Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

417,236 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When using this lens, put it in live view and zoom in to 5x or 10x on something such as the edge of the building. Then adjust the focus until you have it how you want it and turn off live view because it will eat your battery.
MBAR
AG
Guitarsoup said:

When using this lens, put it in live view and zoom in to 5x or 10x on something such as the edge of the building. Then adjust the focus until you have it how you want it and turn off live view because it will eat your battery.
Its usually too dark for edges to show up well defined for me which is why I use either very bright stars or some type of light on the horizon (radio tower etc)
Guitarsoup
AG
A flash light works wonders.
MBAR
AG
Wow I feel ******ed for never thinking of that.
Guitarsoup
AG
That's how I focused on the couple for this pic this weekend. My assistant held a flashlight and after I locked focus, told him to turn it off. Click.

labmansid
AggieDruggist89 said:

Well, guitar hand holds 400mm 2.8.

I sometimes handhold 300mm 2.8 but also use a monopod. I definitely handhold 70-200mm 2.8 but it's also not a walkaround lens.

For indoor sports, I have used 85mm f1.8 and 70-200.
I often handhold my 500mm f4, just takes some practice and getting used to. It does cause an interesting side effect.

MBAR
AG
Would anyone here be willing to share photo spots? I'm trying to create a google map of places I want to shoot at in the state.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I'm always a bit disappointed with my Milkyway shots.

I couldn't get to the location I was trying to go... Mt. Lassen Hwy 89 is still closed due to snow. I will try again in August new moon. There are many interesting foregrounds for the shot and the area faces South that overlooks CA Central Valley.

Canon 5DSR, Samyang 14mm f2.8, iso 4000, shutter 25 seconds.

bthotugigem05
AG
I'd be shocked if that lens was made to resolve to a 50MP camera honestly, I've tried its Sony version on my a7rII and was happy in the center of the image but not much else.

And, btw, those shots look great to me!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Thanks...

It's dark, cold... late... and hard to blame anyone/anything but me.

Will try time lapse next month.. will also attempt to stitch shots to get the Panoramic Milkyway shots..

But I never even thought about the lens not being able to resolve 50mp. Now I will be wondering if I need a new lens. You suck.
bthotugigem05
AG
Will happily take the 5DSR off your hands while you go looking for a 6D
labmansid
Those are great shots to me, nice processing. Looks like you had some nice dark skies.

I'm trying to come up with someplace near B/CS that has some decent foreground subject before the moon starts to interfere again.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Here's the light pollution map.

It really is very dark.

AggieDruggist89
AG
See what you've done..

MBAR
AG
You did better than I did this weekend. I couldn't get away from the area, so my skies aren't very dark and my foreground selection is miserable. At least I get to practice my post processing though.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Oh man....I love your foreground. There's a lot to be said about flatland. It's difficult to find an open area in the mountanions national forest.
rodan85
AG
MBAR
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Oh man....I love your foreground. There's a lot to be said about flatland. It's difficult to find an open area in the mountanions national forest.
When I lived in NM I never shot from the mountains. That was just when i was getting into photography. But I did do some shooting from the high plains. I miss it.
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

See what you've done..

Are you blaming someone or just shouting at the lens gods?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Both?

I ended up with an Olympus 7-14mm f2.8. Since u43 is my primary system.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Been a while since I owned a ultra wide zoom. Had Canon 17-40 while back but I thought I was done with landscape and never had any interest in astrophotos or architecture.

Guitarsoup
AG
Gotta pull cameras out for TSA from now on.

This will be fun when I fly with a laptop and 5-6 cameras.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/
AZAG08
AG
Quote:

Also, if you are enrolled in TSA's PreCheck program, you won't be required to remove cameras and other electronics from your bag
Time for me to quit being lazy and get PreCheck
studioone

in case everyones switched to digital, if you have any OLD, and i mean OLD (pre-wwII ) cameras you dont want, email me at darrin@avalonweddingsbcs.com
dubi
AG
studioone said:

in case everyones switched to digital, if you have any OLD, and i mean OLD (pre-wwII ) cameras you dont want, email me at darrin@avalonweddingsbcs.com
Darrin,

I'm pretty sure you are the only holdout!

Sincerely, Dubi
TexasAggie_02
AG
studioone said:

carrier pigeons or GTFO
bthotugigem05
AG
Any of you Nikkoners excited about the D850?
Guitarsoup
AG
XQD+SD plus tilt screen will be nice. I don't really need all those pixels. I rarely use my D800 as it is. When they drop in price and used ones start showing up, I'll probably upgrade and let my D800 become a backup.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I believe my Olympus e-pm2 is smaller than my Samsung Note 4.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/

Mmmm. ..do you have to put 1 body per tray???
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Mmmm. ..do you have to put 1 body per tray???
I've been *****ed at for putting more than one thing in the laptop tray, so maybe.

One for shoes + jacket, one for laptop, one for each camera
studioone
Dubi, do you read EVERY forum on mybcs?
dubi
AG
studioone said:

Dubi, do you read EVERY forum on mybcs?
All the forums you read......
wee_ag
AG
NEED BUSINESS ADVICE
So every year or two I get into a massive debate with myself on how to charge for my portrait photography time and products (I've probably even posted here before about it).

My situation: I work full-time and use photography as a side business. I live in a low population vacation area in Upstate New York (less then 5,000 in the entire COUNTY). The local residents don't have a lot of money, but the tourists tend to be on the 'better off' side and my clients consist of both. There are a couple of other photographers in the area, but I'm about the only one that does portraits (seniors, family, reunions, anniversary, etc). I currently charge a sitting fee of $75 for up to two hours of on location photo time - online gallery of watermarked images included. I also offer prints for purchase at the following prices:

The issue is how to price fairly for myself and the client in such a rural area that has transient money. The most pressing question is how much to charge for full resolution images (I have clients waiting for a response from me right now). Online research says to charge $10+ per digital image... I know my clients, and there is NO WAY they would pay that much, especially when I include all the quality photos from the session (50-100). People don't splurge on portraits like they do for weddings so I can't use that as a measuring stick.

So, advice? Are my current prices way too low? How do you price digital images in my demographic?

TL;DNR - How much to charge for clicky-clicky of people
dubi
AG
I am a total amateur and charge $10 for a full size image download that I take a shooting matches. I sell on smugmug.
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.