Anyone have an MS Surface?

4,717 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Eliminatus
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
how did you get that price?
online is showing $650 for in store pickup

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Tablet PC (Factory-Refurbished); PZ2-00003-B; Intel Core i5-4300U 1.9GHz CPU; 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD Storage; Windows 10 OS

SKU: 183137

PZ2-00003-B
Intel Core i5-4300U 1.9GHz CPU
8GB RAM & 256GB SSD Storage
8 IN STOCK
$649.99
H6RBW
AG
Partly because its older and came with Windows 8, I think, but I'm not 100% sure. The whole thing was a little weird. I've been periodically checking Microcenter's website for good deals on one, but wasn't motivated by the listings you saw. But, last Thursday night, I randomly checked and saw this:

Had no idea what the open box note meant, but for the price, I decided to reserve it and go down and take a look at it the next day. Seemed too good to be true, and that's the reason I took the screenshot. When I went down to look at it, I was expecting it to be scratched and dented beyond belief, or have some other glaring defect. But it didn't. It looked brand new.

Something weird had happened with it though - the stickers on the beaten-up box said it was sent from Microcenter back to Microsoft for something to be repaired way back in Feb. 2015, then returned to the Dallas store the next month. What happened to it between March 2015 and last week, I don't know and no one at Microcenter admitted to knowing. But from its appearance, it must have spent a lot of that time sitting on a shelf not getting used.

When we opened the box, it was missing part of the power cable. They grabbed a new one so we could power it on, and then saw that it still had someone's account on it. So, Microcenter re-imaged it. After that, we learned that it was actually an i5 (not an i7 as listed on the website and on the box). That must be what the open box note was about, but why Microcenter ever put it on their website as an i7, I don't know.

How it got into an i7 box, and what exactly happened to it...don't know. But at the end of the day, I walked out of the store with a brand-new-looking Pro 3 for under $400. And it works great. Other than a little trouble getting Windows 8 to update at first, I've had no trouble with it [fingers-crossed].
Bryan98
AG
I tried a Surface Pro 3 a while back, and while it was an awesome laptop, it wasn't a great tablet. I ended up taking it back and getting an iPad Pro.

Now that my laptop (which I rarely use) is slowly dying, I'm starting to think about a Surface Pro strictly as a replacement for that, with the expectation that I'll keep my iPad Pro for primary tablet use.

One awesome feature of the Surface Pro was streaming my Xbox One to any part of my house. It worked really, really well. I also prefer the wider aspect ratio of the Surface Pro - a ton of the iPad screen is wasted when you're watching 16x9 video.

Hopefully the SP5 will have ironed out most of the kinks I saw in the SP3.
H6RBW
AG
Funny. I love both my Surfaces as tablets but, while they're more than adequate as laptops, I really only use them as laptops when I'm out of the office/away from home and can't use a larger laptop or desktop.
fig96
AG
Bryan98 said:

I tried a Surface Pro 3 a while back, and while it was an awesome laptop, it wasn't a great tablet. I ended up taking it back and getting an iPad Pro.

Now that my laptop (which I rarely use) is slowly dying, I'm starting to think about a Surface Pro strictly as a replacement for that, with the expectation that I'll keep my iPad Pro for primary tablet use.

One awesome feature of the Surface Pro was streaming my Xbox One to any part of my house. It worked really, really well. I also prefer the wider aspect ratio of the Surface Pro - a ton of the iPad screen is wasted when you're watching 16x9 video.

Hopefully the SP5 will have ironed out most of the kinks I saw in the SP3.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that this is the exact issue I had with my Surface 3 (and it was too small to be a really usable laptop).

I'm debating on what to do next, as a designer I'm pretty heavily invested in OS X as well as iOS but I do really love what the Surface Pro 4 can do. I've also got a rather new MacBook Pro (about a year old) so I'm not really in a rush.
agracer
AG
Anyone need a pen? Sending mine back is not worth it.
AggieJason
AG
I have an original Surface Pro (it's 5 years old now!) that I've moved from Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 > Windows 10. It's rock solid and works like a charm. I was highly impressed, even if it's a bit under-powered. Great email/web machine.

An iPad tablet like device it is not.
Eliminatus
AG
agracer said:

Anyone need a pen? Sending mine back is not worth it.
I bought one about a day before you said you were ditching the MS. Missed timing on both of our parts. The pen is a YUGE improvement over the SP3 Pen. I might contemplate getting another one for backup though at some point. I am notorious for losing those things. On my third at this point.

You don't happen to have the SP4 keyboard now do you?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.