Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,964 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're on your own. No idea, but DJI is probably the right way to go.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Looking to control off-camera flash better than I do right now.

I currently have a D500, an SB700 flash, and 1 monolight. I control these off camera with a couple of cheapo yongnuo radio triggers to trigger the SB700 and the monolight as a slave. Looking to add another flash or two just because it's more convenient. But I want to be able to control the power on the flashes without having to walk to each one and manually adjust it. I thought I could do this in-camera if I used Nikon flashes, but my D500 and SB700 either don't play nice together or something is wrong. Anyway, those cheaper triggers are starting to wear out and become unreliable anyway so it's time to change. And the different options are honestly just overwhelming.

Would the below work here? I don't know anything about Godox, but it seems to be mid-level quality stuff. I could get a couple of their flashes and be able to control with their camera mounted trigger? I'm not a pro. This is a hobby so I don't need pro-level stuff. Taking pictures of family, kids, etc. I shoot local high school sports mostly, but this stuff is for portraits.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1374545-REG/godox_tt685n_thinklite_ttl_flash.html

Was kinda hoping I could just get some pocket wizards, but to control the power it's pretty expensive I think. Was looking at the Flex and Mini for pocketwizard as it does TTL, but I don't really use TTL that much. I prefer to manually control the lights.

And I don't know why Nikon didn't put a sync port on the SB700, that's just annoying.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Dang. Guess I killed this thread with my last question. Guess I'll try one more time. Looking for a wide-angle lens to pair with a D500. Narrowed it down to the Tokina 11-16 2.8 or the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5. I'm not sure I need the constant 2.8 on a wide angle. I'll primarily be using this for landscapes and will likely be stopped down some anyway. That rare time I'd need 2.8 I'm actually pretty pleased with the performance of the D500 so I could bump the ISO. Also the Tamron has vibration compensation, plus the wider focal range. And I've been really pleased with my 70-200 2.8 from Tamron.

Anybody used both of these lenses? I rented a previous version of the Tokina and liked it ok.
Mr. Dubi
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Dang. Guess I killed this thread with my last question. Guess I'll try one more time. Looking for a wide-angle lens to pair with a D500. Narrowed it down to the Tokina 11-16 2.8 or the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5. I'm not sure I need the constant 2.8 on a wide angle. I'll primarily be using this for landscapes and will likely be stopped down some anyway. That rare time I'd need 2.8 I'm actually pretty pleased with the performance of the D500 so I could bump the ISO. Also the Tamron has vibration compensation, plus the wider focal range. And I've been really pleased with my 70-200 2.8 from Tamron.

Anybody used both of these lenses? I rented a previous version of the Tokina and liked it ok.
/dubi here

I'll unbreak this thread! Tokina 11-16 2.8

You want 2.8 for any astrophotography.

Guitarsoup
AG
That Godox will do what you want. I have a bunch of their things and they are noticeably cheaper feeling than Nikon's stuff, but they work well.

Get the Tokina 11-16.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thanks, y'all.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Mostly just an FYI, as I don't think anyone here (except maybe 'Soup) would actually buy one, but Nikon announced the Z9 today.

45.7 MP
30 fps stills at full resolution,120 fps stills at reduced 11 MP resolution
8k video
4 axis tilting touchscreen

Looks like a dandy of a camera. I'll never own one (unless it's 10 years from now used). $5500.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'll probably get one at some point, but not in 2021. It looks pretty fantastic.
BMo
Answering the Sony A1 but 1K less money.
Guitarsoup
AG
Big thing is this:

Sony A1 vs Canon R3 vs Nikon Z9

MP
50 mp vs 24 mp vs 45 mp

Min ISO

50 vs 50 vs 32

Viewfinder magnification

.9x vs .76x vs .8x

Min shutter speed:

30s vs 30s vs 900s

Max shutter speed
1/8000th vs 1/8000th vs 1/32000th

Sync Speed
1/400th vs 1/250th vs 1/200th

8k Video:

8k30p vs none vs 8k/30p

Price:
$6500 vs $6000 vs $5500

All can do 30fps and all have a ton of AF points. Canon has the most AF points and the highest screen resolution.

I know the Sony has great focus tracking, so will be interested to see how the new Nikon system does. continuous focus tracking was my biggest problem with the Nikon Z6.
Guppy91
AG
Guitarsoup said:

You're on your own. No idea, but DJI is probably the right way to go.

Ronin RS-2. Must say, fantastic work on the monkey business. Oh my gracious!

Guppy91
AG
Dp. May as well explain what's on top of the Ronin RS-2!:

Canon 5DmIV with Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. Got all into balance with a counterweight kit (2nd image above). However, I'm itching to get a longer focal length lens out to the Total Solar Eclipse of 12/4/21. -> Just ordered a used Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Turns out the two lenses are almost the same length when extended. Weight difference is about 500g.

