Laptop Suggestions

3,711 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KDubAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For what you want to do, most of your money will be spent in 15" screens tending to have more powerful specs than you would ever need. That and finding a laptop with 10 keys, most models will not have that anymore. You can find it, you will just have to search more.
Personally, I would recommend get an Asus if you can, they tend to have less models out and not many crappy versions. Without doing in depth research, you could probably spend $500-$700 and meet your needs (especially if there is a sale) Definitely get a SSD over a HDD.
PatAg
AG
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/laptop-computers/all-laptops/pcmcat138500050001.c?id=pcmcat138500050001&qp=condition_facet%3DCondition~New%5Efeatures_facet%3DFeatures~Numeric%20Keypad%5Elaptopscreensizerange_facet%3DScreen%20Size~14%22%20-%2015%22%5Elaptopscreensizerange_facet%3DScreen%20Size~15%22%20-%2016%22%5Eparent_processormodelsv_facet%3DProcessor%20Model~Intel%20Core%20i5%5Esystemmemoryram_facet%3DRAM~16%20gigabytes%5Esystemmemoryram_facet%3DRAM~8%20gigabytes
DeLaHonta
AG
You should probably go back and read the last sentence of my first post in this thread, where I literally said exactly that. I'll wait for you to catch up.
The Fife
The Dog Lord said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route. We are replacing a 5+ year old HP that seems to need to restart every other day to complete updates and it's just running dreadfully slow once it is going. Several of the 15" models I've been looking at from HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer have the number pad. Is their a big difference in reliability/longevity between these manufacturers or are they all comparable?

I know HP is popular, but I feel like I've never seen one last a long time. Never had one myself, but my mother and wife both had them at some point. Have heard pretty good things about the others you mentioned. Have used Dell at work for years, and they've always run well.
They conk out at random - that's been my experience anyway. I have two with failed motherboards at home right now. They showed no signs of anything, were powered down, and became completely unresponsive the next day.

Otherwise I have a pair of Toshibas that granted are old (~2010ish) but work just fine, batteries included.
aggiebq03+
Thread defender:
DeLaHonta said:

It's like nobody cares what the OP wants.

OP requirements:
Quote:

Would like to keep it under $1,000, 15" screen and have the number pad on the keyboard.

Also thread defender:
DeLaHonta said:

a Bluetooth or USB 10-key is the way to go.
boy09
AG
PatAg said:

For what you want to do, most of your money will be spent in 15" screens tending to have more powerful specs than you would ever need. That and finding a laptop with 10 keys, most models will not have that anymore. You can find it, you will just have to search more .

I don't really think this is true. You can get pretty much any combination of specs in 15" laptops. And there are a TON of 15" laptops with a 10-key number pad. One big coat factor in this size laptop is screen resolution. 1366x768 laptops tend to be about $100-200 cheaper than 1920x1080 laptops. A 1080p screen is a lot nicer though..

Quote:

Personally, I would recommend get an Asus if you can, they tend to have less models out and not many crappy versions. Without doing in depth research, you could probably spend $500-$700 and meet your needs (especially if there is a sale) Definitely get a SSD over a HDD.

I do agree with this. SSD all the way. I also wouldn't bother with anything less than an i5 processor with at least 8gb ram. Running Windows 10 with anything less is just not a very pleasant experience..
DeLaHonta
AG
Thanks, man! I guess we were both wrong--I did provide a suggestion after all. I'm glad you're helping me keep this thread on topic!
lukesturr
AG
Lenovo has their ThinkPad T580 on sale for $999. Core i5, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, 15" 1080P panel and a full keyboard w/ num pad. ThinkPad T Series are well built and will last. I'm personally a Mac user but have many friends and know businesses that swear by ThinkPads. Also check out the Lenovo outlet, there's good deals to be had on new/refurbished/scratch&dent ThinkPads.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T580/p/20L9001EUS
Philip J Fry
AG
My wife has one. Worst laptop we've ever owned.
ABatt18
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

Looking to get a new laptop for the house and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on brands or lines to look at. Would like to keep it under $1,000, 15" screen and have the number pad on the keyboard. Just needed for web browsing, Microsoft office, occasional streaming, and not needed for gaming.
I would bar HP laptops out of this discussion. HP laptops have notoriously bad batteries, which hold a 100% charge for their first year and drop to around 60% charge in year 2 and beyond. I used to work as a Dell repair tech and their systems, particularly their business laptops, are not bad from a repairability standpoint. Lenovo laptops tend to be found on the second-hand market and tend to work well, but they are a chore to repair, so I personally stay away from them.

In regards to good deals that you can get from brands that I would purchase, I would probably recommend the following:

https://www.newegg.com/silver-dell-inspiron-5575-creating-designing/p/1TS-000A-04P24

If it comes with Windows 10 S rather than Windows 10, then I'd suggest upgrading to Windows 10. I think you can do that for free but it would be worth a Google search before purchase. Otherwise, you would probably have to buy a copy of Windows 10 to get the non-S version. Windows 10 S I think prevents you from installing programs outside of the Windows App Store, which is terrible if you like installing things like Google Chrome or VLC or something.

A lot of the people in this thread seem to sing the praises of getting a Mac because they view it as superior to Windows, but I wouldn't let their justifications sway your view to getting a Mac. You can get most of the benefits you get on a Mac on Linux (no viruses, updates without having to restart your computer frequently, etc), yet nobody has suggested Linux as a viable option. The only problem with Linux would be an inability to get a native install of Office on it, but other than that, it's perfect for most computing tasks. Consider downloading Ubuntu (a flavor of Linux) onto a flash drive and trying it on your laptop if you're a tinkerer, and see if that is something you'd consider using. Chances are you may not be interesting in trying something besides windows, but Linux really does provide users with a lot of benefits if you're willing in investing your efforts in trying something new. And, by the way, Linux has a free alternative to Microsoft Office called LibreOffice that is compatible with files made from Microsoft Office.

But if that's too much of a headache, the machine I referenced should fit your specifications.
Burdizzo
AG
The Dog Lord said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route. We are replacing a 5+ year old HP that seems to need to restart every other day to complete updates and it's just running dreadfully slow once it is going. Several of the 15" models I've been looking at from HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer have the number pad. Is their a big difference in reliability/longevity between these manufacturers or are they all comparable?

I know HP is popular, but I feel like I've never seen one last a long time. Never had one myself, but my mother and wife both had them at some point. Have heard pretty good things about the others you mentioned. Have used Dell at work for years, and they've always run well.

I found this thread doing a search for Linux.

I have a HP laptop G60 that is now 10+ years old. It came pre-loaded with Windows Vista and a free upgrade to Windows 7 which I installed immediately. It ran pretty well until the hard drive got full. That also coincided with the EOSL for Windows 7 at the end of last year..

Hardware issues:

- A portion of the screen started going bad after about 5 years. More of an annoyance than anything. It was only one corner of the screen
- Power supply was replaced somewhere about the same time
- Replaced the batter about the same time with a Duracell

I have replaced that computer with a Dell laptop.

The old HP I was able to boot from the DVD into Linux Mint. It seems to run really well with Mint. I just need to find something to do with it besides being a doorstop. Any suggestions on Linux Mint machines welcome,
KDubAg
AG
I got this one on Amazon about two months ago. The price has increased since. 15 inch screen with backlit keyboard and number pad. It seemed to work good the one day I had it until my mother took it from me so she could work from home remotely. She gave me her 10 year old HP laptop to use instead.

ASUS VivoBook 15 Thin and Light Laptop, 15.6" FHD, Intel Core i3... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RK5M35T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_oCbTEb0XSG162
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.