Internet Speed & Price Roll Call

5,321 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double aught
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chipotle said:

Spectrum $47/month for 200up/20dn

Promotion ran out a few weeks back and they were going to bump it to $68. At&t was my other alternative so I called to see when I could get service (a few days). Called spectrum to see if I could get the promotion again and they said no. I asked for disconnect department and like clockwork the folks at the disconnect felt they could "hook me up" again and they did. In my experience this has worked 9 times out of 10 and even that 10th time I probably could have got what I wanted if I had tried harder. I hate doing this every year.
Weird.

I was paying $52 after tax for 200 service from TWC, then it went up to $57 in early 2017 and then up to $68 earlier this year. Looked around and AT&T options suck for my house, so called up Spectrum to play the game and got as far as scheduling a disconnect after asking everyone along the way for a better price before I caved. Stuck paying $68 for 200 service since there are no other options above 50.
The Fife
WOW! internet only. After taxes and whatnot it's $38/month for 100Mbps (cable). No complaints here!
boy09
AG
If you search certain address in my town for Spectrum service, a plan pops up for 30mbps for only $15 per month. I would jump all over that in a heartbeat. Sadly, that is not an actual plan that they offer...
saw em off
100 down / about 15 up on spectrum @ $69 (taxes and all). Wish I could get gig fiber.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm thinking about dropping all the way down to 50mbps. Is that sufficient to stream movies and play Xbox? I have 3 nest cameras at my house as well.
FatZilla
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I'm thinking about dropping all the way down to 50mbps. Is that sufficient to stream movies and play Xbox? I have 3 nest cameras at my house as well.
1 person streaming would take most of it for 1080p content. 4k would take all and buffer still, a lot. 2-4MB Down is the recommended for 1080. Would leave you with 1-2MB/s to spare for all other tasks.
MaroonStain
AG
Spectrum 100MB and cable, $79 (Austin)
double aught
AG
FatZilla said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

1 person streaming would take most of it for 1080p content. 4k would take all and buffer still, a lot. 2-4MB Down is the recommended for 1080. Would leave you with 1-2MB/s to spare for all other tasks.
We have 50 (which usually clocks in at 60) and stream two HD Netflix streams simultaneously with zero issues. We've most likely had Spotify, Xbox, and other things going at the same time also and never noticed a slowdown. Never really thought about it because it's never presented a problem.
Aggietaco
AG
MaroonStain said:

Spectrum 100MB and cable, $79 (Austin)
Spectrum's base should be 200 Mbps (25MB/s) in all/most of Austin.
FatZilla
AG
double aught said:

FatZilla said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

We have 50 (which usually clocks in at 60) and stream two HD Netflix streams simultaneously with zero issues. We've most likely had Spotify, Xbox, and other things going at the same time also and never noticed a slowdown. Never really thought about it because it's never presented a problem.
Thats just based on the recommended amounts that it can take. Some content is less bandwidth hungry that others. Hell HULU says 6 down for just 1080p. Also your settings in your account, do you have them enabled to save data or let it flow fully? If enabled, it compresses the streams more to save data at the loss of some quality.
AgGunNut
AG
Suddenlink. 200 down / 20 up. No data cap. $65/month.
cr0wbar
AG
ATT Gigabit ~95/month. No DATA CAP
YouBet
AG
OasisMan said:

~70/mo for ATT 1gig

This. Mine is about 900 up and 900 down with actuals.
DayAg!
S
Isn't Xfinity Comcast.
The Fife
Yes. And are all you AT&T people with no data cap on the gigabit plan, because they seem to cap everything else over here?
YouBet
AG
The Fife said:

Yes. And are all you AT&T people with no data cap on the gigabit plan, because they seem to cap everything else over here?

