Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,211 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thriller said:

I'm planning on diving into some nicer equipment to shoot outdoor sports, landscape, and wildlife. After reading through much of this thread, my plan is currently:

Camera body: Nikon D500, body only
1st lens - Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

I want to use this to shoot video as well (hitting and pitching) to upload photos and video for our juniors and seniors that are going through the baseball recruiting process. Will this setup work to get good photos and decent-to-good video at the plate and on the mound?

My 4rd son plays lacrosse and I'm assuming I will want something to reach a bit further (think soccer/football sized fields). Is a 200-500mm the next step here?

Also, if I'm just buying the body and lens, what else should I be looking to get in terms of must-have (and would be nice) accessories?

Last question - any suggestions on online courses that will broaden my knowledge base? Udemy, a good YT series, etc?

:Thanks for this thread - I'm learning a ton.
I have a D500, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8, and Nikon 200-500mm 5.6.

The 200-500mm is awesome for outdoor football and soccer during the day, and (depending on the lighting) very serviceable for night games. With a monopod/tripod, it works wonders even in lowlight.

The 70-200mm is my everything lens. Landscapes, wild animals, sporting events, indoors or outdoors. I could not function without this lens.

The 24-70mm lens is more for my team or close up shots. It does the job time and time again.

The D500 (which replaced my D5600) is quite the workhorse. 10 FPS and it will only get "hung up" if the memory card is slow or if I hold down the button for more than 20 seconds. (Only did this twice during post game celebrations and one bench clearing brawl).

I shoot youth, middle, and high school sports, as well as Semi-Pro basketball and special events. I keep the D5600 in my bag as a backup, but I'm hoping to get another D500 body or a D850 soon.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

k20dub
AG
Had a shoot in Galveston on Saturday when it was super windy. Made the mistake of setting my secondary camera down on a jacket while the wind was blowing sand everywhere. Needless to say, my 24-70 Sony GM Lens got a lot of sand on it. Best tips for cleaning it or where do y'all take your cameras in for cleaning in Houston?
BMo
k20dub said:

Had a shoot in Galveston on Saturday when it was super windy. Made the mistake of setting my secondary camera down on a jacket while the wind was blowing sand everywhere. Needless to say, my 24-70 Sony GM Lens got a lot of sand on it. Best tips for cleaning it or where do y'all take your cameras in for cleaning in Houston?
The OP of this thread recommended a place on Richmond in Houston that is called Professional Camera Repair. They did a great job for me on my Sony a9 body. 7136213627
tk for tu juan
Wasn't expecting a stacked CMOS sensor for the latest micro4/3 camera from the company formerly known as Olympus.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/om-system-om-1-initial-review
BMo
tk for tu juan said:

Wasn't expecting a stacked CMOS sensor for the latest micro4/3 camera from the company formerly known as Olympus.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/om-system-om-1-initial-review
Interesting. I didn't realize Olympus has sold the camera business. I shot Olympus film and then digital when I started shooting that.
BMo
I have a Sony a7R3, 42-megapixel camera body for sale. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will give you the details. I'm not listing it in the Classifieds this time.
BMo
Camera is sold but wanted to give an alert to this Sony lens for sale at Fred Miranda. If anyone is interested and will do a local BCS pickup we can talk price. Thanks for taking a look.

Sony FE 100-400 lens for sale

Sony lens photos

Message can be sent through the photo website.

Photos taken with lens recently

dubi
AG
Beautiful eagle photos!
BMo
dubi said:

Beautiful eagle photos!
Thank you. You likely saw them on FB too.

The lens does a good job.
BMo
Never thought I would and sold some other equipment to buy it but I have a Sony A1 being delivered this weekend. Really looking forward to this body on the back of the 200-600 lens.
bthotugigem05
AG
I love my A1!
labmansid
bthotugigem05 said:

I love my A1!
I prefer Heinz 57.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

I love my A1!
Really looking forward to using it.
BMo
labmansid said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I love my A1!
I prefer Heinz 57.
LOL, Sid. Hope y'all are getting settled.

Taking it to the annual RV trek at Brazos Bend very soon. Was hoping to have it before going. Take care.
labmansid
Thanks, Bill. We're getting there. Had our stuff unloaded last night, now just need to put it all away. I'm gonna miss camping out at Brazos Bend.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

I love my A1!
The camera is a game-changer and I have really only used it one day. Sold two other bodies but kept my original a9. Now I wonder if I will use it at all. Maybe should have kept the a7R3 instead.
whoop1995
AG
Don't know if this has been asked but I have some old rolls of film that have never been developed from 1995 - is there anyone who still does this commercially?

Edit I am in the Houston area.
clobby
AG
Looking for mirrorless camera recommendations. Photos will be mostly of the baby and birds. TIA
Guitarsoup
AG
clobby said:

Looking for mirrorless camera recommendations. Photos will be mostly of the baby and birds. TIA
Depends on your budget, really.

Remember, lenses are uch more expensive than the camera overall. Baby and Birds will demand different lenses.

Nikon's 200-500 f5.6 is one of the leading birder lenses right now. So a Nikon Z6 would be the camera to put to that.
javajaws
AG
clobby said:

Birds as in...you want a camera to occasionally take some pics of birds in the backyard? Or birds as in...you want to buy something specifically to take bird photos as a hobby (and plan to invest in the glass to do so - which may be more than the camera)?

