Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,352 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the 50 and the 85, i use them around the house since the range from my subjects is limited but they aren't my first choice when we leave the house.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Maybe walk around is not the right term, I have the tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I use currently use as walk around lense
TexAgsAnon
Well you didn't offer any details about what situations you're interested in shooting...need to know more info before we can make a recommendation.
dubi
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Maybe walk around is not the right term, I have the tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I use currently use as walk around lense
I use my Canon 24-105 F4 as my everyday lens. I keep the 70-200 on the other camera body for the zoom functionality to catch wildlife in my yard.
Mr. Dubi
Oops. I put this camera in the $500 range because I know somebody with a bag full of Canon lenses.
labmansid
I shoot Canon and use the 24-105 as my general use walkaround lens. For Nikon, B&H has a pretty good deal on a refurb 24-120. That would be my choice.

Nikon 24-120
Guitarsoup
AG
Which lens I use as a walk around depends what I am doing. I will often just use an 85 or 35, but other times the 24-120 is the better choice.
bthotugigem05
AG
For the Sony shooters out there, the new 24-105 is absolutely phenomenal.
Guitarsoup
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

It's for my wife. Our Nikon finally bit the dust after having random mode switching issues, and she wants another camera. I researched it, and many people have had the same problem with no one able to fix it.

We mostly do family photos and vacations, nothing professional. With our one year old, we're taking a lot more pictures lately. She is a pretty good photographer, though, and would like something better than an entry level digital camera. I think price range would be in the $450-500 range.

ETA: The T6i is a little pricey, but we've grown to love the flip out LCD...
Why are you switching to Canon?

You can pick up a Nikon D700 for $500. Fantastic camera for the price.

If you want something newer, look at a D7100.

The D7100 will absolutely destroy either of those Canons on performance and features.
tk for tu juan
I've rented a D850 to use at next week's indoor track meet. Probably a mistake since the urge to switch to Nikon will grow exponentially thru the weekend.
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

I've rented a D850 to use at next week's indoor track meet. Probably a mistake since the urge to switch to Nikon will grow exponentially thru the weekend.
dubi
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

How do you like this lens?
jaggiemaggie
AG
really like it.
TexAgsAnon
I used the Tamron 28-75 2.8 on full frame for many years (different model of the same lens), and loved it.

Tammy has a much better option these days with the 24-70 G2 if you're willing to spend the money.
dubi
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

I used the Tamron 28-75 2.8 on full frame for many years (different model of the same lens), and loved it.

Tammy has a much better option these days with the 24-70 G2 if you're willing to spend the money.
The 24-70 g2 is on my Christmas list. I own the 70-200 g2 and love it.

jaggiemaggie
AG
Sorry dubi.... meant to say " really like it but bought it on an impulse and wished could have been patient and saved for 24-70mm... and just looked at my camera. I actually have thr sigma 17-50 but I used to have the Tamron when I had a canon 40d
Mr. Dubi
dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Looks like Mr. Dubi needs to pick up some more OT
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

TexAgsAnon said:

That 24-70 is really similar to your 24-105. Why both?
dubi
AG
Because I can? I know it is silly.

Plus I want a 100-400 and your 400mm F2.8.
tk for tu juan
On the Nikon cameras, which picture control profile is better for editing in Lightroom afterwards, Neutral or Flat?
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

On the Nikon cameras, which picture control profile is better for editing in Lightroom afterwards, Neutral or Flat?
If shooting raw, it doesn't matter whatsoever. Only changes how it looks on the screen on the camera.
tk for tu juan
Thanks. I will be shooting lossless compressed RAW to the XQD card and a duplicate jpg to the SD card for comparison. Was turning off the majority of the camera processing features for the jpg file when I saw the flat profile.

Really like the button layout for adjusting the AF settings without removing my eye from the viewfinder.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Dude...

Awesome.

bthotugigem05 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Got my a7riii early!

Awesome! Please provide some review.

