Laptop Suggestions

3,676 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KDubAg
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get a new laptop for the house and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on brands or lines to look at. Would like to keep it under $1,000, 15" screen and have the number pad on the keyboard. Just needed for web browsing, Microsoft office, occasional streaming, and not needed for gaming.
techno-ag
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

Looking to get a new laptop for the house and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on brands or lines to look at. Would like to keep it under $1,000, 15" screen and have the number pad on the keyboard. Just needed for web browsing, Microsoft office, occasional streaming, and not needed for gaming.
Get a Mac.

Perfect for everything you mentioned. Durable. Fewer viruses. Interface will probably look the same in 10 years as it does now.
TMoney2007
AG
techno-ag said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Get a Mac.

Perfect for everything you mentioned. Durable. Fewer viruses. Interface will probably look the same in 10 years as it does now.
...Love your enthusiasm, but what macbook has a number pad, which the OP said it had to have?
techno-ag
AG
OP can't have everything.
fig96
AG
TMoney2007 said:

techno-ag said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Get a Mac.

...Love your enthusiasm, but what macbook has a number pad, which the OP said it had to have?
Do many laptops at all have number pads? Can't say I've seen that except on realllllly large laptops.
TMoney2007
AG
techno-ag said:

So, it's not really perfect for everything they mentioned... I feel like its probably just what you recommend by default any time anyone asks about a laptop regardless of their actual needs.
TMoney2007
AG
fig96 said:

TMoney2007 said:

techno-ag said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Get a Mac.

Do many laptops at all have number pads? Can't say I've seen that except on realllllly large laptops.
There are plenty of 15.6" laptops with number pads. I suspect you haven't actually looked.
techno-ag
AG
TMoney2007 said:

techno-ag said:

So, it's not really perfect for everything they mentioned... I feel like its probably just what you recommend by default any time anyone asks about a laptop regardless of their actual needs.
Actually no. However, I have found for uses like OP described the Mac is a really good choice. I have an old Mac Air for light use, including forums like this, email, Office, etc and it is still going strong after 7 years. Can't say the same for my old Alienware bought around the same time for four times the price of the Mac.
fig96
AG
TMoney2007 said:

fig96 said:

TMoney2007 said:

techno-ag said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Get a Mac.

There are plenty of 15.6" laptops with number pads. I suspect you haven't actually looked.
I absolutely haven't looked, that's why I asked it as a question I just can't recall seeing a lot in general, feels like that would make for a really cramped keyboard.
streetfighter2012
AG
Thanks for the replies.

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route. We are replacing a 5+ year old HP that seems to need to restart every other day to complete updates and it's just running dreadfully slow once it is going. Several of the 15" models I've been looking at from HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer have the number pad. Is their a big difference in reliability/longevity between these manufacturers or are they all comparable?
nai06
AG
techno-ag said:

TMoney2007 said:

techno-ag said:

Actually no. However, I have found for uses like OP described the Mac is a really good choice. I have an old Mac Air for light use, including forums like this, email, Office, etc and it is still going strong after 7 years. Can't say the same for my old Alienware bought around the same time for four times the price of the Mac.
except that for the model that would fit his needs its going to cost at least double his budget.

techno-ag
AG
Clocks in right at 1099. Admittedly I paid about 800 for mine as an open box buy back in the day.
The Dog Lord
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route. We are replacing a 5+ year old HP that seems to need to restart every other day to complete updates and it's just running dreadfully slow once it is going. Several of the 15" models I've been looking at from HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer have the number pad. Is their a big difference in reliability/longevity between these manufacturers or are they all comparable?

I know HP is popular, but I feel like I've never seen one last a long time. Never had one myself, but my mother and wife both had them at some point. Have heard pretty good things about the others you mentioned. Have used Dell at work for years, and they've always run well.
Philip J Fry
AG
techno-ag said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Get a Mac.

2nded. The only reason I upgraded from my 2011 MacBook Pro was because of app development needs. Beat laptop I've ever owned.

https://satechi.net/products/satechi-slim-rechargeable-aluminum-bluetooth-keypad?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6CQoc3r5wIVieNkCh0XmQ3REAQYBSABEgLv1fD_BwE

If you really want a number pad.
nai06
AG
techno-ag said:

Clocks in right at 1099. Admittedly I paid about 800 for mine as an open box buy back in the day.

For the MacBook air sure, but that doesn't fit his specs. Actually we are both wrong. I thought the MacBook Pro had a 10 key option, but it doesn't.

Apparently apple doesn't make a single laptop with a 10key number pad which is kind of ridiculous.
UmustBKidding
MacBooks since 2015 have net even had a reliable keyboard at all until abandoning the butterfly keyboards this year. The rest have to wait until next year. If you want a Mac find a late 2011 that you can still upgrade the ram and drive. An also all the virus researchers say Mac is the platform with the most new viruses currently.
If you need to develop for apple devices using things like xcode then there may be a reason to buy an overpriced Mac. Less that you can typically buy 3 equivalent performance windows laptops for the same money. If you need a Mac but a mini and a windows laptop for daily use.
fig96
AG
All my Mac keyboards work fine, I've found the concern there is overblown.

You do pay more for a Mac up front then make it back on resale, in the long run there's little to no price difference vs PCs. Not to mention that PC laptops with equivalent performance, screen, and build quality (Surface Book, Alienware, etc.) are pretty comparably priced.

It is more expensive and if that's not your thing that's fine, but there's a lot of value for the cost.
DeLaHonta
AG
Are any of you actually intending to help him out, or are you all just turning this into another Macintosh vs Windows jerkoff contest? He stated he doesn't want a Mac.

