Internet Speed & Price Roll Call

5,196 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double aught
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made an open spreadsheet if anyone wants to contribute and compare easily.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kmJAO3yXEmnyw5wUS6DNusCrPj4szaOzdRZu5Bi1RTA/edit?usp=sharing

Comcast 250 mbps $85
Galveston
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thanks for doing that. Great idea.
falconace
We have 1gbs up/1gbs down fiber for $100. No contract, no data cap. GCEC Communications
GT_Aggie2015
AG
falconace said:

We have 1gbs up/1gbs down fiber for $100. No contract, no data cap. GCEC Communications
I also have GCEC. What geo are you in? Apparently our street doesn't have 1 gig yet.
Aggietaco
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

How can you find out what internet company is available at your address? I just called spectrum and they refused to lower the price.
There are some websites that try and guess who services your area, but you really just have to do the legwork yourself.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Grande Cable Internet in Midland, TX
$35 for 300MB DL/ 20MB UL
Ferg
I pay $70 for 75 mbps no cap no contract no bundle to Toast.net which is a partner of AT&T
Shelton98
AG
I live out in the sticks in East Texas (Lake Cherokee southside)... haven't had internet in the 15 years I've lived here outside of dial up or cell phone. One of the rural providers (eastex communications) started running fiber through here earlier this year and offered free installation while they had all their boring machines etc in the vicinity. They had 3 packages... $99 for 30 up/down, $119 for 50 up/down and $139 for 100 up/down (no data caps on any of them). I went with the 50 up 50 down. Love finally having internets.
jtmoney03
AG
400 down / 25 up on Spectrum in SE Collin County for $69.

Easily pull 380 on wired, and generally 280 on wifi.
NoHo Hank
AG
100 down, 10 up, $40/month. I feel like a peasant
Bobcat-Ag
Would using a cell phone data plan where you could hook it up to the wifi be an option? Maybe not now, but when everything goes to 5G, it could be better because you would consolidate your contracts.
Vade281
AG
Looks like Spectrum now has gig for 124.99/month now. Would be great for people with families...living solo the base 200 is enough for me.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
srob2004
AG
$80/month. 1 gig with AT&T. Over wire probably get 850 up/down. Wireless get 300 ish up/down.
double aught
AG
What are some of you people doing to need this much bandwidth?
RMG93
srob2004 said:

$80/month. 1 gig with AT&T. Over wire probably get 850 up/down. Wireless get 300 ish up/down.

Thanks... I had asked a few days earlier what to expect on ATT 1 gig if you are wireless. That's a huge difference than wired. I experienced the same thing when I had ATT.
Spectrum doesn't seem to have that huge discrepancy between wired and wireless.
Shelton98
AG
double aught said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've had 2 Roku sticks streaming, a Playstation gaming, 6 cell phones surfing and Direct TV boxes connected all at the same time and my 50 mb fiber connection has never even hesitated. I don't have anything 4K though. Maybe multiple 4K streams would require that much bandwith?
tamusc
AG
Shelton98 said:

double aught said:

I was wondering the same thing. I've had 2 Roku sticks streaming, a Playstation gaming, 6 cell phones surfing and Direct TV boxes connected all at the same time and my 50 mb fiber connection has never even hesitated. I don't have anything 4K though. Maybe multiple 4K streams would require that much bandwith?
4K streams eat up more than 4 times the bandwidth, especially with HDR content. Netflix for instance runs about 25 Mb/s and it's one of the more efficient services.

Additionally, I like having having more bandwidth for when I download new games or patches, many of which can easily run over 50 GB now. With my 400 Mb/s connection, that 50 GB download takes about 15 minutes, but with a 100 Mb/s connection, that same download would take over an hour. So, you have to consider more than just your sustained streaming needs, especially if you've completely moved away from physical media (for both PC and console games) like I have.

The price difference between the 100 Mb/s connection and the 400 Mb/s is far less than the value of one hour of my time, so if I download one game or three or four patches in a month, the extra speed has more than paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.
Vade281
AG
It's really about downloading games, streaming 4k, and hosting a plex server. If anything, I really need to overhaul my wireless network and hardwire the house. I don't have any plans of doing that though because I don't want to stay in my house long term.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
TMoney2007
AG
1gig ATT fiber is getting set up Wednesday. $80/month.

Suck it Comcast.
srob2004
AG
Showing off my e-peen on the interwebs :P

I have 6-7 TVs all streaming netflix/etc. And I do a lot of HD video conferencing for my job, i work from home 100%. Even all that, still more than i need. But for 80 bucks... meh. Also work pays for it so what do I really care ?
double aught
AG
Good answer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.