The Division Beta

30,442 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bryan98
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was really fun with a group of Ags! One of the best features is seeing your friends on the map... Makes it really easy to see who's on and where they are. Grouping up with at least one buddy is key and this game makes it easy. Also easy to find randoms to team up with.

Dark Zone needs more of something. Perhaps it's because it's the beta and we could only access the lower ranked areas. But regardless it's a blast and something I haven't seen before in a game. Last night jeffk and I called in an extraction for our loot. Some random came up to extract his loot. He put his hands up as a show of peace... Yeah, we shot that guy and took his crap! And what's better is I immediately felt really bad about it. I was a total a-hole to that guy. Needless to say dark zone is gonna be random fun.

I'll probably stick with my gold version ($20 Amazon discount) and see how it goes. There aren't any other big MP games I'm looking at for a long while so I'll invest in this one for the long haul.
agfan2013
AG
As to the content of the beta itself im disappointed, its pretty much the exact same main mission and side missions as last time, very little new stuff for those of us that played the alpha.

As to the game itself, I'm impressed and wont be canceling my preorder with amazon. I, like JeffK am not much of a graphics snob, but do think that the game looks very good for consoles. I particularly liked walking down the streets at night with all of the Christmas lights on, very cool vibe. The gameplay is good, customization options are plenty, and being able to team up at any time is great. Essentially this is destiny but instead of a first person, futuristic sci fi shooter, its a third person, cover-based, present day shooter. Even the loot drops are colored like destiny, all im hoping is they have way more content than Destiny did at release and this doesnt become a grind of playing the same core 15 missions or so to find rare stuff to level up. I realize there will be grinding with an RPG but destiny got old fast.

Didnt check out the dark zone yet as in the alpha I never could figure out how to get back to the normal zone, I couldnt just walk back through the gate I walked in. Am I missing something? Other than that small gripe Im enjoying my time with the beta and will certainly be getting the full game in march.
mid90
AG
Now that Destiny kinda paved the way, only Bungie could screw up so hard with the division as to not learn from watching the Destiny screw-ups.
jeffk
AG
The gameplay and set-up reminds me of Borderlands.

Not even remotely the same tone, but they utilize a lot of the same features/game design.
jr15aggie
AG
The only bummer is my first 5 hours with the real game will be "been there done that". I should stop playing the beta and save it for the retail version... But I won't.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Was really fun with a group of Ags! One of the best features is seeing your friends on the map... Makes it really easy to see who's on and where they are. Grouping up with at least one buddy is key and this game makes it easy. Also easy to find randoms to team up with.

Dark Zone needs more of something. Perhaps it's because it's the beta and we could only access the lower ranked areas. But regardless it's a blast and something I haven't seen before in a game. Last night jeffk and I called in an extraction for our loot. Some random came up to extract his loot. He put his hands up as a show of peace... Yeah, we shot that guy and took his crap! And what's better is I immediately felt really bad about it. I was a total a-hole to that guy. Needless to say dark zone is gonna be random fun.

This encounter happened just after jr15aggie accidentally shot up a non-hostile, got us marked as rogue and then hunted down and killed.

cr0wbar
AG
GD it- am I gonna have to preorder this thing now?!
Aggietaco
AG
I'm at a solid meh right now. Felt a bit lost last night, but I only got about an hour in. I'll be on some more tonight maybe and tomorrow.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

This encounter happened just after jr15aggie accidentally shot up a non-hostile, got us marked as rogue and then hunted down and killed.

I look forward to more stories like this.

I haven't done much in the beta, but I did the rescue the doctor mission. It was fun for what it was. I look forward to jumping into the DZ at some point. I don't know if I am going to much more of the story missions before the actual game drops.
jeffk
AG
The doc rescue mission is really the only story mission available in the beta from what I can tell. Lots of little side quests and encounters, but nothing past that point in the story.

