Monster Hunter ***Official Thread***

16,392 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
AgSportsFan89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I beat the Double Bazel with the LS on my first try. It was just a matter of keeping one in between me and the other when they were both together (while being very careful), and wailing on whichever one when solo. Also when each was in the enraged state, I just kept my distance.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
bangobango said:

You get tired of answering these, just let me know. I have tons more questions and I really appreciate your answers.

Next question(ish) - I do not get investigations. Selected one to hunt a great jagtas. Killed great jagras. Investigation is still there.

Every time you find tracks, there's a meter you start filling. Once you've filled that meter it adds an Investigation for that monster. You have more because you've obviously collected a lot of foot prints for Great Jagras. The importance of investigations is that you'll noticed there's rewards. Those bronze to purple boxes associated with it. Those are much greater rewards depending on what you're investigation has tied to it. If you're farming for gems...you really want silver to gold\purple (tampered monsters) to increase the drop chance.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Yeah...this is my next bow build.

Sq1dvm
AG
Loving the hammer and bow, but I'm going after some tails. I know you can sever tails with a bow, but is it as effective as a blade?
Red Five
AG
In my experience, probably not. With a dragon piercer focused build I've been able to take tails off, but not every time (it's not really my focus though). With a GS, CB, LS, etc I've really never missed a tail.

Also, tails are available as quest and investigation rewards, so you don't HAVE to go for the tail cuts every time.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
F.I.N.A.L.L.Y Beat tempered Kirin. Hardest fight in the game. You really need to take your time and pop shot. Don't do anything that will stick your character to a single spot. So no Dragon Piercer unless you absolutely can do it. Even with Thunder resistance 3 and Elemental Def high...I got wrecked so many times. Looks like there's a combination of weapon types that are ideal to have.

2 ranged (Bow gun, Bow)
2 mele (Great sword, Dual blades)
Red Five
AG
I've had this quest available for a while but haven't given it a go yet. I've been farming T2 tempered quests for better decorations before I try. Also farming for gems to get my Handicraft 3 charm to have some more variety in sets. Right now I'm running Dragonking Eyepatch, Dober Mail, and Nergigante Coil Beta in pretty much every set along with an Attack Charm 3. The arms and legs change depending on what I need for the weapon.

I'll probably be trying tempered Kirin with a hammer.
Red Five
AG
The Deviljho patch went live last night. If you've completed the ??? Rathian special investigation in high rank, you will get a notification that a Devlijho has been spotted. Go to the expedition map and look for an area with a ??? monster. Launch into an expedition on that map and you will be able to find Deviljho footprints and find (and fight, if you wish) the Deviljho. After you return to Astera you'll be given a special investigation for the Deviljho.

It was a pretty fun fight. He is very large, very fast, and very aggressive. I couldn't even really hit him with a great sword, switched to my bow with better results. From experience with past games, if you have a poison weapon it will be very useful against him.

Every weapon type has a Deviljho weapon, and many of them are very good, and all of them look great. Armor could be better but has multiple pieces with handicraft which may be helpful for set building.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Red Five said:

The Deviljho patch went live last night. If you've completed the ??? Rathian special investigation in high rank, you will get a notification that a Devlijho has been spotted. Go to the expedition map and look for an area with a ??? monster. Launch into an expedition on that map and you will be able to find Deviljho footprints and find (and fight, if you wish) the Deviljho. After you return to Astera you'll be given a special investigation for the Deviljho.

It was a pretty fun fight. He is very large, very fast, and very aggressive. I couldn't even really hit him with a great sword, switched to my bow with better results. From experience with past games, if you have a poison weapon it will be very useful against him.

