Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

419,855 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Premium said:

And just for reference, got a $250 extra trip charge to our Galveston house on top of the regular fee from Shoot to Sell.
Just for reference, their trip charge is more than I would have charged you for the entire shoot, and my images are better.

I could probably use professional shots even if I get a camera. Yes, on stilts. Here was my first drone video ever... so be easy. Of Galveston property:

Pics before our updates:

https://www.vrbo.com/857142
Gramercy Riffs
AG
How often are you down there? I don't have the dates yet, but I've got to make one more trip to that area sometime soon (parents are looking to move and I plan on helping them pack one weekend). If our schedules work out and you think this is something you want to learn, I'd be happy to meet you there and we can shoot your house together.

The photos aren't terrible, but if you want to shoot your own, I can show you how to get around some of the problem areas. Dark walls and windows, gritty texture, reflections on cabinets, blown out windows and lamps, crooked vertical lines - all easy to fix.

Your drone work is good. I don't do video work, so no clue there.
jg07
AG
I don't need the D850, but I want one and will probably get one because I have no self-control. Love the D500, but I miss full frame. I just recently picked up a Sigma 50-100 1.8 that is a great lens, but with it being fx it will have to go as well. D850 looks to be a great all around camera.

bthotugigem05
AG
That makes me feel better for looking for a used 5DIII to use exclusively with my tilt shift lenses.
tk for tu juan
Premium said:

tk for tu juan said:

I have a 70D with the 18-135mm kit lens that I could sell you for $600. I used it for two track meets then upgraded to the 7D mkII for the faster frames per second. The 70D has been sitting in the box since last year.

When/where could we meet? I'm up 45 North basically in The Woodlands.

I have some work deadlines to finish this week. We could meet somewhere on the 99 corridor this weekend if we are not hit with a wall of water first.
tk for tu juan
Very tempting to switch sides for that D850.
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Very tempting to switch sides for that D850.
I switched a few years ago. Every major release has reinforced that I made the right decision. Looking at the D850 vs the 5D4 is a no brainer.
Premium
AG
Got your email, you can take down
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1585/d850.html?fref=gc

Official D850 release out.

The 8K is just timelapse, so I had that wrong.
bthotugigem05
AG
Phenomenal camera and a great price. Excited for the Nikon shooters.
labmansid
dubi said:

Did you take eclipse photos?
I just got in from Big Bend so was off the grid for a few days. I did get some shots of the partial eclipse from Big Bend, but haven't really had a chance to process anything yet.

Unfortunately, it was fairly cloudy pretty much every night from monsoonal thunderstorms, so no Milky Way shots this time.
FTAG 2000
AG
D850 is the tits. Do want, but as an amateur with a baby on the way just can't justify the cost.
tk for tu juan
Crazy photo this guy shot in the eye of Harvey. Seeing the stars in the middle of a 17 mile eye

Premium
AG
I'm considering tk for tu juan's deal for $600 - it comes with the 18-135mm lens.

Wondering if I should start with the 18-55mm; the 135mm may be a little bulky for carting around?

Or should I just pick that up this for $600 and buy an additional smaller lens?

I'm on board with that wide angle lense for about $600-700 in addition to whatever I pick up.

Let me get through this hurricane stuff in Port A and then we can see how the schedules work for Galveston.
dubi
AG
Those kit lenses are very light.
Premium
AG
I'm thinking if I decided to cart it around Disney for 5 days - will I wish I had a smaller lens?
Guitarsoup
AG
Premium said:

I'm thinking if I decided to cart it around Disney for 5 days - will I wish I had a smaller lens?
Doubtful. It is a plastic lens. Not heavy or cumbersome at all. I would want that range.
Premium
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Premium said:

Doubtful. It is a plastic lens. Not heavy or cumbersome at all. I would want that range.
tk for tu juan
Yeah,the kit lens weighs around 1 lbs, lengths varies from 4 to 6 inches at the zoom extents

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=809
FTAG 2000
AG
For the Nikon crew, talk to me about a good lens for newborn photos, etc.

Is the Nifty 50 the way to go? 35mm?

Thanks.
bthotugigem05
AG
What camera body?
FTAG 2000
AG
D750 (FX).
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Just got home from my trip to Acadia/New Hampshire/Vermont. Those that recommended the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 VR knocked it out of the park! I sent it back today. It was absolutely perfect for whale watching, as the fast focusing and VR were vital. Most of my shots were in the 200-320 mm range as tracking a humpback from 200 yards away ain't easy. Got some pretty good pictures (considering I'm really not that good), and when I'm done post-processing them I'll post 'em here so you can see how bad I really am. For future reference, you can stuff the thing inside a Lowepro AW200 Slingshot back, but not much else. Between that and my Tamron 28-75, though, I had plenty. The only thing I might've used I didn't have was the Tokina 11-16, but I figured one lens rental for the trip was enough, and my iPhone's panorama mode seems to have done well enough.

