Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,308 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Civen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k20dub said:

Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the Aggie Network Google Drive one, but what cloud backup service do y'all recommend? Seems like Backblaze is the cheapest at $7/month, but it seems like you have to plug in your hard drives every 30 days...no thanks. Dropbox unlimited storage is $60/month. A little steeper compared to what I'm currently paying with free storage on Google Drive. Thoughts? I have probably 10 TB of footage and photos that I need backed up.
Are you only looking for photo/video? Any raw files?

I use Smugmug for my media backup, and it's super cheap. $10/mo or $75/yr for their cheapest plan. It gives you unlimited storage for pics and vids, but if you want to save raw files the price goes up.

edit: You can also set your phone to auto-backup to their site. So if you're fighting with icloud/gdrive storage limits, this will help with that.
k20dub
AG
Yeah a mix of RAW Files and Edited photos/videos. I'll look into Smugmug.
Guitarsoup
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for just now getting back to this. So you found the 70-200 handy?
Yeah, but the wider angles are probably more handy. I used the 14mm - 50mm range way more than the 70-200 range.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Sweet. I got a 17-28 and a 24-70. I'm thinking just taking the 24-70, my 70-200, and a prime. Do you think I'll need that extra range with the wider lens? Or will 24 cover it?
Guitarsoup
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Sweet. I got a 17-28 and a 24-70. I'm thinking just taking the 24-70, my 70-200, and a prime. Do you think I'll need that extra range with the wider lens? Or will 24 cover it?
I would definitely bring your widest lens.
FancyKetchup14
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Question for Guitarsoup or anyone else who's used 'em both:

I've got the chance to buy a used Nikon 24-70 F/2.8E VR for a couple hundred over the price of a new Tamron G2. Is the Nikkor lens really that much better than the Tamron? From the reviews I've seen, not so much in terms of center sharpness, maybe outer edge sharpness, and focus speed are the big benefits. Does that jive with your experience?

I'm replacing my 15 year old non-VR Tamron 28-75.
dubi
AG
I have a Tamron 24-70 G2 Ef mount and it is wonderful. 6 year warranty.
agracer
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Question for Guitarsoup or anyone else who's used 'em both:

I've got the chance to buy a used Nikon 24-70 F/2.8E VR for a couple hundred over the price of a new Tamron G2. Is the Nikkor lens really that much better than the Tamron? From the reviews I've seen, not so much in terms of center sharpness, maybe outer edge sharpness, and focus speed are the big benefits. Does that jive with your experience?

I'm replacing my 15 year old non-VR Tamron 28-75.
For a $1,200 lens (Tamron) I'd spend the extra $200 and get the Nikon. This is assuming it's in good shape and you trust the seller.
Civen
AG
I'm looking for a strap that I can use cross shoulder and have my lens point down. I want to be able to walk around with it while on vacation without sticking too far out and being uncomfortable. What are folks around here using?
Guitarsoup
AG
I doubt most people can tell the quality difference from Tamron to Nikon. The Nikon will likely focus quicker and more accurately. That may or may not be noticeable.
Guitarsoup
AG
Civen said:

I'm looking for a strap that I can use cross shoulder and have my lens point down. I want to be able to walk around with it while on vacation without sticking too far out and being uncomfortable. What are folks around here using?
https://amzn.to/3spiCgU

Tried and True. Black Rapid sling.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I really like my Peak Design strap.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Tried and True. Black Rapid sling.
We have 2 sets of the Black Rapid double sling. So if you have more than 1 camera body, consider getting the double. I can be taken apart and used as a single.

Single

Double

Double slim I prefer this one because it is cooler.
BMo
Maximus_Meridius said:

I really like my Peak Design strap.
I switched from Black Rapid to Peak Design and much better for my needs. BR would never respond to customer service emails.
labmansid
I had a Black Rapid for a while and had no complaints. Then I heard about the Peak Design and gave them a shot. I like it better. The quick release attachment system is really nice.
Civen
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like two main brands to pick from. The quick connect looks useful... how secure does it feel in use? There's something nice about a solid carabiner.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Very secure. I've had zero concerns with mine. I also use their quick clip that mounts the camera to my backpack strap when hiking and I've enjoyed that, too.
Engine10
AG
Got a friend to lend me his mirrorless and a 24-70 for our trip to Hawaii next week. Gonna do lots of hiking, Pearl Harbor, etc. Can't wait!
FancyKetchup14
AG
Engine10 said:

Got a friend to lend me his mirrorless and a 24-70 for our trip to Hawaii next week. Gonna do lots of hiking, Pearl Harbor, etc. Can't wait!

