Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,358 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How about a discount for locals?
FTAG 2000
AG
Way overdue to post from my trip to Iceland with my new D750, and it's not exactly the Milky Way, but hopefully no one minds.

Sorry for the Inception-style perspective on this. This thing spanned horizon to horizon, and crossed the sky directly above us. Had to get a bit creative with the camera to capture it all.

They actually call this phenomena with the ribbon jet across the sky "steve", and it's apparently pretty rare to see.

https://www.space.com/36583-new-aurora-feature-named-steve-investigated.html

dubi
AG
Amazing!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you are the only holdout!

The ONLY reason I probably wouldn't use film for wedding photography (if I did that) would be storage of negatives. Digital has come a long way but it still isn't quite there for the true warmth of film shot by a pro with good equipment -- especially for large prints. YES, you can print digital images very nicely but there's just something about film for those of us that appreciate it.
studioone
i have about 2.5 million individual negatives in my garage...

d
studioone
so who does and who does not collect sales tax?
dubi
AG
I do collect sales tax. SmugMug does it for me.
wee_ag
AG
studioone said:

I usually include it in my pricing and make it a round number for the client.
Guitarsoup
AG
wee_ag said:

studioone said:

FWIW, Texas really likes sales tax to be it's own line item. Obviously not everyone is in Texas
wee_ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

wee_ag said:

studioone said:

FWIW, Texas really likes sales tax to be it's own line item. Obviously not everyone is in Texas
HMM - I'm in NY. I have to pay sales tax annually and simply list my sales and pay the 8% sales tax that is owed the state. I guess if I get audited it might make things a little hairy, but my sales are < $5000 a year so I'm hoping I'm at a low risk for that.

Also, Guitar... would love your thoughts on my early business advice request post (bottom of previous page).
Guitarsoup
AG
I'll get to it but my next five days are Beyond packed. I'm just now leaving to go home from a wedding. It is kind of a long answer type question because there's so many routes you can take or possibilities. Bottom line is that at current pricing it's not really worth your time in my opinion. It's certainly not a profitable weight when you consider gear time Etc
wee_ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'll get to it but my next five days are Beyond packed. I'm just now leaving to go home from a wedding. It is kind of a long answer type question because there's so many routes you can take or possibilities. Bottom line is that at current pricing it's not really worth your time in my opinion. It's certainly not a profitable weight when you consider gear time Etc
Thanks for the quick thoughts - I look forward to discussing it more if you get the time when you are back home.
eric76
AG
Are Hasselblads worth updating with a digital cameraback?
studioone
eric76 said:

Are Hasselblads worth updating with a digital cameraback?
i wouldn't think so...

I have a sinar/leaf back for the hassy.... cost $40,000, 6 megapixel... super duper.. for 2001... I bought one of the first digital cameras in texas...

and i have no idea where it is... boxed up somewhere.. it DID pay for itself many times over, but i haven't used it in probably 10 years..

unless you're doing billboards, stick to 35mm..

i have like 5 hassy's sitting on my shelf of cameras.... the lenses for the 5 are a 40, 50, 80, 80, and a 150... and i have a 250 behind them.. haven't used a blad in 6-7 years..
Guitarsoup
AG
I did tons of billboards with the 10MP Canon 1D3. You don't need resolution for that.

Get digital backs for big landscape (Peter Lik-type) or fine portraits (Fashion-type)
fig96
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I did tons of billboards with the 10MP Canon 1D3. You don't need resolution for that.

Get digital backs for big landscape (Peter Lik-type) or fine portraits (Fashion-type)
Yup, I've designed several billboards and they're shockingly low res.
dubi
AG
When taking eclipse pictures on August 21st, do I need to use a filter on my lens?

I already have eclipse glasses to protect my eyes.....
labmansid
dubi said:

When taking eclipse pictures on August 21st, do I need to use a filter on my lens?

If you are shooting any of the partial phases, you should use a proper filter if pointed towards the sun. During totality, you don't want a filter on your lens. You will want to capture as much of the faint corona as possible, as well as any prominences on the edge, during totality. If you won't be in a location that experiences any of the total phase at all, you should use a filter to protect your equipment and your eyes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
dubi said:

Yes, you will fry your sensor if you don't. You need to get solar film.

For the transit of Venus a few years back, I used welding visor glass bc most places were sold out of solar film. Welding glass works, but it's not perfectly smooth, so your focus might be off. It also makes the sun green, so you'd have to color correct.

Make sure you focus using live view, or tether to a laptop. Don't look through the viewfinder!

EDIT: to add that it should be #14 welder's glass
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

dubi said:

If you are shooting any of the partial phases, you should use a proper filter if pointed towards the sun. During totality, you don't want a filter on your lens. You will want to capture as much of the faint corona as possible, as well as any prominences on the edge, during totality. If you won't be in a location that experiences any of the total phase at all, you should use a filter to protect your equipment and your eyes.

