Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

417,253 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, I can barely even work my 3 year old cameras.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Man... What a nightmare....more lens mounts and or adaptors.

So I guess I will stick with my EF and u43 until there is a profound equipment advance in photography.
The Nikon ones (Z6 & Z7) do or did come with an adapter and it works very well.

The new mount is significantly bigger than the old mount, which will allow some lenses that weren't possible with the old mount.

I'm not sure you will find a significant change in camera technology any time soon. Upgrades seem to be incremental.
javajaws
AG

That moment you're processing pictures of your wife and you realize you caught yourself red handed...

hatchback
BMo
I'm personally all in on Sony. a9, a7RIII, a6400 and various lenses. Switched from Olympus in 2014 to Canon and that lasted until 2018. Even owned a Nikon D500 for a while this year. My switch had more to do with going smaller than anything else. Hauling a big white around during the 2018 spring bird migration at age 64 told me I had to change.
labmansid
javajaws said:

That moment you're processing pictures of your wife and you realize you caught yourself red handed...

Or was it really you that was busted??
Raptor
AG
Nikon D750 is on sale for $899 right now. I currently use D5500.

Would this be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the purchase?

Love the WiFi, love the 6.5fps, and the full frame is intriguing.

Also, would I need new lenses or will my 70-200 2.8 and other lenses be fine on the D750?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
70-200 is a full frame lens so you'll be fine
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Where are you seeing that price?
Raptor
AG
https://www.adorama.com/inkd750r.html?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

I know it's refurbished and there is the same camera on Amazon for $1196 brand new, but I hope refurbished can be trusted.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
Raptor
AG

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Raptor said:

Also, would I need new lenses or will my 70-200 2.8 and other lenses be fine on the D750?
I'm not Guitarsoup, but I can tell you the first question he'd ask is, what about the 5500 limits your photography now that you expect the D750 to fix?

It's a fantastic camera. I absolutely love mine, and it was a no-brainer to upgrade from my D60 that was over 10 years old. I got mine refurbished from B&H 2 years ago and it's given me zero problems.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Im considering this. I currently shoot primarily sports with a D7100 and 70-200 2.8. Im looking to get better high ISO quality. D7100 maxes at 6400 and this one maxes at 12800. With the light i shoot in I'm having to even bump the exposure up a bit in lightroom to still maintain the shutter speed I want. This one also seems to have a better auto focus system. Plus full frame opens up more lenses and more creative options for me.
Jethro95
AG
I went from a D7000 to the D750 a few years ago and it was an amazing upgrade.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
What specifically was better?
Jethro95
AG
High ISO for indoor sports. I also use a 70-200 most of the time. My daughter does horseback riding and it wasn't even worth trying to shoot her shows in covered or indoor arenas with the D7000 because it ended up so grainy. Now I routinely crank it up to 6400 and still get great images. It also seems like even though you don't get as much zoom since it's full frame, the quality of what you do crop is the same or better than what you would have gotten before.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Now let's talk manufacturer refurb gear. I've had some in the past and had no problems at all. I'd think refurb gear has to go through some pretty extensive quality control before they resell it. Maximus has a refurb unit. Anybody had any bad experiences with refurb gear?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Have you looked at the D500? It's a crop sensor, but I believe it's still got the high ISO performance you need, and I think it's got a higher shot per second. I think it's the current pro-line for sports and wildlife. I know I've seen some spectacular shots come from one.
Guitarsoup
AG
D500 is fantastic for sports and significantly better for focusing than the D750, but the noise isn't super clean past 3200. If you are shooting 6400+ regularly, the D750 will be cleaner. But the D500 is the better sports camera.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
D500 does sound pretty cool for sports. That autofocus system. But yeah lowlight in high school gyms and stadiums I'm shooting at 6400 all the time and still bumping up in light room. Plus I want to have a full frame camera for other uses as well.
Raptor
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Raptor said:

I'm not Guitarsoup, but I can tell you the first question he'd ask is, what about the 5500 limits your photography now that you expect the D750 to fix?

It's a fantastic camera. I absolutely love mine, and it was a no-brainer to upgrade from my D60 that was over 10 years old. I got mine refurbished from B&H 2 years ago and it's given me zero problems.

Frames per second (which is why I also looked at a mirror less camera with 11fps). Also, I shoot mainly middle school sports both indoors and outside. Outside at night is a killer with my D5500 + 70-200 2.8, even at 6400 iso or higher. Too grainy.

agracer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

So I've not kept up with photo equipment for the past 2 years? So what's gotten better??
Canon and Nikon released mirrorless cameras and both are capable, but myself and a lot of other pros aren't adopting them because they are single card slot.

and what did you do when you only had one roll of film in your SLR ...or the early DSLR's only had ONE card slot? I mean I get it, but not really.
dubi
AG
agracer said:

Guitarsoup said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

So I've not kept up with photo equipment for the past 2 years? So what's gotten better??
Canon and Nikon released mirrorless cameras and both are capable, but myself and a lot of other pros aren't adopting them because they are single card slot.

and what did you do when you only had one roll of film in your SLR ...or the early DSLR's only had ONE card slot? I mean I get it, but not really.

Guitarsoup is a professional and expects redundancy. If he misses a critical shot it is bad!

I shoot for fun and if I miss something it is ok.

Guitarsoup
AG
agracer said:

Guitarsoup said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

If only clients judged my work by the technology available 50 years ago and not what is currently available.

And back then, people lost entire shoots and rolls of film. I did a maternity shoot in medium format and the lab lost the film. Reshoot.

