Anyone have an MS Surface?

4,718 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Eliminatus
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up a Surface 3 to replace an aging iPad, and all I can say is I'm more than a little frustrated with the devise.

After the free upgrade to W10, the video would splinter at times and I would have to hit the power button, then hit it again to get the the screen to clean up. Updated, downgraded, etc. etc. drivers. Downgrading the driver would cause the screen to go 100% brightness and I could not adjust it at all (killing the battery life). No upgrade other than drivers from Feb'16 (which us all that is available). Finally go it to stop by setting the screen refresh at 48hZ.

Web links don't always click. Have to hit links 2-3 times to get them to register.

Pull down menu's don't' work. Example, the pull down forum button next to "The Nerdery" on this page; when I hit it with my finger, it just goes down, then disappears when I lift my finger. I cannot select anything.

More than anything I wanted a note taking device for work and a replacement for the iPad at home (I'm interfacing with a lot more clients and do more proposal work and trying to stay organized instead of 20-pages of paper notes all over my desk). Also in the field and the ability to import PDF drawings to One Note and then write on them is much easier than carrying around large drawings. The pen is showing up today and I'll give it a run, but so far I'm less than impressed.

I guess I was expecting a tablet and really it's a lap top in tablet form. I do not have the keyboard and it seems that is really the only way to get full functionality, but that's really not what I was looking for. Thinking of going to iPad Pro with pen.
VonDownByTheRiver
You bought a Surface without knowing it's a PC?

Can't really help you there, dog.

I love my SP4.
Al Bula
AG
I have a Surface Pro 3 that had Windows 8 on it when it was purchased. I've updated to Windows 10 and have had no issues. I routinely browse texags without the keyboard and have no problems tapping the forum drop down and it staying expanded while I scroll between boards.

My only real gripe is that I don't use the note taking features or pen at all, but that's my problem. It has nothing to do with the hardware, I just prefer to type rather than write.

The Surface line is great.
ExPLK
AG
Love my SP4.
IslandAg76
AG
I have a Surface Pro 3 and upgraded to Windows 10.
No problems.
AgMarauder04
AG
I'm waiting for SP5 to drop. Less fun expensive than the Lenovo and surface book and does what I need.

Also like the detachable option. Pretty sure that's the route.
91AggieLawyer
AG
My niece's boyfriend works for MS and they use the Surface (probably a 4 pro) as their primary computer.

I'm interested in, if its true, the new 10.5 iPad Pro, though I do wish Apple would create an actual file system for iOS. Or, they can make iCloud much better.
hangman
I have the original surface pro and I haven't liked it very much. A lot of minor glitches like you are saying killed it for me. I ended up buying a mac pro retina that was on sale and I love how everything works for the most part.
Al Bula
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I do wish Apple would create an actual file system for iOS. Or, they can make iCloud much better.
This is a big limitation Apple foolishly clings to. Apple has made the iPhone and iPad very convenient to use. It is ironic they won't include a native iOS file browser that would seriously kill it.

Oh well, I am content on using a Surface for work and iPad for play. The only way I do any productive activities on my iPad or iPhone is if I am using Office 365, mainly OneNote.
agracer
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

I love my SP4.
Just didn't realize it would be so much more flaky than a true tablet.

I put it in tablet mode and it works similar to a tablet. But the little quirks I noted above are frustrating. Whats the point of a primarily e-mail/web tool that I can't use. And the screen splitting is very annoying. I bought it from Amazon and the way it was packaged I'm wondering if it was a refurb. and not "NEW" as advertised.

Press the power button just turns off the display, it does not lock the devise like every other tablet in the world. I have to "log out" to make that happen.
VonDownByTheRiver
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/create-a-shortcut-for-locking-your-computer-screen-in-windows-vista/.

Eliminatus
AG
agracer said:

VonDownByTheRiver said:

I love my SP4.

I put it in tablet mode and it works similar to a tablet. But the little quirks I noted above are frustrating. Whats the point of a primarily e-mail/web tool that I can't use. And the screen splitting is very annoying. I bought it from Amazon and the way it was packaged I'm wondering if it was a refurb. and not "NEW" as advertised.

Press the power button just turns off the display, it does not lock the devise like every other tablet in the world. I have to "log out" to make that happen.

Well....it is a PC so I think you were wanting something else. As far as screen splitting google the basic commands of how to do it.....and then don't do that. I have a 3 which is awesome but there is a bit of a learning curve. From my experience 99% of peoples problems stem from operator error.

However, if you are facing an actual issue just contact customer support. It's pretty much a swap in , swap out kinda deal.