Help him out with the best Windows-based laptop that fits his needs and his budget. I have no insight into this, otherwise I'd offer advice.
Thriller
AG
No idea if this list is comprehensive or unbiased, but it's a place to start, at least:

https://www.binarytides.com/best-laptops-with-numeric-keypad/
Philip J Fry
AG
DeLaHonta said:

Are any of you actually intending to help him out, or are you all just turning this into another Macintosh vs Windows jerkoff contest? He stated he doesn't want a Mac.

Help him out with the best Windows-based laptop that fits his needs and his budget. I have no insight into this, otherwise I'd offer advice.

Then get a MacBook and put windows on it.
DeLaHonta
AG
Does that meet his requirements? You can get a new 15" MacBook with a 10-key, Windows, and Office for under $1,000? Provide the link, because that's exactly what he's looking for!
nai06
AG
For reference, I love my new hp Spectre x360. They make a 15 inch model with 10 key for about $1100. It's SSD, 2 in 1 convertible, and comes with a pen
Philip J Fry
AG
https://www.macofalltrades.com/shop/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-2-2ghz-quad-core-i7-retina-mid-2015-mjlq2ll-a-3-mbp-15-22-m15r-16256-1vc-e/

If you look hard enough, you can find some reasonable deals. The reason why even refurbished macs are so expensive is because they last so dang long.

I'd take a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro over any of the laptop companies out there now.

But that's just me.

Otherwise, get yourself a good used HP Elitebook.
heddleston
AG
heddleston
AG
I have both an x360 chromebook (i think its identical to the spectre line, just no windows) and a 2018 macbook air and I love using the x360. HP probably has the best laptop keyboards out there right now. If there weren't some software I need on the mac for work i'd probably sell it and use the Chromebook exclusively. OP, if you're willing to use an external 10key pad it would open up your options immensely, as I think a premium chromebook would suit your needs well. That said, if it's a dealbreaker then keep hunting for what works for you.
DeLaHonta
AG
That's $129 over his budget and doesn't Include a 10-key, a copy of Windows, nor a copy of Office? Add all of those on, and you're looking at, what, $1,500ish total? So, not really what he's looking for at all, right?
DeLaHonta
AG
It's like nobody cares what the OP wants.

OP: I want a new laptop under $1,000 that has Windows and Office.

Mac users: how about a 5 year old used $1,129 laptop that doesn't have Windows nor Office?

Chromebook users: how about a laptop that has an operating system you've never used before and has G Suite crap, so neither Windows nor Office?

The only thing I agree with these posters on is that a Bluetooth or USB 10-key is the way to go. Built-in 10-keys have smaller keys and shift the rest of the keyboard off-center.

We use HP Elitebooks at work, which are outside of your price range, so I can't recommend them for you. The only other thing I'll add is, depending on how heavy of an Excel user you are, Google Sheets is NOT an adequate replacement for Excel. I've never used Office365, so I can't speak to that, but the desktop version of Excel runs circles around Google Sheets, in features, usability, and speed.
heddleston
AG
He never asked for windows, just said he didn't want a mac and needed office. Never used G-suite and found office365/android apps more than adequate for my needs. Simply thought it may be a way to get a device that more than meets his needs and saves a few hundred bucks. I'm pretty OS agnostic, have used Windows, Linux, Macs, and Chromebooks over the past decade and all are fine and do good computer things. Lots of options out there and wanted him to know about them.
Jasomania
AG
This Dell Inspiron 7000 was on a list of best laptops under 1000. I don't have personal experience with that laptop but on paper it should handle all your needs. 8 gig ram and an i5 should handle any office type work, web browsing, and streaming. It also has a thunderbolt port which i believe you can charge through and connect usb c up to so that should help as more things go usb c over usb a.

It looks like you have to take a hit somewhere to get under 1000 on a 15 inch. either dropping from a i7 to i5 processor, lowering the ram, lowering the HD space, etc. There are better specs in the 1000 price range if you go 13 inch but you'll lose the number pad.

I have a HP Spectre x360 laptop i like a lot but it looks like you had a bad experience with HP and maybe want to go a different brand. I've also had really good experience with the microsoft surface i have. I have a surface 3 pro I have, its 6 years old and still works really well for office, web, and some streaming.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-7000-2-in-1-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-32gb-optane-silver/6373038.p?skuId=6373038
DeLaHonta
AG
heddleston said:

He never asked for windows, just said he didn't want a mac and needed office.
Quote:

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route.
jagouar1
AG
Would be a little over your budget but I do the Lenovo P53s at work and everybody loves them. Outside price it would meet all your needs and if you really needed to get it under 1k you could probably look to the previous model, the P52s.
Philip J Fry
AG
DeLaHonta said:

heddleston said:

Quote:

I had a MacBook in college but I'm not sure my wife wants to leave the windows operating system so I don't think we will be going that route.

I'm sure the OP appreciates the work you're doing to keep the nerdery within the scope of his vague requirements.
boy09
AG
This thread is really something. Just following purely out of curiosity at this point. Want to see how far off the rails these guys can go.

Haven't seen a Raspberry Pi suggested yet... Or maybe there's a smart refrigerator out there that can fit OP's needs..
DeLaHonta
AG
Philip J Fry said:

DeLaHonta said:

heddleston said:

Quote:

I'm sure the OP appreciates the work you're doing to keep the nerdery within the scope of his vague requirements.
Thanks!

I can't quite understand how people make suggestions that are completely against the few requirements he did post, but I'm glad you guys appreciate me getting us back on track!
aggiebq03+
DeLaHonta said:

Philip J Fry said:

DeLaHonta said:

heddleston said:

Quote:

Thanks!

I can't quite understand how people make suggestions that are completely against the few requirements he did post, but I'm glad you guys appreciate me getting us back on track!

One of the most active posters in this thread didn't even make a single suggestion at all...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.