Cities Skylines

8,486 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Burdizzo
ag_derp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like a much better Simcity. Been watching gameplay and I am impressed, about to buy it. Anyone else excited for it?
benMath08
AG
quote:
Looks like a much better Simcity. Been watching gameplay and I am impressed, about to buy it. Anyone else excited for it?
I watched a few people stream it this weekend and am VERY excited to play it. Looks like everything Simcity 2013 should have been.
javajaws
AG
Surely it won't be as good as it looks. For $30?

Gonna cross my fingers on this one because it looks incredible.
wee_ag
AG
Preordered for $21.89 on GreenManGaming VIP section

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/
BadMoonRisin
AG
As someone who was deeply disappointed by Sim City last year, I am looking forward to this.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Reviews so far seem pretty positive. I'll give it a month before I decide to make a purchase. SimCity has me gun shy.
ag_derp
AG
Ok got 2 hrs into it already. SO far so good. I am enjoying it.
AggieChemE09
AG
I bought it. I love it. Definitely worth 30 bucks.
04texag
AG
I'll be interested in hearing more thoughts, AFTER you play and develop a city for a little bit. Does the city breakdown and just stop working? How the game is coded is huge for a large city where problems can start showing up.
benMath08
AG
quote:
I'll be interested in hearing more thoughts, AFTER you play and develop a city for a little bit. Does the city breakdown and just stop working? How the game is coded is huge for a large city where problems can start showing up.
My city has about 80k people at the moment.

For awhile, traffic was a major problem. I didn't do a lot of forward planning in the initial phases of building the city, especially in regards to my cargo harbor and train terminals (which generate a lot of heavy duty traffic). I've slowly been turning that around by redoing pieces of the traffic grid one part of a time, relying on large one-way streets, as well as adding smarter connections to the highways.

I haven't had any real "disasters" like a bunch of people dying or the city burning down. I'd say I've only filled out half of 9 squares worth of land so far, and the city is already several times larger than anything I built in Simcity 2013.

Overall, I really love this game. Easily worth the $30 as mentioned above.
redd38
AG
Let's say I haven't played SimCity since the original in the 90s... is this going to be way over my head and mundane? Or will I enjoy it?
JJxvi
AG
So do you start on a small plot and then "annex" land as you grow?
AggieChemE09
AG
Yes. The game moves you along pretty well, unlocking services and options as you grow your city. Very well done.

My city got to 20k last night, but I spent alot of time creating highway interchanges that I could have been spending growing my city rapidly
benMath08
AG
quote:
So do you start on a small plot and then "annex" land as you grow?
You start on a "small" plot equal to the size of a normal Simcity 2013 plot. Eventually you can buy 8 more of them (I think even more with mods). You unlock services as your population hits certain thresholds. I'm guessing that's so new players don't bankrupt themselves trying to build everything at once. It's a good system really.

Highway interchanges are both fun and frustrating to create. I've got a pretty big spaghetti monster interchange in my city but it's getting the job done smoothly.

Highways and regular roads can be built at four different levels, including ground, so you have a lot of options. Train tracks can be elevated as well.
ag_derp
AG
Worth it, Have 10 hrs in it.
wee_ag
AG
Buy it.

My only complaints are with the blah interface (SimCity was more shiney and spoiled me) and I had a little but of an issue running it on my iMac (had to disable Steam Overlay).

wee_ag
AG
First-Person Mod Lets You Walk Cities: Skylines' Streets
04texag
AG
I read lots yesterday and bought and DL'd but not played yet.

There are a few traffic issues from what I have read, you can get a bug where in a 3 lane road, traffic only uses the middle lane.

Aside from that, glowing reviews, and I'm excited as it sounds like just the city builder I was hoping to get not that long ago.

There are some really great interchanges being shared on Reddit. You guys should look at those for ideas.
dfphotos
What kind of hardware does one need to run this?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
There are a few traffic issues from what I have read, you can get a bug where in a 3 lane road, traffic only uses the middle lane.