Every weapon type has a Deviljho weapon, and many of them are very good, and all of them look great. Armor could be better but has multiple pieces with handicraft which may be helpful for set building.
I have the Buona Flora Hammer. Wonder if that would work.
Red Five
AG
I would think so. 540 poison is quite a lot and while hammer doesn't exactly attack fast, you do still tend to get multiple hits in when you attack. Maybe a piece of armor or decorations for poison attack to help it along.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Captured DevilJho first time out last night. He's scary but a lot of fun. A completely different style of fight for me as my pure damage bow didn't really do much damage at all. But I pugged into a good group so it was fun. Bring lots of flashbugs along with your standard 3 flashpods with you. Also, let him fight Bazelguise. It'll help speed up the hunt.

BTW...fired up a new thread on the Entertainment board about the new movie in development.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2941560
Sq1dvm
AG
Any thoughts on the insect glaive? I've been rocking the hammer with the bow occasionally for flying monsters. The 8yo decided to play with the glaive today and it looks pretty sweet.
Red Five
AG
I haven't played it yet played it in World but it was a lot of fun in previous generations. It looks fun to go flying around all over the place, but damage is higher staying on the ground. I don't know a lot about the different kinsects and their strengths and weaknesses.
Sq1dvm
AG
I have a question about armor set bonuses. I get that there are some skills that unlock when you're wearing 3 pieces of a set (Anjanath Power, Legiana Blessing etc). Is there an added bonus to wearing all 5 of the same set? I read something about that online, but it was confusing. I'm stuck on Diablos and was going to pair pieces of Legiana and Odogaron armors, but didn't know if I should stick with just one set.
Red Five
AG
You only need to wear as many pieces as needed to activate the specific skill you want. Some armors have 2 skills, activated at 2 and 4 pieces. I think all the sets with only 1 skill are activated at 3 pieces. I don't know if there are any that have skills at 5 pieces, but don't quote me on that. Odogaron for example gets Punishing Draw at 2 pieces and Protective Polish at 4 pieces. You don't get anything extra for wearing the 5th piece, aside from looking like a super badass because its the odogaron armor.
Sq1dvm
AG
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-09-monster-hunter-world-is-getting-a-mega-man-collaboration
This looks cool, have to be level 13 and done with the story to get Megaman armor. Hoping I can get there in time.
Sq1dvm
AG
Hit HR 13, and holy crap does this game open up after that. There are so many choices I have trouble trying to pick which gear to go after next. I can see how someone could invest hundreds of hours in this game.
Red Five
AG
I find that the typical pattern is that I farm for gear and get to about 80% of the ideal set for the weapon I'm using, and then I see a youtube video of someone killing and elder dragon in 90 seconds with a different weapon and I have to start all over again.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Sq1dvm said:

Hit HR 13, and holy crap does this game open up after that. There are so many choices I have trouble trying to pick which gear to go after next. I can see how someone could invest hundreds of hours in this game.
Welcome to HR. Get ready for the long long grind to G Rank.
Sq1dvm
AG
Got my first Megaman ticket. Looks like it takes 5 total to unlock, 2 for the Mega Buster, 3 for the suit/helmet. Fun fight, small odogaron and a large one in an arena with old school Megaman music playing.

Edir to correct number of tickets needed
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I just opened up high rank at level 11, and I'm having the opposite reaction. Getting a very strong NewGame+ vibe. "Congrats on beating the game. You can keep playing, but be prepared to grind 10 times as much for 10 times less new content"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sq1dvm
AG
I enjoyed the new area and monsters that open up after the rathian.
I beat my first nergigante tonight in large part due to the advice on the thread! Thanks gang.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Sq1dvm said:

I enjoyed the new area and monsters that open up after the rathian.
I beat my first nergigante tonight in large part due to the advice on the thread! Thanks gang.
Solo?
Red Five
AG
Speaking of Nerg, I just recently started going after tempered elders after beating Kirin a couple weeks ago. Vaal was almost no different from the non-tempered version, really easy for the most part once you negate the effluvia. Nerg one-shot me twice >.< the second time it was just like a little slap, like a cat pawing at a toy. I still don't know how it killed me. I was pretty close to him limping off but it was a 2-faint only investigation unfortunately. I knew it would be risky but its a 5-reward quest, gotta get those streamstones.
Sq1dvm
AG
Yep. I still haven't played with anyone, had a buddy I was going to play with but I got too far ahead. Had a mix of alpha and beta Legiana armor and an evade charm so my evade was +5 and divine blessing +3. I potioned up and used kadachi strike bow with power coating. Palico put him to sleep once and I barrel bombed him, then bombed him again in his cave. He carted me once early, that taught me to keep my distance.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Sq1dvm said:

