Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,234 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lensrental is my go to rental place. They have even sent it early when they didn't have a rental on a lens.

Edit: after typing this post I get an email from them about my 3rd anniversary with them.
OldArmyBrent
AG
If you're in Dallas, aperaturent.com is local so you can pick it up instead of dealing with shipping.
bthotugigem05
AG
I know the owners of Aperturent, great people and their pricing is very competitive. Most local camera shops offer rentals as well.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I have used them plenty of times. Very easy, even when I threw them for a loop by picking something up in person and shipping it back from somewhere else. Nice people working every time.
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

BMo said:

Does anyone use a local (Texas) camera repair company that you would recommend? I have a small part I need replaced and really don't want to send to the manufacturer's service if I can avoid it.

What's wrong and what camera?

Professional Camera Repair on Richmond in Houston is great, but there aren't any authorized repair places in Texas so no one gets parts from manufacturers.
He did a quote for the work a while back but we weren't able to hook up until this morning. Should have it back in a week. Thanks again for the recommendation.
rrtodds
AG
AZAG08..thanks for the suggestion of having the lens shipped directly to the travel location. We will be in Yellowstone in February 2022 (wolves, elk refuge, hopefully some winter geyser activity). I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 150-600 & the Sigma 150-600 lenses. I haul around a Canon f/2.8 70-200mm so guessing the additional pound or 2 of lens weight will be fine. I've rented from lensrentals.com before, & will use them again. Again..thanks for the suggestion to ship directly to Jackson Hole (will be flying home out of Bozeman, so will start looking into returning the lens from there).
BMo
rrtodds said:

AZAG08..thanks for the suggestion of having the lens shipped directly to the travel location. We will be in Yellowstone in February 2022 (wolves, elk refuge, hopefully some winter geyser activity). I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 150-600 & the Sigma 150-600 lenses. I haul around a Canon f/2.8 70-200mm so guessing the additional pound or 2 of lens weight will be fine. I've rented from lensrentals.com before, & will use them again. Again..thanks for the suggestion to ship directly to Jackson Hole (will be flying home out of Bozeman, so will start looking into returning the lens from there).
I owned both the Tamron and the Sigma using on a 7DmkII and both work well but my preference was the Tamron.
BMo
BMo said:

Guitarsoup said:

BMo said:

Does anyone use a local (Texas) camera repair company that you would recommend? I have a small part I need replaced and really don't want to send to the manufacturer's service if I can avoid it.

What's wrong and what camera?

Professional Camera Repair on Richmond in Houston is great, but there aren't any authorized repair places in Texas so no one gets parts from manufacturers.
He did a quote for the work a while back but we weren't able to hook up until this morning. Should have it back in a week. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Less than a week turnaround and excellent quality of work if anyone needs anything done to a camera.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Which memory card do y'all use for your DSLR camera?
Raptor
AG
https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-uhs-i-sd#SDSDXXY-064G-ANCIN
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

BMo
Primarily this one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1481585-REG/lexar_lsd64gcbna16672_sdhc_sdxc_1667x_uhs_2_64gb.html
k20dub
AG
Anyone have recommendations on a 3 light setup for flash? I have a connection at a local small school and was asked about doing their formal fall photos. The classic ones like this...

I don't plan on taking on school portraits all the time so I don't really want to drop $1,000 just for lights just for this one shoot... I suppose renting is an option?
Guitarsoup
AG
Renting is probably the way to go, but school pics is an extraordinarily terrible gig.
k20dub
AG
Yeah I really am hesitant to do this, but I've done school photos for this school in the past but they were just outside and informal so it was very easy. I know this will be a whole new ordeal.
Guitarsoup
AG
k20dub said:

Yeah I really am hesitant to do this, but I've done school photos for this school in the past but they were just outside and informal so it was very easy. I know this will be a whole new ordeal.
Background will be a pain. Easiest would be a roll of paper.

Probably want a stool for the kids to sit on.

Usually done with a 3-light set up and a reflector or 4th light for opposite side of the face.

I have all this stuff to do this type of thing, because I used to do a lot of corporate work where I would set up multiple looks. Even that is a huge pain in the ass.
k20dub
AG
I own two Godox v860ii's, could I pair those with the Godox AD400 Pro and some soft boxes and that would be my 3 lights? I ask about the AD400 as Photo Rental Source in Houston has that available.
Guitarsoup
AG
Texcam is probably the better resource.

You absolutely do not want to rely on speedlights for something like this. You want monoblocks that plug in.

Alternatively, I can give you the names of a couple studios that do this type of thing and are trustworthy.
dubi
AG
k20dub said:

Just say no!
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just wanted to say thanks to those that advised me to rent a tamron 150-600 lens for my Yellowstone trip. It was worth it!

Guitarsoup
AG
Very nice stuff. I look forward to going there someday.
BMo
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Just wanted to say thanks to those that advised me to rent a tamron 150-600 lens for my Yellowstone trip. It was worth it!

Excellent shots. Really like the owl.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Wow, you got to see a lot of wildlife! I've never seen wolves or the bull moose before. I was already itching for a trip to the Rockies, now I've really got the bug...

Excellent shots, too.
dubi
AG
Wow! Great photos!
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Thanks! Highly recommend, it was an amazing trip. It's such a beautiful place
rrtodds
AG
Did you pick up the rented lens after you got to YS …or did you travel with it. I'm hoping to be able to pick up a rented lens in Jackson after we get up there. Lens Rental has a FedEx preferred shipping location in Jackson not far from our hotel. We fly home from Bozeman. I haven't scouted a location there to return the lens yet.
dubi
AG
rrtodds said:

Did you pick up the rented lens after you got to YS …or did you travel with it. I'm hoping to be able to pick up a rented lens in Jackson after we get up there. Lens Rental has a FedEx preferred shipping location in Jackson not far from our hotel. We fly home from Bozeman. I haven't scouted a location there to return the lens yet.
You can use Walgreens for pickup or dropoff.
rrtodds
AG
Thanks for the Walgreens info..I didn't see that on their rental information. That makes it really easy to drop off before flying home.
dubi
AG
rrtodds said:

Thanks for the Walgreens info..I didn't see that on their rental information. That makes it really easy to drop off before flying home.

Any Fedex that requires a signature i have delivered to my local walgreens and that is so easy.
Jabin
You should go post those on the Outdoor Board. I think that everyone there would appreciate them a lot.
labmansid
Wow, those are awesome! Glad you had a great trip. I've been thinking we should take a trip up there soon, and these have really got me thinking.
Raptor
AG
Those are great pics. I have some pics of a recent trip to Alaska, and I'll share them once I figure out how to actually share them.

Raptor
AG
Some pics from my trip to Alaska (Anchorage, Homer, Soldotna, and Crescent Lake). Most of the animals were with my Nikon 200-500 F5.6 on a D500 body, or my Tamron 70-200 F 2.8.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
Beautiful. Alaska is on my list of places to see
Hittag1492
AG
What is the best way to get old 35mm and 110 film rolls processed currently? I am in BCS and wanted to know if anybody local still did that or what are my options? Any help greatly appreciated!
Guppy91
AG
Seeking gimbal advice. Anyone skilled in gimbal technology? I am a newbie and bought the DJI Ronin RS2 for a unique application (I'm not shooting live video while on foot; I'm shooting stills of an object [Total Solar Eclipse 12/4/21] from a pitching and rolling boat deck). Finally got the gimbal balanced and calibrated, so passed 101. Any tips would be great; a lot to learn here!
First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.