Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,211 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Bregxit
StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agracer said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Question for Guitarsoup or anyone else who's used 'em both:

I've got the chance to buy a used Nikon 24-70 F/2.8E VR for a couple hundred over the price of a new Tamron G2. Is the Nikkor lens really that much better than the Tamron? From the reviews I've seen, not so much in terms of center sharpness, maybe outer edge sharpness, and focus speed are the big benefits. Does that jive with your experience?

I'm replacing my 15 year old non-VR Tamron 28-75.
For a $1,200 lens (Tamron) I'd spend the extra $200 and get the Nikon. This is assuming it's in good shape and you trust the seller.

I agree. I nornally buy Nikkor lenses, but the reviews for the Tamron G2 was so strong I went with it on the 24-70. While it's a solid lens, the color rendering is so much better on the Nikkor. I know bot a big deal which you can take care of in post, but I like strength out of the camera. I would get the Nikkor if I was to do it over again.
merlin403
Guitarsoup:

My family is taking a 12-day Alaskan cruise at the end of June. I am contemplating renting the following from Aperturent in Dallas and would appreciate any recommendations.

Camera body:
Nikon D780 (I'm not interested in video capture)

Camera lens (debating between the following):
Nikon AF-S 200-500 f/5.6E ED VR
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC G2 (Nikon)
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS Sports (Nikon)

Ideally, I would like to rent:
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II AF-S

but it's a little outside my price range for a 2-week trip.

Of the three lenses listed above is there one that you suggest?

Thanks!

Raptor
AG
(I'm not guitarsoup)

Went to Alaska in August '22 and I took a D500 with a Nikon 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200 2.8, and a Nikon 200-500 5.6 and it was plenty for landscapes and animals. We were in Anchorage and Homer, and then we flew to a section of Crescent Lake.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HXBGvDw

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Guitarsoup
AG
merlin403 said:

Guitarsoup:

My family is taking a 12-day Alaskan cruise at the end of June. I am contemplating renting the following from Aperturent in Dallas and would appreciate any recommendations.

Camera body:

Thanks!

I would do the 200-500 over the 200-400 just because of the weight savings. You probably won't be shooting low light.

I would also consider something in the 24-70 range as well.
labmansid
Guitarsoup said:

merlin403 said:

Guitarsoup:

Camera body:

Thanks!

I would do the 200-500 over the 200-400 just because of the weight savings. You probably won't be shooting low light.

I would also consider something in the 24-70 range as well.
I second what GS says. The Nikon 200-500 will have better AF performance and picture quality than the Tamron and Sigma, and a bit more reach than the 200-400. I would also really think about getting a 1.4X teleconverter as well to pair with it for wildlife shooting.

A wide to normal zoom is pretty much essential for Alaska. There are so many incredible landscape possibilities there you won't want to cheap out on. You could use your phone for that, but I wouldn't if possible.
Seven Costanza
AG
What's the best place to sell used lenses?
Guitarsoup
AG
Seven Costanza said:

What's the best place to sell used lenses?
FredMiranda. Facebook/Craigslist can be hit or miss.

If you want to sell to a company, go to KEH.com
BMo
You could try mpb.com also. Someone in this thread recommended them to me several years ago and I have both sold and bought from them.
Koko Chingo
AG
---- I have no idea why I made a Suddenlink post here ---- deleted
Guitarsoup
AG
Just a GoPro on a stick, but here's my 7yo snorkeling with me, and we saw a few sharks.

