Life found on Venus??? (Twitter Rumor)

8,364 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HossAg
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeing some buzz on Twitter that an article is being released tomorrow that points to signs of life being discovered in the clouds of Venus!

redd38
AG
I read some of an article about this, seems the evidence is the existence of a gas. However, the gas exists on half the planets in our solar system. Yet, they say it can only be produced by living organisms. I think we're going to find out that it's produced in other ways.
YouBet
AG
Was getting bored with 2020.

This is right on time!
schmendeler
AG
redd38 said:

I read some of an article about this, seems the evidence is the existence of a gas. However, the gas exists on half the planets in our solar system. Yet, they say it can only be produced by living organisms. I think we're going to find out that it's produced in other ways.

I would imagine they have reasons for thinking this particular occurrence meant a sign of life while the others don't, no?
Not a Bot
AG
We already knew women were from Venus.
TresPuertas
AG
1. Aliens discovered.

2. Aliens travel to earth.

3. Aliens see what the hell is going on with earth.

4. Aliens:
schmendeler
AG
TresPuertas said:

1. Aliens discovered.

2. Aliens travel to earth.

3. Aliens see what the hell is going on with earth.

4. Aliens:

Better than:

redd38
AG
schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

I would imagine they have reasons for thinking this particular occurrence meant a sign of life while the others don't, no?

For attention? Funding?
schmendeler
AG
redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

For attention? Funding?

Do you have reason to think that's their motive? Seems like quite an assumption to make.

Is it that hard to believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
schmendeler
AG
C@LAg said:

Spyderman is going to be insufferable now.

"Now?"
redd38
AG
schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

For attention? Funding?

Do you have reason to think that's their motive? Seems like quite an assumption to make.

Yes, it is harder to believe that there is life on Venus than it is to believe that the reason for this announcement is to advance the scientists careers.
schmendeler
AG
redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

schmendeler said:

redd38 said:

For attention? Funding?

Yes, it is harder to believe that there is life on Venus than it is to believe that the reason for this announcement is to advance the scientists careers.

Alright then
DallasTeleAg
All researchers are trying to validate their research to obtain funding...

It's why I take all things scientists say with a grain of salt and believe real science must be challenged and tested by multiple parties. 2 scientists in a small room somewhere coming out with a claim that is not rigorously tested/challenged by others is not objective truth.

Can't have scientific research without funding. To obtain funding, one must be researching something that the financial backers want them to research. This inherently creates a bias in scientific research. Not saying all scientist are biased. I'm saying financial backers want what they want, and therefore back the research they want to see.

Though, that may just be the cynic in me.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Global warming crisis is over, everything will be fine.
CrottyKid
AG
They didn't find life. They found molecules that FOR ALL WE KNOW are only produced under extreme physical circumstances or by biological processes. This is based on what we know from what we have observed on Earth. Thus, we may not be working with a full toolkit.
DallasTeleAg
The "extreme circumstances" makes me laugh. If there is any place in our solar system one could call "extreme", it is the atmosphere of Venus, ROFL.
Tibbers
With their little video, aren't they also admitting under their theory that because they found phosphene in Jupiter and saturn that, well, there is life there too?

Such a horrid letdown.

I keep thinking that, at least in our solar system, planets are here for us to learn and understand how to terraform. The idea that aliens will one day come only serves to lock our progress as if one day they will show us the secrets of the universe when in actuality we must unlock it ourselves.

Sadly, this story is like finding microbes is hydrothermal vents. Both are "alien" to us but both are not intelligent. Only we are.
AggieFrog
AG
Quote:

Sadly, this story is like finding microbes is hydrothermal vents. Both are "alien" to us but both are not intelligent. Only we are.
We as in humans? I'd say there is intelligent life all over our planet outside of humans. There is very likely intelligent life (either now, sometime in the past, or future) elsewhere in the universe. Will we ever discover intelligent life outside of Earth during the course of human existence? It's quite possible.
saw em off
Sad they can call microorganisms produced by a gas, life, but can't see life in a woman's womb.
Tibbers
AggieFrog said:

Quote:

We as in humans? I'd say there is intelligent life all over our planet outside of humans. There is very likely intelligent life (either now, sometime in the past, or future) elsewhere in the universe. Will we ever discover intelligent life outside of Earth during the course of human existence? It's quite possible.

What qualifies intelligent life to you? Mine would be the ability to traverse and understand the stars or more to the point outside the realm of the here and now. I have never seen a gorilla make a rocket ship for example but I have seen an animal be clever in capturing food or creating shelter. Both of which only relate to the here and now and not what they can not see touch or manipulate.

