Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,740 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue Duck said:

a7iii owner here...

I love my camera and don't have much bad to say about it at all. The lenses aren't cheap but they aren't crazy either. Tamron has released several that get good reviews in the last year or 2 and the native lenses are all solid. I don't regret buying mine at all.
Ditto. Use mine for video as well and it works amazingly for both.
BMo
Solid Sony user here. When switching from Canon to Sony, I used a Sigma MC-11 (EF to E-mount) adapter with good success to use my Canon lenses. It has worked better than the Metabones for some people at a nicer price. I now have either OEM or Tamron lenses that I use. My range is covered from 16mm to 600mm. Their lenses do run slightly higher than others but worth the money IMO.

As far as the menu system, it's no different than any other really. The basic main sections are similar to other manufacturers. I bought a Nikon D500 to use for a while last year until I could get a Sony crop body and I hated that menu system though the main sections were similar to the other guys.

Good luck with your decision.
ensign_beedrill
AG
A lot of sports venues do not allow fans to bring in large or professional cameras. I nearly was turned away once simply because my camera had a detachable lens.

I eventually want to get a lens with more zoom than I currently have (Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3), but it's all for naught if I can't bring it into the stadium. So, what is the best equipment, particularly zoom lens, that you can bring into a stadium without it being big/fancy enough to prompt security to turn you away?
bthotugigem05
AG
Sony RX100 VI, has the equivalent of 24-200mm in a small point-and-shoot.
BMo
I carried a Sony RX10 mkIV for awhile. 600mm on a 1" sensor iirc.

tk for tu juan
When new camera news is slow:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/0242227190/jif-teams-up-with-giphy-to-settled-the-soft-hard-g-gif-debate-with-limited-edition-jar-of-pb
txag2008
AG
So much clarity you can almost see the buzzer under Bregman's jersey.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Any thoughts on todays officially announced X-T4?

Seems like it has some nice additions to the X-T3, but it definitely is more in the price range of the A7iii....

Seems like a really strong camera.
bthotugigem05
AG
Great camera from Fuji at a wonderful price point.
dubi
AG
Do you use a gimbal for your big lens?
javajaws
AG
The X-T3 was (and still is) a really great camera. The X-T4's biggest changes seem to be IBIS and the fully articulated rear screen. Many other changes/upgrades of course but those are the biggest differences.

I'll probably eventually upgrade from my X-T3 to the T4. It's a tough call though as at times I like the rear screen on the T3 and other times I'd like the articulated screen of the T4.

I use mostly primes without stabilization (other than my 80mm macro with OIS) so getting IBIS would be great and is something I suspected would come to more Fuji cameras eventually.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
UpstateAg
AG
If you ever want to part with xt-3, let me know
BMo
dubi said:

Only if I'm using the tripod which since my move to Sony isn't very often.
dubi
AG
BMo said:

dubi said:

Brand and model?
BMo
dubi said:

BMo said:

dubi said:

Brand and model?
GKJRC Katana Junior Gimbal Head Telephoto Lens Side Mount Clamp

I never wanted a side mount but I really like this gimbal. Lightweight and handles the Sony well.

FancyKetchup14
AG
Recent lurker on this thread but I just saw Sony announced their Xperia 1. The camera on this phone is wild.
Sony Xperia 1
BMo
FancyKetchup14 said:

Recent lurker on this thread but I just saw Sony announced their Xperia 1. The camera on this phone is wild.
Sony Xperia 1
I may have to check this out later this year when I get a new one. I'm an android user.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I've managed to widen my choices rather than narrow them

I actually have a pre-order in place for the X-t4 and have been going back and forth between that and the A7iii, which are roughly the same price.

The more I look at both, however, the more I realize just how expensive lenses are. In both cases, I'd likely be stuck with the kit lens for a while as I can't afford either of those cameras plus a really good all around lens.....

Over the last few days, I've done more and more research and am thinking my best bet may be to pickup an A7ii or A7rii (possibly used) and use the savings to get a great lens for it (or even the X-T3 or even X-T2). I figure if I'm coming from a lightly used Canon 450D, I'm going to be flat out blown away by any of these. I mean sure, the A7iii has more focal points (or whatever the terminology is) than the A7rii, but my 450D has 9. The video quality on the A7iii (or the Fuji x-t4, for sure) may be much higher than the x-t3 or A7ii, but my 450D has no video at all.

Not only that, but it seems that if I were to buy something like the A7ii or X-T2, the value loss in resale in the future would be much less if I did decide to upgrade in another year or two, vs paying the shiny new price for the X-T4.....

Will keep reading and this thread has been great - lots of searches have ended up with links to this thread from Google

bthotugigem05
AG
Don't do that. The battery life on the second generation alpha cameras is crap, the new batteries are on the iii and up models
javajaws
AG
The Fuji 16-80 is a great kit lens, and a great deal bundled with the X-t4 ($300 cheaper than buying separately). OIS, WR, and F4 for the whole zoom range...

Fuji has plenty of other good zooms, but their primes are their forte. You can get their f/2 zooms for relatively cheap and the IBIS of the X-T4 will make these even more useful.