Will this work? ND 1000 77mm filter

If not, link please!

bthotugigem05
AG
That one is 10-stops, I think you need at least 16 but I'm not an expert by any means.
TexasAggie_02
AG
do not use an ND filter!

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html
Quote:

The Sun can be viewed directly only when using filters specifically designed for this purpose. Such filters usually have a thin layer of aluminum, chromium or silver deposited on their surfaces that attenuates ultraviolet, visible, and infrared energy. One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing is a number 14 welder's glass, available through welding supply outlets. More recently, aluminized mylar has become a popular, inexpensive alternative. Mylar can easily be cut with scissors and adapted to any kind of box or viewing device.
Quote:

Unsafe filters include color film, some non-silver black and white film, medical x-ray films with images on them, smoked glass, photographic neutral density filters and polarizing filters. Solar filters designed to thread into eyepieces which are often sold with inexpensive telescopes are also dangerous. They should not be used for viewing the Sun at any time since they often crack from overheating
TexasAggie_02
AG
dubi
AG
Solar film ordered from Ebay
MBAR
AG
You're a bit late in the game to be getting the supplies. Make sure whatever you get is in stock and will ship in time otherwise you're wasiting your money. I got some inexpensive paper filters with film on B&H and they threw in solar glasses for free.
dubi
AG
MBAR said:

You're a bit late in the game to be getting the supplies. Make sure whatever you get is in stock and will ship in time otherwise you're wasiting your money. I got some inexpensive paper filters with film on B&H and they threw in solar glasses for free.

In stock and delivered on August 7th.

I already have the glasses.
dubi
AG
Formatt Hitech 77mm Firecrest Neutral Density 5.4 Solar Eclipse Filter (18-Stops)

Simply out of curiousity, this is an 18 stop ND filter that is marketed as a "solar eclipse filter". Will that work?
TexasAggie_02
AG
i think the issue is that ND filters don't have to coatings to block anything other than visible light. you will be blocking some UV light with something that dark, but you are going to have to increase your exposure, which will increase the amount of UV light.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Camera question for the experts. I have a chance to get the following two used cameras if I want one of them. We don't take many pictures but figured we might take a lot more with our 2 month old. My initial thought is the Canon b/c well it's cheaper because of family. Any input about good/bad for either one is appreciated.

Nikon 18-55 mm D3000 - $350: comes with charger, bag, SD card and manual. Claim the shutter count is 3015 (I have no idea if that's important).

Canon EOS Rebel T2i - $100-150: This is from the SIL and she's traveled a bunch and taken a lot of pictures. Lens is the one that came with the camera (18-55mm)
Guitarsoup
AG
The D3000 is worth about $100, if that. The T2i is a better camera. Both are several generations outdated and you would probably get as good or better pics with your iPhone 7 or Google Pixel.

If you scroll through my Facebook or Instagram (or my wife's) 99% of what you see is just with our phones and we have something ~7 pro cameras at our disposal.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The D3000 is worth about $100, if that. The T2i is a better camera. Both are several generations outdated and you would probably get as good or better pics with your iPhone 7 or Google Pixel.

If you scroll through my Facebook or Instagram (or my wife's) 99% of what you see is just with our phones and we have something ~7 pro cameras at our disposal.
Thanks Gsoup. I was on the fence as I new they were older. Might just save the money and use the phones.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Who here hikes with camera equipment? I've got a great lowepro bag that works for holding a lot of gear to transport back and forth. But i really like to do landscapes and the last hiking I did was through Zion national park and current pack was woefully inadequate. I'm thinking I could probably get an actual hiking bag and then stick a padded camera insert in it to carry my gear. I'm not a hardcore hiker so probably no multi-day trips, but maybe a one nighter so would need enough room to carry some food, jackets, dry socks, maybe a blanket. Anyone got any recommendations?
Guitarsoup
AG
Think Tank Streetwalker HD

This has been my go to backpack for 6-7 years. Great straps and padding. It can has a waist strap, but can accept a Think Tank Speed Steroid Belt for added waist support.

It has an attachment for a tripod on the back of the bag and with a camera + a couple lenses, there is still plenty of room for clothes/snacks. I use it that way regularly. It can even hold big lenses like a 400 2.8, but you wouldn't really guess that by looking at it.
MBAR
AG
This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VLLTCI8

Holds several lenses, two bodies, and my go pro stuff.
flintdragon
AG
is the DSLR market tanking? I was trying to sell some of my cheaper lenses recently and prices seem to have plummeted. Couldn't give one away for free it seems.

In the market to sell my 70-200 2.8 non-IS for an IS version. prices are like down $200 since last I checked.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.