Just curious of your definition is all.
Malachi Constant
AG
This thread reminded me of a really nice 4.5 minute video of Robert Zubrin about why the search for life is important:

Rossticus
Intelligence is relative to the individual assessing it and the baseline that they set. For example, aliens capable of the type of technology that would allow for intergalactic travel would likely not perceive humans as intelligent because of the vast differences in evolutionary, technological, intellectual, etc progress between the two civilizations.

There's every possibility that they'd look at us the way we look at apes, cetaceans, etc. Hell, they could view us as cattle or vermin for that matter. Based on how we, as a species, interact with intellectually inferior creatures on this planet we'd have a rough time logically arguing against them treating us as such. This is one of the reasons I'd prefer that superior life forms either not find us or at least not acknowledge us.

Even if they acknowledged us in a higher regard yet behaved as colonizers and gave us the Native American, Incan, African, Indian, etc treatment we'd still be boned. Based on our own history it may be way too optimistic to just assume that a more advanced civilization would also be more benevolent.
Tibbers
Fantastical explanation but purely theoretical and regardless of evolution of thought, the capability is still innate in humans. No matter how much time passes, a giraffe will never have the capability to create even a road, let alone a city or even further a spacecraft.

It's interesting to think that there is intelligent life out there but we should not let that hinder our imagination to turn once inhabitable planets into new homes. I still think that is the point. They act as a carrot at the end of a stick, constant goal and reminder when we look up at the Heavens.

So my question remains, what do you consider intelligent life? My definition places that honus on us and only us.

Further, if we want to get into the realm of possibility its even more likely that if aliens ever did greet us, they wouldn't be aliens at all but rather humans from another planet and time but thats probably a bit too fantastical.
ChemAg15
AG
This thread reminded me of this

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
Rossticus
Off the cuff I'd say that intelligence is the ability to observe the environment around oneself, deliberately assess it and the stimuli that it presents, and make purposeful decisions based on those observations. Is that "high intelligence"? No. But it's inarguable that many vertebrates, in addition to a few select invertebrates are capable of different degrees of these complex thought processes. If you depart from strict intellectual intelligence and incorporate the ability to form social bonds, experience emotions, process memories, etc then things become even more complicated.
AggieFrog
AG
Tibbers said:

AggieFrog said:

Quote:

What qualifies intelligent life to you? Mine would be the ability to traverse and understand the stars or more to the point outside the realm of the here and now. I have never seen a gorilla make a rocket ship for example but I have seen an animal be clever in capturing food or creating shelter. Both of which only relate to the here and now and not what they can not see touch or manipulate.

Just curious of your definition is all.
I would say intelligence is more a continuum than an exact definition. Does it respond to the world around it? Use tools? Have empathy? Retain memories and change behaviors based on past personal or communal history? Perform calculations? Respond to novel stimuli? Change and adapt to the world around it in some logical methodology? Have higher ordered thinking? Understand death? The list could go on and on.

Numerous animals fit one or all of these different aspects of intelligence.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Quote:

Precisely as I advised clients a decade ago.

What line of business has clients that need this type of guidance?
HossAg
AG
saw em off said:

Sad they can call microorganisms produced by a gas, life, but can't see life in a woman's womb.

This is such an unrelated and odd thing to bring up.
Malachi Constant
AG
Scott Manley explanation:

Rossticus
This is a succinct yet complete explanation with quotes from the scientists who made the discovery. Nobody (at least nobody credible) is jumping to the conclusion that this is proof of life on Venus.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/14/1008373/gas-phosphine-spotted-in-venus-clouds-atmosphere-could-be-sign-of-biological-life/
labmansid
Tibbers
And none of those animals are capable of space flight so what is the difference between our intelligence and theirs? One cannot quantify using tools as intelligence while negating the overall cognitive capacity of the host in question.

Again, just because a bird uses a rock to break open a nut does not ever mean a bird will fly to the moon on a rocket ship. There has to be a difference between intelligent life and humanity.

Perhaps it is best described as dominant intelligence vs. Non dominant intelligence.

Humanity is the dominant force in nature and the universe. All other forms of as you call intelligent life creatures, plants, birds, etc. are non-dominant.

I think we need to break the cycle of searching for dominant intelligent life on other planets and realize our purpose is to conquer these planetary training grounds to further understand humanity's role as the dominant intelligent force in the universe.
HossAg
AG
It's not like humans will always be the only "dominant" intelligent life. Not sure why you're so hung up on that role. Regardless, it wouldn't be sad to find out there's life on other planets. It would be an incredible discovery that would most likely tell us that life forming is not as nearly impossible as we thought.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.