***** Official Star Citizen Thread *****

23,673 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Dark_Knight
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Updates keep coming - Trailer released for improved first person.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-trailer-shows-off-pretty-first-person-shooting
bearamedic99
AG
I'm thinking about buying a basic pkg for this game. do you suffer a penalty when your ship is destroyed?
NewOldAg
AG
Not yet. Once the full game is released ships that are blown up will be gone. But it'll be like Eve Online, lots of ship options purchasable in game with in game money. Player filled market where you can build the ships then sell them or use them.
Plus, now you get two different free ships each week. Pretty fun.
tamusc
AG
There will also be options for insurance on the ships for replacement if they get blown up. The game packs all come with at least 3 months of insurance from whenever the persistent universe portion of the game officially launches.

There are likely to be some big announcements planned for this weekend during Citizen Con.
NewOldAg
AG
True. Right now the game is more shoot up a bunch of stuff and enjoy the beauty of space.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, the small system currently available is gorgeous and fun to just fly around sightseeing in between a few missions.

My guess for Citizen Con is that 2.6 (which will finally introduce the standalone FPS combat "game" within the game, Star Marine) will launch either during or soon after. I also think that we'll get a release date for the single player campaign, Squadron 42, which my guess will be early next year. Some of the recent leaks and data mining efforts have shown a TON of assests that CIG has been working on and the single player portion won't require some of the systems that the persistent universe will. I think everything required for SQ42 from a tech standpoint will be in Alpha 3.0 and we already know that their internal QA has played through all the missions.
Azariah
AG
I'm also thinking about getting into this game. Does it work with the Vive?
tamusc
AG
Azariah said:

I'm also thinking about getting into this game. Does it work with the Vive?

Early versions did, but with all the modifications they've made to CryEngine (basically built it out into a new engine) it broke that engine's VR support. They have commented on VR repeatedly and will be adding it back in sometime next year. In fact, they hired several engineers specifically to implement VR.
tamusc
AG
The big CitizenCon presentation is streaming live now. They are doing raffles during the live streams for ships as well.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15536-CitizenCon-2946-Details

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen
tamusc
AG
Full CitizenCon 2016 Presentation

Most of the first hour is road map stuff. They also showed off some of their new web, communication and launcher platform called Spectrum. Think Steam, but with much more integrated chat, voice communication and forums.

Jump to about 1:25:00 in to see a really impressive, extensive demo of the procedural planet generation tech v2.0 including showing off a few different planets and some highly interactive alien life.

Jump to 1:54:29 for a really fun surprise at the end of the main demo

The last bit of the demo is a look at how they use their procedural generation tech to aid their artists in building massive amounts of artist guided content rather than the much more random stuff you saw in NMS.
wee_ag
AG
wee_ag
AG
Quote:

Jump to 1:54:29 for a really fun surprise at the end of the main demo
tamusc
AG
wee_ag said:

Ha! I hadn't seen that yet and was wondering why I had so many more ships than I remembered when I just logged on to mess around.
wee_ag
AG
MOAR!!

Explore the Star Citizen Universe in the new online map.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap
SF2004
AG
They hyped up a big reveal of SQ42... but then crawfished at the last minute saying "it just isn't ready yet".

100+ million dollars and it isn't ready to demo.

Big surprise with this company... well maybe not. Maybe they can sell more ships.
NewOldAg
AG
For $45, what they offer is a pretty good deal. I'm fine with getting to play the current package and waiting for the rest.
tamusc
AG
Meh, they'll just show it next month for the Anniversary live stream in November.

Also, I think we've gotten far too used to publishers pushing out half finished, buggy games and then completing them via paid DLC and patches months or even years after the fact.

Blizzard might be the exception to that rule and take years longer than most others would to make sure their games are as polished as an unreleased game can possibly be.

I think the wait will be worth it for SC and SQ42. In the mean time, it's fun messing around with the content available while also helping make it a better game through the Issue Council.
tamusc
AG
NewOldAg said:

For $45, what they offer is a pretty good deal. I'm fine with getting to play the current package and waiting for the rest.
Exactly, people get far too caught up in the "You have to spend big money to play this game" when it's just not true.
NewOldAg
AG
$45 for a game that is 5x more valuable than a game on steam for the same price, makes it a great deal. Especially with all the new planets and content coming out this winter, the Alpha testing for SC will surpass No Man's Sky complete game.
tamusc
AG
NewOldAg said:

$45 for a game that is 5x as valuable than a game on steam for the same price. Especially with all the new planets and content coming out this winter, the Alpha testing for SC will surpass No Man's Sky complete game.
Yeah, they've been focus on developing the tools and technology for the last few years (by hiring a ton of former CryTek engineers, hence the Frankfurt office opening just last year) to build their vision. The next few months will really start to show off the investment they put into that tech.
wee_ag
AG
SF2004 said:

They hyped up a big reveal of SQ42... but then crawfished at the last minute saying "it just isn't ready yet".

100+ million dollars and it isn't ready to demo.

