The Division Beta

29,797 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bryan98
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Also... this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A03YANE/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_h_1_hkpmtdao1?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2360314162&pf_rd_r=0XS4AEC13GRZBZ76WN4K&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=12401

Pretty intense stuff.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:
After playing the alpha, I see this as a primarily single-player game with a traditional open-world campaign. Unless that's wrong, there is no reason to think of the game as a race to the best gear, etc.
I didn't play the alpha, looking forward to the beta next week, but based on the game play I've seen I don't think lone wolfing it in the dark zone is an option. Though, like I said that's just based on watching game play and it taking lots of bullets to drop enemies from what I've seen.
I'm not talking about lone wolfing in the Dark Zone. So far I haven't seen anything that ties the Dark Zone into the story campaign at all. I'd actually like for there to be some missions sending you to the DZ, but that might be a deal-breaker for people who aren't into PVP. Those folks (and they're out there) don't want to be made to PVP in order to play the story of the game.

Until we see if there's some structure around Dark Zone play, I think it's a "just for fun" thing, like playing Halo PVP. Yeah, you can get slightly better gear, but you won't need it for the story. Which is not to take away from the awesomeness of a console game with open world PVP - I'm thrilled!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Until we see if there's some structure around Dark Zone play, I think it's a "just for fun" thing, like playing Halo PVP. Yeah, you can get slightly better gear, but you won't need it for the story. Which is not to take away from the awesomeness of a console game with open world PVP - I'm thrilled
There is still AI in the dark zone, but not sure if there will be any story missions. Probably not. But like I said on the last page, there will be proximity chat in the dark zone so teaming up with randoms will be easier if you are solo.

I think Dark Zone's appeal will be the unknown. Your group can play nice with another and do some killing, leveling, looting, etc. But at any moment things can turn and they are now the enemy. I mean, how long can you scavenge and loot with strangers before somebody decides it's time to take what you got.
jabberwalkie09
AG
In a video I watched the loot drops in two different instances, one specifically for you and another open one. So some of the loot fight stuff is solved that way. The loot that is contaminated though appears to designed to specifically drive conflict.

Pretty sure I saw that in the angry Joe vid that was about an hour long.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
In a video I watched the loot drops in two different instances, one specifically for you and another open one. So some of the loot fight stuff is solved that way. The loot that is contaminated though appears to designed to specifically drive conflict.

You have to take it back to the normal area and decontaminate it somehow I think, if I'm not mistaken.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Is there a way to share loot in this game --- or is RNG the only way? I mean -- in Destiny you could get all the good exotics and whatever and you only need 1 so... you just deleted them while others got nothing. I'd hope there would be a way to trade --- even if someone limited (e.g., only one legendary for another or something like that).

Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Is there a way to share loot in this game --- or is RNG the only way? I mean -- in Destiny you could get all the good exotics and whatever and you only need 1 so... you just deleted them while others got nothing. I'd hope there would be a way to trade --- even if someone limited (e.g., only one legendary for another or something like that).

They dropped trading
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:

You have to take it back to the normal area and decontaminate it somehow I think, if I'm not mistaken.
That's correct, and if someone kills you before you can extract it, you lose it.

@jr15 - I know there's AI in the DZ; I played the alpha. But so far I haven't seen anything resembling structured gameplay for the DZ, like missions you might receive from the same folks who hand them out in the story campaign. I would very much love to see some group story missions that take you into the DZ, and then possibly into a private instance to fight a boss or something.

In the alpha all I saw in the DZ were other players and random NPCs you could shoot. There wasn't any story associated with it, or reason to go there other than to make your own fun, essentially. And that can be fun! I've played the hell outta Destiny PVP just for fun. But I'd love some missions or something to give me a compelling reason to go there.
millertyme
AG
Just preordered on PS4 to check out the Beta. Will decide whether to cancel.

PS4 - tlhero50
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Unfortunate --- there should be trading (even if conditional or tiered). I suppose if you find something good and you already have one or don't need it for your playstyle, then you can let your friends kill you before leaving the DZ so they can have it. Seems like a lot of work for something silly like that. If you play healer but keep getting tank gear that is kinda stupid. And yeah -- this looks to function like and RPG in that there are definitely roles to play with healers and tanks. Let's see if this game can successfully blend RPG and FPS unlike Destiny where your class wasn't really too important most of the time.
slickag2007
AG
From what I understand, they just dropped trading from the initial launch. I thought I read an interview stating that they were looking to add it back in later. I'll be playing the xbox one beta on Thursday if anyone would like to join up. Slickg2007 is the gamertag.
GigEmAgs14
AG
This game will either be incredible or fall flat on its face
wee_ag
AG
List of some of the bugs and issues fixed since the Alpha:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/25/over-10000-bugs-zapped-for-the-division-closed-beta/
AGinHI
AG
I should not have high expectations. Things seem to always turn out awesome when I don't have high expectations.

jeffk
AG
Anyone gotten their code via email yet?
TheVarian
AG
I'm still waiting myself
jabberwalkie09
AG
Pre-loading the beta.
jeffk
AG
If this is a grinder like Destiny, I'm going to be super disappissed.
Kampfers
AG
I wasn't super enthused by the alpha. I'll be back for the beta but I haven't preordered yet and am unsure if I will in the end.