Regardless, there is nothing so far in your requirement that screams "I need full frame" to me. You get more focal length for your money with a crop sensor camera - which could make birding more affordable if that is a concern for you. Crop sensor lenses are also generally smaller/lighter - might be a help when carrying around a bunch of stuff with baby.

I converted to Fuji APS-C from Canon full frame several years ago and don't regret it. I love how their cameras operate and love their lenses. I like the smaller and lighter size of everything as well.

I can't personally make a recommendation for you though as I think there are too many questions any given person should ask (and find answers for) before committing to any system.
clobby
AG
Well just went to Best Buy to look at a few models. Bird photos might be a bit ambitious. The cameras main purpose is for baby/family, I just wanted the option to get some ok bird pictures. Budget is ~2k with a lens included. The full size mirror less might be a bit big for lugging around.
labmansid
clobby said:

Well just went to Best Buy to look at a few models. Bird photos might be a bit ambitious. The cameras main purpose is for baby/family, I just wanted the option to get some ok bird pictures. Budget is ~2k with a lens included. The full size mirror less might be a bit big for lugging around.
As mentioned already, your budget will be a major factor in this decision. For babies, I would imagine most basic cameras would do pretty good for that along with a decent kit lens, at least starting out.

For birds, and I can speak from experience here, that will require more specialized, and hence, expensive gear for really good photos. 2k isn't much to work with unless you go for an ultrazoom point and shoot type camera. I know lots of people that do pretty well with one of those.
clobby
AG
Thoughts on the Sony Alpha 7c vs Fujifilm XT-4
littlebitofhifi
AG
I use both a Canon m6 mark II and a Fuji xe4. Both would be good small/light choices for you although between the two, I'd go m6 for family pics as I find it has better autofocus and eye tracking than the Fuji. Skip the kit lens and get the 22mm pancake for a near pocketable camera and the 32mm for portraits.
javajaws
AG
The 18-55 kit lens on the Fuji x-t4 is actually pretty good for a starter lens. I'd suggest that, then when you have the funds expand your lens kit with a longer zoom and a faster prime. On the zoom front the 50-140 is probably the best all around tele-zoom. I'd suggest that then a tele converter to reach out a little extra for some birds/wildlife photos. On the faster prime front...so many good Fuji options. Just figure out what focal length you like best then go for the best/fastest glass you can afford. Fuji has multiple versions in the most popular focal lengths - some faster than others, some lighter than others. Fast glass makes kid photos a joy.

If funds are really tight - don't discount the x-t3 either. Can save you $600 over the t4. Biggest difference is no built in stabilization. But that isn't the end of the world...I still use the x-t3 (plan on skipping the t4 for the next gen).
BMo
clobby said:

Thoughts on the Sony Alpha 7c vs Fujifilm XT-4
I switched from Canon to Sony four years ago now so that is what I'll talk about. We are normally brand loyal to what we know and use. Based on budget and use, look at the a6400 or a6600, both crop sensors. I have owned the first and really liked it. It was created with vloggers in mind and also does excellent video. The pre-AF helps keep things in focus for video. The a6600 uses the same battery as the newer full frames so it would have been more convenient for me but at a higher cost. I bought the Sony E70-350 to use on it which in 35mm terms equated to 525mm on the long end. A short lens can be added for the family shots. If you're not opposed to used, look over at Fred Miranda. That is a pretty reliable source.

Good luck with what you decide.

a6400 with E70-350, sitting on a 8.5 x 11 booklet

Shot with the a6400, different lens however

This video was shot with the a6400, different lense

Shot with the a6400 and the E70-350

clobby
AG
Wow those are some great photos! I ended up going with the Fujifilm because the Sony 6600 and A7c were both cut from production and I wasn't able to find them new.
bthotugigem05
AG
I would've suggested the a6100 as well, still being produced and is very budget-friendly.
BMo
clobby said:

Wow those are some great photos! I ended up going with the Fujifilm because the Sony 6600 and A7c were both cut from production and I wasn't able to find them new.
Thanks. The a6600 is still in production. Maybe you're thinking of the a6500 which was cut. Enjoy the Fujifilm.
clobby
AG
[url] https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dpreview.com/news/9058168882/sony-no-longer-taking-orders-for-a7c-a6600-confirms-a7-ii-and-a6100-have-reached-end-of-life.amp[/url] citing the chip shortage
BMo
That's interesting. The article leads one to believe it is temporary. B&H is still stocking them. Thanks for the update as an FYI. Not looking to buy one but will leave it out of discussions going forth.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Anyone here been to Iceland in summer? If so, what lenses do you recommend? (Let's say you could only take three)
Guitarsoup
AG

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/25/packed-shoot-landscapes-iceland/amp/

The cameras are a little out dates, but I really wish I had a 14-24 with a great filter set with NDs and all that fancy stuff.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for just now getting back to this. So you found the 70-200 handy?
k20dub
AG
Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the Aggie Network Google Drive one, but what cloud backup service do y'all recommend? Seems like Backblaze is the cheapest at $7/month, but it seems like you have to plug in your hard drives every 30 days...no thanks. Dropbox unlimited storage is $60/month. A little steeper compared to what I'm currently paying with free storage on Google Drive. Thoughts? I have probably 10 TB of footage and photos that I need backed up.
First Page Last Page
Page 93 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.