Holy sh*t! Trustful friend to lend you his GM! That's a sweet lens. I have the sigma 24-70 art version of that lens and it's so nice.
Engine10
AG
I've seen his results w this combo and pretty excited. Not my first rodeo but will definitely be extra cautious w the GM. Had to offer some bourbon collateral but I think we'll be alright
k20dub
AG
Just don't get sand in it. Like I did mine.
BMo
Engine10 said:

Excellent! Never shot an a6300 but did have an a6400 for a while and it was a great little camera. That is a stellar lens to take. You and your friend must be very close.
Engine10
AG
I really like that 6300 - it's got it's downsides but I've had good experience w/the battery life and as long as the card is fast enough, no issues shooting either. We've used this same combo once before but the results were amazing.
FTAG 2000
AG
What about a dry box for camera and lens storage?

Eyeing this from Adorama.

https://www.adorama.com/sledc195hs.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYnU397n9wIV_T6tBh33KAENEAQYBCABEgJU1vD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYnU397n9wIV_T6tBh33KAENEAQYBCABEgJU1vD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p-pi

BMo
Is this for your home? I keep my equipment in a bag when not in use but the bag isn't shut tight so the indoor environment keeps them from any harm. Mine are constantly used as well.
labmansid
Do you live in a particularly humid environment, like in a jungle? Most homes/businesses with standard A/C systems usually keep the humidity at a tolerable level unless the outside environment is really sopping wet. Or unless you live in a desert and use evaporative cooling. Just asking because as far as I know I have never had an issue with fungus growing inside my equipment. I could also see a need for one of those if one often shoots in wet or rainy conditions. That cabinet does look like it does a good job if it truly is needed.
Civen
AG
Ok, I need another opinion.
For an all-around family/vacation lens, would you pick:

24-120/f4
24-200/f4-6.3

I currently have the 24-70/f4, and would sell that if I got the 120.
But I'm leaning towards the 200, since it's a bit smaller & lighter which will be easier to carry around. The extra reach seems like it'd be nice, and for non-staged photos I'm not usually wide open to give more leeway for DOF
dubi
AG
Civen said:

Ok, I need another opinion.
For an all-around family/vacation lens, would you pick:

24-120/f4
24-200/f4-6.3

I currently have the 24-70/f4, and would sell that if I got the 120.
But I'm leaning towards the 200, since it's a bit smaller & lighter which will be easier to carry around. The extra reach seems like it'd be nice, and for non-staged photos I'm not usually wide open to give more leeway for DOF

24-200 will be a worse at low light. But daylight or flash will solve that problem for a family lens.
Raptor
AG
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/1557b/d5-refurbished.html

What am I missing here? A Nikon D5 XQD is $6500 new. Currently, they are out of stock at Nikon.com.

Now Nikon has refurbished ones for $1995. What's the catch?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Guitarsoup
AG
Raptor said:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/1557b/d5-refurbished.html

What am I missing here? A Nikon D5 XQD is $6500 new. Currently, they are out of stock at Nikon.com.

Now Nikon has refurbished ones for $1995. What's the catch?
D5 has been replaced by the D6 and Z9.
Raptor
AG
Is a refurbed D5 worth $1995?

Guitarsoup
AG
Raptor said:

Is a refurbed D5 worth $1995?
Absolutely

Get the dual XQD
Raptor
AG
My new (to me) D5 XQD Just arrived today. Excited to take it out for a test run this weekend.

FTAG 2000
AG
BMo said:

Is this for your home? I keep my equipment in a bag when not in use but the bag isn't shut tight so the indoor environment keeps them from any harm. Mine are constantly used as well.

Thanks. Yeah, live in north DFW. Wife is bugging me to get something nicer than camera bags and bins for storage. I'm good with shelving and putting everything up that way.

Started looking around and found this climate controlled case thing, was determining if worth it.
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.