I've been reading that it's mostly due to the fact that the sims choose the optimum route the moment they leave for their destination (not based on traffic conditions). No changing mid-route. So if everyone's calculations are using the left lane as the most efficient path towards their eventual destination, you'll get a build up.
JJxvi
AG
Is there a good way to actually connect up the highway connection when you're just starting a city?
javajaws
AG
Played a couple hours last night...first city, learning the ropes, etc. After the initial bootstrapping of power, water, etc it seemed pretty easy to make money to later rapidly expand. I've only got a couple thousand people but over 1 million in whatever currency they call it.

Regarding performance...no problems on my 5 yr old gaming computer with 1g of video memory.
capital markets
AG
quote:
Is there a good way to actually connect up the highway connection when you're just starting a city?
I am also having this issue. Have huge traffic problems at that connection.
benMath08
AG
quote:
quote:
I am also having this issue. Have huge traffic problems at that connection.
This is what I do. No clue if it's the "ideal" solution though.

Any off ramp with a decent amount of traffic should first flow into a 6 lane one-way street. Try not to have the opposite on ramp at the same intersection, instead put it one block down on your traffic grid. Make sure the off ramps from both sides of the freeway converge at the one-way street before they hit the traffic grid proper.

This means once your city is big enough, you'll want to completely redo the pre-made interchange (you can bulldoze any or all of it and remake it).
benMath08
AG
JJxvi
AG
It wont let me build a 6 lane one way street at the beginning of the game. So what you're saying is deal with it and fix it later?
AggieChemE09
AG
Burn it, Burn it all!
benMath08
AG
quote:
It wont let me build a 6 lane one way street at the beginning of the game. So what you're saying is deal with it and fix it later?
Even just the two lane one way and making the entrance and exit further from each other should help a lot.
Ganondorf
AG
I've watched some gameplay and a roundabout at the highway works for a while.
JJxvi
AG
I figured out the street thing. It really just wont let me put the road I want until I draw a small road anywhere on the map.

So whats up with the district specialization thing. I haven't touched that yet, because I don't really get what it does.
wee_ag
AG
I used a roundabout at my entrance which works ok until you get a lot of traffic into the city. I had to buy the plot of land up the highway to get another exchange entrance to my city. I would also recommend some of the intersections in the workshop... there's a few Texas specific ones - apparently we've got some unique highway features.

Texas Intersections

Districting lets you set city policies and I think taxes for each area you establish.

There is also apparently a 'hard' mode that makes it more difficult to make money, I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how it compares.

Also... is commercial demand broken for anyone else? I've got 5+ hours in my city and the only demand I've ever had for commercial was when I first started. I've got a tiny commercial area that's not even filled and have had zero demand the entire game.
javajaws
AG
I don't think commercial demand is 1-1 with residential, that's for sure. Looking across my city I think I have a fair amount of commercial zoned that would roughly approximate real life.

At low education levels though it's industry, industry, industry. I have a couple universities now and office zoning is picking up. The only way I've figured out how to tell the demand difference between industrial and office is to click on some industrial buildings and see if they say they have overeducated workers. In my case, most of my workers are overeducated so I'm rapidly shifting to office zoning.
The Collective
AG
I want to download, but my wife will kill me.
benMath08
AG
quote:
I don't think commercial demand is 1-1 with residential, that's for sure. Looking across my city I think I have a fair amount of commercial zoned that would roughly approximate real life.

At low education levels though it's industry, industry, industry. I have a couple universities now and office zoning is picking up. The only way I've figured out how to tell the demand difference between industrial and office is to click on some industrial buildings and see if they say they have overeducated workers. In my case, most of my workers are overeducated so I'm rapidly shifting to office zoning.
Don't make the mistake I did and replace all of your industry with offices. Otherwise your commercial buildings won't be supplied with enough goods to sell.
Pman17
AG
Played this game for 3 hours today. So addicting! Can't wait for more mods! Beats the overpriced DLC EA had with SimCity.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.