MBAR
AG
Finally picked up a D850. Should get here in the next couple of days. Even ~5 years after it was released still don't think you can beat it unless you're willing to shell out >4k.
bthotugigem05
AG
Happy 15th birthday to the iPhone, the most popular camera model of all time.
StinkyPinky
AG
MBAR said:

Finally picked up a D850. Should get here in the next couple of days. Even ~5 years after it was released still don't think you can beat it unless you're willing to shell out >4k.
1000% agree
StinkyPinky
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

My biggest fear is when they make RAW for Iphone and Editor. Yes, Light Room can be used on an Iphone, but not intuitive enough yet for normal use. Can you imagine how many dial pushers that will come out of the woodworks? Creativity will give way to visual nirvana.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bonzer103 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

My biggest fear is when they make RAW for Iphone and Editor. Yes, Light Room can be used on an Iphone, but not intuitive enough yet for normal use. Can you imagine how many dial pushers that will come out of the woodworks? Creativity will give way to visual nirvana.
Google Pixel has had RAW for a long time. Not gonna change a thing.
UmustBKidding
So no more nikon dslr's. Not sure what this does to used market and 3rd parties
Jabin
UmustBKidding said:

Huh? Link for those of us not in the know?
bthotugigem05
AG
Canon has said the same.
Raptor
AG
UmustBKidding said:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/07/nikon-will-reportedly-join-canon-in-ending-development-on-high-end-dslr-cameras/?amp=1
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm done recommending KEH and I won't buy from them anymore. I sent a bunch of gear to them to buy and their final buy price was half of what they quoted me. I was like, seriously, so I called them. Their explanation had SOME basis in fact, but the problem was that they graded my equipment lower than it should have been AND they had no grade to select in the quote. I had forgotten they had an "Ugly" category.

Two of my items, which should have been no less than Excellent, were graded Bargain. They said the lens had clouding (I didn't see any) and an old SLR had an issue (worked fine before it was sent). Neither had much of a price difference, but the problem is I now don't trust them. It isn't a money thing as much as had I known I was going to get gipped I would have donated everything and saved the trouble of packing and shipping. The only reason I sent all that stuff was the quote was higher than I thought it would be and I wanted to get something off FB marketplace that I really didn't need.

Not a huge deal, but once they have your gear, its like, "yeah, I guess you can send it back but then what?" That takes a few days, and you said there was stuff wrong with it that I didn't know was there. How do I prove shipping damage (if that was it)? I mean, I guess I can't swear it was in the condition I thought it was in, but why would I go to all this trouble (*****ing) over this little money. I've been dealing with KEH going on 25 years. But they were flat out dishonest in this transaction.

Oh, well. Deal with this info as you wish.
Seven Costanza
AG
I recently sent some stuff to KEH and they offered me 30% of what they quoted. I wanted to reject it just on principle, but decided to go ahead and take it because the goal was just to get rid of stuff that I don't use anymore and I didn't want to mess with it. I will never recommend them to anyone.
labmansid
Yeah KEH pretty much soured me with their rep a few years ago. They had an event at Houston Camera Exchange, and I loaded up a bunch of gear I wasn't using anymore. I knew the stuff was a bit outdated of course, but they literally offered just a few dollars for items I knew that would go for at least a hundred bucks on the open market. I think I took maybe one of their offers for something pretty cheap, and brought the rest home. I would rather just throw it away than have them rip me off. I think they take advantage of people who send their stuff in and lowball them once it's there knowing a lot will not think it worth the trouble of getting it back.

That said, I am probably about to give MPB a try with some Canon EF gear I don't really use since going mirrorless. I have heard some pretty good reviews of them, so fingers crossed.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pretty much every commercial reseller lowballs the gear. I try to sell everything through Marketplace or other P2P classified.

When buying used gear, I still trust KEH to deliver better than expected.
Seven Costanza
AG
I wouldn't care if they lowballed it. That is to be expected. But don't quote me a price that is 20% of the expected resell value, then offer 30% of that quote after I send it in.
BMo
labmansid said:

Yeah KEH pretty much soured me with their rep a few years ago. They had an event at Houston Camera Exchange, and I loaded up a bunch of gear I wasn't using anymore. I knew the stuff was a bit outdated of course, but they literally offered just a few dollars for items I knew that would go for at least a hundred bucks on the open market. I think I took maybe one of their offers for something pretty cheap, and brought the rest home. I would rather just throw it away than have them rip me off. I think they take advantage of people who send their stuff in and lowball them once it's there knowing a lot will not think it worth the trouble of getting it back.

