***** Official Star Citizen Thread *****

23,440 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Dark_Knight
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, sounds like 2.6.1 is just going to be some bug fixes to smooth out some of the server sync and performance issues in the PU.

The next big content patch is 3.0, which will be massive.
KidDoc
AG
I'm an old Wing Commander/Privateer nerd and have bought into Star Citizen but my gaming time is pretty limited so I'm not really playing the alpha at this time. I started playing a game I got for free called Rebel Galaxy on the PS4 and it it meeting my space adventure need for the moment. It is not even close to the depth and complexity that SC will end up becoming but it is pretty fun!

Anyway can't wait for SC to at least move into beta over the next 12-18 months hope they can pull it off!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearamedic99
AG
for clarification- ships bought during alpha will or will not be paid for and available for the main game. I've been eyeballing a freelancer.
tamusc
AG
bearamedic99 said:

for clarification- ships bought during alpha will or will not be paid for and available for the main game. I've been eyeballing a freelancer.
If you buy any ships now with real money (not REC or aUEC in the game) during the alpha phase, you will get them in the beta phase and full release as well.

Also, remember that any ship that you can buy now will also be available to buy in game with in game currency once it hits full release. That being said, I've definitely bought more than my share of ships in order to help support the project.
NewOldAg
AG
Any idea when 3.0 is expected? That's where the game gets real, imo.
tamusc
AG
My educated guess puts 3.0 release early Q2 this year. 2.6 already had some stuff that was originally slated for 3.0 like some ships (Caterpillar, 85X and Herald) and an early integration of some of the Lumberyard back end.

I agree that 3.0 will be when we really see what Star Citizen is about.
Tomdoss92
AG
tamusc said:

My educated guess puts 3.0 release early Q2 this year. 2.6 already had some stuff that was originally slated for 3.0 like some ships (Caterpillar, 85X and Herald) and an early integration of some of the Lumberyard back end.

I agree that 3.0 will be when we really see what Star Citizen is about.
Well, I think Q2 is out for 3.0.

on the positive side, they topped $150 Million a couple months ago.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, I was a little bit off on that. Shocker, they had just a <bit> of scope creep. The promise and curse of Chris Roberts.

We'll see what they have in store from Gamescom next week, but what they've been showing recently does look amazing.

Hopefully we'll get to play it ourselves soon.
wee_ag
AG
Ummm, whoa.

Watch Star Citizen's impressive face-tracking in action

tamusc
AG
I was waiting for 3.0 to at least hit public PTU before posting anything, but yeah, the stuff they showed during Gamescom is pretty cool.
wee_ag
AG
Sooooooo I just got a new computer and would love to see how SC runs on the new baby. Anybody up for some alpha play?
wee_ag
AG
If you are on the fence there's a big Anniversary Sale on ships right now, including limited edition ships (usually around 500 available). Sale goes on until Dec. 1 with new ships available each day.

Click here to see the sale and take advantage of my referral code (it scores you 5,000 in game credits)

tamusc
AG
I was waiting to post until I got back from the Thanksgiving holiday and actually put some time into the 3.0 PTU, but the videos people are making are gorgeous.

The orbital mechanics add a really cool aspect to the game.

Here's a few quick overviews of what's currently available in the 3.0 PTU. The current PTU builds don't have everything in them yet as they are focusing the testing on certain aspects of the game, but the scope is broadening with daily builds (note that they FINALLY have a delta patcher that means you don't have the redownload the full 35GB+ game with each build, last one was 300MB).

wee_ag
AG
OP being updated with new info and our CLAN INFO!!!
tamusc
AG
Should be a fun day

aggieforester05
AG
Cool, let us know how it goes. I just played SC for the first time last night. Didn't have much time, but pretty cool so far.
tamusc
AG
They should release the latest patch today or tomorrow that will include several significant performance improvements. I haven't played much since 3.1 was released almost a year ago because the performance was all over the map (joys of alpha testing). I got to play with a dev build in the demo area that has the brand new flight model and it is a vast improvement over the current one as well.

You can watch the live streams from the various stages here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/livestream

The keynote starts at 1pm.
tamusc
AG
The keynote was entertaining and focused more on near term gameplay options. Hurston (the first full scale planet) is massive. They're splitting up the program. Into multiple panels this year and then the timeline update is at the end this evening.

Artorias
AG
Does anyone actually expect this game to ever be finished?
tamusc
AG
mugwurt said:

Does anyone actually expect this game to ever be finished?

They now have five full studios with almost five hundred people working for them, plus a large design studio (Turbulent) building their web and communications platform.

They're cranking out tons of assets for the game thanks to the tools they've built over the last few years. With the introduction of object container streaming (OCS) in 3.3 the game has vastly improved performance based on the people that have been playing the early release of 3.3 over the last week.

Most of the tech for the single player game is complete and so I'd expect an actual release date for Squadron 42 announced soon, if not tonight.

TLDR - yes, I expect it to be finished
NavyAg22
So it's going to release this century?
tamusc
AG
NavyAg22 said:

So it's going to release this century?

Really interested in the timeline they're releasing tonight.