Big surprise with this company... well maybe not. Maybe they can sell more ships.
Did you watch the tech demos with live gameplay? Have you played the free fly weekends? Have you talked with actual game players (like many in this thread)? You're welcome to your opinions but most of us that have played the game completely disagree with you Kilrathi pot-bangers. Game-making takes time, I don't know any investors that are disappointed at this point.
AtlAg05
AG
I think everyone understands you don't like the game. Why do you insist on coming back and reminding everyone?

If someone wants to put money towards the game, that's their decision.
SF2004
AG
AtlAg05 said:

I think everyone understands you don't like the game. Why do you insist on coming back and reminding everyone?

If someone wants to put money towards the game, that's their decision.
I never said I didn't like the game, in fact if it ever drops I will probably pick it up. Its a space sim and I like them.

However, it is comical that the same crowd hates EA/Activision/preorders but loves feeding their money to Chris Roberts for false promises and feature creep. Three words... DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

Chris Roberts has never finished a game on his own, all of his work the big money guys had to step in and force it out. Do some research on this guy. He is taking PC gamers for a ride.

This game already is the sixth most expensive game to make in history, and all they have are promises and tech demos. Also a lot of expensive jpegs that people have purchased of ships.

The company is in a state that they have to continue to put resources into more crap to sell than finishing the game.
tamusc
AG
I've played every single Wing Commander game, Starlancer and Freelancer. I'd say I'm pretty familiar with Chris Roberts including the disaster that was the Microsoft purchase of Digital Anvil.

I'll be the first to admit that the overall process has taken longer than I thought it would, but the game suffered heavily from scope creep, mostly due to the sheer response from the gaming community that allowed Chris to truly build the game he envisioned rather than the one he originally thought he could get funded. That massive response sent the team back to rethink the entire project, which resulted in much more R&D than they ever planned. As I said in my earlier post, that R&D is resulting in the tools they showed off in the Citizencon stream that is allowing them to build something that no one else has.

From a time perspective, the original Kickstarter was four years ago, so even if you put that as the start date of this project, it really hasn't been that long for a game of this scope.
tamusc
AG
Also, I not really sure what you consider a demo, but here's the 30 minute Planetary v2 tech demo in 60FPS.

wee_ag
AG
tamusc said:

Also, I not really sure what you consider a demo, but here's the 30 minute Planetary v2 tech demo in 60FPS.

"But I can't play it and Chris Roberts is a poo-poo head!"
- SF2004 probably
NewOldAg
AG
Hey he's got his points for those that are dropping thousands of dollars on the game. They're banking a lot on a completed game.
However, my point of $45 game access is still a better investment than half the stuff on Steam is just as valid.

I've spent $45 and flown ships that cost triple that for free. They give you every opportunity to fly new stuff for free. If you've got the money, got the rig, give it a whirl. Just be warned the game might never be complete.
NewOldAg
AG
Guys we've got to get a crew rolling for the Starfarer. That thing is a behemoth.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Kbass, which ship do you have? I know it's one of the carriers
thaed137
AG
I've looked at some videos and read some but still a little confused on this game. So My understanding:

1) It is in its Alpha stage and is being updated as they finish more. $45 gets you a ship and access along with full game when it comes out.

2) The game itself is a open world game where you can choose like a career to make money. You use that money to buy bigger and better ships to explore and complete missions.

Is this a solo game or do you play it more like an mmorpg?

I see mentions that your ship can be destroyed. Does this mean if I start a mission and get killed, I'll have to buy another ship or will I have access to my original one at some home base/spaceport? If I do have to buy a new one every time one dies is that hard to do with in game currency or is that how they push you to spend real money? I see you guys say people have already spent thousands of dollars? Are there that many ships or are they that expensive?

Thanks for input guys.
NewOldAg
AG
Ya, it's a sandbox mmorp in Alpha testing. Best way to answer your questions is to break the game down by Current and Finished product.

Currently:
Game is open to as much flying and shooting and exploring the current space without penalty. Meaning if you die or your ship blows up then you'll get it back in about 5 minutes, or use in-game money to instantly get it back. Usually the price is 1/5 of a missions payout.

Free ships are also opened up pretty regularly so the $45 minimum really is a great deal.

Finished Product:
The game will closely resemble a first person Eve: Online. Where players mine the materials, use industrial bases to build with the materials, then use or sell the ships on a free, player filled market.

These ships, once blown up, are gone. However, using *in game* currency, one can purchase a new ship. Since the whole game is based on ships, it won't be difficult to do.

TL;DNR: Currently: Shoot stuff without penalty, worth $45.
tamusc
AG
In addition to the more sandbox MMO portion, there will be a more traditional single player/coop campaign called Squadron 42 that ties into the larger MMO game from a story standpoint.
kbassil
AG
I've got a big boy ship for whenever we all want to roll. I think it holds 4 or 5, and has a combat ship docked within it.
NewOldAg
AG
Heck ya. Add me, Imperalias_Cordonis. I'll be your wingman anytime.
tamusc
AG
Nice article discussing the open development process and the various pros and cons of that approach.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-14-the-merits-of-star-citizens-development-openness

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.