Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,287 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Focus isn't on par with DSLRs for continuous focus on action and some standard lenses aren't offered like a 400 2.8 (yet)
I guess I'll continue to stick to my setup. Using a new-to-me used 70-200 2.8 IS this season. Got it for a nice price.

I feel lenses are all coming down in price because all the rich soccer mom/dads have gotten too lazy to mess with DSLRs.
MBAR
AG
Is it really all that different than a DSLR though? Sure, you save a couple of ounces in weight, but people talkl about mirrorless like it's some huge difference and I don't see it.
labmansid
tk for tu juan said:

We common non-credentialed folks probably cannot sneak a 400 f2.8 lens into a sporting event. I get heat for 70-200 lens at places (Baylor), and forced to use a bridge camera at other places (UH, Rice) that do not allow a "pro" cam. Luckily A&M still allows interchangeable lens cameras.

One of the football games I went to this year, I was almost turned away at the gate for bringing my 300mm/f4 lens. I never had any issues with it before, and was able to talk them into letting me take it in.
AggieDruggist89
AG
MBAR said:

Is it really all that different than a DSLR though? Sure, you save a couple of ounces in weight, but people talkl about mirrorless like it's some huge difference and I don't see it.

You do with u43. I will post a Pic later.
flintdragon
AG
I think it's more of convenience. Smaller form factor, don't get the huge lenses. 10 years ago, you had to get dslr for good shots. Now everyone just use phones or maybe mirrorless/bridge.

I was at my kid's 5th grade musical. I was the only one with a camcorder (old HD one I had, wanted to use a tripod). Everyone else used their phones handheld. Maybe noticed 2 DSLRs but were probably bridge cameras.

I was recently in the market for a 24-105 and the 70-200. Prices are coming down if you can wait for a good deal. People still trying to sell at high price but they aren't moving.
AggieDruggist89
AG
MBAR said:

Here's the size comparison between my 5DSR with 24-70mm f2.8 vs. OM-D E-M5 with 12-35mm f2.8. Equivalent focal lengths. Of course 50mp vs. 16mp there's no comparison.

Here's the size comparison between 1DIII with 300mm f2.8 vs. OM-D E-M1 II with 40-150mm f2.8. Not an equivalent focal lengths 390mm vs 300mm. Here, really apples to oranges because Olympus does have a much superior everything compared to Canon 1DIII that's now a dinosaur. Then again, E-M1 is the top of the line u43 body at $1799 vs. pro DSLR. This is just to show the size differences.

Just a random comparison:

But really, this is all I took on a 3 week Europe trip. That would be the rangefinder design camera on the right in the picture above with 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/trip-to-europe-with-1-body-and-1-lens.92592/

Guitarsoup
AG
Should be noted that the sensor is half the size on a Micro 4:3 camera and it also shoots in different dimensions than most other cameras. Generally the larger sensors will have better image quality.

But those Oly M43 cameras are high enough quality for pretty much any amateur.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Should be noted that the sensor is half the size on a Micro 4:3 camera and it also shoots in different dimensions than most other cameras. Generally the larger sensors will have better image quality.

But those Oly M43 cameras are high enough quality for pretty much any amateur.

We will see how long this guy stays with u43. And for amateurs and enthusiasts doing ocassional videos, sports, portrait, and landscape, u43 provides a cost effective and portable solution. U43 depreciates quickly.

Guitarsoup
AG
Guys like that are usually getting an advertising deal or other endorsement deal to switch.

I never made any videos like that when I switched because no one paid me.

Kelby danced around it the fact that Canon was paying him six-figures when he switched to Canon from Nikon.

Then he also cancelled the contracts of Nikon shooters that were booked to host workshops for him if they wouldn't use Canon in the videos.
dubi
AG
Well the rental Tamron 100-400 has been lightly used due to cloudy and rainy weather. Sadly we both realized immediately it takes 2 turns of the zoom ring to toggle between 100 and 400. :-(
That is a big no if I'm using this for sports. I really wanted to like the price and the fact it weighed a bit less than the Canon.

Adorama sent me a $200 off coupon tonite good for the Canon 100-400 and it was already discounted $300. Total was $1,699 and no tax no shipping. Order placed.

I've wanted this lens since I rented it last February! Merry Christmas to me!
tk for tu juan
Very nice
AggieDruggist89
AG
Well done!
Mr. Dubi
dubi said:

Well the rental Tamron 100-400 has been lightly used due to cloudy and rainy weather. Sadly we both realized immediately it takes 2 turns of the zoom ring to toggle between 100 and 400. :-(
That is a big no if I'm using this for sports. I really wanted to like the price and the fact it weighed a bit less than the Canon.

Adorama sent me a $200 off coupon tonite good for the Canon 100-400 and it was already discounted $300. Total was $1,699 and no tax no shipping. Order placed.

There goes my tax break
AggieDruggist89
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

dubi said:

There goes my tax break

No sir, you owe me actually...

