***** Official Star Citizen Thread *****

23,687 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Dark_Knight
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What computer specs are necessary? I've got a upper middle class machine, but definitely not a 4K graphics gamer.
Minimum system requirements: Windows 7 or 8 64-bit
Dual Core CPU Intel: Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz or AMD: Phenom X2
8GB of RAM
DirectX 11 capable GPU: NVidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5850

Recommended system requirements: Windows 7 or 8 64-bit
Quad core CPU: i5 2500, i7 2600, 2700
DirectX 11 capable GPU: GTX 670 or greater

And for a smooth experience at Maximum settings at 1080p, a R9 290x, GTX 780 (or 970) will be required (a GTX 770/680/R9 280x will likely therefore likely achieve high comfortably). For a decent 4K experience, a pair of mid-high end cards (680/770 7970/280x or better) or a newer high end card (GTX 980 Ti or AMD Fiji etc) will be required.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/15249/guide-to-pc-gaming-hardware/p1
Texas Red
AG
The open nature of RSI's development has met my expectations, as Star Citizen is quite the ambitious project. I've pledged for a Carrack, Herald, Archimedes, and Aurora LX and look forward to seeing some of you around the 'verse.

Texas Red - ProtoJ
wee_ag
AG
Alpha 2.2 released

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15218-Star-Citizen-Alpha-22-Available
wee_ag
AG
Double post.
tamusc
AG
Nice! Enjoying the Sabre, not quite the sports car that the Gladius is, but hits quite a bit harder.

Really hoping the Khartu-al (flyable) and Starfarer (at least hangar ready) make 2.3. I would guess the Reliant Kor at least makes it to hangar ready in 2.3 based on some of the recent updates.
tamusc
AG
Free fly until March 20th for anyone that wants to check it out.

Just create an account and download the game here.

Use my referral code STAR-DNDY-JMCG (or anyone else's) and you'll get 5,000 extra in game credits should you decide to buy the game.
tamusc
AG
More info on the current patch andFree Fly, which includes every flyable ship currently available in the Alpha, until March 20th.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15239-Roundup-Free-Fly-221-Patch-And-Other-Updates
NewOldAg
AG
Good move on RSI. I'll check it out in a few days and use your referral code!
tamusc
AG
Some cool videos released the last few days.

Squadron 42: Behind the Scenes - Andy Serkis
tamusc
AG
Great in depth look at one of the first "big" ships that will be flyable in game. This ship's purpose in game is primarily as a fuel production and transport ship. It can gather the fuel components and turn them into fuel itself as it has a refining module. It can also be fitted to be just a bulk cargo hauler as well. This makes it the first ship that is making it's way into the hands of players that's primary purpose isn't combat or racing.

Ship Shape: Welcome Aboard the Starfarer
wee_ag
AG
New career option - Intergalactic Food Delivery

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15274-Careers-Intergalactic-Food-Delivery

GoneForGood
Got the game today with the Multiplayer addon. I'll DL it once I get home on my gaming rig and see how it plays out. Add me to the list: Thefeelofcotton
tamusc
AG
Another Free Fly from today until April 25th
bearamedic99
AG
I'm interested but which ship to start with? I'd be okay just playing the Squad 42 stuff.
tamusc
AG
You have a couple of options.

You can buy either the Star Citizen + Squadron 42 Combo with either the Aurora MR or the Mustang Alpha for $60 or the Squadron 42 Standalone Pledge for $45 if you want Squadron 42. The combo packs will give you SQ42 and access to the Star Citizen Persistent Universe along with either the Aurora or Mustang as a starter ship. The SQ42 Standalone package will only give you access to Squadron 42, but is the cheapest option now if you're just interested in playing SQ42.

CIG has said that they'll release a $15 upgrade if you get either of the standalone packages to give you access to the part you didn't already buy, but they aren't available for purchase yet. If you want to send the least amount of money now to mess around with the game during the Alpha, my suggestion would be to get either the Aurora MR SC Starter Package or the Mustang Alpha SC Starter Package now and then buy the $15 SQ42 upgrade when it's available. If you don't mind spending $60 now, get either of the combo packs I listed above with the ship of your choice.

Regarding the two starter ships, the Aurora is a little more of a well rounded ship, while the Mustang is faster, more maneuverable and, in my opinion, more fun to fly, though that comes at the cost of being fragile compared to the Aurora.

bearamedic99
AG
People are starting to get refunds for lack of product. I hope the $2500 refund was worth the court costs
bearamedic99
AG
link http://kotaku.com/report-star-citizen-backer-gets-2550-refund-1783699701?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
tamusc
AG
Well, my only response to someone claiming that the game is a "scam" is that there's already more playable content than many games that were supposedly "complete" games that had similar grand vision.

They have free fly periods where people can play the current version of the game for free for several weeks to try it out before buying. In fact, I was actually just looking for this thread to post that Summer Free Fly 2016 has started and anyone that wants to check out the current state of the game (which is still considered in alpha) for a few weeks.

Summer Free Fly 2016
AtlAg05
AG
With all the talk around no mans sky I saw references to this game. Anyone still playing?
SF2004
AG
quote:
With all the talk around no mans sky I saw references to this game. Anyone still playing?
Don't waste your time.

This game is never going to be ready or come out. It is a Alpha that they have manage to dupe people into dropping hundreds if not thousands into.

It looks awesome and that is about it at this point.

When it is "released" and one can just purchase the game and play it I'll revisit. Until then I'm not holding my breath.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't waste your time.

This game is never going to be ready or come out. It is a Alpha that they have manage to dupe people into dropping hundreds if not thousands into.

It looks awesome and that is about it at this point.