Surfaces are awesome, if you know how to use it properly and if everything is working correctly of course. When everything is good, there is no comparison in my eyes between the surface and an iPad.
agracer
AG
Eliminatus said:

agracer said:

VonDownByTheRiver said:

I love my SP4.

Well....it is a PC so I think you were wanting something else. As far as screen splitting google the basic commands of how to do it.....and then don't do that. I have a 3 which is awesome but there is a bit of a learning curve. From my experience 99% of peoples problems stem from operator error.

However, if you are facing an actual issue just contact customer support. It's pretty much a swap in , swap out kinda deal.

Surfaces are awesome, if you know how to use it properly and if everything is working correctly of course. When everything is good, there is no comparison in my eyes between the surface and an iPad.
Sorry, I meant screen splintering, as in the graphics go haywire and the screen goes to 256 colors and the left/right edges of the screen are now in the middle.

Doing a bit more reading, it appears the technology difference b/w the Wacom Digitizer and a capacative touch screen may be part of my issue. I've never used a Wacom tablet and now understand that my light touch on a link is not like a Galaxy or iPad (and any replacement needs a pen with palm rejection - which means Wacom Digitizer). I need a firmer touch to make things work. Pen will be here tomorrow. That will help me decide if I want to keep it.
aezmvp
I have literally no problem with my SP2. Love that thing.
agracer
AG
I don't have the pro, don't know if that matters.

It's just the surface 3.
The Dog Lord
AG
I have the Surface 3. Never had any problems in tablet or regular. After playing around with it at first I never use it in tablet though as I got it primarily due to it being a full-fledged PC. You might want to look into a return. You could have gotten a messed up one.
Cloud
RPM said:

91AggieLawyer said:

I do wish Apple would create an actual file system for iOS. Or, they can make iCloud much better.
This is a big limitation Apple foolishly clings to. Apple has made the iPhone and iPad very convenient to use. It is ironic they won't include a native iOS file browser that would seriously kill it.

Why? A cloud service like Google Drive performs perfectly for this purpose.
Al Bula
AG
Cloud said:

RPM said:

91AggieLawyer said:

i find the ms apps to be far better than google's offering even with the free storage AFS gives Aggies. Just a personal decision I suppose.
VonDownByTheRiver
RPM said:

Cloud said:

RPM said:

91AggieLawyer said:

i find the ms apps to be far better than google's offering even with the free storage AFS gives Aggies. Just a personal decision I suppose.
The iOS Microsoft apps are pretty great.
YouBet
AG
Ive followed the Surface since it first came out because it always intrigued me. I just never had an excuse to buy one as I'm pretty full up with computing devices. But, most of the reviews over each successive generation have said the Surface Pro 4 is the one that put them in serious contention for grabbing market share.

Maybe consider an upgrade?
agracer
AG
YouBet said:

Ive followed the Surface since it first came out because it always intrigued me. I just never had an excuse to buy one as I'm pretty full up with computing devices. But, most of the reviews over each successive generation have said the Surface Pro 4 is the one that put them in serious contention for grabbing market share.

Maybe consider an upgrade?
It's $300+ the price of the Surface 3 I purchased. I'm going to go to the MS store this week and show them the hick ups I've experienced and see if they can maybe figure out if I got a bad one or not.

The pen was in the mailbox when I got home (it was delivered Saturday but I just never got the mail!).

The pen seems to work pretty well playing with One Note and some other apps last night. I do have to be a bit more deliberate about my hand writing so I can decipher my notes later on, but I'll continue to play with it and see how it goes. So far I like the pen.

Interestingly, the pull down menu works just fine with the pen.
Jasomania
AG
I've not heard anyone else with the screen glitching issues like you are having. It really sounds like there might be something deeper wrong with your S3. I've never had to take anything in but if you just got it, it should still be under warranty and it looks like to you can schedule a appointment at a Microsoft store like you can for apple and see what they say.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/microsoft-surface-warranty-faq

I have a surface 3 pro and love it, it is my primary computer but I wouldn't recommend it as a iPad replacement. I use the tablet mode occasionally and it has worked fine but not good enough for me to ditch my iPad for it. The MS app store just doesn't have the support that apple or android has and since Windows 10 they have basically abandoned it all together.
agracer
AG
Took it to MS store over lunch. Was previously registered as an enterprise device in July 2016. I cannot register it for warranty (and warranty runs out in July 2017 - so I don't get full warranty).

MS Store could not 100% say it was a refurb. as he could not be sure how an Amazon reseller might purchase a device. If I could register it, he would just swap it out but I can't. I have to call MS Support to see if they'll take off the old registration and put me in there instead for full support (then he might be able to swap it out).

I sent a note to Amazon to clarify above. We'll see what they say. If they won't take it back, I'll go to my CC company and file a complaint with them.

