Batman: Arkham Knight

11,649 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GetThoseKeysMilo
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The combat has some similarities, but that's only because games try and copy what Batman did. It's an incredible series.
I wouldn't say Assassin's Creed copied Batman. AC still uses the combat system they were using in AC 2 which came out at nearly the same time as the original Arkham game. Both games play with the attack/wait to counter system.
jr15aggie
AG
*** Somewhat spoilerish, but not if you've played the first part of the main story***

This game is crazy good with some of it's subtlety! After the revelation that the Joker's blood is messing with Batman, there were some really cool effects where he would imagine a room, turn around, and the room had changed.

But what's even cooler is how I've seen things that have messed with me. Climbing on a building with two random statues with the faces painted like the Joker... I barely noticed it at a glance as the screen scrolled by them. But when I looked back to take a second look they were normal. Sorta questioned my own eyes, "Did I see what I think I saw?". And now a bit farther into the game I'm fighting random thugs. I thrown one off them screen and turn on his buddies. Then the guy I threw comes back on screen... as the Joker of course.

I'm not very far into the game so I'm hoping for more surprises as it goes along.
Sentinel
AG
Have you run into the bat creature yet? That thing scared the **** out of me!
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
Have you run into the bat creature yet? That thing scared the **** out of me!
I was sitting on the couch with my gf when I was playing. That thing jumped out at me when I tried to grapple to the top of a building. that thing scared the hell out of me, I jumped, gf laughed.
MW03
AG
On sale for $49.96 is anyone is holding out.
jarAGGIE05
AG
I jumped pretty hard, then laughed out loud. You know the developers had a mischievous grin when creating that scene.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Is there any co-op online?
Sea Pony 07
AG
Still stuck at the second fireman. I have a really hard time driving the batmobile to the point that I am about to start gliding everywhere.
wangus12
AG
I glide everywhere, just like in City and Origins. They definitely overuse the Batmobile

And that bat creature freaked me out this morning at around 4am. Woke my gf up lol
Sea Pony 07
AG
I think I am going to have to start playing racing games if I am going to progress in the story line.
Saxsoon
AG
don't drink and drive your Batmobile
Sea Pony 07
AG
Maybe I should try a glass or two of wine with the batmobile. Who's going to arrest batman anyway?
jr15aggie
AG
Bat creature! I had a few drinks watching the ladies world cup... had a few more to celebrate after... then played Batman. Was about half asleep and still buzzin' pretty hard when out of friggin nowhere!!!! Son Of A!!!!!!

Jerk move Rocksteady... jerk move!
Saxsoon
AG
That was pretty good. I know you guys talked about it, but it came out of absolutely freaking nowhere. No context, no set up and it was amazing
wangus12
AG
The Joker scare was pretty good too. Wasn't expecting it either. Game is totally in my head when I'm playing. I see that damn clown everywhere I look
TexAg1987
Finally beat the game. What a story.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Finally beat the game. What a story.

Some of the reviews talked about how the story was sorta 'meh'. No idea what they are taking about or what their expectations are. Story is great so far (I'm like 20% in... I'm doing literally all the side stuff as I go). Having played the other games I know exactly what is going on and the story continuation is spot on IMO.

I'm not a huge comic or super hero fan, but this series is pretty great and this game is awesome.
Saxsoon
AG
I have one complaint with this game and open world games in general. If you are going to do open world side quests, don't have the plot be a freaking race against time. Barbara is captured by a maniac and scarecrow is trying to spread his fear toxin across the east coast and batman is off screwing around with the riddler, masked murders, man bat, fire starters, azeael and that is just from the first third of the game
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I have one complaint with this game and open world games in general. If you are going to do open world side quests, don't have the plot be a freaking race against time. Barbara is captured by a maniac and scarecrow is trying to spread his fear toxin across the east coast and batman is off screwing around with the riddler, masked murders, man bat, fire starters, azeael and that is just from the first third of the game

Can't say I disagree in terms of getting caught up in the world. It definitely makes no sense on any game when the main plot is a dire situation but you instead spend all your time farting around.

The alternative is worse though... Forcing you to do the main game 1 task at a time with nothing else to mix up the gameplay.
Saxsoon
AG
I don't see that as a problem if the game is good to begin with. Developers should be confident in their designs and shouldn't feel like they need to add these sidequests to pad the game's lengths. Hell, if they just incorporated these sidequests into the main story better, like saving Catwoman from the Riddler gets you one step closer to the Arkham Knight and saving Barbara.
TexAg1987
Dude, you have no idea. That was crazy awesome.
Tex117
AG
quote:
This has been an issue with most open world games.

How about the giant plothole that Scarecrow wants to gas a city, but tells all of the normal people to get out first? Why gas his own men?

Regardless, I have enjoyed the story and some of the side quests. Some are really irritating as there are just so many little things. Some of the gameplay mechanics are really frustrating. Too many gadgets just for the sake of having them. Etc.

My goal is to finish it up this weekend and go sell it back. Its a solid game, but not worthy of a prized place in the collection.
Saxsoon
AG
My understanding was that it didn't matter because it was supposed to spread across the east coast, not just the city
wangus12
AG
My only real complaint was upon saving Catwoman, instead of taking on the Riddler, he runs off and to fight him, I have to gather all 230+ trophies. Seriously!
Tex117
AG
quote:
My understanding was that it didn't matter because it was supposed to spread across the east coast, not just the city
Is that right? Then insight them to leave the city? Oh, its because they needed empty streets for the batmobile.

quote:
My only real complaint was upon saving Catwoman, instead of taking on the Riddler, he runs off and to fight him, I have to gather all 230+ trophies. Seriously!

This is beyond silly. Having that actually be required to complete a side quest is crazy.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
Is that right? Then insight them to leave the city? Oh, its because they needed empty streets for the batmobile.

quote:

This is beyond silly. Having that actually be required to complete a side quest is crazy.

I was thinking it was to create additional fear without the toxin. But obviously it was to have the streets be empty for the batmobile
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
and thank you for saving my time with that nonsense
easttexasaggie04
AG
I just picked this game up and started playing last night. I think it's a blast and a refreshing departure from the first person shooters I've grown tired of. However I've never played any of the previous Batman games so I feel a little lost when it comes to combat. I just mash buttons...any of yall mind telling me which buttons do what when it comes to combat?
TexAg1987
Square attacks. Triangle counters. Circle stuns. Hitting X twice will let you jump over an enemy or dodge roll. There are combos that you will learn as the game goes on. It's easy to use the system. It's difficult to master.
Saxsoon
AG
This game is great regardless simply because of the Joker. Such an innovative way to incorporate him into the most random of situations.
Tex117
AG
^
By far the best part of the game IMO.
wangus12
I Like Mike
AG
I am in the mide of the game and I LOVED how the Joker mocked you for getting scared of Man-Bat!! Great use of his character IMO.
FTACO97
AG
quote:
I am in the mide of the game and I LOVED how the Joker mocked you for getting scared of Man-Bat!! Great use of his character IMO.
Hahaha....yes that was great. Just saw that last night.

I'm about 1/2 way through. Really enjoying it. Just got all the bridges opened up and can now take the Batmobile anywhere. Per my comments earlier about having a hard time finding the firefighters, etc. The game really starts to open up for you and you get intel on each different side quest. So if you're in the same boat I was, just keep playing the quests that you can find and you'll start to get intel for the others along the way.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Loving this game so far. However I still feel like I'm just mashing buttons in combat. Any tips?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.