That said, I am probably about to give MPB a try with some Canon EF gear I don't really use since going mirrorless. I have heard some pretty good reviews of them, so fingers crossed.
I have both bought and sold with MPB and have been happy with the results.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Instead of starting a new thread, what is your workflow for memory cards? Data transfer, deleting, reformatting, storing, etc.
BMo
I pull from the camera, place in a card reader and download using Lightroom , and format the card in the PC.
MBAR
AG
I always format in camera but I do what BMo said.
labmansid
I put the card in a reader and download to the appropriate file on hard drive. Then I import into Lightroom. I don't always edit photos immediately afterwards, so I don't use LR to import. Plus, I do have LR occasionally crash on me and don't want that happening during import. Then I put the card back into camera. Unless the card is close to full or I have a big shoot coming up, I don't usually format the card each time. When I do format the card, I do it in the camera.
marcel ledbetter
My old Canon D-5 is getting pretty dated. Most of my photography is travel/adventure in all weather conditions. In the near future, I'll be living in a very hot, semi-arid tropical environment. Even though it's older, I'm still happy with the full frame D 5, except it's bulky and heavy and the technology is dated. I've been looking at the micro 4/3 options as being a lot lighter, more compact, with less expensive lenses. The Oly M1 mk 3, being fairly weather proofed and with good overall reviews has caught my eye.

I'm not up to date on what the camera world has to offer so I'm open to suggestions. My main question is,what can I expect in a switch to the micro 4/3 from a full frame?

If there's a better option, I'm open for suggestions. The Oly is about at the top end of my budget for a camera body.

Guitarsoup
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

My old Canon D-5 is getting pretty dated. Most of my photography is travel/adventure in all weather conditions. In the near future, I'll be living in a very hot, semi-arid tropical environment. Even though it's older, I'm still happy with the full frame D 5, except it's bulky and heavy and the technology is dated. I've been looking at the micro 4/3 options as being a lot lighter, more compact, with less expensive lenses. The Oly M1 mk 3, being fairly weather proofed and with good overall reviews has caught my eye.

I'm not up to date on what the camera world has to offer so I'm open to suggestions. My main question is,what can I expect in a switch to the micro 4/3 from a full frame?

If there's a better option, I'm open for suggestions. The Oly is about at the top end of my budget for a camera body.

I would probably go Fuji over Olympus. Much more common, still small size.
javajaws
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

I initially tried that - going from Canon full frame to u43. I didn't care for the image quality of u43. I sold it quickly and went to Fuji X and have never regretted it since. Fuji has VERY nice lenses and great bodies and much lighter than full frame. The size difference between Fuji and u43 was not that much. It's more in the lenses than the bodies at that point and most of the u43 lenses are on the cheaper end build/quality wise. Having a body that is TOO small is actually not comfortable as well.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
marcel ledbetter
Thanks. That Fuji looks good. How are the aftermarket lenses for it? Which Fuji X did you buy?
javajaws
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

Thanks. That Fuji looks good. How are the aftermarket lenses for it? Which Fuji X did you buy?
x-t3. I'm opting to skip the x-t4 and will probably get an x-t5 when they come out next year. The x-h2/x-h2s sounds interesting but I'm not a big fan of PASM controls on Fuji. The only thing I wish my x-t3 had is IBIS (which the x-t4 has). Otherwise I see no reason to upgrade (for my needs).

I've only bought Fuji lenses so far (I've got a LOT). But I've seen a lot of third party announcements this last year so I know there are a bunch out there. There's a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 coming out end of year that looks pretty interesting.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
marcel ledbetter
That ext-4 looks really tempting. I'm still really liking that Oly m-III. Reading camera website reviews and message boards is like a dog chasing his tail in circles.

I liked a lot of features from both Fuji and Olympus. I think I'd use the Olympus more if I have it with me because it's more compact. I love the better weather proof rating it has. I also like the better image quality of the Fuji.

I also want a camera brand dedicated to the longevity of a system. I don't want to invest in one only to have the camera brand abandon it a coyote years later.

I'm fixing to make a decision and move forward. If I'm not happy, I'll sell out and start over.
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.