Raspberry Pi NES build

17,518 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flakrat
AggieBob08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided to build a Raspberry Pi NES for my 4 year old.

Got the Pi, NES case, Controllers....any advice on where to start? Never built anything with a Pi before.

TIA
srob2004
AG
Follow this -> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

It worked great for us. Kids love to play old NES and SNES games. Just make sure you have the ROMS
Goldie Wilson
If you can find them, Reddit had a few thorough tutorials in the past few weeks.
The Fife
If you can find them, link them because I'm interested too.
spieg12
AG
Here's a pretty dang cool one from another thread. The whole thing is inside a game cartridge.

LINK
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Is there somewhere I can safely buy one already built?
permabull
AG
tk for tu juan
How can I pull the ROM from my old Odyssey2, Intellivision, and NES cartridges?
permabull
AG
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want to do anything other than plug it in and hook up the HDMI cable. I'm old.

Is there not a way to buy a completed Pi emulator?
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
You need special equipment for ROM dumping. Just go to emuparadise. It's a safe site. I trust it more than torrents. You can DL individual ROMS or entire sets for a system.

---

The lack of Sega Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X love in all these recent emulation threads concerns me!

You guys should also be playing the handhelds via emu: GB, GBC, GBA, Sega GG.

If you're 8 bit fans, don't forget to give the Atari 7800 some attention!

If you're a big retro nerd like me, get into Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
BEaggie08
AG
Some of these retro games make my eyes bleed when played on a modern television.
tk for tu juan
I still have my TurboGrafx 16, currently sitting in a tote in the closet.
AggieBob08
AG
So my goal for this is simple. I am going for the original 2 button controller with a case that, though tiny, looks like the old school NES. I only want to use this for NES games for now since they might be the simplest for her to play. I want to tackle this project tonight and I will let y'all know how it goes.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
hypeiv said:

Where are you located? If you are in North Dallas I can help you out

Aledo! I'll shoot you an email.
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
BEaggie08 said:

Some of these retro games make my eyes bleed when played on a modern television.

Original hardware + European RBG SCART cables + Framemeister XRGB mini + HDMI to modern TV.

Your mind will be blown. It looks amazing. Way better that your composite looked in the day. We really got screwed in the States with no SCART.

@tk, niceeee. I've never owned one but emulate the mess out of it. Arcade action titles & RPGs are my two favorite genres so TG16 is right up my alley.
---
permabull
AG
AggieBob08
AG
Much easier than expected! Still waiting on those NES controllers to come in but had a couple old PS3 controller lying around that worked just fine. The biggest hiccup I encountered was the fact that I had no SD slot on any computer at had in the house!
I ended up using my game camera to access the SD card and load the retropie image. And yes that is a game camera used for hunting...
permabull
AG
AggieBob08
AG
Yup. I'm glad I kept these.
zurcaled11
AG
Anyone find any decent retro usb controllers? The amazon reviews for the classic NES one seem to be pretty terrible lately.
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
I have this guy and love it. Keep in mind I use it on PC but I have read about others using it on Pi also. Double check Amazon Q/As.

I was shocked how much it felt like a SNES controller. I use it on NES as well. I notice ZERO lag. I've had it recognized in 20+ emulators.

Buffalo USB SNES Controller:
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

---
tk for tu juan
I am using the iBuffalo Classic USB Gamepad on the Raspberry Pi that I just setup and it works fine. Just need to figure out how to configure the buttons for the Intellivision games, since the original Intellivision controller was a disc, two side buttons, and a numeric pad.
sanitariex
AG
So what wireless controllers have you guys found to be the most responsive? Was looking at converting some old Xbox 360 controllers with the wireless access point and using those
permabull
AG
redd38
AG
sanitariex said:

So what wireless controllers have you guys found to be the most responsive? Was looking at converting some old Xbox 360 controllers with the wireless access point and using those
I've got a couple NES30 PROs that I like.
permabull
AG
TX scallywAG
AG
hypeiv said:

Quote:

I took a risk on this set b/c they seem to have the best reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9K6QE3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know what I think once they get to me.

a quick follow up on these... I got them today and they are about 3/5 out of the box. A lot of reviewers complained about the slop in the d-pad and I agree. However I was able to take the controller apart and put three small layers of electrical tape on the ball of the d pad and that has cleared up most of my issues.

I am not a big fan of the NES controller but I think if you want to simulate the experience of using one these can be a good substitute for cheap if you are willing to take the time to open them up and mod them.

Don't forget Nintendo did release a SNES form factor controller for the NES. These are called the dog bone today. The regular controller kills my hands after about 30 minutes so I go with SNES or Genesis 6 button style controllers.

---
tamusc
AG
redd38 said:

sanitariex said:

I've got a couple NES30 PROs that I like.
Yeah, the 8Bitdo wireless controllers are excellent and offer a variety of controller styles.

http://www.8bitdo.com/

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_wi_web_9176188011?ie=UTF8&node=9176188011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=8Bitdo
Wildmen03
AG
Here's my build that I just put together.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with a 32gb SD card in an Old Skool Nintendo case.

Paired it with a 8BITDO SNES game pad through bluetooth. Also have a wired XBOX360 remote for games that require a joystick or two.

It will eventually end up in my living room but for now it's in my office on my desk while I finish uploading games and configuring it the way that I want.

maverick2076
I just ordered all the stuff to do my build. Everything should be here Saturday (Thanks Amazon Prime!) I'm looking forward to teaching my daughter how to play Super Mario World!

Raspberry Pi 3B with heat sinks and power cable
Old Skool NES case
8BitDo Bluetooth SNES controller x2
HDMI cable
32gbmicro SD card
permabull
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.