Anyone figured out if you're supposed to be doing anything with the random echos you come across?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Good to know. Time to go hop into the DZ then.
Kampfers
AG
Currently, since the full map is not unlocked, only one of the DZ gates works. In the full game you should be able to enter/exit at any of the checkpoints but right now you can only do so through the original one.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I'm at a solid meh right now. Felt a bit lost last night, but I only got about an hour in. I'll be on some more tonight maybe and tomorrow.
I played around an hour or so solo earlier in the day... that gave me time to get the feel for what was going on. A game like this can be overwhelming if you jump in and immediately start playing with guys who have already done the basics. IMO it's better to play with it solo for a while, get it all figured out, and then party up.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Anyone figured out if you're supposed to be doing anything with the random echos you come across?

The only echo's I've found involve the side mission to find out what happened to that chick's sister. You start near the main base you start the game out. In that echo you research clues which leads you to an address (which should be marked on your map as a mission location now). There you will find another echo.... so you have to research a few of these to complete the mission.
jeffk
AG
I've run into two different ones. They have some clues you can "investigate" but there's no conclusion to them if that makes sense.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I've run into two different ones. They have some clues you can "investigate" but there's no conclusion to them if that makes sense.
You don't really get a confirmation that you "solved it"... for example, in the first one you can hit X in the echo in a few spots to investigate. On one of them you see a guitar that says "if lost return to xxx W 24th street" or something like that. Basically a clue to her address. I looked on the map and saw a way point on W 24th street and when I went there I found another echo. In that echo you hear her trying to get into the front door but it's locked... so you go around behind the building to the fire escape and find another echo with thugs going up the ladder to have their way with the chick... you go up the ladder to find her.

There, I spelled it out for you ;-)

But there isn't really any indication that you "solved" the echo, but I believe once you find the right clues, even if you can't figure out exactly where to go a new marker will pop up on your map. You might have to be zoomed in a bit and be in the general area, but the map is helpful.
jr15aggie
AG
Saw some PC footage. Looks the same to me. No doubt a really good PC will take advantage of the unlocked frame-rate and some added visual flare. But all the assets look the exact same in terms of geometry & textures on the map.

I know we have a few XB1 / PC guys on here. Be an interesting choice. Go with the shinny-er option or go where the cool crowd is hanging out (XB1)! I personally would have a hard time pulling the trigger on PC because even at 30 fps the XB1 version is really solid. Very fluid. But on the other hand if I spent $ on a rig I'd like to use it some too.
jr15aggie
AG
Kampfers... here's the headset I was talking about. Fully wireless, stereo sound, connects via USB to your XB1. It's $150 right now on amazon (I've seen it cheaper at different times). I tried their $300 elite headset and thought it was crap (returned)... this one is one of their better headsets ever and I've owned several TB headsets. The mic also unplugs when you aren't using it (just don't let your kitty chew on it!!!).

Definitely time to ditch the Kinect bro!

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Stealth-Wireless-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00YXO5X4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454092002&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+beach+420x
jr15aggie
AG
PC video. Guy say's it's not night and day difference between this and XB1 version. Just optimized really.

jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
You don't really get a confirmation that you "solved it"... for example, in the first one you can hit X in the echo in a few spots to investigate. On one of them you see a guitar that says "if lost return to xxx W 24th street" or something like that. Basically a clue to her address. I looked on the map and saw a way point on W 24th street and when I went there I found another echo. In that echo you hear her trying to get into the front door but it's locked... so you go around behind the building to the fire escape and find another echo with thugs going up the ladder to have their way with the chick... you go up the ladder to find her.

There, I spelled it out for you ;-)

But there isn't really any indication that you "solved" the echo, but I believe once you find the right clues, even if you can't figure out exactly where to go a new marker will pop up on your map. You might have to be zoomed in a bit and be in the general area, but the map is helpful.

Sounds like I found the echos before I found the quest they tie into.
Tex117
AG
Just had a few minutes at lunch to hop on and secure the post office.

I dig it! (Too early to tell about the shooting because of how bad the first guns you get are...its not Destiny).

However, I can absolutely see myself liking this a lot.

