The Division Beta

29,807 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bryan98
AGinHI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah. I don't know what I was hoping for, but the beta was a disappointment for me.
thaed137
AG
I guess I don't see the major difference between something like this and farcry (one of my favorite series) or COD/BF/Halo There will be single-player missions that you can do with some in a co-op setting and in addition some might require you team up with other people due to difficulty which I like. In COD/BF etc you play the same maps and same modes over and over again with the only point to 1) Win and 2) Get exp/money to buy cooler guns/mods. The only real difference is that a beginner in COD/BF etc has an ok chance to kill a top tier player if they get the jump on them. In The Division, like other RPGs and tiered games, a lvl 1 player doesn't have the weapons to take on a lvl 50 player, but then again they won't be matched in the same zone with players that much higher on the food chain than them. To me, this game has the same grind as any other game that comes out these days. Don't want to grind, don't worry, you will always be matched against same level players in the dark zone.

I will agree that going solo in the dark zone is tough and your chances at successfully engaging NPC's, getting loot, and getting extracted while not being killed by rogues can sometimes be tough, but I will give the benefit of the doubt that the full game will feel balanced and strategies will evolve to allow you to succeed at this.

I understand though this isn't for everyone so don't expect to change anyone's mind on it just my opinions.

TLDR: The grind everyone worries about is the same grind IMO as COD/BF/etc have to get more guns/mods.
jr15aggie
AG
For me the game is more about who I'm playing with. I mean, it's been a pretty long time since Halo 2 introduced me to online gaming... since then I've played quite a few online games and at this point it's all sorta been there, done that. I don't play near as much as I use to, so if it is an online game I just want to make sure I can have fun with my TexAgs buds.

This game seems to be pretty good for that. It's got good action, but slow paced enough at times where we can chat and forget about the real world for a little while. And its got enough random crap, especially in the dark zone, to give us a few good laughs along the way.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
The beta was hugely disappointing for me. Definitely cancelling my pre-order. If I want to have good gunplay with friends I can just play Destiny --- and I've already paid the money for that.
FTACO97
AG
Wow, surprised at the negative reviews of the beta. I enjoyed it. For me, ever since I saw the demo a couple years ago at E3, Division was about having an open world third person shooter in NYC and having the ability to do some co-op with friends. I'm not big on PVP as I really suck at it, tend to do more single player games. I felt the beta had a good enough variety of missions to go on to accomplish things and that didn't feel repetitive to me. Is there really a campaign in any type of shooter that doesn't become repetitive? I'm really looking forward to it.
millertyme
AG
quote:

TLDR: The grind everyone worries about is the same grind IMO as COD/BF/etc have to get more guns/mods.
I don't think the grind between a COD/BF game is the same kind of grind of a Destiny (and maybe the Division). With COD and BF, the map stays the same but the game dynamic changes depending on your human opponents. The play of your teammates and opponents influenced how I approached the game. The reason I quit playing Destiny is the game dynamic was always the same during the grind - Shoot these mobs, kill that guy, more mobs, then the big boss. The weapons grind was different too. COD/BF has a tiered system that tells you if you reach Lvl X, you will get this gun. The Destiny/Division system is more random - "congrats for beating this again, here is a helmet. Already have that helmet? Well, here is the helmet."
Tex117
AG
quote:
Wow, surprised at the negative reviews of the beta. I enjoyed it. For me, ever since I saw the demo a couple years ago at E3, Division was about having an open world third person shooter in NYC and having the ability to do some co-op with friends. I'm not big on PVP as I really suck at it, tend to do more single player games. I felt the beta had a good enough variety of missions to go on to accomplish things and that didn't feel repetitive to me. Is there really a campaign in any type of shooter that doesn't become repetitive? I'm really looking forward to it.
Me too.

They didn't have enough stuff to do in the bit of the map we got in the beta, but they specifically said they took some stuff out.
FTACO97
AG
quote:
quote:
Me too.

They didn't have enough stuff to do in the bit of the map we got in the beta, but they specifically said they took some stuff out.

It took me a while to figure it out, but you could go up to these bulletin boards, one at the main base and one at the starting base, and those would give you more side missions to go on. It probably took me 3 hours or so to make it through all of them.
Dro07
AG
Ya the Beta stuff took me about 4-5 hrs. It was good balance
Sandman23
AG
Read through the thread. Watched the giantbomb quick look video. Then immediately pre-ordered on Amazon.