I can't really reshoot a wedding, can I?
agracer
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Im considering this. I currently shoot primarily sports with a D7100 and 70-200 2.8. Im looking to get better high ISO quality. D7100 maxes at 6400 and this one maxes at 12800. With the light i shoot in I'm having to even bump the exposure up a bit in lightroom to still maintain the shutter speed I want. This one also seems to have a better auto focus system. Plus full frame opens up more lenses and more creative options for me.
I was shooting with a D7000 and 70-200/2.8 just fine at 1600 and sometimes 2000 under lousy HS stadium lights and gyms. Not sure whey you think you need 6400? Just shoot NEF and bump up the exposure a bit in LR or ViewNX.

The D750 is a 5yr old camera and the D7100 is a year older. I think Nikon is going to replace it soon (but still a good camera).

The D7500 is every bit as good (but not full frame) and only $800 at B&H Photo new (same sensor as D500 and IIRC mostly the same AF system as D500).

I went from my D7000 to a Z6 with the FTZ adapter and it's been fantastic. I shot my son's soccer game a month back under stadium lights next to a pro the team hired to take photos for senior night and my photos look a lot better. Virtually no grain in the images compared to the d500 images from the pro.
agracer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

agracer said:

Guitarsoup said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

If only clients judged my work by the technology available 50 years ago and not what is currently available.

And back then, people lost entire shoots and rolls of film. I did a maternity shoot in medium format and the lab lost the film. Reshoot.

While I don't shoot events for money, I've still never lost a card in 10+ years of DSLR shooting (SD and now XQD). I just think the whole 1-card thing is a bit overblown. I get you don't want to risk it though. My Z6 is a fantastic camera.

EDIT TO ADD: those looking at refurbished, but it with your AMEX or other credit card that adds 1-year of warranty to your electronic purchases. Saved me $250 when my old D50 had issues and I had to send it back to Nikon.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Quote:

I was shooting with a D7000 and 70-200/2.8 just fine at 1600 and sometimes 2000 under lousy HS stadium lights and gyms. Not sure whey you think you need 6400? Just shoot NEF and bump up the exposure a bit in LR or ViewNX.
What shutter speed were you using? I know how to properly expose an image and read my lightmeter and histogram. I'm shooting 1/800 minumum and usually 1/1000 in order to freeze action. For sports action I'll take a little grain over motion blur any day, unless blur is what I'm going for like a motion pan. In the stadiums I'm shooting that puts me typically 4000-6400. I shoot auto ISO with 6400 as the max as the light is never consistent as you move around, or it goes from dusk to night.

Quote:

The D7500 is every bit as good (but not full frame) and only $800 at B&H Photo new (same sensor as D500 and IIRC mostly the same AF system as D500).
I really do like the idea of full frame to open up more options to me. I also like to shoot wide angle and landscapes. And full frame would open up a lot more creative options for me. I just don't know if it's worth to me to buy a new body unless it's full frame.

Quote:

I went from my D7000 to a Z6 with the FTZ adapter and it's been fantastic. I shot my son's soccer game a month back under stadium lights next to a pro the team hired to take photos for senior night and my photos look a lot better. Virtually no grain in the images compared to the d500 images from the pro.
I've noticed a lot of the pros that get hired to shoot special events at football games really have no idea how to shoot outdoors in low light. I'm sure they're great in the studio or with their portable strobes and modifiers. But especially the action shots, they just don't understand.

Guitarsoup
AG
agracer said:

Guitarsoup said:

agracer said:

Guitarsoup said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

While I don't shoot events for money, I've still never lost a card in 10+ years of DSLR shooting (SD and now XQD). I just think the whole 1-card thing is a bit overblown. I get you don't want to risk it though. My Z6 is a fantastic camera.

Shooting for yourself and a paying client is a very, very different thing.

I have over 1.7million edited, delivered pictures over my career on my server. No clue how many I've shot, but it is a lot. I have had a couple cards fail where I lost images and a bunch that corrupted but no images were lost. I had a CF pin break off in a CF card, rendering it unusable.

Being trusted with shooting a once-in-a-lifetime event that cannot be replicated again is something that should be approached with due diligence and not having an immediate backup when immediate backups are readily available (and available extraordinarily cheap) is bad business at best. This isn't 2006 when your only option was spending $8k on a new flagship body. If you can shoot professionally, you can afford a dual-slot camera. A D600 is like $400-500. A D800 is like $600-800. There is pretty much no barrier to entry on these things.

You are taking pictures for fun. I am doing it for the livelihood of my wife, two kids, and disabled parent. The stakes are a bit higher for me and if I screwed up a shoot because of a failure like that, it would certainly not be great for my reputation and could significantly hurt my career.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I noticed the D500 uses one SD slot and one XQD slot. Not familiar with XQD so I looked around for it and it seems like it's being phased out. ANyone concerned about not being able to find cards if yours craps out? I have two SD slots and always both filled for redundancy. These XQD cards are freaking expensive.
Guitarsoup
AG
XQD isn't being phased out. It is the predecessor to CFExpress and it will be backwards compatible with CFX cards with a firmware update.

Nikon was ahead of the curve on that. Canon introduced a different format in the 1DX2 that is now the Betamax of memory card formats

XQD is significantly better than CF or SD.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thanks!
MonkeyKnifeFighter
agracer
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Count me in too as someone who's had a high-quality SD card corrupt either during a shoot or in the time between shooting and unloading. It happens. I'd hate to have to tell a client that.

I wasn't aware that SD cards have a finite life and you have to replace them every few years until I read about it on Thom Hogan's site last year.
tk for tu juan
First Page Last Page
Page 76 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.