Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,379 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That being said, I took professional portraits of my staff yesterday using my 5DSR and 70-200 around our campus. I was also lugging a bag with 3 flashes, lenses.. battery etc. Thought to myself this is nonsense. I could have done the same with a u43 and a reflector at 1/4 the weight.
MBAR
AG
I'll deal with my extra bulk from the DSLR as long as I can have the extra battery life too.
AggieDruggist89
AG
MBAR said:

I'll deal with my extra bulk from the DSLR as long as I can have the extra battery life too.

Battery life on new Sony bodies is reported to be quite good. I'm not suggesting anyone abandon their DSLR. But for the majority of new hobbyists getting in, I believe mirrorless is the way to go. It doesn't mean some won't pursue medium format film photography.
TexAgsAnon
AggieDruggist89 said:

Prism and mirror are obsolete and it will meet the end like film. I would never recommend a DSLR to anyone wanting to get into photography today. Not only the size of the DSLR, the antiquated LCD screens and their lack of effort in keeping up with the latest IOS/Android technology of Canikon make it less than desirable. I doubt many of our children will be vacationing with a dinosaur DSLR in near future.
For a family on the go, you're right.

For a hobbiest like us? It's usually DSLR or nothing. I'm sorry, but m43 and the like just can't compete with high end Canikon glass and full frame sensors.

It's like the dying breed of people who drive a manual transmission...there's an added utility for those folks that would be lost on the masses.
MBAR
AG
Haha maybe that's true because I also drive a manual.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Prism and mirror are obsolete and it will meet the end like film. I would never recommend a DSLR to anyone wanting to get into photography today. Not only the size of the DSLR, the antiquated LCD screens and their lack of effort in keeping up with the latest IOS/Android technology of Canikon make it less than desirable. I doubt many of our children will be vacationing with a dinosaur DSLR in near future.
For a family on the go, you're right.

For a hobbiest like us? It's usually DSLR or nothing. I'm sorry, but m43 and the like just can't compete with high end Canikon glass and full frame sensors.

It's like the dying breed of people who drive a manual transmission...there's an added utility for those folks that would be lost on the masses.

I think Sony is doing just fine competing with Canikon in FF and high end glasses. I have/had a crapload of both L lenses and u43 lenses. I actually prefer u43 and Sony user experience now. But that's just me.
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

That being said, I took professional portraits of my staff yesterday using my 5DSR and 70-200 around our campus. I was also lugging a bag with 3 flashes, lenses.. battery etc. Thought to myself this is nonsense. I could have done the same with a u43 and a reflector at 1/4 the weight.
AggieDruggist89
AG
But I looked impressive with that big white lens!
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

You can ship me all the big white lenses. I'll take them off your hands since they are so distressing.
TexAgsAnon
AggieDruggist89 said:

Could have taken portraits with a 50 1.2, 85 1.2, or 135 2.0 and gotten nicer results with less face fattening at a lighter kit weight...don't blame the DSLR for a bad lens choice!

(i'm sure they turned out terrifically)
AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

You can ship me all the big white lenses. I'll take them off your hands since they are so distressing.

I'm gonna move back to Texas and give you all my DSLR crap.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Could have taken portraits with a 50 1.2, 85 1.2, or 135 2.0 and gotten nicer results with less face fattening at a lighter kit weight...don't blame the DSLR for a bad lens choice!

(i'm sure they turned out terrifically)

I don't have any of those lenses. But I almost used 300 2.8.

All were shot at 200mm 2.8 with creamy bokeh look of the hospital in the background
dubi
AG
Quote:

creamy bokeh look of the hospital in the background
Who can resist a hospital background!

I need to run over to St Joe's and take a few photos just for fun.

Quote:

I'm gonna move back to Texas and give you all my DSLR crap.
I'm ready!
TexAgsAnon
Please don't use 300mm for portraiture, unless you want them to look like aliens...look at those ears!

dubi
AG
I created a new thread for those of us looking to sell camera gear. I need to unload a lens so I can get a new one for Christmas.

Link
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I'm looking for a camcorder to do some YouTube stuff for Work.