GT: Sandman23 (XB1)
wee_ag
AG
Couple of things...

IS THE DIVISION THIS YEAR'S DESTINY? (tldnr - no) Hate the constant Destiny comparisons, but understand it and this article gives a good overview of the game in general. You people are judging waaaaaay too much based on the Beta.

Logitech unveils its best gaming keyboard to date and it comes with The Division

jeffk
AG
quote:
Couple of things...

IS THE DIVISION THIS YEAR'S DESTINY? (tldnr - no) Hate the constant Destiny comparisons, but understand it and this article gives a good overview of the game in general. You people are judging waaaaaay too much based on the Beta.

Good article - sums up my feelings pretty well.

I really don't see the DZ being a huge CF like many do - there will still be squads of guys who are there to play the game instead of just grief (I think I'm using that term right). Going solo should be tough and you'll definitely have to change your play style if you don't have any back-up. I like the tension and excitement of trying to extract something awesome - seeing another dude stroll up and start doing jumping jacks (the international sign of "I'm just here to extract, don't kill me please" is fun and different than what we got in other games. The fact that the main story line helps you upgrade your skill tree and that you can still get good weapons (plus crafting - which no one has gotten to play with yet) makes the DZ enticing, but not the only way to improve your player.

I'm looking forward to it.

Until then, I'll be playing some FO4, which I got in the mail yesterday.
slickag2007
AG
I'm pretty excited about this game. I think it's going to be a great time, and I had a pretty good time with the beta. I ended up having all blue pieces of equipment by the end. I wish I had saved up to get the orange pieces from the dark zone vendor.
Things I wish they would change: Multiple times in the DZ, I got shot by someone one time with a pistol and they didn't get labeled as rogue. I ended up shooting them back, and I got labeled rogue. That seems off to me. I also wish there was a way to sell off the extra aesthetic items I got off of AI characters and what not. I seemed to get a ton of beanies and feel like they could add another vendor or something.
Overall, I had a lot of fun. And, I'm excited to get into it with some other ags and do some looting.
jr15aggie
AG
The rogue thing is tough. On one hand if a single shot turns you rogue it makes accidental friendly fire annoying. On the other hand if it takes a few shots it is abused by jerks to trick you into going rogue.

But overall I'm excited for the game. Lots of stuff that was locked in the beta. The DZ may need some tweaking, but I'm a fan of the new concept. Last thing I really need is a traditional MP game... I'll get that when BF5 happens.
Dro07
AG
I am interested in this and border wars or whatever it's called that comes out next year
AGinHI
AG
Just a light observation here, but the order of your thoughts

quote:
I had a pretty good time with the beta. I ended up having all blue pieces of equipment by the end.

is exactly what I was talking about.

You had a blast because you got the best rewards.

I don't know how much time you put in, but for the amount of time I had I ended up having all green gear with like some purple beanie or something (just like Destiny when I finally got a good drop it was something pretty useless).

So, the DZ was a waste of time. Or more like me getting wasted all the time.

Then I returned to grinding out the story missions and repeatedly killing some dude named Alex.

Maybe I am too old to still be playing.
jr15aggie
AG
jr15aggie
AG
DZ was the only consistent way to get good gear in the beta. Enemy drops were better which is what leads to PvP cause people want your crap.

Getting DZ money and rank also helped cause the vendors in the DZ also had the best stuff.
AGinHI
AG
quote:

Ph.D.Aggies
AG
quote:
Couple of things...

Logitech unveils its best gaming keyboard to date and it comes with The Division

Judging too much off the Beta?! Whose fault is that?! I believe that Ubisoft chooses what goes in the Beta, yes? Perhaps if they had more than 5 hours of content and the ability to see more of the skill tree? I like the argument that they lowered the amount of PVE enemies in the DZ to make sure we could handle PvP. That is not encouraging at all. Didn't you have a closed Alpha to do that? For me the game's price point (for what I saw in the Beta) is around $35. I played the Beta a fair bit so it isn't like I did the hospital mission and 1 hour of DZ and quit.

