Middle Earth: Shadow of War

9,195 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chjoak
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some of the new skills

Buck O Five
AG
Pretty cool. Additional skills look like they add quite a bit of power, I wonder how they balance that with difficulty?
wangus12
AG
titanmaster_race
man, SoM was awesome. the nemesis system is one of the most inventive things ever in gaming. My only knock against it was lack of replayability, at least IMO.
agfan2013
AG
First game was good, this one looks even better. Agreed on the lack of replay-ability even with the nemesis system. This one looks to fix that and make it even better.

August is the perfect time for this as once you hit sept-dec you've got tons of big name titles like CoD, destiny 2, assassins creed, RDR2, and more so I'll be picking this up ahead of the mad rush of triple A titles to end the year. Just don't have enough time to play them all.
wee_ag
AG
Shadow of War will import your worst Shadow of Mordor Nemesis

jr15aggie
AG
agfan2013 said:

August is the perfect time for this as once you hit sept-dec you've got tons of big name titles

I would agree, but this is one of the games promising upgrades for the One X, so I think I'll hold off so I can feel better about spending money on a console upgrade.
AtlAg05
AG
Saw that the first one is free to play soon
agfan2013
AG
jr15aggie said:

agfan2013 said:

August is the perfect time for this as once you hit sept-dec you've got tons of big name titles

I would agree, but this is one of the games promising upgrades for the One X, so I think I'll hold off so I can feel better about spending money on a console upgrade.

Just better graphics in an update is it not? Whatever floats your boat. Of course what I posted back then is hardly relevant now as not only did this game get pushed back into October (right in the middle of all the other AAA titles coming out) so did RDR2 and ace combat. So I think I will still be picking this one up as my schedule got a little less crowded with those two games getting delayed into 2018. Still wish SoW was coming out in August as outside of Uncharted DLC story releasing in August, I wont be buying any other games until October.
wangus12
AG
SPullig
So who has had an opportunity to play? I'm overseas but preordered and I should have it in 10-14 days.
Pman17
AG
Is it good? Just as hard as the other one? Kinda want to get it when I get my X.
dcaggie04
AG
Picked it up and played for about 4 hours last night. Good story so far. Gameplay and fighting is similar to SOM. This round you unlock your skills as you go along. Also, gear setup is very good IMO. You can upgrade epic gear perks for doing certain things. You can also get legendary gear which has set bonuses.

I was fighting one captain and it took me about 20 minutes to finally beat him. He kept adapting to my moves which made me try different ways of fighting. Really good way to learn some of the other fighting mechanics which I found useful for other captains I fought which had immunities to certain skills.
agfan2013
AG
Similar to the poster above, I got about 2.5 hours in yesterday. Not much has changed from the control scheme, however, leveling up and gear pieces are different this time around. I haven't played far enough to see how the region attacking/defending mechanic plays out but the nemisis system is back and better than before. As mentioned captains can learn from your fighting style and make fights much harder, and frequently I've been the one ambushed by a captain, not the other way around as certain bad guys will come searching for you.

I'm playing on normal difficulty and just like the last game it's very challenging at the beginning before you start to unlock perks when you rank up.

Overall it's just a refined game experience from the first one. If you liked the first game you will like this one, and if you didn't like the first you probably won't enjoy this one either.
wangus12
AG
Need to pick it up soon, but I'm currently playing through the Assassin's Creed library before the new one comes out.
jr15aggie
AG
Pman17 said:

Is it good? Just as hard as the other one? Kinda want to get it when I get my X.
Will definitely be getting this sometime after I get my X at launch! I remember really liking the first one but I'll be darned if I can remember how to play the game. Button combos, power ups, etc. are completely lost to me, but I remember the locations and the fun I had with it.

This one looks to have taken it up a notch and hopefully the X upgrades will put it over the top.
SPullig
Which ones? I lost interest trying to play Unity and still haven't completed Syndicate. Didn't like how the storyline changed. All that said I will probably get Origins after Christmas
thaed137
AG
So far reviews on Reddit that I have seen have been positive. It seems it is a more polished and much more in-depth version of SOM. Stuff like you can get ambushed by orcs, they change how they fight based on how you fight them, etc.. have apparently made it much more challenging.

I'll probably grab it after I finish my playthrough of Witcher III
I Like Mike
AG
I have it on Steam. It's pretty fantastic. Great fun and really immersive story. Interested to see how they tie this into the lore of LOTR.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just picked it up so I'll be checking it out after work
GetThoseKeysMilo
A lot of reviews online are whining about micro transactions. Is this a real complaint, or is this just people looking for something to complain about? Are the transactions necessary to complete the game?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

A lot of reviews online are whining about micro transactions. Is this a real complaint, or is this just people looking for something to complain about? Are the transactions necessary to complete the game?