Both Canon zoom lenses are physically much shorter when compared to my Williams Optics prime APOs (360mm and 430mm focal lengths at f5.9). When the WOs are extended for focus, there is no practical way to counterbalance the gimbal without the camera body striking the rig (way too front heavy). Sucks as I had great success with those two lenses.

Once again, using Eclipse Orchestrator scripting software on a 5v pocket PC. Uses n3 shutter release and custom usb to serial connection to eliminate trigger lag. Hope to be recommending this software or Eclipse Maestro (mac) for the TSE of 4/8/2024 here in Texas unless a better imaging assistant comes along! Look forward to helping folks: "Watch the eclipse, not your gear."

Getting excited to see Antarctica and hope to get some fantastic shots of the life and ice!
Max06
AG
I'm casually looking for a second Canon camera body. I have a T6i and would be happy with another of the same I just don't want to buy new and have duplicate lenses. I have zero desire to do any kind of precessional photography so I don't really feel the need to make to big of a leap to higher tier cameras unless it's just the right deal at the right time.

Also looking for an into level Speedlite/off-camera flash.
Guitarsoup
AG
Max06 said:

I'm casually looking for a second Canon camera body. I have a T6i and would be happy with another of the same I just don't want to buy new and have duplicate lenses. I have zero desire to do any kind of precessional photography so I don't really feel the need to make to big of a leap to higher tier cameras unless it's just the right deal at the right time.

Also looking for an into level Speedlite/off-camera flash.
What do you want to spend
What do you mainly like to take pictures of
How is your T6i not enough for your needs
Max06
AG
T6i is adequate, I'm looking to add a second body so I don't have to swap between lenses on the fly.

I take photos mostly of landscapes and wildlife.

I'd like to to stay under $500ish. I just know I don't need to of the line anything to do what I'm doing.

Edit to add: flash would be for the few occasions when I take family photos, indoors and outdoors. I have essentially zero experience with external flash so I am looking for something to learn with.

Guitarsoup
AG
Used 7D Mark II is probably the way to go for wildlife stuff unless you need better low-light capabilities.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-20-2-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html

If you need better low-light capabilities, go with a used 6D or whatever 5D version fits your budget. But these are full-frame cameras, so your EF-S lenses won't work and you won't get the crop sensor benefit for far away stuff.

For flash, I would get Godox stuff. Rebranded Flashpoint at Adorama. Make sure you get the Canon version.

To learn how to use flashes, go to Strobist.com
Max06
AG
That Strobist site is exactly what I needed. Thanks!!
labmansid
Guitarsoup said:

Used 7D Mark II is probably the way to go for wildlife stuff unless you need better low-light capabilities.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-20-2-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html

If you need better low-light capabilities, go with a used 6D or whatever 5D version fits your budget. But these are full-frame cameras, so your EF-S lenses won't work and you won't get the crop sensor benefit for far away stuff.

Hmmmm..... It just so happens I have both of those cameras on hand. And I have been debating whether to keep one or both or sell them since I got my R5 last year.

Quote:

T6i is adequate, I'm looking to add a second body so I don't have to swap between lenses on the fly.

I take photos mostly of landscapes and wildlife.

I'd like to to stay under $500ish. I just know I don't need to of the line anything to do what I'm doing.
Sounds a lot like what I shoot. I used the 7D MKII for wildlife, which is mostly what I shoot, and got a 6D for shooting landscapes and low light like for indoor and Milky Way shots. When driving around places like Big Bend, I would usually have both cameras handy with appropriate lenses on them to avoid having to switch since you never know what might pop up in front of you. Since getting my R5, I haven't really used either one since it excels for both styles. If your landscape lenses will work on a full frame body, i.e. they are not EF-S as Soup mentioned above, the 6D would be a great camera for landscape and such use.
Max06
AG
I have a Canon 100-400 EF II, but that's my only EF lens and what stays on the body 95% of the time.

My lens collection isn't extensive but covers my capabilities fairly well for now. I'd eventually like to get a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, but that's quite a bit down the road.

What I've got:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM kit lens
tk for tu juan
https://m.dpreview.com/news/5606613666/nikon-announces-z-400mm-f2-8-tc-vr-s-sports-prime-lens

Quote:

In voice coil motors (VCMs), autofocus is driven using a powerful magnetic field. How powerful? Well, this is the first press release that we can remember seeing which warns against use of the product by anyone with a pacemaker.

Lensrental does not have the Z9 available to rent until after March, and it is $300 for 7 days. Look forward to seeing some of the photos from the Olympics with the production Z9 and this lens.
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/5606613666/nikon-announces-z-400mm-f2-8-tc-vr-s-sports-prime-lens

Quote:

In voice coil motors (VCMs), autofocus is driven using a powerful magnetic field. How powerful? Well, this is the first press release that we can remember seeing which warns against use of the product by anyone with a pacemaker.