And the cool kids play on ps4...please. Just see the Destiny thread for reference.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Favorite thing so far, gaining 5 rank status in the DZ, running around, getting killed, then killing the guy that took my loot.
Prime0882
AG
quote:
Just had a few minutes at lunch to hop on and secure the post office.

I dig it! (Too early to tell about the shooting because of how bad the first guns you get are...its not Destiny).

However, I can absolutely see myself liking this a lot.

And the cool kids play on ps4...please. Just see the Destiny thread for reference.
This man speaks the truth. You always see the PS4 community stuff at the top of The Nerdery. Y'all Xbone guys have fallen off this console cycle!
slickag2007
AG
Yeah, except this game gets exclusives that ps4 doesn't. So we'll see how it feels now that the shoe is on the other foot.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Codes didn't work last night...Apparently getting in to the Beta is going to be much more difficult....

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-betas-unprecedented-interest-means-wa/1100-6434315/
nomad2007
AG
Playing on PC later around 9p tonight.

Uplay: nomadvet2012
TheVarian
AG
We just add each other and don't need Texags to communicate
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
This man speaks the truth. You always see the PS4 community stuff at the top of The Nerdery. Y'all Xbone guys have fallen off this console cycle!

Are the PS4 guys doing that circle jerk thing again!?
Mr.KyleReed
AG
So that dark zone.....

Went through and collected stuff, shot up an extraction flare, waited. Then here comes a group of rouges, just waiting to kill everyone. I saw them coming from far off. They waited until their counter went down so they seem normal. They killed everyone including me.

So I go back to get my stuff, shoot another flare, wait it out. Same group of rouges come back. This time I don't get involved, wait it out. Then the gold and purple guys come from behind and kill me.

Third time's the charm. Go back to get my stuff, shoot the flare, wait. SAME GROUP OF ROUGES, wait..wait...I kill an innocent to blend in with the rouges. Another group of regular people come up and kill all of us rouges.

I can't win. I just want to extract my stuff.

I left the dark zone after that. It's tough solo, you almost need a team of atleast 2
AGinHI
AG
Yeah, my fear is because the best rewards are in the dark zone it is always going to be overpopulated with groups of hardcore gamers and I'm going to be the ghetto agent with crappy gear running solo most of the time.

I found some people helpful in the dz (e.g., allowing me to pick up loot) while I was also shot in the back (had low health) after passing someone and had my stuff stolen.

I'm concerned that there won't be much solo content and I more often than not will not be able to team up for the dz.

Edit: I'm letting my 11-year-old play right now

the first thing he killed was a stray dog
wee_ag
AG
Jr, Jeff, Kampfers and myself have found better gear in the PvE zone. Stuff in Dark Zone was mediocre with a couple of good things. Right now the only reason to go is really just for a change of pace - unless there's some high level NPCs that we haven't stumbled on.
Agmaniacmike12
Completely forgot about this beta. Anyone know if the download is more than 20 GB?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Completely forgot about this beta. Anyone know if the download is more than 20 GB?

Yeah it's like 25 gb think.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Jr, Jeff, Kampfers and myself have found better gear in the PvE zone. Stuff in Dark Zone was mediocre with a couple of good things. Right now the only reason to go is really just for a change of pace - unless there's some high level NPCs that we haven't stumbled on.
It really depends. The dark zone vendors have some good stuff. I think one of the best guns currently in the game is at the safe house in the dark zone. You can find comparable rifles at the PvE vendors, but I don't think you can find the pistols the DZ has at the PvE vendors. Plus, at the moment the compensators the muzzle mods you get from drops. Most drops I end up getting are green, with some blue mixed in. I ended up getting a drop for an M1911 that is basically the pistol that one of the DZ vendors sells. In fact, the SCAR-L I have in the game came from a drop in DZ.
mid90
AG
My impression so far: kinda meh. Fun but not nearly as polished/exciting as what it should be for having been delayed so long.

Will probably cancel my preorder and wait to see reviews of the full release.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.