Overall the world (in particular, the DZ) felt very empty and going lone wolf in the DZ was a virtual death sentence. The DZ was massive, with underground sections and buildings you could enter, but it was devoid of activity, NPC or other players. Most of the players were clustered in one or two areas and the rest of the place was just a vast nothingness with a few crates here and there that couldn't be opened unless you were a much higher level than the alpha allowed you to attain.

As far as mechanics go, it's a cover-based 3rd person shooter which isn't necessarily my favorite. Everything is super-realistic, but the enemies are all bullet sponges which somewhat breaks that immersion. Hopefully the beta experience is much better, because I had high hopes for this game.
TheVarian
AG
I hope they defer from the whole bullet sponge thought
slickag2007
AG
I'm still waiting on the actual beta key that lets you download it. Put all my info innocent the website early this morning. Was hoping to be able to preload it today as I do stuff around the house.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I hope they defer from the whole bullet sponge thought
They won't... the game was designed this way. "It's an RPG" is what you are going to keep hearing. Just like Destiny in that you'll see HP counts for every shot that hits them. Destiny had plenty of bullet sponge enemies too, but I guess the difference is that it's OK when it's a weird alien, but seems odd when you have to shoot a thug in a hoodie 20 times before he dies.
TheVarian
AG
No doubt. I just want to wish and dream about these things

As for destiny, completely agree. Some 79297474 year old alien whose been in war after war can take a beating. Some trash guy though can take 6 magazines of ammo take take down
Tex117
AG
I don't know...I guess I just don't have too many issues with "bullet sponge" bosses... Designed to be one or two shot kills would COMPLETELY change the game. (In an interesting way maybe...but not really an RPG...that can have more diversified gameplay.)

(Valas t Arc (or whatever) in Destiny before the nerf was an awful bullet sponge).
Bryan98
AG
I think we're missing the crux of the comparison here.

In Destiny, you can headshot many enemies for a one-shot kill. You can also kill them with half a clip or less to the body. Examples include many Hive and Fallen. It may be an RPG in some senses, but this is a classic shooter mechanic, and it feels realistic.

In The Division, in my experience, even the lowest level enemy takes a ton of shots to kill. You can't one-shot kill them with a headshot, and it's true that in many cases you'll fire an entire clip at someone to kill them - and may not even kill them then, with some of your shots missing. This feels totally unrealistic.

Ironically, it's the game where you fight aliens with space magic that feels more realistic in terms of the shooting.
Tex117
AG
quote:
I think we're missing the crux of the comparison here.

In Destiny, you can headshot many enemies for a one-shot kill. You can also kill them with half a clip or less to the body. Examples include many Hive and Fallen. It may be an RPG in some senses, but this is a classic shooter mechanic, and it feels realistic.

In The Division, in my experience, even the lowest level enemy takes a ton of shots to kill. You can't one-shot kill them with a headshot, and it's true that in many cases you'll fire an entire clip at someone to kill them - and may not even kill them then, with some of your shots missing. This feels totally unrealistic.

Ironically, it's the game where you fight aliens with space magic that feels more realistic in terms of the shooting.
Didn't play the Alpha which it seems like you did.

Hopefully they tone this back if this is truly the case.

I can understand not one shotting enemies so as to actually have to use your technical classes (healer, DPS, Tank), but its another to pump an entire clip into some low level enemies.

Maybe that's one of the things they are trying to tune.
wee_ag
AG
I personally was really impressed with the Alpha (in that it ran really well for an Alpha). Yes DZ was not populated well, but I attribute that to it being an Alpha (with more of the focus being on the main story) and read that it will be more developed in the Beta. As for bullet sponges, they do have more powerful weapons, plus sniper rifles which can take down enemies much faster with head shots. But I don't have an issue with bullet sponges in this game. I have BF4 if I want something a little more realistic.

Also, just got my code for the beta on XB1 - preloading now.

deathmullet76
jeffk
AG
quote:

Same.

Keester11
Tex117
AG
quote:
I personally was really impressed with the Alpha (in that it ran really well for an Alpha). Yes DZ was not populated well, but I attribute that to it being an Alpha (with more of the focus being on the main story) and read that it will be more developed in the Beta. As for bullet sponges, they do have more powerful weapons, plus sniper rifles which can take down enemies much faster with head shots. But I don't have an issue with bullet sponges in this game. I have BF4 if I want something a little more realistic.

deathmullet76
Rainbow 6...dats some good OHK stuff right there.
Bryan98
AG
I did play the Alpha, and I really enjoyed it. I'm almost certainly buying the game, even if the weird bullet sponge going remains.
mid90
AG
Got my ps4 code for the beta.

mid9012
slickag2007
AG
Still waiting to get mine. I keep checking my email over and over hoping its arrived. But no such luck. I'm not a super patient person.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep got it. I'm actually excited for this one. I haven't played a ton of xbox lately... Too busy with work and life. But I expect this to be a good one.
thaed137
AG
Got mine but didn't realize it would over the exact days of my ski trip. Oh well real world, you will prevail this time.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Got mine but didn't realize it would over the exact days of my ski trip. Oh well real world, you will prevail this time.

Yeah that sounds awful. T&P for you and your family.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.