I also may want a small camera that takes better pics than a cell phone for similar purposes
tk for tu juan
Most of the YouTube vloggers seem to use either the Sony RX100 or Canon G7x if they are filming with a small camera. The larger cameras they use are the Canon 70D/80D or Sony a7sII. One uses a Canon 1DxII
dubi
AG
70D takes really nice video.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I would think many Vloggers are using Panasonic GH3, 4, and 5.
bthotugigem05
AG
Got my a7riii early!
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Got my a7riii early!

Awesome! Please provide some review.

I'm going to slowly migrate to Sony.. Eventually to A9 or A9R.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I think focal length above 50 mm works fine.

TexAgsAnon said:

Please don't use 300mm for portraiture, unless you want them to look like aliens...look at those ears!

thirty-two
AG
Following...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Any suggestions on an entry level DSLR? Considering a Rebel T6 or T6i. Is the i worth the added cost?
bjork
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I'm looking for a camcorder to do some YouTube stuff for Work.

I also may want a small camera that takes better pics than a cell phone for similar purposes
EOS M.

APS-C sensor in a small mirror-less body for super cheap. I paid $160 for mine and it's become my do-it-all travel camera for still, video, and timelapses.

There's an adapter for almost any family of lens you want to mount - including EF. There's also a Magic Lantern build for it and you can side load Cinestyle.

Here's my typical kit:

Around $300 for everything except for lenses. With adapters you can get some cool and random glass for cheap on Ebay.
dubi
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Any suggestions on an entry level DSLR? Considering a Rebel T6 or T6i. Is the i worth the added cost?
If you are brand new to DSLR photography the features you might get from stepping up a level probably do not matter. And I say this about my own photography as well; my 70D has many features I have not even used.

What is your price range and what types of photos do you want to take? It helps to get a kit with right right lens for your needs.
dubi
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

T6i sale

T6 sale
bthotugigem05
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Got my a7riii early!

Awesome! Please provide some review.

I'm going to slowly migrate to Sony.. Eventually to A9 or A9R.
Love it so far, will probably sell my a6500 as a result. Fast autofocus, great video, really happy with it. I do hope they come out with an a9r at some point in the 60-70MP range but for now the a7rIII takes the best of the a7rII (sensor), a6500 (video features like shooting in 5K and downsampling and 120fps slow-mo shooting) and the a9 (form factor, bigger battery, touch screen, AF joystick, dual memory cards).

A lot of people are saying it's comparable to what Canon did with the jump from the 5D3 to the 5D4 and I don't think that's a bad comparison. Evolution not revolution but they managed to make a great camera like the a7rII even better.

My video review:
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's for my wife. Our Nikon finally bit the dust after having random mode switching issues, and she wants another camera. I researched it, and many people have had the same problem with no one able to fix it.

We mostly do family photos and vacations, nothing professional. With our one year old, we're taking a lot more pictures lately. She is a pretty good photographer, though, and would like something better than an entry level digital camera. I think price range would be in the $450-500 range.

ETA: The T6i is a little pricey, but we've grown to love the flip out LCD...
dubi
AG
I posted a sale link above for the T6. I'd buy that.

However I'd pay $100 for a flip our LCD plus I love the wifi. You can pull photos off the camera from your phone.
Mr. Dubi
dubi said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

T6i sale

T6 sale
Canon SL2. Most features of 70D fewer autofocus points, more 24mp sensor, $599 with lens.

review
dubi
AG
Quote:

$450-500 range.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Which one would you get: Nikkor 50mm f 1.4 and 85mm f1.8? 70-200mm just doesn't seem like a good walking around lens with two kids...
TexAgsAnon
Neither of those primes are a good walkaround lens IMO...something like a 24-70 2.8 would be far better imo.
dubi
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Neither of those primes are a good walkaround lens IMO...something like a 24-70 2.8 would be far better imo.
+1

Or maybe a 24-105.

Quote:

Which one would you get: Nikkor 50mm f 1.4 and 85mm f1.8? 70-200mm just doesn't seem like a good walking around lens with two kids...
Great lenses but not what i would use to run around with 2 kids. You want to be able to zoom in and out a bit, but not to the extent of 70-200.
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.