an easier progression in this one it seems. Or rather it let's you pick your own pace/difficulty better.
YouBet
AG
javajaws said:

YouBet said:

I've done the same but this one is a bit different. More of an easier progression in this one it seems. Or rather it let's you pick your own pace/difficulty better.
Good to know. Thanks.
dcaggie04
AG
This is probably the surprise and best value for 2021 so far. Don't know if else will come close for the remainder of the year. This is an early access game with tons of content. Got a good road map for things they are working on. Will be cool to see what they add.

I do know they have said there will be 9 biomes with each having its only boss.

They've also made mention that this game will probably go up in price when it leaves early release. So even if you don't plan on playing right now, I would recommend picking it up for $20.
KidDoc
AG
I've been hearing lots of buzz about this one. I'll have to watch some gameplay videos sometime and see if I want to dig in. I usually don't like these survival games either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenFiasco14
AG
Will this be coming to Xbox?

It's like Subnautica and No Mans Sky, right?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
dcaggie04
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Will this be coming to Xbox?

It's like Subnautica and No Mans Sky, right?

Haven't seen anything about it coming to consoles yet.
Bregxit
AG
I started a server...TexAgsNerdery. PW is TexAgs2021
fav13andac1)c
AG
My first death in this game was a tree falling on me.
WGann3
AG
As was mine and 95% of the playerbase.
javajaws
AG
My number one cause of death so far has been trolls. But now that I've got a fine wood I've got their number so long as I'm out in the open.

I'm just about ready to tackle the second boss now that I've got full bronze armor.
C@LAg
javajaws said:

now that I've got a fine wood I've got their number so long as I'm out in the open.

I'm just about ready to tackle the second boss
FIDO95
AG
I've been loving this game. It can be frustrating when you die because your loot drops and you have to go retrieve it. I've killed the second boss and currently trying to finish out iron armor and weapons before fighting the third. I keep getting sidetracked though as I'm currently trying to kill a serpent for ingredients for a Scale Shield.

If you're getting started, don't build a huge base inland. (I wasted a lot of time with that mistake). Build a main port on the coast. Once you have bronze you can build a karve and transport by boat. Portals also help but you can't transfer metal ore and ingots through them.

If you're interested in it, ESO does some great tutorials.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
I just watched a video on Steam and it played to death metal with lyrics, "VIKINGS! RAISE THE SHIELD WALL! ON THE FRONT LINES! FIGHT TO DIE!"

Bought it.
FIDO95
AG
YouBet said:

I just watched a video on Steam and it played to death metal with lyrics, "VIKINGS! RAISE THE SHIELD WALL! ON THE FRONT LINES! FIGHT TO DIE!"

Bought it.

You just signed away hours of your life for 10 ingots of shiny iron... oh my precious iron...

?itemid=16819338
kb2001
AG
Decent video talking about some of the mechanics that make this game different from other survival games

https://odysee.com/@UpperEchelonGamers:3/valheim-is-incredible-indie-spotlight-10

Seemingly minor changes that have an impact on the risk/reward, the monotony of grinding, and how it takes aspects of other game types to keep it more engaging
YouBet
AG
I'm kind of in love with this game. Don't really know what I'm doing though. I'm running to the edge of the map to try and find some coastline.

My first death was because my dumb wife was yelling about a bug on the floor. That's when I realized you can't really pause the game and I was on the edge of a Black Forest and got killed by Grey Dwarves who wouldn't stop following me after the crow told me I had no business being there.

I'm filing divorce papers in the morning.
javajaws
AG
Wait until you discover how much of a Troll your wife is and you just can't get rid of her.
FIDO95
AG
YouBet said:

Bought it.
I ran across the video I think you were talking about:

I'm concerned that there is some kind of subliminal messaging going on as I found myself banging my head. I don't even like death metal!? I then kicked a dog and bought the game again.
YouBet
AG
Ha. You actually can pause (ESC key), but I was using my Xbox controller and normal pausing doesn't translate here to PC. It's more of a hybrid for those wanting to use a game pad. Gamepad works to play the game, but you will need mouse for menus in some cases still.

Went online and some of the structures people have built are incredible. The flexibility here with that is impressive as hell. One dude built a Millennium Falcon replica long boat. Lol.
YouBet
AG
Yes, that is it.
Bregxit
AG
YouBet said:

Ha. You actually can pause (ESC key), but I was using my Xbox controller and normal pausing doesn't translate here to PC. It's more of a hybrid for those wanting to use a game pad. Gamepad works to play the game, but you will need mouse for menus in some cases still.

Went online and some of the structures people have built are incredible. The flexibility here with that is impressive as hell. One dude built a Millennium Falcon replica long boat. Lol.

Go check out The Pilgrimz Project channel on Youtube. That guy is building a lot of different traditional Viking structures that are amazing. Roundhouses, long houses, mead halls, etc.
YouBet
AG
I'm going to try and build a split level home down a pretty steep hill side. Has a great view of the water and sits between two forests on either side.

Also, I'm stumbling my way through my first building structure and finally figure out I have to cover my bench and first bed and as I'm putting a roof over my bed I walk through my fire pit, burn up, and die. Have to run about 5 game miles back to this spot.

Dammit!
redline248
AG
This game has taken over my life
redline248
AG
Workstation needs a roof

Bed needs a fire
javajaws
AG
Planning pays off! I had decided to beef up my defenses around my home base the other day by building a moat (a dry moat). Took me like 3-4 in game days to dig it out. Literally a few minutes after getting it done...a Troll shows up. Had never seen one at my base before. I sat and watched him for awhile then eventually decided to kill him.

On the flip side of the coin I built my first base inland. On my seed its pretty far to the coast in any direction and most of the coast is black forest. The one meadows I found had a troll cave on it!!!

I think I finally found a new home spot though on a hillside with ocean access. It's not too far from a couple swamps and a mountain region as well as having a direct water inlet to the ocean. The temptation to cheat and reveal the map is high but I'm trying to resist!
javajaws
AG
Has anybody been playing on the server Bregxit setup? I'd be cool to get together with others.

I like how they let you move your character around (including his inventory!) between worlds.
Bregxit
AG
javajaws said:

Has anybody been playing on the server Bregxit setup? I'd be cool to get together with others.

I like how they let you move your character around (including his inventory!) between worlds.

If y'all want to get together I'd suggest rolling a new server. Mine has a crappy seed. Had to sail across the ocean just to get to the Black Forest and there are no burial dungeons there that I could find.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.