*****Official Terrible Announcers Thread*****

4,085 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by redag06
justcallmeharry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Which announcer just made the dumbest play by play or color call? Who is your least favorite announcer?

Least favorite for me - Danielson and Romo tie for the worst.

Pet peeve expressions - "Physicality" "Athleticism"

Any sport is fine on this thread...
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
mike_ags_fan12
Joe Buck

He called King Henry's 99 yarder and made it seem like it was a blooper to first.

You don't need to go Gus Johnson for everything but damn have some excitement.

Not too big on Al Michaels these days, either.
dixichkn
AG
Hard to beat Danielson. He's just the worst. But Cris Collinsworth is/was almost impossible to endure.

If you're old enough to remember Joe Namath doing commentary then you're old enough to remember the absolute bottom of the barrel
redag06
Romo hands down if he is calling a game it's placed on mute immediately. Can't stand his prepubescent voice cracking.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Aikman and Buck is just brutal

Aikman will start talking about going for it on 4th down when it's 3rd and inches
MookieBlaylock
AG
Kirk Herbstreit just awful at the NFL

Pats just came ups short again and Herbstreit starts blaming the coaching and routes

Overhead cam replays the play and the TE and RB are running wide open in the middle of the field and Jones had panicked and checked down

So bad
double aught
AG
Pet peeve that I never noticed until it was pointed out to me, and now I can't stand it:

When an announcer overly uses "the National Football League" when "NFL" would do just fine.
justcallmeharry
S
Danielson calling the Georgia/LSU championship game. 4 minutes to go in the first half. Georgia up 21 - 7. Georgia has the ball on about the 15 yard line - Danielson starts blathering about how Georgia needs to "milk the clock and at least get a field goal and not leave LSU time to get in position for a field goal so LSU won't go out on a high note.

In the next 3 minutes Georgia scored TWO touchdowns. In the last 50 odd seconds LSU got their high note - a field goal.

What a moron...
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
boy09
AG
Gotta disagree with the Collinsworth and Romo hate. Both are great imo. I do agree that Danielson is awful though.

Booger McFarland was the absolute worst. Glad that experiment didn't last. He made me appreciate guys like Collinsworth and Romo even more.

Not American football, but if you've watched any World Cup, Landon Donovan has been REAL tough to listen to.
TAZ99
AG
Also disagree with Collinsworth, I think he's a great announcer.
Charles Davis, the guy paired with Ian Eagle, is just awful.
And whoever they had doing the sideline interviews of the SEC championship game last night was brutal.
aggiephoenix02
double aught said:

Pet peeve that I never noticed until it was pointed out to me, and now I can't stand it:

When an announcer overly uses "the National Football League" when "NFL" would do just fine.
They have to say it that way, they aren't allowed to say NFL…
double aught
AG
Says who?
aggiephoenix02
It's a contractual thing, I heard them talking about it on talk radio, Dan Patrick Show I believe…
EastSideAg2002
New drinking game. Drink every time Romo says "Jim" during the broadcast.
justcallmeharry
S
EastSideAg2002 said:

New drinking game. Drink every time Romo says "Jim" during the broadcast.
Make it a double if Romo also sounds like a school girl sooooo excited about the prom.
Seven Costanza
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

double aught said:

They say NFL multiple times per game.
double aught
AG
Seven Costanza said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

double aught said:

They say NFL multiple times per game.
Yeah, I don't believe they're not allowed to say NFL. They just say "National Football League" because others do it and they're trying to be overly dramatic.
dabo man
AG
You CANNOT discuss bad football announcing at the college level and not mention RG3. That's like writing the history of baseball without mentioning Babe Ruth.
justcallmeharry
S
dabo man said:

You CANNOT discuss bad football announcing at the college level and not mention RG3. That's like writing the history of baseball without mentioning Babe Ruth.

Yes - RG3 proved that to the nth recently. Meanwhile, Romo is getting giddy about any player who just made a play during the Packers/Vikings game. "Lookit that there..."
robcovol
I watch all sporting events with the sound off these days. I'm also taking a lot more naps.
Frok
AG
Good grief, people get way too worked up over the announcers.
MookieBlaylock
AG
you clicked on a thread about bad announcers- then complain about people posting about bad announcers

MookieBlaylock
AG
Oh and Dave South is to announcing as Benjamin Knox is to art
Counterpoint
AG
Some guy (possibly the main guy) on FS1 college football. I'm sure his analysis is fine, but his voice is SO incredibly annoying that I don't understand how he got the job. Shouldn't voice be a major component of an announcing gig? Other than this guy and Danielson, nobody else annoys me.
justcallmeharry
S
Mike Tirico just sucks. Always.
redag06

Romo is awful starting to become mainstream now that Romo is awful, maybe they will bump him out of thier 1 slot.
double aught
AG
I don't normally pay much attention to announcers, but Romo does seem to be getting worse. When the Bills ran back the kickoff on the first play after Hamlin got hurt, he just started babbling. It was really annoying to hear him say a bunch of nonsense over a huge moment.
NyAggie
AG
redag06 said:

Romo hands down if he is calling a game it's placed on mute immediately. Can't stand his prepubescent voice cracking.

Same here, and can't stand the constant need to try and show how much he thinks he knows by trying to predict future plays
NyAggie
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Aikman and Buck is just brutal

Aikman will start talking about going for it on 4th down when it's 3rd and inches

Ha ha hate that tandem!
NyAggie
AG
TAZ99 said:

Also disagree with Collinsworth, I think he's a great announcer.
Charles Davis, the guy paired with Ian Eagle, is just awful.
And whoever they had doing the sideline interviews of the SEC championship game last night was brutal.

This

Love Collinsworth
Bunk Moreland
Romo either doesn't do his homework anymore or production is forcing him and Jim to be caricatures of themselves or something. It has gotten notably worse.

Greg Olsen is fantastic imo.
NyAggie
AG
A the college level no one is worse than Beth Mowins

All time Worst voice in any sport in The history of announcing
2ndGen87
AG
Danielson picks a team and roots for them all game long.

Troy has ZERO personality. He could throw a football, but man he is the definition of boring.
2ndGen87
AG
Ohh Beth Mowins, lol. Good grief how could i forget her.
W
AG
Romo seems to have worn out his welcome.

Greg Olsen was great yesterday...especially his analysis on Schultz's two catches on the final drive.

receiver has to be going forward out of bounds for the clock to stop
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.