Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,043 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
UpstateAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe this is crazy, but I've been really enjoying the fuji xt-1. So much so, that I'm thinking of getting out of the sony a6000 and going fuji. Is this insane?
bthotugigem05
AG
Nope, the Fuji system is awesome. I'd recommend the XT3 though
Maximus_Meridius
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Didn't they just announce the XT4 with in-body IS?
AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

Shopping while bored is dangerous!

FedEx is delivering a Canon 100mm L f2.8 macro lens on Monday!

Really... U gonna do macro?

I use an old Canon FD MF lens
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

dubi said:

Shopping while bored is dangerous!

FedEx is delivering a Canon 100mm L f2.8 macro lens on Monday!

Really... U gonna do macro?

I use an old Canon FD MF lens

Too late. New lens is in my hands!

Macro and airplanes: quite the combo.
javajaws
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Didn't they just announce the XT4 with in-body IS?

Yes, available end of April
javajaws
AG
UpstateAg said:

Maybe this is crazy, but I've been really enjoying the fuji xt-1. So much so, that I'm thinking of getting out of the sony a6000 and going fuji. Is this insane?

Not at all. Fuji has some great glass and a good form factor.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Just a heads up, for those of you shooting Nikon or Canon and looking/needing a 70-200 f2.8, BH Photo has the Sigma Sports edition for $999 today only.

I might pull the trigger here if I can convince myself. I rented one last September for vacation and really liked it.
dubi
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Just a heads up, for those of you shooting Nikon or Canon and looking/needing a 70-200 f2.8, BH Photo has the Sigma Sports edition for $999 today only.

I might pull the trigger here if I can convince myself. I rented one last September for vacation and really liked it.
Dang that is a good price for that kind of lens. I have the Tamron version and use it heavily.

Do it! As my husband told me yesterday, "the world is ending so enjoy every day". He was just joking but their is a hint of truth in it.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I might. There are two things keeping me from pulling the trigger right now:

1- I can't decide between it and the Tamron. The Tamron is lighter, and the foot is removable (it's not on the Sigma). But the Sigma "feels" better made. Image quality and stabilization feels close enough to even that I can't tell the difference.

2- My wife and I are expecting our first in September and I'm freaking out a little bit with regards to money. I have enough in my "fun money" stash...but that's kinda turned into my SHTF money almost...

Nealthedestroyer
AG
I will soon have to start taking pictures of objects we sell or build. I have a 6 or so year old Nikon DSLR D3100 and wanted to set a workspace up to take good shots. Can i just throw a white sheet over a workbench and get some extra lights pointed at it?

Any recs for lighting? Also any camera setting advice or tutorials would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
Vae Victis
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Nealthedestroyer said:

I will soon have to start taking pictures of objects we sell or build. I have a 6 or so year old Nikon DSLR D3100 and wanted to set a workspace up to take good shots. Can i just throw a white sheet over a workbench and get some extra lights pointed at it?

Any recs for lighting? Also any camera setting advice or tutorials would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
How big are the products you're wanting to shoot? They actually make some really nice product shoot boxes that are collapsible. Yeah you'd want some extra light, but the boxes themselves are nice and give you a good solid background.
dubi
AG
Quote:

1- I can't decide between it and the Tamron. The Tamron is lighter, and the foot is removable (it's not on the Sigma). But the Sigma "feels" better made.
I dropped my Tamron from 6' onto concrete and I'm still using it with a few scratches. Let me assure you it is well made and durable.
MBAR
AG
I would buy that lens as that price seems great BUUUUUUUUUUUT I just bought a new 32 inch monitor for photo editing so yeah.
BMo
MBAR said:

I would buy that lens as that price seems great BUUUUUUUUUUUT I just bought a new 32 inch monitor for photo editing so yeah.
Did the same last year and couldn't be happier having the larger view.
BMo
dubi said:

Quote:

1- I can't decide between it and the Tamron. The Tamron is lighter, and the foot is removable (it's not on the Sigma). But the Sigma "feels" better made.
I dropped my Tamron from 6' onto concrete and I'm still using it with a few scratches. Let me assure you it is well made and durable.
I've never had a complaint about the quality of Tamron either. I currently have only one in Sony e mount but am waiting on the 70-180, 2.8 to be released by Tamron for the rare occasions I need that length.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Nealthedestroyer said:

Thanks.
How big are the products you're wanting to shoot? They actually make some really nice product shoot boxes that are collapsible. Yeah you'd want some extra light, but the boxes themselves are nice and give you a good solid background.
Between 3 and 5 feet long. Sometimes longer. Any links to the boxes?
Vae Victis
UpstateAg
AG
Anyone shooting with a6x00 series looking for some lenses? I've got the 50mm and a rokinon 12mm manual.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Nealthedestroyer said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Nealthedestroyer said:

Thanks.
Not that size. You might need to manufacture something.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Nealthedestroyer said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Nealthedestroyer said:

Thanks.
Not that size. You might need to manufacture something.
I think a white sheet or a piece of canvas background with good lighting might be my best route.
Vae Victis
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Google "Product Photography Lightbox." Look at the small versions that are already made to get an idea, and then there numerous youtube videos for DIY. The point of the box is the light bounces all around giving you very good exposure on the product itself. Your product is pretty large though, so maybe just a solid white background and a couple of large lights would get you some usable results.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Just in case anyone was wondering if I pulled the trigger...

hatchback
AG
I just picked up a lightly used Sony 35mm f1.8 lens on eBay for $515 + tax and shipping. I've been eyeing this lens ever since Sony announced it but the $750 retail price was a bit steep for my "starting out" budget.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/camera-lenses/sel35f18f

Downside is that it ships from a camera store in Minnesota and they're closed until the state opens up "non-essential" businesses. At the earliest, that should be end of next week.
Raptor
AG
Is this worth the money??

https://creative-deals.com/products/of-all-shop-bundle

LR 1080+ presets for $43
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

MBAR
AG
I don't use presets. I'm not sure if others do, but at best I sometimes copy settings from another photo in the same set to start on another, but I usually I just do it from scratch. I'm sure if I was a wedding photog I'd use them, though. Or something where I had to do hundreds of photos in a short amount of time.
labmansid
I use presets all the time.I even generally import a group of photos with a preset in place. Then I may tweak it for each photo I keep. I mostly make and save my own for certain situations. I don't think I have paid for any though. Often it seems like you can find a bundle online for free.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

I use presets all the time.I even generally import a group of photos with a preset in place. Then I may tweak it for each photo I keep. I mostly make and save my own for certain situations. I don't think I have paid for any though. Often it seems like you can find a bundle online for free.
+1

I use them on Lightroom import and have a different preset for each lens so I can get the profile correction.
Raptor
AG
I'm usually shooting middle school sports, so a ton of photos in very similar lighting conditions. I have some presets, but I don't really create and save them.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

MBAR
AG
I haven't been able to do much photography lately. I drove out to the Brazos river and took some Milky Way shots at 5 am a couple of weeks ago. But otherwise, zilch since January when I was out in Colorado.

I have, however, used the time to go back and reedit some photos. I've gotten so much better with both LR and Photoshop over the past couple of years so this has been a good opportunity to go back and find new gems in my old photos.

MBAR
AG
dubi said:

labmansid said:

+1

I use them on Lightroom import and have a different preset for each lens so I can get the profile correction.
Hmm, that might be a good idea. The first step in my WF is to apply the profile correction. A preset on import to automate that would be awesome.
dubi
AG
To clarify a bit further, I actually have 2 presets for each lens:

1) "High contrast and detail" with the lens correction.
2) HDR with lens correction.

Since I shoot 99% landscapes and airplanes, I typically import with the HDR preset.
TexasAggie_02
AG
nothing wrong with presets. It's buying presets that are kinda silly. You are paying money for something that is not really tangible. You are paying for someone else to move the sliders around in lightroom.

IMO, the photography market is so saturated nowadays, that a lot of photographers decided to make money selling presets and tutorials. Some of them are very good, some of them are crap. But i personally would not pay for presets.

I have some presets that i downloaded for free, and some that came with a tutorial i bought years ago. I think i only used one of the presets, b/c most of them looked ridiculous.

The free presets I got from matt kloskowski way back when he still worked for/with Scott Kelby. They are presets made to mimic the different Canon preview settings on the camera screen. If you shoot raw (which you should), you are still seeing an edited preview on your camera screen. If you import a raw photo into lightroom with no preset applied, it looks very different than it does on your camera screen. So i typically use that as a starting point for all of my edits.

In the end, it's your money, so whatever value you see in it is all that matters. I guess one benefit could be if you really paid attention to what the presets were doing. reverse engineer them, if you will. Don't use them like a quick instagram crutch, deconstruct what the preset is doing to your photos and learn from that.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I think presets have their place. Some people want their photos to look nice, but don't want to figure out how the software works or how to do it themselves.

For those people, paying for presets probably seems way better than learning it...or at least a good starting point until they decide they do want to learn it.

For anyone that actually wants to spend time in the editing or has specific things they want out of the process, you're obviously going to get more bang for your buck if you just invest time into learning it.

But I think they are 2 different markets - I doubt you have a lot of people buying presets AND wanting to dive way down into the details.
bthotugigem05
AG
I actually bought some the other day, it's a look I've never really cared to replicate in photoshop or Lightroom so I figured that would prevent me having to learn it for pictures where I need it
dubi
AG
I bought a 100 presets for $10 when I first got LR.

3 years later, I create my own. Hubby helped me create a "Brazos County Expo Center" preset to fix the white balance from the bad lighting.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.