Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,556 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He wanted it Friday from Amazon. With bag and tripod.

I would buy the body and the lenses separately.
dubi
AG
Plus he could have read the previous posts about real estate photography and did not......
Premium
AG
dubi said:

Plus he could have read the previous posts about real estate photography and did not......

I scanned through, but it's like a foreign language. I just want to buy looking at the pictures
dubi
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-80D-Professional-Accessory/dp/B06XDVD3JJ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1503457610&sr=8-7&keywords=80d

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-3-5-4-5-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503457659&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+10-22mm

dubi
AG
Tripod

Tons of options and many inexpensive choices. I like this has a monopod option; I use that on mine.
Premium
AG
Guitarsoup said:

For your uses, resolution doesn't matter, but color and dynamic range will greatly matter. On both, Nikon is significantly better than Canon, as is Sony.

KEH has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. Easily the best used camera seller. I also regularly buy used, most recently my Nikon 14-24mm 2.8.

Canon 6D version 1 will run you about $1k used.
Canon 5D Mark II is in the $800 range.

Nikon D600 is also about $800 and probably what I would recommend. This has dual card slots, which is nice so if a card is corrputed, your data is safe on card #2. It did have some shutter issues early in life, but Nikon will fix for free.
Nikon D610 is about $1200 and really the same camera as a 600.
D750 run in the 1200-1400 range. Definitely the camera to get as a stretch goal.

Sony has some nice offerings, but I am not as familiar. Finding support for Sony is much more difficult than Canon or Nikon.

As far as lenses, the way you can go would vary. I would probably get a Rokinon 14mm 2.8. It is cheap (3-400) as wide as you would want but manual focus. For architecture, not really a big deal. Also important is a good tripod so you can have level shots. For everyday lens with the kids, probably a Tamron 24-70 2.8 or the like. You also would probably want an ultrawide zoom. Tokina also has a 17-35mm that runs about 400 used.

D600 - 800
14mm Rokinon 400
17-35 Tokina 400
24-70 Tamron 900
----------------------------

Doesn't include a tripod, which I would highly suggest for real estate, but that's a pretty great lineup for your needs. Then eventually save up to upgrade to a D750 (they will drop in price) or add a 70-200.

If I got a D750 do I need other more expensive lenses and accessories to pair with? What kind of extras are we looking at compared to an 80D?

I don't mind the bump in camera cost if it's way better but I'm also curious if there are drawbacks - flash, for example not built in - or any other drawbacks...
Premium
AG
dubi said:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-80D-Professional-Accessory/dp/B06XDVD3JJ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1503457610&sr=8-7&keywords=80d

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-3-5-4-5-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503457659&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+10-22mm

Thanks, that lens...is that primarily what interior shots are taken with in the real estate world? Also exterior?
tk for tu juan
I have a 70D with the 18-135mm kit lens that I could sell you for $600. I used it for two track meets then upgraded to the 7D mkII for the faster frames per second. The 70D has been sitting in the box since last year.

Edit: Photo of camera

dubi
AG
I'm interested if OP is not.
Premium
AG
tk for tu juan said:

I have a 70D with the 18-135mm kit lens that I could sell you for $600. I used it for two track meets then upgraded to the 7D mkII for the faster frames per second. The 70D has been sitting in the box since last year.

Location?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Premium said:

And just for reference, got a $250 extra trip charge to our Galveston house on top of the regular fee from Shoot to Sell.
Just for reference, their trip charge is more than I would have charged you for the entire shoot, and my images are better.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Premium said:

dubi said:

Thanks, that lens...is that primarily what interior shots are taken with in the real estate world? Also exterior?
Yes, for interiors. Get the 70D from tk and the Canon 10-22. Then get a good tripod and the Photographer's package of CC that includes lightroom and photoshop. Don't use the wide lens for exteriors. The kit lens will be fine for what you're trying to do. Keep your verticals straight. You're good to go.

tk for tu juan
Premium said:

tk for tu juan said:

Location?

I'm in Katy, and most weekends in the fall in College Station
dubi
AG
Premium said:

dubi said:

I shoot sports, cars, and underwater fishies. So honestly I can't tell you what lens is used for real estate.

I can tell you that it is great at a car show! :-)

Quote:

Yes, for interiors. Get the 70D from tk and the Canon 10-22. Then get a good tripod and the Photographer's package of CC that includes lightroom and photoshop. Don't use the wide lens for exteriors. The kit lens will be fine for what you're trying to do. Keep your verticals straight. You're good to go.

Straight from the real estate photographer!
dubi
AG
Honestly, it will rent significantly better with professional shots. Give Gramercy Riffs a few free nights during the week in exchange for photos. Problem solved.

FYI: Getting a new camera and a nice lens <> great photos.
Guitarsoup
AG
So if you haven't paid much attention, the new Nikon D850 is going to be a MONSTER.

$3295
46 Megapickles.
8K video
D5 autofocus - 153 AF points, 130% of coverage compared to D810
Center AF point is EV-4
No AA filter
Flip screen (3.2", 2.36million pixels)
XQD+SD Dual Card
Bluetooth + WIFI
30fps at 8MP with electronic shutter
ISO 32 to 108,400
7fps without grip, 9fps with grip, 10fps in crop mode
.75x viewfinder (largest ever on a Nikon camera - D800 was .70)
51 RAW burst in 14-bit raw
S, M, L RAW (yet to be seen if the smaller RAWs keep their color fidelity)
dubi
AG
Have you ordered one?
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

Have you ordered one?
I have two shelves of gear I have to sell before I can buy new stuff. So not yet.

