The Division Beta

29,866 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bryan98
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You should be able to join friends regardless of where they are. It might place you in the PvE zone when you start, but you should be able to be in the same instance (though they might phase transition to a new instance if the server if full which happened to me a few times) when you go to the DZ. You can't do auto matchmaker in the DZ either. You can however group with people by going to the group tab and selecting other operators in your proximity and forma group that way.

Not sure if that helps at all.

One a related noted regarding the phase transitions (moving instances I believe), it saved my group a couple of times. It might also explain the reason for why people suddenly disappear when you are chasing them, like when I saw a couple of rogues not near a point where they could use the exploit disappear.
Dro07
AG
So will you keep all the stuff you got in Beta when the actual game comes out?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I seriously doubt it. If we do keep it, then damn. Talk about having a leg up on people just getting in.
Dro07
AG
would be nice feature especially if you "pre ordered"
homebuildingag
AG
Think they came out and said nothing transfers from beta.
Dro07
AG
oh well i guess we will have to do the same beginning missions over again then or will the beginning be different? I really haven't read a lot into it i guess and was curious if this was more of a side thing just to test overall stuff and not really the story line
TheVarian
AG
So what you are saying is that, we need to have a gang of folks and kick little kids asses?
TefIon Don
GigEmAgs14
AG
Teflon John and TheVarian, y'all getting this game??
thaed137
AG
What you need is to get at least two groups of four to team up in a single party chat and wreck shop in a DZ. It was interesting at one point, two guys had holed up at the 2nd floor just outside of a safe house. Only way to get to them was a rope or a window. You would die quickly before you could shoot them. Grenades could only do so much and they would heal each other before it would kill them. Finally used combo of flame and flash to get enough people up there to kill them all. Took 20 minutes to kill 2 guys. I'm sure better abilities will help eventually but would imagine 8 people working together could shut down an extraction point and just pick off loot pretty easily let alone get to the max rogue status and keep other groups off of them.
TheVarian
AG
Damn straight. Xballs untz.

Gt: The varian (yes there is a space there)
TheVarian
AG
That's what I was thinking but wondering how those groups could collaborate
jabberwalkie09
AG
That's the best way to do it. And honestly the proximity chat in this game is pretty awesome since you can talk to others not in your group that way.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
12 player XB1 party chat
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

If you are in relative proximity, you can just talk to them.
Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:

great so we are going to listen to a bunch of 12 year olds finally saying their first cuss word
LawAg05
AG
Could have the two squads rotate rogue status. If everyone is holed up in some 2nd story bunker, then just have one party be rogue and the other party chill. Any grenades thrown into the bunker will make the people below rogues and get killed by the mob.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Use the non rogue team as shields. It works well. Trust me.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

great so we are going to listen to a bunch of 12 year olds finally saying their first cuss word
Speaking of proximity chat... I could never get it to work. I could hear other players but they never heard me. In game chat was turned on and I wasn't in a party. The only thing is that I was using my Kinect because my mic died on me. Anyone have issues with this?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Probably, no definitely. Based on my experience, the younger players were cursing more than the older players.
TheVarian
AG
Would all 12 be able to be in the same area?
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Would all 12 be able to be in the same area?
Ooooh, that's a good thought. Would probably be impossible to have the whole party on the same server/dark zone
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Speaking of proximity chat... I could never get it to work. I could hear other players but they never heard me. In game chat was turned on and I wasn't in a party. The only thing is that I was using my Kinect because my mic died on me. Anyone have issues with this?

Can't use Kinect in game chat
jeffk
AG
Seriously? I figured my settings were jacked up or something.
thaed137
AG
I think you could get them all on the same server by having one person invite all the people to his unit and then them dropping out of his unit. That way everyone moves to the same server.

I was reading the forum and there was talk that some of the expansions or possibly main game will missions that will require two squads to complete because of difficulty which would be completely awesome aspect if implemented correctly. Would be so badass to give squad 1 like secure the hostage and squad 2 secure the security wing to allow for evac then both teams meet up and fight their way out while protecting a hostage or something, could be epic.
mid90
AG
Watched the Agent Origins short on Amazon Prime last night. Pretty damn good.

That Firefighter was badass.
PapaKilo
AG
Most of the beta reviews I've read online are drawing comparisons to Destiny and generally have a negative impression of this game. Is Destiny really that similar?

I thought the game was awesome and has a lot of potential both PVE and PVP-wise. Can't wait for release.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I don't get the Destiny comparisons past the surface level gameplay.

TheVarian
AG
I think Destiny comes into the comparison because of the opportunity to create an AMAZING game, but they squander it with extra DLC's and micro transactions
jabberwalkie09
AG
I've not played Destiny (no console) but I'm not sure that the two can really be compared at this point since all of the story stuff in the beta could be done in roughly an hour. Then all that remained to do in the beta was max out levels and troll in the DZ.

I think that doing reviews on a beta is silly anyways when only a very small portion of the game and world is available to test anyways. Most of the stuff I have watched on youtube and read indicate to me that people are just afraid that it will end up that way because of their experience with Destiny. Not because of anything that they have had experience with in the beta itself.
mid90
AG
quote:
I think Destiny comes into the comparison because of the opportunity to create an AMAZING game, but they squander it with extra DLC's and micro transactions

Micro transactions aren't really that big of an issue with Destiny. The biggest issue is Bungie hyping the game for years saying it would be a continual experience, yet they will have zero new content between The Taken King and the release of Destiny 2. Additionally, the patches they have been releasing have been (for the most part) absolute garbage.

Nerfing autorifles by a fraction of a percentage point? Then telling everyone that's exactly what you intended to do? They have terrible management, in addition to not taking care of fixes that would be low-hanging-fruit (class balancing, lag issues, private matches, etc.)
TheVarian
AG
That's what I meant
mid90
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Most of the beta reviews I've read online are drawing comparisons to Destiny and generally have a negative impression of this game. Is Destiny really that similar?

I thought the game was awesome and has a lot of potential both PVE and PVP-wise. Can't wait for release.

The reviews I have read and seen share my same concern that the motivation to play is to obtain increasingly better loot. After playing the beta it appears to me it'll be a grindfest with repetitive game play.

I lasted about 7 months with Destiny and that was mainly because I had never played pvp before and I had never played with other people. While pvp was fun, I don't understand the fascination with doing the same thing over and over and over again in pve. Although there is weapon balancing in pvp, I did better when I had better weapons (i.e., perks). But to get better weapons I had to grind out hours of game play and sometime not even be rewarded. That's just a turn off for me.

The pve missions in The Division are about killing enemies to generate random loot. It may have some sort of story, but that's the underlying motivation. Then you enter the dark zone (pvp) which is again about obtaining loot. If you don't go in with a group it's a pain in the ass. I tried it solo, put in about an hour to obtain some gear only to be killed and have my stuff stolen. That's just punishing and leaves me with no incentive or motivation to continue after having multiple experiences.

So then what? Return to the story missions (again a concern about content) to repeat them at a harder level to obtain better weapons and gear. In that regard I believe it's a lot like Destiny. It's not a game for the casual player or people who hate the grind.

If not for buying it on the ps4 I would have canceled my preorder.
PapaKilo
AG
Is there such a thing as an MMO that does not derive replay value from gear-grinding to gain a competitive edge for harder PVE and PVP encounters? Seems to be the WoW, Guild Wars, Destiny, etc. model. I would not expect anything less from The Division.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.