Lensrental does not have the Z9 available to rent until after March, and it is $300 for 7 days. Look forward to seeing some of the photos from the Olympics with the production Z9 and this lens.
Andrew Hancock '02 has a couple of them and did some of the pre-production shots with it.

https://www.instagram.com/hancockphoto/
tk for tu juan
Definitely like Nikon's idea of providing the dedicated parallel stream to the viewfinder so there is not a loss in resolution or lag in what is being displayed. Do you know if the continuous shooting rate is adjustable so you can shoot at 10 or 15 fps instead of 20 fps with the electronic shutter? That is a nice feature on the Olympus E-M1 when you want to sort thru fewer images afterwards
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Definitely like Nikon's idea of providing the dedicated parallel stream to the viewfinder so there is not a loss in resolution or lag in what is being displayed. Do you know if the continuous shooting rate is adjustable so you can shoot at 10 or 15 fps instead of 20 fps with the electronic shutter? That is a nice feature on the Olympus E-M1 when you want to sort thru fewer images afterwards
I haven't used the newer ones like the Z9, but even the old DSLRs would let you change how many frames per second on Nikon.
russaggie
AG
Would any of you experts be willing to take a look at a collection of volleyball pics I took last weekend and provide some feedback? They were taken with a Z5 using a 70-200 lens. The venue was the Round Rock sports center which has spectators elevated above the courts. Thanks in advance for any input.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/f50caf572fe3489a9a1149e894b85bd6
tk for tu juan
BMo
Wow! It is likely insured if it belongs to a pro or so one would think. My next camera I hope.
labmansid
So did it win its event? And does "Finders Keepers" still apply?
javajaws
AG
If he would have used a longer lens he might have got some bigger air.

Score: 4.5 - he's not gonna make the semis.
Thriller
AG
I'm planning on diving into some nicer equipment to shoot outdoor sports, landscape, and wildlife. After reading through much of this thread, my plan is currently:

Camera body: Nikon D500, body only
1st lens - Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

I want to use this to shoot video as well (hitting and pitching) to upload photos and video for our juniors and seniors that are going through the baseball recruiting process. Will this setup work to get good photos and decent-to-good video at the plate and on the mound?

My 4rd son plays lacrosse and I'm assuming I will want something to reach a bit further (think soccer/football sized fields). Is a 200-500mm the next step here?

Also, if I'm just buying the body and lens, what else should I be looking to get in terms of must-have (and would be nice) accessories?

Last question - any suggestions on online courses that will broaden my knowledge base? Udemy, a good YT series, etc?

:Thanks for this thread - I'm learning a ton.
Mr. Dubi
Quote:

Also, if I'm just buying the body and lens, what else should I be looking to get in terms of must-have (and would be nice) accessories?

Dubi is banned again and can't post. Her suggestion is a cross-body harness so the weight is not on your neck.
labmansid
Thriller said:

I'm planning on diving into some nicer equipment to shoot outdoor sports, landscape, and wildlife. After reading through much of this thread, my plan is currently:

Camera body: Nikon D500, body only
1st lens - Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

I want to use this to shoot video as well (hitting and pitching) to upload photos and video for our juniors and seniors that are going through the baseball recruiting process. Will this setup work to get good photos and decent-to-good video at the plate and on the mound?

My 4rd son plays lacrosse and I'm assuming I will want something to reach a bit further (think soccer/football sized fields). Is a 200-500mm the next step here?

Last question - any suggestions on online courses that will broaden my knowledge base? Udemy, a good YT series, etc?

:Thanks for this thread - I'm learning a ton.
I am not really familiar with Nikon bodies being a Canon shooter, but I have heard the D500 is a great camera for sports and wildlife. The 200-500 lens you mentioned would be a great choice for a next lens for subjects further away.

As far as accessories, I would definitely say at least one extra battery is essential. A small bag might be handy for the extra things that you will likely accumulate, maybe something for later down the road. I have used a Lowepro Slingshot bag for a number of years and it has worked well. A good strap, as already mentioned, really helps. I use a Peak Design strap myself, and let it hang to the side instead of directly in front of me. I like that the strap itself can be easily detached from the camera for those times I don't want a strap dangling down.
BMo
I have shot this, Olympus>Canon>Sony (with a D500 mixed in) The D500 was a good camera but different menu setup from what I was used to with Canon and Sony. Make sure when you buy the 200-500 that you can return it if necessary. I bought one with the D500 and I had to return it. Just was a bad copy. Good luck and enjoy your Nikon gear.
BMo
Just posted a Sony camera body for sale in the classifieds.

Sony a9 body
Trench55
AG
I have an old (c 1999-2000) Nikon 35mm w/lenses that I haven't used in years. The outfit cost about $1,000 at the time. Is it worth anything these days. Actually, not sure if it still works after sitting in the closet all these years.
Thriller
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into picking those up.
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.