Life found on Venus??? (Twitter Rumor)

8,534 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HossAg
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the record, I've been blue-staring all of your posts for the entertainment factor, not because I agree with your view point.
PatAg
AG
Tibbers said:

Fantastical explanation but purely theoretical and regardless of evolution of thought, the capability is still innate in humans. No matter how much time passes, a giraffe will never have the capability to create even a road, let alone a city or even further a spacecraft.

It's interesting to think that there is intelligent life out there but we should not let that hinder our imagination to turn once inhabitable planets into new homes. I still think that is the point. They act as a carrot at the end of a stick, constant goal and reminder when we look up at the Heavens.

So my question remains, what do you consider intelligent life? My definition places that honus on us and only us.

Further, if we want to get into the realm of possibility its even more likely that if aliens ever did greet us, they wouldn't be aliens at all but rather humans from another planet and time but thats probably a bit too fantastical.
What does Honus Wagner have to do with the price of tea in China?
Tibbers
Yeah yeah yeah. I do wish I had his card however!
Tibbers
ok, prove me wrong then.

Point to any instance other than humans that have the ability to even read and write let alone that evolution will one day bring them from the sea to land. The idea that if we just wait x million years and it'll happen is more entertaining to me as it is solely based on faith, something you detest in others. It's hilarious! We have zero fossil records to suggest this. We have zero representations in our current lexicon to suggest this. You have a theory, that is it.

You just don't like it because you hate religion and it ruffles your poor little feathers. Hilarious!

I also find it funny that science of old was in the quest to understand the complexities of a world created by God and now it seems science's quest is to disprove His existence, at least from ilk like yourself.

Don't like it? Prove me wrong then. Support your theory with...you know, evidence.

So again, show me one example of an animal on the cusp of getting on humanity's level.

The world has been here quite a long time and its not just Christianity that believes this.
AggieFrog
AG
Tibbers said:

ok, prove me wrong then.

Point to any instance other than humans that have the ability to even read and write let alone that evolution will one day bring them from the sea to land. The idea that if we just wait x million years and it'll happen is more entertaining to me as it is solely based on faith, something you detest in others. It's hilarious! We have zero fossil records to suggest this. We have zero representations in our current lexicon to suggest this. You have a theory, that is it. At least my theory is grounded in reality. You just don't like it because you hate religion and it ruffles your poor little feathers. Hilarious!

So again, show me one example of an animal on the cusp of getting on humanity's level.

The world has been here quite a long time and its not just Christianity that believes this.
And humans have been on earth roughly 0.15% of the age of the earth (6 million of 4 billion years). The earth has been here quite a long time and 99.85% of that time was before humans ever appeared. It's a little short sighted to say it could never happen again given the sun has multiple billion more years to go.
HossAg
AG
It's incredible how ignorant and bold in your statements you are at the same time. I can't even have a real discussion with you because you don't operate on actual logic.
Tibbers
Yes lots of things could happen. All I'm asking for is one example outside of humanity where it has. Anything could happen. This all stemmed from the idea that it would happen here with any sort of animal species on Earth. The scientific theory usually requires evidence for a theory to be taken seriously. If you can point to any evidence for me to take your theory seriously, I'm all ears.

What you are saying is anything can happen so we can't discount anything. Thats ludicrous and flies in the face of actual research. I mean, I could say that one day I will have 4 arms like Goro from Mortal Kombat or one day we will encounter a race like the Gorn from Star Trek but thats fantasy thats not grounded in reality.

So, again, prove your insane theory.
HossAg
AG
Imagine thinking it takes the same mental leap of Tibbers growing four arms to assume that the evolutionary process that humans went through can't happen again with another species because it hasn't happened already.
labmansid
Tibbers said:

ok, prove me wrong then.

Point to any instance other than humans that have the ability to even read and write let alone that evolution will one day bring them from the sea to land. The idea that if we just wait x million years and it'll happen is more entertaining to me as it is solely based on faith, something you detest in others. It's hilarious! We have zero fossil records to suggest this. We have zero representations in our current lexicon to suggest this. You have a theory, that is it.

You just don't like it because you hate religion and it ruffles your poor little feathers. Hilarious!

I also find it funny that science of old was in the quest to understand the complexities of a world created by God and now it seems science's quest is to disprove His existence, at least from ilk like yourself.