I could have sold her a much more expensive 300mm f2.8 and 1.4X and 2X converters for a bargain price, but still more than the 100-400mm. But I didn't want your organization to have to pay you overtime.

dubi
AG
Plus Guitarsoup has a 400 2.8 that I could buy!

Mr. Dubi
It's not the getting paid for working OT. Rather it's the working OT that is the issue
TexAgsAnon
Got some Canon stuff for sale, going to move to Fuji for a while to see what the hype's about.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2918622/replies/50781563
Cromagnum
AG
Though I plan on using it until the wheels fall off, would it be advisable down the road to stick with crop sensor gear or get a full frame camera down the road? Was not sure if I had pigeon holed myself or it these could still be used on a full frame sensor too. I'm thinking the answer is still yes, but I would lose the 1.6x factor zoom in doing so.

I have a Canon 40D now and 3 lenses.
EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 ISII USM
EF-S 10-22 f/3-4.5 USM
dubi
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Got some Canon stuff for sale, going to move to Fuji for a while to see what the hype's about.

Must quit looking!
TexAgsAnon
dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Must quit looking!
Do it. The 16-35 is so much fun!
Mr. Dubi
TexAgsAnon said:

dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Must quit looking!

Mr.Dubi has other ideas about ultrawide lenses.... besides she already has the 10-22
AggieDruggist89
AG
Cromagnum said:

Though I plan on using it until the wheels fall off, would it be advisable down the road to stick with crop sensor gear or get a full frame camera down the road? Was not sure if I had pigeon holed myself or it these could still be used on a full frame sensor too. I'm thinking the answer is still yes, but I would lose the 1.6x factor zoom in doing so.

EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 10-22 f/3-4.5 USM

Why do you think you need FF?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Must quit looking!

Mr.Dubi has other ideas about ultrawide lenses.... besides she already has the 10-22

That lens wont work on a FF body.
AggieDruggist89
AG
She needs 1DX.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Welcome to the world of mirrorless and EVF. Hope you enjoy the stay. Ive been on it for almost 7 years and no turning back.
dubi
AG
I have 2 crop bodies and I'm happy for now.

The 10-22 is the only lens I use that won't work on full frame.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Cromagnum said:

EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 10-22 f/3-4.5 USM

Why do you think you need FF?

I don't necessarily think I need it. My 40D is 10 years old so I realize at some point it will fail on me, or technology will improve enough that I will eventually upgrade. Just curious if the lenses I have are compatible with full or if it's best to stick to crop.
dubi
AG
If you are like me and just shoot photos for fun, crop is likely just fine. It allows me to own 2 camera bodies for less than 1 full frame.
AggieDruggist89
AG
EF-S lens doesn't work with FF.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

EF-S lens doesn't work with FF.

Good to know. Thanks
TexAgsAnon
AggieDruggist89 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Welcome to the world of mirrorless and EVF. Hope you enjoy the stay. Ive been on it for almost 7 years and no turning back.
I had mirrorless before the 6D with the E-M5 and then the E-M1. The files that the Olympus system produced never impressed me all that much, which is tragic, because on paper the E-M1 MKII blows the pants off of the Fuji X-T2. However, the X-T2 manages to output files that are far beyond the E-M1 MKII to my eye. The 6D is like an extension of my body, it's so effortless to get the exact shot I'm seeing in my head, but size/portability is just not there. Granted, it's still one of the most compact full frame DSLRs.

I love that Olympus is focusing on battery life and full weather sealing. People are getting DSLR battery life from the EM-1 MKII which is stunning.

If money was no option, I'd go Sony A7RIII but that isn't anywhere near my price range.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have E-M1 II and I've gone through a few Olympus bodies. Still have E-M5, PM2, Pany GX7 and GH2.

Because I shoot in Raw and use PS CS, JPG rendering doesn't concern me as much. I've had A7R with piss poor battery life and I didn't want to have 2 FF systems since I still shoot with 5DSR sometimes.

The battery life on E-M1 II is incredible...with electronic shutter mix, I can get over 1000 shots easily..and have more than 70% remaining...then again, I have 2 additional batteries so it's all good. I'm going to shoot some indoor sports this winter so will see how it fares.

TexAgsAnon
I'm curious about the C-AF improvements in the Mark II, which are supposed to be substantial. There's also a larger selection of "Pro" Olympus lenses now than when I was in the ecosystem, so that's a plus.
dubi
AG
My 70D can shoot > 2,500 shots on single battery. I've been extremely pleased.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

I'm curious about the C-AF improvements in the Mark II, which are supposed to be substantial. There's also a larger selection of "Pro" Olympus lenses now than when I was in the ecosystem, so that's a plus.
There was a new firmware update release this week that improved the C-AF even more.

I haven't updated yet. May do a before and after test.

Yes, their pro series lenses are nice. I do have 40-150 and 1.4x. I do need to add the 300mm. Also, the old 4/3 lenses supposed to work well with E-M1. So I may give them a try with an adapter.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.