When it is "released" and one can just purchase the game and play it I'll revisit. Until then I'm not holding my breath.
While no one can predict the future, I do feel pretty confident in saying that this game will indeed come out. They've made steady progress with every patch. This game really hasn't been in development that long considering the scale and the amount of tech they have had to build from the ground up to support a game as ambitious as this. I'm well aware of Chris Roberts and his penchant for promising grand visions that are then gutted by publishers. However, he's no longer constrained by the whims of the publishers and don't confuse him with Peter Molyneux in that he still delivered highly enjoyable games that I still love to go back and play to this day.

CIG will have their own booth at Gamescom and I would expect some new info to come out of that conference.

I hop on every so often (usually when a new major patch drops) to check out the new systems and play around a bit.

I will say that with the price increase to likely the retail level for the base packages, there isn't a ton of incentive to buy now unless you want to mess around with what's currently available, which is still one of the best space combat sims I've ever played in addition to the growing test system, or you want to support the game.
AtlAg05
AG
It does look like an amazing game with multiple genres to fit most gamers. The challenge is making sure the fps/space sim/planet exploration/etc are all good rather than all being mediocre. If it comes out I'll buy it.

In my brief perusing of the website, I did have one question. It talks about getting in game currency to buy new stuff, has it been mentioned around being able to buy in game currency with real money(microtransactions)?
tamusc
AG
You can buy in game currency now to have when the game launches and to buy certain digital items now, though the amount you can buy is limited.

I'm unsure what the plan for purchasing in game credits will be post launch. The last time CIG talked about it I'm not sure they were decided one way or another either. I think the last plan that they were leaning towards was that they would sell in game credits with fairly low per account caps and possibly limit purchased credits to more cosmetic items. One thing they've been pretty adamant about is that you'll be able to buy anything that's purchasable with earned in game credits.
tamusc
AG
Another Free Fly for Gamescom for anyone that wants to check out the current alpha build through next Monday.

Gamescom Free Fly 2016
AtlAg05
AG
Thanks. Definitely give it a try this weekend.
wee_ag
AG
Version 3.0 was previewed at GamesCon this week... Includes visitable planets/moons with missions.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away
tamusc
AG
quote:
Version 3.0 was previewed at GamesCon this week... Includes visitable planets/moons with missions.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away

Yeah, the nearly one hour long live gameplay demo of 3.0 was very impressive. They are going to expand the existing Alpha system, Stanton, to include multiple planets, plus "a dozen moons" and "30-40 space stations", all of which you can land on and interact with. 3.0 looks to be the first big public release that will have most of the base game systems up and running.

Here's the live gameplay demo video:

And here's the full Gamescom presentation:
AtlAg05
AG
I got on last night for about an hour. Great looking game.

Got in a spaceship and flew around a bit, found out you could space walk. After a moment of panic when I jettisoned 300m away, I found out I had manuvering thrusters and could get back.

Then I discovered the quantum drive to try and complete one of those missions at a comm array. Which turned into a dogfight with pirate ships, I was very ill prepared and ended up blowing up after running into them too many times.

Pretty fun with limited content, not really sure what else there was to do. And wow there are a ton of buttons to learn.
NewOldAg
AG
What's the update on releasing careers and jobs etc?

The planetary entry looks awesome, but what's the objective?
tamusc
AG
quote:
What's the update on releasing careers and jobs etc?

The planetary entry looks awesome, but what's the objective?
3.0 (the build they demoed at Gamescom in the videos I link above) will include the first round of jobs including bounty hunting, trading, mining, cargo, piracy and probably a few others. It's slated for release in earl to mid December, so basically the end of the year.

The objective is to do whatever you want in the persistent universe (PU). Think No Man's Sky, but with crafted planets, factions, NPCs and a much more defined overarching story (not trying to knock No Man's Sky). The single player campaign, Squadron 42 (SQ42) will take place in the same universe, but at a different time (years before the PU). The overall outcome of the single player campaign will already be decided, but your actions in SQ42 will supposedly affect your character in the PU, though they haven't fully laid out how.

You'll be able to get the PU by itself if you just want to play around in the MMO/openworld and you will be able to get SQ42 by itself if you just want to do the single player campaign.
NewOldAg
AG
Nice. I loved the free fly weekends so I'll probably end up buying a starter pack here in the next few weeks. I believe this game will effectively kill No Man's Sky, so I'll hold off on that game.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Nice. I loved the free fly weekends so I'll probably end up buying a starter pack here in the next few weeks. I believe this game will effectively kill No Man's Sky, so I'll hold off on that game.

But NMS is fully released with content(assumption) coming. If they can get some fresh objectives and expand what they have they could enjoy months of success while this is still being developed.

But in the end, Star Citizen definitely looks to be the more complete game, when it gets released. I enjoy co op type games so will be buying once a release it announced.
wee_ag
AG
Alpha 2.5 in the wild!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15471-Star-Citizen-Alpha-25-Available
tamusc
AG
NMS really is a completely different game than what it was marketed as for years. What it was originally marketed as could be considered a SC competitor. What we got is more along the lines of a survival game that is in a completely different category than SC.

The random procedural generation tech underpinning NMS is impressive, but it wasn't the game I, or many others, was expecting. I hope future patches and DLC (hopefully free as promised) turns it into something close to what were promised because it really does have a huge amount of potential.
NewOldAg
AG
Ya, after reading some articles and research NMS was an amazing idea, but the game doesn't have a whole lot of depth. It's a great survival game, but it will eventually get old.

SC, once quests and mining etc come out will even knock off Eve Online for space games.

edit: Just bought SQ42 and Aurora. Toon name of Imperalias_Cordonis. They call me the Imp.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.