Don't like it? Prove me wrong then. Support your theory with...you know, evidence.

I'm still a bit puzzled how we got on this debate from a report of the remote (literally) possibility of a primitive life form in the atmosphere of Venus.

You keep asking for proof, but the proof is in the fossil records. Those records distinctly point to the proof of evolution as a natural process, even though at this point it is still basically regarded as a theory only. One that is most likely proven true, but still a theory. That's the thing about science, it doesn't require faith that something invisible is true, and science doesn't declare something is true without the irrefutable evidence to support it. You have no irrefutable evidence that we are the only beings with at least the same level of intelligence as us. That's the thing about science. It knows when it makes mistakes or false assumptions, and admits them and moves on with the new proof. Most scientists probably don't have a real issue with religions, just don't force them on others and use it to do harm.

You keep throwing out the lack of a "Kevin Costner/Waterworld" gill man and "photosynthetic person" to prove evolution is a hoax. To the contrary, evolution doesn't exactly work that way. So far there likely has been no pressure to humans to evolve that way. Why grow gills or chlorophyllic cells when there is absolutely no pressure to do so to survive? Humans have evolved to use their critical thinking and adaptiveness to survive changing conditions. Even if that somehow happened in the past, that mutation likely would not have survived long enough to pass on those genes, given how so many of our species are seemingly violently repulsed by individuals that exhibit marked differences from the rest. Did you not actually watch "Waterworld" and see the reactions he got when his mutation was discovered?

You seem to claim that humans are perfect now and always have been since the creation of the world. Forgive me if that is a false assumption. And that humans have not evolved since their creation. If we were truly born of a single pair of our species, we should all look mostly alike. I could make the argument that humans have indeed evolved in noticeable ways. Look at the different races that originated from different parts of the globe. Darker colored skin is found predominantly in the warmer sun-filled climates near the equator. This helps protect from skin cancer caused by the harsher rays of the sun in those areas. Sickle-cell disease is almost exclusively found in the tropics. You know what else is also almost exclusively found in the tropics? Malaria carrying mosquitoes. Did you know that Sickle-cell disease red cells are highly resistant to infection from the malarial parasites? Hmm? Sickle-cell just could be an evolutionary adaption to avoid getting malaria, although at some cost to the carrier.

Humans have also shown that we don't like competition from others. If another species has shown in the past that it may be trying to become equals to or surpass us, I have no doubt that uprising would have been squashed handily by our ancestors. There is some evidence that this may have happened with the Neanderthal. Look at what has happened to many ancient civilizations that we have proof of. And much of that was done in the name of religion.
goodAg80
AG
Sadly, evolution can make not just advances, but also reversals. Blind salamanders are an example. It seems Tibbers is on a reversal path for humans. There was an authoritative documentary that said this could happen.

Devolution Documentary

Tibbers
I am pointing to the theory that we originated from apes. Thats the critical point of evolution as a whole and Huxley's thesis. We do not see that in the fossil record at all. Instead, we see a spontaneity of humanity. Yes, when we move away from the cradle of civilization and separate, we see distinctions due to the areas we have chosen to congregate. This does not fundamentally change us or our DNA. They are mutations that naturally occur that make us better for the given area. We however do not see in the fossil record a gradual change from ape to man nor do we see in the fossil record any animal doing the same. Darwin never went as far as Huxley which unfortunately muddied the waters of evolutionary theory as a whole.

All we see are dominant traits succeeding through dominance and death. Thats not the same thing as we evolved from ooze to ape to man.
labmansid
goodAg80 said:

Sadly, evolution can make not just advances, but also reversals. Blind salamanders are an example. It seems Tibbers is on a reversal path for humans. There was an authoritative documentary that said this could happen.

Devolution Documentary

Tibbers
Ad hominem attacks are the hallmark of someone who has lost the argument. Or as Thatcher put it, "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."
goodAg80
AG
Tibbers said:

Ad hominem attacks are the hallmark for someone who has lost the argument. Or as Thatcher put it, "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."
When you chose not to read what people actually wrote, people will start making fun of you. It gets pointless to debate someone who is deliberately obtuse like you are being.

