Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,218 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Bregxit
Legalize-It-Ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been extra nice this year and thinking about raiding B&H for their black friday sale?
bthotugigem05
AG
Just bought a Tesla and accidentally bought a Sony 24mm 1.4, I'm officially out of the camera market for a year or two
dubi
AG
Quote:

accidentally bought a Sony 24mm 1.4

Quote:

I'm officially out of the camera market for a year or two
HA HA
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm more likely to sell stuff.
SkiMo
AG
Any thoughts on this Black Friday Deal?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d7500-dslr-two-lens-kit-with-18-55mm-and-70-300mm-lenses-black/6346180.p?skuId=6346180

Nikon D7500 with 2 lenses for $999. Not sure about the lenses.

I'm an amateur that will be learning and doing this as a hobby
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The 7500 is a good camera, great to learn on. I do think you'll quickly outgrow those two lenses though. What are you going to be shooting? I actually have that 70-300 lens and might be willing to sell it. You might look at a body only, and then buy a lens separately.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I've been a Canon user for many years but am finally ready to dump it for a different platform. I'm looking at picking up a Sony a7iii and I see that there are some modest discounts at the moment. Is this a bad time to buy one given that it's a couple of years old at this point? I know there's always something better around the corner so I'm not super worried about it, but if there is a successor imminent I might hold out a bit longer. I didn't see anything announced yet so I'm assuming it's at least six months before any new model might actually be available for purchase.
SkiMo
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

The 7500 is a good camera, great to learn on. I do think you'll quickly outgrow those two lenses though. What are you going to be shooting? I actually have that 70-300 lens and might be willing to sell it. You might look at a body only, and then buy a lens separately.
Yeah.... the body only is $799. For $200 more you get two lenses but was curious if they were **** lenses and money would be better spent buying the body and one quality lens for now.

Oh... and I live in Utah so landscapes and outdoors mostly. I like portraits as well.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The 18-55 is serviceable, but the 55-200 in my opinion is ***** Event he 18-55 is kind of a **** lens, but you can still get decent images out of it. If it's primarily landscape that you're wanting I'd look at a wider angle lens like maybe the Tokina 11-16. The 7500 is already a cropped sensor so you 18-55 will have the look of 27-82. Lots of landscapes are taken wider. But you'll want a standard lens for general use so you could use the 18-55 there. There are a number of standard lenses from Sigma, Tamron, as well as Nikon that would be better than the 18-55. Again, fine for learning, but lots of people get discouraged by these lenses because they simply can't produce what they envision for their images. They are limited in sharpness and low light capability and that bothers a lot of new photographers.Don't be afraid to buy used and refurbished as well.
SkiMo
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

The 18-55 is serviceable, but the 55-200 in my opinion is ***** Event he 18-55 is kind of a **** lens, but you can still get decent images out of it. If it's primarily landscape that you're wanting I'd look at a wider angle lens like maybe the Tokina 11-16. The 7500 is already a cropped sensor so you 18-55 will have the look of 27-82. Lots of landscapes are taken wider. But you'll want a standard lens for general use so you could use the 18-55 there. There are a number of standard lenses from Sigma, Tamron, as well as Nikon that would be better than the 18-55. Again, fine for learning, but lots of people get discouraged by these lenses because they simply can't produce what they envision for their images. They are limited in sharpness and low light capability and that bothers a lot of new photographers.Don't be afraid to buy used and refurbished as well.
Thanks for the advice! Naturally, it's all a bit overwhelming in the beginning. So many lens choices. On top of just learning the terminology. Lots of practice ahead!
Guitarsoup
AG
Buy Understanding Exposure by Petersen and use that as your text book to learn how to really manipulate light and see how to shoot.
SkiMo
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Buy Understanding Exposure by Petersen and use that as your text book to learn how to really manipulate light and see how to shoot.
I saw your post on the first page and was reading some excerpts on Amazon. Definitely will be purchasing this. Looks very helpful!
BMo
Jason_Ag98 said:

I've been a Canon user for many years but am finally ready to dump it for a different platform. I'm looking at picking up a Sony a7iii and I see that there are some modest discounts at the moment. Is this a bad time to buy one given that it's a couple of years old at this point? I know there's always something better around the corner so I'm not super worried about it, but if there is a successor imminent I might hold out a bit longer. I didn't see anything announced yet so I'm assuming it's at least six months before any new model might actually be available for purchase.
Most Sony users believe the mk4 will come out next year but the 3 is supposed to be a great camera. I own the R3 and a9mk1 and resisted the urge to upgrade both of these with the new versions as they are both great performers. You can pick up used of both my versions pretty cheap right now, just an FYI. I'm not one for waiting but if you see the a73 drop in price, the new one is likely coming.

I even picked up an a6400 and E 70-350 so I would have a crop version camera. It does a great job also as shown.