From what I can tell they're completely unnecessary and just people complaining about it. From what I've played I've seen no reason to buy them, and reading Reddit it sounds like that doesn't change. I think it's a little blown out of proportion
I Like Mike
AG
There is a marketplace. In the menus. Totally optional.
dcaggie04
AG
You in no way, shape or form have to partake in the microtransactions to play this game. Heck, some of the loot boxes that can be purchased can be purchased with currency you get by playing the game (aka not spending any real money).

There is a big movement right now being pushed by really, really stupid people to get microtransactions banned. I've seen stuff where they are trying to get the government to classify the loot box type microtransactions as gambling so they can have the government ban them. Even though the whole concept of the loot boxes is you will always get something of value out of them unlike gambling where you have a chance of getting nothing.
spieg12
AG
IGN did a video where they spent $100 on the chests. They basically came to the conclusion that you are literally paying money to shorten the game and wasting your money. Since everything except XP boost can be gotten in the game from captains and other sources, if you pay to get captains, you are shortening the game.

Basically people will cry about anything.
Cromagnum
AG
Will wait for a sale on this one. Current backlog is too full as it is.
cr0wbar
AG
Holy cow - I've poured in probably 6-8+ hours in since I got it last Tuesday. Very fun, very addicting. I know how some 10K Mirian - no clue how I'm going to spend all of this. I'm not even in Act 2 yet.

There are a ton of skills to upgrade Talion, hell, I'm only level 18 and I think I've forgotten some of the things that I can already do. I'm probably just over 1/3 of the way of skill point upgrades.
Tomdoss92
AG
cr0wbar said:

Holy cow - I've poured in probably 6-8+ hours in since I got it last Tuesday. Very fun, very addicting. I know how some 10K Mirian - no clue how I'm going to spend all of this. I'm not even in Act 2 yet.

There are a ton of skills to upgrade Talion, hell, I'm only level 18 and I think I've forgotten some of the things that I can already do. I'm probably just over 1/3 of the way of skill point upgrades.
similar story. i'm stuck in act I because I pretty much have to get vengeance on the sucker that killed me and 50% of the time another little ****** gets me before I kill everyone on my list.

vicious cycle.
cr0wbar
AG
Welp. Act II the game OPENS UP. Get out of Act I as quickly as you can.

I spent another 3+ hours messing around with sieges last night. It's almost overwhelming, especially when you start opening up other regions. I'm now level 22/23 and mistakenly stumbled into a region with a bunch of level 35+ guys. Not one, but two Level 37 Epic Olog Hai Ambushers hit me within a minute of walking around that place. I died...quickly.

Edit: On an unrelated note... I've fought maybe...100+ Captains so far. And have yet to hear a repeated captain taunt (that I can remember). Some are short, others are incredibly (almost hilariously) long. Can you imagine the amount of dialogue they've had to have recorded?!
spieg12
AG
cr0wbar said:

Welp. Act II the game OPENS UP. Get out of Act I as quickly as you can.

Yep, act 1 is basically just the game on training wheels. I had a buddy who played close to a week in act 1. I kept telling him to move on and now that he finally has he understands why I was telling him to.
agfan2013
AG
Yep, agreed that it's wide open once you get past act 1. They fixed my biggest complaint from the first game which was you didn't get to dominate captains and start building your army until way too late in the game, now you can do it much earlier.

The new nemesis mechanics like ambushes and blood brothers really make every fight and encounter unique. Attacking siege strongholds is a ton of fun too, whether it's in your story or attacking someone's online.

The first game was good, this one improves upon everything and makes it better.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I'm also in Act II, and there is so much stuff to do.

The nemesis system is amazing. Every single captain is different and you never know how your story with a captain will unfold.

I enjoyed the first game but this one has surpassed it, it's a ton of fun and I can already tell I'm going to sink way too many hours into it
jokershady
AG
Agree with everything I've read so far! Played Shadow of Mordor and completely beat it and having a blast with this one!

During one mission in Act 1 (forget which one...dealt with a huge brawl in a collesium) an old nemesis from the first game showed up and brought up all the bull **** he put me through in the first game and had to take him out. Very cool.

The humor in this one is pretty good too when they filter it in. The first captain you take over (at least for my game) is friekin hilarious.

Having a good time right now setting up different strategies to capture different captains guarding war chiefs.

Also! Haven't gotten far enough to do it but it seems like you'll be spending a lot of your in-game credits on upgrading your army with different perks depending on who the captains are on your side.

**** is awesome.
SPullig
Finally got it in the mail yesterday. Ended up leaving office early and playing the better part of 7 hours last night. Got into Act 2 and am really enjoying it. Big issue is will I slow down enough this weekend in order to stretch it out.
thaed137
AG
Definitely enjoying this one. The army building, fort assaults, betrayals, etc are all pretty neat features. The main story line isn't too bad either. So far I have taken two forts and am about to take my third. None of mine have been assaulted yet so not sure how that will go. Building defenses definitely is a money sink. I went from having all the money in the world to almost nothing.....stupid metal walls, better be worth it.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.