There is an immense amount of paleontological and genetic evidence pointing to humans evolving from other primate life forms. Your theory pointing to the "critical" transition is silly. Every time this approach has been tried to refute evolution more evidence filling the imagined gap gets found. Everyone will acknowledge a pristine and all encompassing collection of hard evidence will never happen, but that is due to the decay of such evidence. Genetic research is getting more and more powerful and will be able to fill every gap you come up with as you keep moving the goal post.

labmansid
Tibbers said:

Ad hominem attacks are the hallmark of someone who has lost the argument. Or as Thatcher put it, "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."
What did I do to attack you personally? I also think personal attacks have no place in a legitimate, if spirited, debate. If you took what I said personally, I apologize, because that was certainly not my intention. I was just stating what I believed were counterpoints to what I thought you were debating. I even apologized in advance if I was mistaken about your premise.
Tibbers
I have read and responded to every single word posed to me in this thread. Thats ridiculous to say that I have not. You clearly haven't read this entire thread. To say that I am a representation of that wonderful film is hilarious. Its also an indictment on religion as a whole as if to say I am devolved for believing what I believe and you are somehow evolved for turning away from religion.

Look up at the article that I posted during the start of this debate from the BBC that makes the exact claims I am making. We have decidedly not evolved. That comes from evolutionary scientists. The article also talks about their lack of ability to connect the dots through fossil records. They have been trying since Huxley made his now famous assertion.
goodAg80
AG
Quote:

Its also an indictment on religion as a whole as if to say I am devolved for believing what I believe.
I did not mention religion.

If your particular religion hinges on evolution not being real, that is indeed a heavy burden. I can see why this impacts you so much.
Star Wars Memes Only
Sad to see a thread about such an interesting and exciting discovery devolve into a thread about the same inane creationist drivel that should have been put to sleep a hundred years ago.
HossAg
AG
In other news, bodies of water were discovered below the surface of Mars.
benMath08
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Sad to see a thread about such an interesting and exciting discovery devolve into a thread about the same inane creationist drivel that should have been put to sleep a hundred years ago.
Ah, the duality of man TexAgs
herb96
AG
LOL, he is giving Mark Sargent a run for his money.
Star Wars Memes Only
Turns out this discovery may have been nothing more than sulfur dioxide misidentified: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/319613-phosphine-venus-atmosphere-life-sulfur
PatAg
AG
redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

I read some of an article about this, seems the evidence is the existence of a gas. However, the gas exists on half the planets in our solar system. Yet, they say it can only be produced by living organisms. I think we're going to find out that it's produced in other ways.

I would imagine they have reasons for thinking this particular occurrence meant a sign of life while the others don't, no?

For attention? Funding?

Do you have reason to think that's their motive? Seems like quite an assumption to make.

Is it that hard to believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Yes, it is harder to believe that there is life on Venus than it is to believe that the reason for this announcement is to advance the scientists careers.
This is a statement that can only be made by someone with no understanding of the scientific world.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if microorganisms are common.

There are microbes which survive off the reaction between water and limestone - and I think we deliberately sent some small organisms to the moon, which will survive there, to ensure there's life outside of just Earth.

I also would not be surprised if crude and natural gas end up being produced by a biological process, rather than a geological one.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Are you talking about the Western scientific world, or the global one? I know the Asians have been making some effort to get their BS in-line, but TMK, any announcement out of Asia, should be viewed skeptically.

When it comes to anything political/ecological there's quite a few games being played.

These days, the hazards sewer plants pose to water quality, are admitted, and known. ~25 years ago, claiming that nitrates came from anywhere, other than a farm, was a good way to get funding pulled...
Tibbers
Oh man, I forgot about this thread hah. Sulfur Dioxide misidentified huh? There's a shocker.
Star Wars Memes Only
Tibbers said:

Oh man, I forgot about this thread hah. Sulfur Dioxide misidentified huh? There's a shocker.

Yea a couple of big discoveries (this and the faster than light neurtrinos) that turned out to be nothingburgers. Disappointing.
A is A
AG
dargscisyhp said:

It's slight-handed comments like that that continue the "drivel".

For such a "open" mind you have - considering creationism as dead (asleep) is quite the absolute statement.
Star Wars Memes Only
Well, if it's brought up, it needs to at least be called what it is, which is drivel, at least when it's masquerading as science.
HossAg
AG
The guy totally derailed the thread with some terrible logic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.