Yep. I still haven't played with anyone, had a buddy I was going to play with but I got too far ahead. Had a mix of alpha and beta Legiana armor and an evade charm so my evade was +5 and divine blessing +3. I potioned up and used kadachi strike bow with power coating. Palico put him to sleep once and I barrel bombed him, then bombed him again in his cave. He carted me once early, that taught me to keep my distance.
Wow. I SoS'd into all of that content. Good job. He's not easy...even with the solo dammage reduction.
Red Five
AG
Holy ****, new monster just announced that is dropping THIS WEEK.

This came out of nowhere.
Red Five
AG
http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2018/04/17/monster-hunter-world-expands-with-new-elder-dragon-kulve-taroth-new-limited-time-quest-type

This is a limited time event that introduces a new type of gameplay- "siege" mode. This is a multiplayer-dedicated quest that will allow all 16 hunters in a single hub to work on the same event. I'm not yet sure if they will be in game with each other or in 4 separate 4-player instances that somehow contribute towards a single overall goal.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
It drops tomorrow I think. But you need a Guild to do it. And it's not a true 16 player event. It's 4 sets of 4 Guild players all doing the same event in order to repel the new monster.

Here's another vid.

Red Five
AG
I watched a little bit of the stream today. If you join a session online in a gathering hub with other players, all players will complete the same kulve taroth investigation. each group that attempts the quest will add progress to the investigation, which will give rewards to anyone who participates even if they don't complete the quest. I'm not sure exactly how that happens, but that is the language they used. Rewards come from breaking parts from what I saw, so it seems like if someone in the gathering hub breaks a part, all players in the hub who have participated in the investigation will get that reward, even if it wasn't their squad that broke the part.
Red Five
AG
Also, people have been saying this won't be able to be done solo, but I'm not sure thats the case. Rewards are based on research level from collecting tracks and from breaking parts. Breaking both horns will end the quest, but it doesn't appear to me that you have to complete the quest in order to get rewards (same as with any other part break). Maybe you wont be able to get the tickets for palico armor or something, but it looks to me like its going to be possible to get the rewards solo, even if it takes a lot longer.
Red Five
AG
The update was live last night and I participated in a Kulve Taroth siege. It was one of the most fun things I've done in Monster Hunter. I jumped in a gathering hub and joined an in progress siege that had probably only recently started because the reward level was only at 3. There were 3 groups going, on our first attempt our group got her to the final area before we failed from carting. We quickly started another siege group upon returning to the hub and this time when we got her to the final area we were able to break the horns and complete the quest. I have no idea what the other groups were able to do or how us breaking the horns affected what was happening in their quests. Kulve runs away after you break her horns, but you can carve each horn 3-4 times. Also, there are a metric ****ton of shiny drops to pick up during the quest. When we got back to the hub I talked to the hub lass again to get my rewards. I ended up getting like 12 weapons I think, mostly the lower tier rarity 6 ones. I got two rarity 7 hammers that happened to be the same, and a rarity 8 long sword. I don't play long sword so I don't know how it stacks up with the current top tier. Our reward level was 17 when we completed the quest.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
So how can I pug in since there's no SoS and my entire group quit playing?
Red Five
AG
I just searched for an online session and picked one with the most players. I figured most people would be doing it. When creating a session the creator can specify kulve taroth but when I searched for that I got nothing.

Alternatively, it has already been soloed.
Sq1dvm
AG
So tell me about Elder seal. When facing the 3 elder dragons after Nerg should I just choose elemental weapons that they are weak too or is it better to build high eleder seal weapons?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.