And that doesn't include a few things I have loaned out.

I am also considering selling all my lighting equipment and going with a different (more streamlined) system.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Will you post stuff here if you end up selling?
bthotugigem05
AG
Phenomenal specs and I thought they would be charging much more for it. Absolute monster and I'd guess that means that sensor will be part of the a7rIII next year as well.
Premium
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Premium said:

dubi said:

So his $600 for a 70d is $1000 cheaper than the 80d for the same setup/lens package. I'm guessing the 80d isn't $1000 better?
bthotugigem05
AG
That's 8K timelapse, not video, though right?
dubi
AG
Quote:

dubi
AG
Quote:

So his $600 for a 70d is $1000 cheaper than the 80d for the same setup/lens package. I'm guessing the 80d isn't $1000 better?

80D is $1200
70D (used) is $600

it is $600 cheaper.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Will you post stuff here if you end up selling?
Stuff I have to sell:

Canon 14mm 2.8L I (with metal lens protector thingy)
Canon 45mm 2.8 TS-E Tilt Shift (with hood)
Canon 16-35mm 2.8L II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS I (with case, two hoods, tripod ring)
Canon 300mm 2.8L IS I (w/ Don Zeck lens cap, case, hood with working lock, no leather cap)
Canon 400mm 2.8L IS I (w/ Don Zeck lens cap, case, hood, with working lock, leather cap, has gaff tape around hood, but was unscratched before gaff tape added)
Sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro lens with hood and case (not the OS version) with 1.4x and 2.0x
Lensbaby for Canon
2x 580EX II flashes
Fuji X100s with box, like new, used just a handful of times
Canon GP-E2, never used with box (I think)
Canon right angle view finder, used just a handful of times
Think Tank Shape Shifter with Canon Logo
Mamiya 645AFD with 120/220 back and 80mm 2.8 autofocus lens
Pocket Wizard TT5+TT5+TT1 set for Canon
Four Pocket Wizards, one transmitter, one transceiver, two receivers
Two Elinchrom Rangers 1100 watt/seconds with two S heads, three batteries and one charger
Nine Elinchrom D-Lite 400 watt/second monolights

If I get all that stuff out, I bet I can find more stuff that I want to get rid of, too.
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Someone else has had my 16-35 for at least twice as long as you have had my 70-200
dubi
AG
Quote:

Canon 400mm 2.8L IS I
OMG, i want this! But I'm too cheap to buy it.
Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Phenomenal specs and I thought they would be charging much more for it. Absolute monster and I'd guess that means that sensor will be part of the a7rIII next year as well.

Quote:

That's 8K timelapse, not video, though right?

Sony doesn't make all of Nikon's sensors. Nikon made their own D4/s/Df sensor and I think the D5/D500. This is based on the D5/500 architecture.

I don't know about timelapse/video, but the previous Nikons could do 8K timelapse, so I think it is video.
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

Honestly, it will rent significantly better with professional shots. Give Gramercy Riffs a few free nights during the week in exchange for photos. Problem solved.

FYI: Getting a new camera and a nice lens <> great photos.
This.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Guitarsoup-

I assume your pocket wizards are for Canon? I shoot a Nikon.

How much you selling the lights for?
Guitarsoup
AG
The TT5 and TT1 are Canon specific. The other ones are fairly old and are brand agnostic. They work on any camera, except some Sonys, because some Sonys don't have the right hot shoe.

Lights, no clue. They are not the newest model, some have Elinchrom's transmitter system built in, others don't.

The Rangers are old and don't have any transmitter system built in, but are built like freaking tanks. They are even (mostly) waterproof. It is a pack and head system. They are not RX, but I always triggered them with the Pocket Wizards or Phottix Stratos IIs I mainly use. So older model of this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/364093-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10267KITS_Ranger_RX_AS_1100.html

Pack controls the light, power/etc. Don't need to plug in anywhere and can use them in the sand/water/etc.

The DLites are older than the current model. Some have the Elinchrom transmitter system built in, others do not. I have several of these 2-light packs: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247567-REG/elinchrom_el20839_2_d_lite_rx_4_4_softbox.html

Then a few extra lights. I'd have to dig through my light kit to know exactly how many I have. I mainly use them for corporate shoots. When I do headshots for a company, I set up multiple backdrops and have multiple stations. So I can quickly shoot an environmental portraits, on grey, on white and on black without moving any lights. Maximize options, minimize time the executives have to be out of the office.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Premium said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Premium said:

dubi said:

I don't know anything about the 80D, but I've shot over 100 properties with the 70D with no complaints. No reason to spend more either way if you're only looking to shoot your own rentals.

I use an 11-16mm lens with that camera, but if I had to start over, I'd probably go with the 10-22.

For your exteriors, get the kit lens and walk across the street, or if it's a canal street, shoot the deck from the other side of the water. The wide lens can get everything in the frame, but you'll have some distortion that you can avoid by changing lenses. The house will typically look better if you take advantage of the extra room outside and back up a bit.

Are your Galveston houses on stilts?
Premium
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

80D is $1200
70D (used) is $600

it is $600 cheaper.

Same lens poster has w/70d?;

Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilization USM Lens (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUYJX6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YeBNzbY8R1EEY
Premium
AG
tk for tu juan said:

When/where could we meet? I'm up 45 North basically in The Woodlands.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Same lens poster has w/70d?;

$600 (used 70D which comes with kit lens) + $649 (Canon 10-22 lens) = $1,249
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.