Yes, they give you no data cap if you have bundled services. We are an all ATT sevices house which is why. (I'm not necessarily happy about that since they suck so hard as a company.)
Cromagnum
AG
Go live out in the sticks before you complain too loud. I pay 75 for 15 Mbps.
Wheatables02
AG
Frontier 75/75 in north DFW, runs about 89/85 for $81/month after taxes....
Wheatables02
AG
Ornlu said:

I pay $47 per month (including taxes) for 200m in north DFW, with Frontier. When I've checked speeds, it's usually between 210m and 240m during non-peak and like 160m during non peak. I frequently download a newflix show for offline watching, in less than 10 seconds.
Can you be more specific of your area? Sounds like I am getting ripped off. Maybe I need to cancel for a month or so.
boy09
AG
Cromagnum said:

Go live out in the sticks
No...
Aggietaco
AG
Cromagnum said:

The biggest issue with living in the country - HughesNet or 4G being your only options.
khkman22
AG
Cromagnum said:

My $79 for 8/1 Mbps laughs at your complaint. Yay fixed wireless. No data cap though, for what that's worth.
koadie
AG
60 mbps at 30 bucks a month. We own our own modem.

Eph: 2:8
tamusc
AG
khkman22 said:

Cromagnum said:

My $79 for 8/1 Mbps laughs at your complaint. Yay fixed wireless. No data cap though, for what that's worth.

Yeah, my folks get 5/1 for $69 with their fixed wireless provider out in the Hill Country. Decent enough for them to stream a single show, which works well enough for them.
OasisMan
AG
YouBet said:

OasisMan said:

~70/mo for ATT 1gig

This. Mine is about 900 up and 900 down with actuals.
mine avg ~750
cr
double aught said:

I pay AT&T $30/month for 50mbps fiber. I've yet to have a need for more speed than that.

How is the reliability? I dropped att a few years back because of reliability and probably the worst customer support of any company I've ever dealt with.
cr
I pay $70 for 50mbps. That includes cable modem, which I suppose I should just buy.
double aught
AG
garc said:

double aught said:

I pay AT&T $30/month for 50mbps fiber. I've yet to have a need for more speed than that.

How is the reliability? I dropped att a few years back because of reliability and probably the worst customer support of any company I've ever dealt with.
For me, I'd say very good. Maybe one or two outages in the past couple years. And my limited dealings with customer support have gone well.
cr
double aught said:

garc said:

double aught said:

For me, I'd say very good. Maybe one or two outages in the past couple years. And my limited dealings with customer support have gone well.

Thanks. They may have gotten their act together since I dealt with them.
Bobcat-Ag
How can you find out what internet company is available at your address? I just called spectrum and they refused to lower the price.
Jethro95
AG
Entouch 300 down / 20 up ~$65 (part of a package)

They slow you down after 1TB as part of their "fair use policy." We've only hit it once but have gotten a few warnings during the last week of the month.

They also have 500 and Gigabit but that's a lot faster than most, if not all, of our WiFi devices can go. It might speed up a game download every once in a while on a desktop machine but it's just not worth the incremental cost.
cr
garc said:

I pay $70 for 50mbps. That includes cable modem, which I suppose I should just buy.

I just dropped the rental modem. Bought a used docsis 3.0 Arris modem from Amazon for $15.

I'm down to $62 per month for 50 Mbps.

I love the used products that are fulfilled by Amazon warehouse. Been saving a ton of money.
ktownag08
AG
$48/mo

300/20 plus alarm
RMG93
For you folks that have ATT 1gig fiber , what can you expect to pull down wirelessly. Just for the sake of this question let's assume you use their router/modem (not sure if you have another option).

I ask because I used to have ATT 75mb plan and I could not pull down more than 35-40 mb wirelessly (sometimes it was worse) . I have had spectrum now for over a year and I am on a 200mb plan and regularly pull down 210-215 mb down wirelessly. Why dont I see that degradation on my spectrum service that I had with ATT when wireless?
trueaggie2782
AG
250-300 down
200-250 up
Wireless through my own personal router. Direct connect is much faster.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.