I'm going to slowly migrate to Sony.. Eventually to A9 or A9R.
Love it so far, will probably sell my a6500 as a result. Fast autofocus, great video, really happy with it. I do hope they come out with an a9r at some point in the 60-70MP range but for now the a7rIII takes the best of the a7rII (sensor), a6500 (video features like shooting in 5K and downsampling and 120fps slow-mo shooting) and the a9 (form factor, bigger battery, touch screen, AF joystick, dual memory cards).

A lot of people are saying it's comparable to what Canon did with the jump from the 5D3 to the 5D4 and I don't think that's a bad comparison. Evolution not revolution but they managed to make a great camera like the a7rII even better.

My video review:

Angelo80
AG
I am looking for a gift in the $750-1000 slightly + range for someone with a Canon T6i body. Would it be better to look for a used full-frame Canon body or a lens for their current body? I an thinking about the Tamron 24-70 lens for the current body. Used vs New? Would appreciate any recommendations from someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Hmmm... Never considered a used photo equipment as a gift.

On FF body, this person may not have a lens that works with FF if all he/she has is EF-S lens.

On 24-70mm f2. 8 lens, do you know for sure he/she doesn't have one?

I would just do $1000 B&H gift card.
AggieDruggist89
AG
But then again, I personally won't invest in DSLR equipment going forward. Mirrorless has come a long way past decade. And who knows what will happen in next 10 years.

With Panasonic flirting with 8K, why bother with picture taking. Just few bursts of videos and find a picture you like... Not sure why this couldn't work for pro sports photography. Instead of 10 to 20 fps shots with a 20mp FF and 15 pound lenses, 5 second worth of 30fps 8k video may provide better results.

Just trying to stir up crap to make this thread more interesting.
Guitarsoup
AG
It really depends on what they already have and what they need to complement it or what they feel like their limitations are with their current gear. A 24 to 70 2.8 is a very good all-around lens for most people
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Hmmm... Never considered a used photo equipment as a gift.

On FF body, this person may not have a lens that works with FF if all he/she has is EF-S lens.

On 24-70mm f2. 8 lens, do you know for sure he/she doesn't have one?

I would just do $1000 B&H gift card.

Gift card

They could use it to buy used equipment if they wanted.
Angelo80
AG
Thanks for the thoughts. Decisions, decisions...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bthotugigem05
AG
Thanks! I know my videos are fairly crap but I'm trying to get better.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Thanks! I know my videos are fairly crap but I'm trying to get better.

Dude, it's good stuff.

I dumped about $3,000 worth of gear last 2 weeks. I did sell a6300 due to overheat issues.

Now down to 2 DSLR and 4 lenses... And a load of u43. Actually picked up OM-D E-M1 II and a speed booster. Curious to see what EF lens can do on my u43. The 60fps silent shooting and pros shoot mode where it takes pictures before I take pictures are incredible.

Will wait 3 to 5 years and see what Sony does. Used u43 market is so darn cheap and those little lenses and bodies are so damn portable.
flintdragon
AG
How are mirrorless these days for indoor sports photography?

I have a few more years left for my kids to be done with sports. Lugging around my equipment is ok but gets a little tiresome sometimes at multiple day tournaments.
Guitarsoup
AG
Focus isn't on par with DSLRs for continuous focus on action and some standard lenses aren't offered like a 400 2.8 (yet)
tk for tu juan
We common non-credentialed folks probably cannot sneak a 400 f2.8 lens into a sporting event. I get heat for 70-200 lens at places (Baylor), and forced to use a bridge camera at other places (UH, Rice) that do not allow a "pro" cam. Luckily A&M still allows interchangeable lens cameras.

I will be renting a Sony a9 or a7riii for the next indoor track meet to test out.
dubi
AG
I am renting the new Tamron 100-400 over my Christmas break. 2 week rental was only $92 including insurance, tax, and fed ex shipping both ways.

Link

• Order must arrive by 12/22/17 and be returned after 1/1/18.
  • Use code EXTRAWEEK at checkout.
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.