They brought in some very experienced PMs last year and they've pretty much stuck to target dates since then. I haven't really seen any new feature creep so far today as they've been really focused on completing underlying tech and hitting stated dates.
Tomdoss92
AG
oh look another year has gone by and still no real release.

couple relatively recent comments from at least non attackers on release date:

Quote:

No.
There's a roadmap.
It's still years away.
Quote:

For the campaign, 2-3 years is right. For the full release of the persistent universe? Add another 2-3 years.
admittedly all guesses. considering development started in 2011 and original launch was thought to be 2014...
and as tech changes every couple of years... this is a cash cow that will keep the carrot/stick out there forever.

... and it will top $200 Million raised soon
tamusc
AG
The game in its current form has really only been in development since 2013. There was a huge amount of scope creep that came along with the insane amount of money they collected during crowdfunding. If that scope creep had continued through the last year or so in significant ways I'd probably be right there with you.

They've also shown over the last year that they can deliver on a routine basis for the last year and the alpha build of the game that is currently available to play is pretty impressive. The big piece of tech (Object Container Streaming) that's been holding up both the single player campaign and bringing in a significant amount of content to the Persistent Universe was released the PTU yesterday (after being in closed testing for the last two weeks).

After spending most of yesterday actually getting to interact with the devs and designers, plus getting to see bits of the the insane amount of work they've been doing behind the scenes, I more confident about this project than I have in a long time.

Assuming that OCS doesn't completely **** the bed as it's rolled out to the larger community with alpha 3.3, I'd expect the release of Squadron 42 sometime next year. I think CIG announced that they would publish the Squadron 42 roadmap in December to give them a few months of public testing of the 3.3 build with OCS, which has all the underlying tech required for the single player campaign.

The new trailer for Squadron 42 was awesome and it was great seeing so much of the cast in game for the first time, like Gillian Anderson and Henry Cavill. Also has a great Gary Oldman speech.

If you haven't seen it before,check out the insane cast for SQ42.

TLDR - Don't blame people for doubting, CitizenCon was fun, tech for single player campaign is feature complete, Squadron 42 trailer is awesome, hoping for a Squadron 42 release date of mid to late 2019 to be announced this December
fig96
AG
Don't have any real interest in the game itself but ran across the trailer earlier this evening and thought it was kind of insane, and then just happened to see this thread.

I'm in Austin and a co-worker was dating a guy who was animating on the project. It sounds like since there's no one to answer to the scope creep just keeps creeping, adding features and loads of other new things with no real end in sight. From the way she was talking I'm sort of intrigued to see what happens.
tamusc
AG
tamusc
AG
I noticed that some folks in this thread mentioned that the game can be a bit overwhelming when you jump in since it's currently still an alpha build that lacks a proper tutorial.

CIG does have some tutorial videos that are very helpful, but they're spread out on the website. I pulled them together into a single YouTube playlist to make it easier for new players to find everything in one place.

Here's the main Getting Started page on the SC website as well for even more information.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/howto/1
tamusc
AG
There's a week long free flight event from 11/23-11/30 for anyone that wants to check out the game for free. There's a rotating list of ships each day to allow people to try most of them out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16849-Anniversary-Promotion-Free-Fly-Details

If you don't already have an account, use this link to sign up (it's free). If you end up buying the game, we'll both get free stuff.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-DNDY-JMCG

BG has a nice video that shows the scale of the current game off.

Tomdoss92
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

oh look another year has gone by and still no real release.

couple relatively recent comments from at least non attackers on release date:

Quote:

No.
There's a roadmap.
It's still years away.
Quote:

For the campaign, 2-3 years is right. For the full release of the persistent universe? Add another 2-3 years.
admittedly all guesses. considering development started in 2011 and original launch was thought to be 2014...
and as tech changes every couple of years... this is a cash cow that will keep the carrot/stick out there forever.

... and it will top $200 Million raised soon

SQ42 hitting soon?

I read that >fingers crossed< main game might release in 2027.

I was way off. Now topping $475 Million.
between new engines/tech and the pandemic and who knows the next reason... Roberts might manage to milk this to $750.
NewOldAg
AG
Nice 3.5 year gap on the thread. I'm not sure all the planets were navigable back then.
Tomdoss92
AG
Trying to keep those gaps in control, my bad.
Should just be crossing $600 Million right about now. I'm telling you, this will be a big time killer.
recent analysis:

Quote:

Grand Theft Auto 5 cost $137M, Red Dead Redemption 2 cost $170M, and Cyberpunk 2077 cost $174M, for a total of $481M.

https://massivelyop.com/2023/06/15/star-citizen-is-creeping-up-on-600m-in-crowdfunding-outstripping-many-aaa-titles-budgets/

I'm quite sure the SC investments will crush all others!!!
Velvet Jones
AG
javajaws
AG
I get notices via email, but I've just stopped paying attention to them and really have no idea the current state of the game.

I think most people that have tried it will get burnt out playing incomplete content and when/if they finally finish nobody will be around to notice.
aggieforester05
AG
Last time I tried to play ( which had been at least a year since it's played last), it wouldn't let me start without getting some other player to show me around. Didn't have time for that BS and haven't tried again since.
Dark_Knight
AG
Looks like some great news from this past week. Really hope squad 42 is really getting done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.