Sentinel
AG
quote:
Judging too much off the Beta?! Whose fault is that?! I believe that Ubisoft chooses what goes in the Beta, yes? Perhaps if they had more than 5 hours of content and the ability to see more of the skill tree? I like the argument that they lowered the amount of PVE enemies in the DZ to make sure we could handle PvP. That is not encouraging at all. Didn't you have a closed Alpha to do that? For me the game's price point (for what I saw in the Beta) is around $35. I played the Beta a fair bit so it isn't like I did the hospital mission and 1 hour of DZ and quit.

Yeah, let's release the entire game and spoil everything during the beta. That'll be a good idea.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Couple of things...

This was a Beta, not a demo. There's a fundamental difference between the two and what you are describing is a demo.
AGinHI
AG
Several reviews have expressed the same concerns, that based on the betas of other games that failed to live up to expectations, what we see is what we're going to get. There aren't going to be that many changes from now until release.

I still have hope as I can't cancel my preorder.
slickag2007
AG
I played very little dz in the beta. I played the hospital story mission multiple times on hard difficulty, as it guaranteed a blue piece of equipment for each run through.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, let's release the entire game and spoil everything during the beta. That'll be a good idea.
It would have been a better idea than releasing basically nothing.
jeffk
AG
There was plenty to do - kept me busy for about four long sittings. There was only one main story mission, but I played through it twice on different difficulty levels with two different groups of friends. You could upgrade the med wing twice and had to do enough side missions to earn the supplies to do so. Lots of hidden parts of the one little section of the map to explore with some good NPCs to battle - did most of that alone. Then spent several hours farting around the DZ solo and with a group of Ags - which was fun and challenging.

All the Beta needed to do was show me how gameplay was going to be and give me a taste for the main story and PVP area - it did both of those and I'm looking forward to the full game.
jr15aggie
AG
I remember when the 360 came out and we all geeked out when they started releasing free demos of unreleased games. How awesome was that.

Now all we do is cancel pre-orders because the "demo" wasn't 20 hours long.

1st world problems.
thaed137
AG
You feel pretty angry towards this game for giving you a free preview of a beta build that they didn't have to do. As stated, the beta isn't meant to be a finished project or provide you countless free hours of the game. It is meant to demonstrate certain features of the game to gain feedback from the community as well as let them gather data on NPC and PvP interactions. You said it was a bad sign they lowered the amount of NPCs in the DZ? They wanted to test the balance on how players would play in a mainly PvP enviorment so that they could ensure proper balancing. It lets them check on if anything stands out as being over or under powered for players. Did everyone resort to just using sniper rifles / shotguns / shields? If so why and how can the other weapons be re-balanced to correct this. The purpose of the beta is to help them test these features and make sure that what they expect to happen will happen.

I was actually surprised by the amount of stuff they released, a good amount more than what was in the alpha. I am excited and am looking forward to this game based upon what has been released so far.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It would have been a better idea than releasing basically nothing.
GigEmAgs14
AG
then gtfo this thread
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Do you need a safe space with no conflicting opinions?
thaed137
AG
No you were against the premise of what a beta is as opposed to the content of the beta. The beta isn't meant to give you a full preview of everything in the game. It is meant to help developers test and fine tune the game by releasing portions they feel need testing, i.e. the DZ and more specifically PvP. This is same vein of the Alpha release and why they don't just open it up to everyone typically. They want people with a stake in wanting the game to succeed to provide real time feedback on what is or isn't working.

If you argument was I didn't like the extraction points, way you move around between cover, how pvp was just point and shoot more than cover to cover battles, etc... then we have something to talk about. To simply say that Ubisoft sucks because the beta was a beta and not a full game demo is what we are calling stupid.

One of things I currently don't like is how someone can go rogue and then after a set time return to normal status. If you have a solid group of players, no one would know you have spent the last 2 hours killing people at an extraction point and to be wary that you just recently stopped being rogue. If I knew that you were likely to go rogue, I might choose a different extraction point. Same that if you show you hardly every go rogue, I will be more trusting and willing to work together to defend each other against other possible rogues. Do you correct this by having a sort of good vs bad meter on each person letting you know where they typically fall? or do you say once you go rogue you are rogue until you exit the DZ?
jeffk
AG

Shouldn't it be called an Open Charlie now?
jabberwalkie09
AG
So, I guess I should reinstall the beta then?
Dro07
AG
YAAAAASSSSS.....

Good thing I didn't delete it the other day!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.