There was a question above about a bag for hiking (somewhat similar to one I asked several pages ago). What I ended up doing was getting an Osprey Stratos 34 and stuffing an internal camera pad in there. It worked pretty well, but when I put a 3L hydration bladder in there for bike riding it got a bit tight with that big Nikon lens. Smaller bladder might've worked better, but it worked well enough for me to hike/ride with no complaints.
bthotugigem05
AG
Personal rec would be the 35mm simply so you can capture more of the environment around the kid.
Guitarsoup
AG
Depends on the look you want. Lots of people use a macro lens like the 105. You see a lot of baby stuff with the 50mm, likely because most baby photographers are momtogs and that is kind of the basic lens to get.

Prefer 85mm to 50mm, but it really depends on the look you want and the environment you have to shoot it.
FTAG 2000
AG
I've got an 85 already, probably should have mentioned that. Really like it for portraits, but thinking I need something wider.

Looking at both the 50 and 35, seem to find more images online with the 50. Just trying to balance that against the issue like Guitar mentioned with the 50 being a common lens.
Guitarsoup
AG
50 is too close to 85. I would get the 35. 35/85 is a very natural pairing
jaggiemaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Will you post stuff here if you end up selling?
Stuff I have to sell:

Canon 14mm 2.8L I (with metal lens protector thingy)
Canon 45mm 2.8 TS-E Tilt Shift (with hood)
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS I (with case, two hoods, tripod ring)
Canon 300mm 2.8L IS I (w/ Don Zeck lens cap, case, hood with working lock, no leather cap)
Canon 400mm 2.8L IS I (w/ Don Zeck lens cap, case, hood, with working lock, leather cap, has gaff tape around hood, but was unscratched before gaff tape added)
Sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro lens with hood and case (not the OS version) with 1.4x and 2.0x
Lensbaby for Canon
2x 580EX II flashes
Fuji X100s with box, like new, used just a handful of times
Canon GP-E2, never used with box (I think)
Canon right angle view finder, used just a handful of times
Think Tank Shape Shifter with Canon Logo
Mamiya 645AFD with 120/220 back and 80mm 2.8 autofocus lens
Pocket Wizard TT5+TT5+TT1 set for Canon
Four Pocket Wizards, one transmitter, one transceiver, two receivers
Two Elinchrom Rangers 1100 watt/seconds with two S heads, three batteries and one charger
Nine Elinchrom D-Lite 400 watt/second monolights

If I get all that stuff out, I bet I can find more stuff that I want to get rid of, too.

Selling any Nikon mount lenses?
Jason_Ag98
AG
I haven't read every page of this thread - has mirrorless been covered already? I have a Canon DSLR setup that I'm happy with but would be interested in getting something lighter and more compact for hiking and backpacking or other occasions where I'm traveling light. Wondering if I should consider a mirrorless camera or a P&S (or just use my phone).

Guitarsoup
AG
Full Frame Mirrorless isn't really that much more compact than consumer models unless you go with something like the Canon 1, Fuji X100s, or Micro 4/3 which isn't full frame. Plus mirrorless chews through batteries, so you need to factor in carrying extras.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quote:

Selling any Nikon mount lenses?

The only Nikon lenses I don't use are my 35mm 1.4 AIS and 50mm 1.2 AIS. I could be persuaded to sell those. Otherwise, nah. I use all my Nikon lenses pretty regularly except those two.

Current Nikon Lineup
14-24 2.8G
24-120 f4G VR
70-200 2.8G VR II
35mm 1.4G
35mm 1.4 AIS
50mm 1.2 AIS
50mm 1.8G
85mm 1.4G
105mm 2.8 VR micro
200mm 2.0 VR
400mm 2.8G VR
D4, D4, D500, D800

On my wish list:
D850+grip
24-70mm 2.8
105mm 1.4G
200-500 5.6G
Sigma 120-300mm 2.8
800mm 5.6

jaggiemaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Would you recommend the 85 or the 105?
Guitarsoup
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Would you recommend the 85 or the 105?
There are two different 105s. The Micro lens serves a different purpose than the 1.4G. The 105 1.4G is like the 85 1.4G on steroids.

I recommend all three, but for different things.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

I haven't read every page of this thread - has mirrorless been covered already? I have a Canon DSLR setup that I'm happy with but would be interested in getting something lighter and more compact for hiking and backpacking or other occasions where I'm traveling light. Wondering if I should consider a mirrorless camera or a P&S (or just use my phone).

Look at micro 3/4. Olympus and Panasonic. They are very compact and perfect for travels. And great list of lenses.

And you can find very nice bodies for $300~ and lenses $100 ~ $800.

On a 3 week Europe trip, I took Panasonic GX-7 and 12-35mm f2.8 lens (24-70mm equivalent). It's very compact.

And some of the pictures have been blown up to 24x36.

I don't know much about Fuji but I also use Sony mirrorless. Sony bodies are smaller than DSLR bodies but the lenses do not provide any size advantages and they're more costly.
AZAG08
AG
Agree on the micro 4/3. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I picked up an Olympus M5 for the very reason of having something smaller as a supplement to my DSLR
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.