Since playing with the pen, I do like the device, but I want a NEW device, not refurb. If I wanted refurb. I could have saved $100.

Frustrating.

EDIT: I'll double check the invoice at home, but it does say BUY NEW on amazon's web page, which is what I did.
Eliminatus
AG
Should be an easy fix via Amazon. Call their customer service and tell them you have a confirmed refurb when it was supposed to be new. I am confident they will refund or replace completely. There is a lot of crap that gets through Amazon these days with their resellers but their CS is still topnotch and they have zero problems fixing legitimate issues such as the one you have.

It does suck you are having those issues though. Could be just a bad unit. It does happen sadly. I am on my second one myself after having some overheating issues initially.

Once you get a new one (you should be able to) that will probably fix a good chunk of your issues hopefully.

agracer
AG
Got a reply already from the reseller saying they are sorry for the issues and they will send me an RMA and return mailing slip to send it back and give me a refund.

Stopped by BB on the way home and played with the Galaxy Tab A with S-Pen Liked it, but the stylus is kind of on small side and I had trouble gripping it comfortably. Writes completely different than the Surface Pen. It's hard plastic on a glass screen.

Also tried the iPad Pro 9.7 with Apple Pen. Same thing as the Galaxy as far as writing goes.

I suppose if I truly want an iPad replacement either the Galaxy or the iPad is the way to go.

Galaxy is $349 (w/ stylus)
iPad is $599 + $100 for Stylus

Surface Pro 4 is $899..although I was looking for something in the 9-10" screen size, 12.3" is kind of big to carry around

(that's what she said!)

of course, now I have a useless case and $60 pen if I don't get another Surface....but I think I can return those as well. I managed to get them back in the box like they were never opened.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Question on Surface: I occasionally have the need to run a program on a PC or want to run a Windows app without using my Mac for emulation. I also sometimes need to be tech support for my parents and have little, if any, use on Windows past XP. Is there a limit on what files/programs the Surface (let's say a 3 on as I won't buy new) can run?
agracer
AG
other than graphic intensive programs like Photoshop or video editing, no. It will do those, be a little slow. Otherwise it should be able to run most anything.
agracer
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Question on Surface: I occasionally have the need to run a program on a PC or want to run a Windows app without using my Mac for emulation. I also sometimes need to be tech support for my parents and have little, if any, use on Windows past XP. Is there a limit on what files/programs the Surface (let's say a 3 on as I won't buy new) can run?
If you get one a need a pen/case, let me know. I returned my unit and decided to get a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen.

Returning the pen/case on Amazon is going to cost me 35% of what I paid for them.
Eliminatus
AG
A Surface is 100%PC. It is a Windows computer. The only difference between my surface and my desktop is how I interface with it and processing power. Surfaces will run any computer program.
Eliminatus
AG
agracer said:

91AggieLawyer said:

If you get one a need a pen/case, let me know. I returned my unit and decided to get a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen.

Returning the pen/case on Amazon is going to cost me 35% of what I paid for them.

Damnit! I just ordered a new Pro 4 pen yesterday. Where were you!
H6RBW
AG
I suspect you just lucked into a bad device. I bought a Surface 3 when they came out in 2015. Its still working fine, and never given me any of the problems you've described.
fig96
AG
I had a Surface 3 for a bit that I ended up getting rid of, my primary issue is that it wasn't a great PC and it wasn't a great tablet. It's too small to be of much use (for my purposes anyway) as a PC and Windows 8/10 have some tablet functionality but don't hold a candle to iOS.

I have considered a Surface Pro before and will seriously at some point in the future, a legit fairly powerful laptop with some tablet functionality seems like it would be a lot more useful.
Eliminatus
AG
Quote:

a legit fairly powerful laptop with some tablet functionality seems like it would be a lot more useful.

That is exactly how I view my SP3
VonDownByTheRiver
Don't forget the Surface Dock exists. I use mine on the dock for 10 hours a day at work and it's like having a full desktop PC.
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

I had a Surface 3 for a bit that I ended up getting rid of, my primary issue is that it wasn't a great PC and it wasn't a great tablet. It's too small to be of much use (for my purposes anyway) as a PC and Windows 8/10 have some tablet functionality but don't hold a candle to iOS.

I have considered a Surface Pro before and will seriously at some point in the future, a legit fairly powerful laptop with some tablet functionality seems like it would be a lot more useful.

Picked up a refurbished Surface Pro 3 (i5/8gb/256gb) from Microcenter yesterday for less than $400. It looks pristine, like it just sat on a shelf for the last two years. I'm a little worried about how the battery will do, but we'll see. Windows 8 is installing about a bazillion updates right now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.