Monster Hunter ***Official Thread***

16,090 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't taken on the Barioth expedition yet as I'm cleaning up some optional quests first. I agree with Viper Tobi being the most annoying early encounter, although I think a lot of that is due to not knowing I was going to be fighting him. Poison resistance is easy to gem in. Same with sleep resistance, which completely trivializes Nightshade Paolumu. Coral Pukei-Pukei was a really annoyance for me too, the water blasts are hard to figure out how to dodge for me.

The biggest struggle for me so far was probably the Tempered Banbaro quest to upgrade the vitality mantle. I had no issues at all with regular banbaro, but the tempered version gave me issues.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah, I went in to the Viper fight without any poison resistance and with high rank armor. He hit like a truck and the poison ticks were ridiculous. Still beat him but died 3 times and would have failed if it wasn't an expedition. Been doing optional quests since except Nightshade Polomalu, and he was a joke since I knew to bring sleep resist.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tex117
AG
When does the Viper Tobi become available? I have beating the first monster (snow catfish)...and I have crafted some early master rank armor.

I want to make the Viber Tobi Longsword.
Bones08
AG
Viper Tobi becomes available during the third assigned quest
bbattbq01
AG
Tex117 said:

When does the Viper Tobi become available? I have beating the first monster (snow catfish)...and I have crafted some early master rank armor.

I want to make the Viber Tobi Longsword.

He's the third monster you fight in hoarfrost reach iirc, but you may have to kill a couple variants back in the new world first before you get him. He's one of the earlier monsters.

One of my favorite things with this expansion are the new turf wars. Love watching the monsters throw each other all over the place lol
Tex117
AG
Bones08 said:

Thanks Bone
Tex117
AG
Tex117 said:

Bones08 said:

Thanks Bones and Batt
bbattbq01
AG
Velkhana
ramblin_ag02
AG
Just beat Velkhana this weekend. Honestly didn't think he was that bad, maybe just because you get to fight him a few times before the real battle. I had a lot more trouble going in blind on some of these story-scripted "expeditions". Nearly failed the Narcacuga quest for that reason. Him and Tigrex were the worst so far for sure, but it seems like they added meth to the water supply in the New World. Every new monster is so spastic.

Only failed quest so far is good old Tempered Black Diablos for the mantle upgrade. That guy is a jerk. Running around 780 defense, 150 health and evade extend 3, and he still one shots me x 3 with the same charge that I can't dodge.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Five
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Only failed quest so far is good old Tempered Black Diablos for the mantle upgrade. That GIRL is a jerk. Running around 780 defense, 150 health and evade extend 3, and she still one shots me x 3 with the same charge that I can't dodge.
FIFY, all Black Diablos are female. But I fricken hate Black Diablos.

I failed on the Nargacuga story quest, but it was at least half just wanting to abandon it so I could go to bed because it was too late. Narga just gives me problems though, something about its movements. Looking forward to Tigrex, gotta warm up my charge blade skills for that. Tigrex just never gets tired of slamming his head into a shield and taking KO damage.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

FIFY, all Black Diablos are female.
I don't know. It's the 21 century and all... Best not to assume

I'm liking the difficulty so far. I was at the point of just wailing on anything except Arch tempered monsters without even really paying attention to what they were doing. Having to hit and run is more fun

Bones08
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Just beat Velkhana this weekend. Honestly didn't think he was that bad, maybe just because you get to fight him a few times before the real battle. I had a lot more trouble going in blind on some of these story-scripted "expeditions". Nearly failed the Narcacuga quest for that reason. Him and Tigrex were the worst so far for sure, but it seems like they added meth to the water supply in the New World. Every new monster is so spastic.

Only failed quest so far is good old Tempered Black Diablos for the mantle upgrade. That guy is a jerk. Running around 780 defense, 150 health and evade extend 3, and he still one shots me x 3 with the same charge that I can't dodge.
If you think these monsters are methed up and spastic just wait for the first DLC monster to be released next month. It has uhhhh a reputation.
bbattbq01
AG
I still haven't beat Velkhana, haven't had a ton of time to play and spent last few sessions going back and doing all the tribe quests since I didn't finish them before iceborne... needed the plunderblade to help with getting mantles for upgrades! Oh and being able to ride monsters in all the zones is +++.
bbattbq01
AG
Finally beat her last night, actually farming some mantles so I could upgrade my last couple gold out HR armor pieces to MR helped.
bbattbq01
AG
Finished up iceborne story mode tonight... pro tip for the last boss... do it solo. Randoms aren't smart enough to stay out from in front of it and that's about the only place it can strong attack.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Bones08 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

If you think these monsters are methed up and spastic just wait for the first DLC monster to be released next month. It has uhhhh a reputation.

You weren't kidding. Coked up monkey needs to chill
bbattbq01
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Bones08 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

You weren't kidding. Coked up monkey needs to chill

Looking forward to fighting him tonight... I think.
Bones08
AG
Hahaha yea. Rajang is a beast for sure. Carted twice and took 25 minutes but I finally brought it down.

Really fun fight though.
ramblin_ag02
AG
He triple carted me the first time. Second time I joined another player and it took us about 35 minutes together. Spent most of the time chasing him all over the map. He's a pain to melee. Either he's running out of range or knocking you down
bbattbq01
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

He triple carted me the first time. Second time I joined another player and it took us about 35 minutes together. Spent most of the time chasing him all over the map. He's a pain to melee. Either he's running out of range or knocking you down

Triple cart solo, freaking thing moves so fast. 20 min capture with four man group second time. His turf wars... love his rathalos flip.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Anyone else jumping back in to finish this off? So far I've solo'd every monster except new Kulve, Alatreon, and Fatalis. Stopped playing after beating up on Raging Brachy and Furious coke monkey.

Figure I can beat the new guys and then hang up my hunting horn and light bowgun for good.

I'm on PS4 under same handle if anyone wants to coordinate

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.