BMo
Guitarsoup said:

Best move I ever made many years ago.
Guitarsoup
AG
Take it back, I am going to buy something at B&H.

Have a client shoot early next week and have to use a specific color of seamless paper. The local stores don't carry it.

Roll of paper: $55.99
Shipping Paper in time for my shoot: $65
Guitarsoup
AG
And a 2019 i9 8-core 16" Macbook Pro.
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm more likely to sell stuff.

We will keep a running list of purchases!

Quote:

Take it back, I am going to buy something at B&H.

Have a client shoot early next week and have to use a specific color of seamless paper. The local stores don't carry it.

Roll of paper: $55.99
Shipping Paper in time for my shoot: $65

Quote:

And a 2019 i9 8-core 16" Macbook Pro.
OOOH, I am jealous of this purchase!
AggieDruggist89
AG
We downsized to about 25% of what we own. Using this move to VA as an opportunity to do so. Mrs has been selling and donating everything. It's refreshing.

So... Quit buying stuff yo.

I need a 50mm tho.
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

We downsized to about 25% of what we own. Using this move to VA as an opportunity to do so. Mrs has been selling and donating everything. It's refreshing.

I need a 50mm tho.

Can you send the Mrs to Texas to downsize all my crap?

AggieDruggist89
agracer
AG
B&H Black Friday deals already online. Nikon D750 is $996 body only.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
Just bought a Rokinon 85mm 1.5 Cine lens for my GH5.... I'm pretty stoaked about it!
dubi
AG
DP Review cyber Monday deals.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I need a 50mm tho.

You can downsize the 996 to me. I'll get you back into some nice glass
AggieDruggist89
Line Ate Member
AG
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this or if it has already been asked...

My sister is looking for some photo organizing software for her pictures that she takes on her phone and camera. She wants to be able to sort by date as well as find duplicate photos within a batch or file location.

Besides a google search, do any of you photo gurus have a favorite software for organizing your photos?
FTAG 2000
AG
Aerial photography note but any of you drone folks going to get a Skydio 2? On the waiting list and this thing looks great. The obstacle avoidance technology looks sick. First reviews from those who received it in the last week sound incredibly promising.
Raptor
AG
Need recommendations for a good, yet affordable, camera lens that will allow me to capture short videos in low light for medical stuff.

I can't use a lamp or flash due to the nature of the procedural stuff.

I own a 35mm 1.8, but it still seems too dark.

I have a Nikon D7000 and D5500. Would like to order from amazon or pick up locally in DFW before Monday.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Shooting at 1.8 and it's still too dark?
dubi
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Shooting at 1.8 and it's still too dark?
If it is too dark at 1.8 I would think settings need to be changed! or a tripod and longer exposure.
labmansid
Probably the only lens that wouldn't be relatively exorbitant in cost and would give you a hair more light would be a 50mm f1.4. The gain in light would be pretty negligible IMO. The only other option is either more light or higher ISO. You don't mention what settings you are using now. I can't imagine what medical setting requires such low light that video would be that tricky. Video is usually more forgiving than still photography as far as noise.
SkiMo
AG
SkiMo said:

Any thoughts on this Black Friday Deal?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d7500-dslr-two-lens-kit-with-18-55mm-and-70-300mm-lenses-black/6346180.p?skuId=6346180

Nikon D7500 with 2 lenses for $999. Not sure about the lenses.

I'm an amateur that will be learning and doing this as a hobby
Just a follow up, I decided to go ahead and get the Nikon D750 instead of the 7500. B&H was throwing a Cyber Monday sell for $996 for body, case, and memory card. I also purchased a 50mm f/1.8 since it was on sale for a good price and I've heard this is a great lens for any photographer.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I think you made the right choice. Enjoy it!
Guitarsoup
AG
Line Ate Member said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this or if it has already been asked...

My sister is looking for some photo organizing software for her pictures that she takes on her phone and camera. She wants to be able to sort by date as well as find duplicate photos within a batch or file location.

Besides a google search, do any of you photo gurus have a favorite software for organizing your photos?
Probably Lightroom. I don't use any software like that and I organize in folders by category/year/shoot.
Raptor
AG
labmansid said:

Probably the only lens that wouldn't be relatively exorbitant in cost and would give you a hair more light would be a 50mm f1.4. The gain in light would be pretty negligible IMO. The only other option is either more light or higher ISO. You don't mention what settings you are using now. I can't imagine what medical setting requires such low light that video would be that tricky. Video is usually more forgiving than still photography as far as noise.

I have to hand hold the camera due to the nature of the shoot. It's low light because the ultra sound equipment/screens need to be seen at all times and the bright light from the video reflects off them.

The doctors are practicing nerve blocks on cadavers and I have to move as they move and zoom in and out from them talking and then showing each block.

Is exposure something you can adjust on a video in post-processing?

Again, I'm a noob...so I use auto settings for a lot of my shoots. I'm just getting into manual settings.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.