The best glass though IMO is their 16mm 1.4, 56 1.2, and the 90mm f/2 (although I opted for the 80mm for it's OIS and macro).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, I've seen those concerns (seems the X-T3 batteries are also a concern, while the X-T4 is a huge boost).

That's just a huge premium to pay ($600+)....but definitely something I'll consider.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
javajaws said:

The Fuji 16-80 is a great kit lens, and a great deal bundled with the X-t4 ($300 cheaper than buying separately). OIS, WR, and F4 for the whole zoom range...

Fuji has plenty of other good zooms, but their primes are their forte. You can get their f/2 zooms for relatively cheap and the IBIS of the X-T4 will make these even more useful.

The best glass though IMO is their 16mm 1.4, 56 1.2, and the 90mm f/2 (although I opted for the 80mm for it's OIS and macro).

That's the combo that I have on my pre-order.

My plan is to wait until we get closer to the 4/30 shipping date (no idea if it will take longer to get mine or not) and then either keep it or cancel and go with one of the other options.

Civen
AG
What are your opinions on 24-70 vs 24-(105/120)?

I have a Z6, and want to eventually get something in this zoom range. Nikon currently has
24-70 f4
24-70 f2.8
and on their lens plan roadmap, they show a 24-105 (f4 I assume)

I'm mainly using it for kid pics and family gatherings so shallow depth of field isn't important to me (and is usually actually bad) and higher ISO performance on this camera is good so I don't really mind a slower lens. But I'm still considering the 24-70 2.8 just for the overall pic quality and better design + AF speed.

Is the extra length for 70 vs 105 worth it? What do you guys use?
labmansid
I use Canon, and my 24-105 is my go to lens for general walking around and family gatherings. Plenty sharp for me.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

I use Canon, and my 24-105 is my go to lens for general walking around and family gatherings. Plenty sharp for me.
+1

24-105 family stuff where you are just goofing around.

24-70 more portrait / fancy bokeh stuff.
agracer
AG
Civen said:

What are your opinions on 24-70 vs 24-(105/120)?

I have a Z6, and want to eventually get something in this zoom range. Nikon currently has
24-70 f4
24-70 f2.8
and on their lens plan roadmap, they show a 24-105 (f4 I assume)

I'm mainly using it for kid pics and family gatherings so shallow depth of field isn't important to me (and is usually actually bad) and higher ISO performance on this camera is good so I don't really mind a slower lens. But I'm still considering the 24-70 2.8 just for the overall pic quality and better design + AF speed.

Is the extra length for 70 vs 105 worth it? What do you guys use?
I bought the Z6 kit (FTZ and 24-70/4) and the 24-70 is fine for what you plan to use it with. I took it to a HS BB game and took a few shots just to see how it worked and it was fine in the crappy gym lighting and hi-ISO. Focus was also just fine (update your firmware, Nikon just released another a few weeks ago).

Also, the 24-70/4 is a lot smaller than the 2.8 version so when you travel it will be much easier to pack and carry around. The 2.8 is really a pro level lens (both cost and performance).

Focal length isn't a concern for me though as I have the FTZ and a 70-200/2.8 VR1 that I use when I want more reach.

Curious as why you didn't get the kit? What lens do you have on it now?
Civen
AG
I got the camera and ftz bundle without a lens to start, and used my old F-mount stuff. But that didn't last long, and I bought the 50/1.8 pretty soon after. I didn't get the 24-70/4 since it got branded with the "kit" label, and I didn't want to waste money on something that I'd just replace in the future. Looking back, I think everyone agrees that calling it a kit lens is unfair to it, but when I was looking at the future schedule (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/nikon-z-lens-roadmap) I saw the 24-105 planned for next year, and started getting indecisive about what direction I wanted to go.

So I guess my current thought is to maybe pick up a used 24-70/4 to use until next year, and if I really feel like buying something big I can get the 70-200/2.8 this year instead of 24-70/2.8
agracer
AG
Yeah, the 24-70/4 is not at all a kit lens. Maybe not pro level but it's a very good lens.
bthotugigem05
AG
From my awesome behind the scenes day at NASA getting ready for a SpaceX launch tonight. Flexing the muscle of my GFX100!

UpstateAg
AG
Been put in charge of live-streaming our church service. Looking to keep it at or under a grand. Thoughts? (Also what streaming services, microphone, Tripods, lens?)
Thanks
dubi
AG
UpstateAg said:

Been put in charge of live-streaming our church service. Looking to keep it at or under a grand. Thoughts? (Also what streaming services, microphone, Tripods, lens?)
Thanks
Make a new thread for this; I suspect there are tech guys who are doing this for their churches.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Just unbelievable.

Great shot!
UpstateAg
AG
Thanks. Done.
bthotugigem05
AG
If anyone wants to see all the pics and get the story behind the NASA event, I posted a three-part story about it on the blog:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
dubi
AG
Shopping while bored is dangerous!

FedEx is delivering a Canon 100mm L f2.8 macro lens on Monday!
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.