*******The Official Houston Texans 2022: AW Thread************

325,036 Views | 3999 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by IrishAg
IrishAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, it has to be done, we need to start AW "after Watson" and get going talking on the draft moving forward. So let's get the real 2022 offseason going.

Here's our list of picks:
1ST

2ND

3RD

4TH

6TH

7TH (DALLAS)

Barring a trade, every mock I've seen has us taking d-line at 3 or 13. Really hoping we avoid Thibadeux if we go that route.

Does everyone agree with what seems to be the mock draft consensus of Kyle Hamilton at 3rd and Jordan Davis at 13?

I'm more of a Sauce Gardner fan, but I think 3rd is too high for a corner.

mAgnoliAg
AG
First
Ags #1
AG
I want garret wilson at 13 if he is there
bdgol07
AG
58 pages
chjoak
AG
Want Willis to be there at 3 and a QB desperate team in the top 10 make us a deal to trade down that includes a top 10 1st, top 10 2nd and 2023 pick(s). Then go best available with our 6 picks in round 1-3.
Ryan34
AG
If 3rd is too high for a corner, then it definitely should be for a safety.
Cartographer
in
AgBrother
Texans got a 4th this year in the Watson deal - #107 to add to our picks.

Garrett Wilson at 13th would be a great pick I think. I would say best defensive player at 3 unless they are moving Howard to guard then draft a tackle.

Snake Jazz
I want Ekwonu with the third pick. Physically dominant blocker who can play inside or out. I would be fine with Hamilton, too, although he might be sliding a little.

I'm sure we would love to trade back, but it take two to make that happen. Don't think there is a QB good enough to move up for.

In a perfect world Hamilton falls to 13, but I doubt it. Better chance to trade back here if Willis is there…maybe even Pickett.

Looking forward to watching Trader Nick work. He seems to be aggressive when he likes a player, and he has picks to work with.
IrishAg
AgBrother said:

Texans got a 4th this year in the Watson deal - #107 to add to our picks.

Garrett Wilson at 13th would be a great pick I think. I would say best defensive player at 3 unless they are moving Howard to guard then draft a tackle.

Got it added.

I'm really hoping we can move down some and add at least one other 2nd rounder this year. So many tempting players available at the end of the 1st and in the 2nd. I'm a big fan of Christian Watson out of North Dakota state, also think Christian Harris would be a great take in the 2nd. Although i think Watson might be moving into the first round.

If we stay at both picks in the first, i think we could do Sauce and a great defensive lineman, then i think with the run on receivers that is shaping up there are going to be some o-lineman with first round grades dropping to the second that we could steal (interior or tackle)
IrishAg
Snake Jazz said:

I want Ekwonu with the third pick. Physically dominant blocker who can play inside or out. I would be fine with Hamilton, too, although he might be sliding a little.

I'm sure we would love to trade back, but it take two to make that happen. Don't think there is a QB good enough to move up for.

In a perfect world Hamilton falls to 13, but I doubt it. Better chance to trade back here if Willis is there…maybe even Pickett.

Looking forward to watching Trader Nick work. He seems to be aggressive when he likes a player, and he has picks to work with.

I really like Elwonu, but i think we can get an oline steal in the 2nd. If you look at all the teams in the second half of the first round that need receivers, there's going to be a run with some reaches, add that to a potential surprise run on QBs, then there are going to be some big drops into the second round.
IrishAg
Ryan34 said:

If 3rd is too high for a corner, then it definitely should be for a safety.

Agree completely, but that's the fancy pick apparently.
IrishAg
Some new mocks coming down

CBS
3rd - Travon Walker
13 - Derek Stingley Jr

Bucky Brooks NFL Network
3rd - Kavon Thibodeaux
13 - Drake London

Mike Tannenbaum ESPN
3rd - Kyle Hamilton
13 - Charles Cross

PFF
3rd - Kyle Hamilton
13 - Jordan Davis

Out of all of those I would take CBS, but I'm not a fan of any of these combos.
chjoak
AG
CBS is the best of those but I think that combo makes far more sense after a trade down from 3.
Ryan34
AG
If Travon Walker is there, that's who I'd take, and I think we would. Real chance he goes #2 or even #1 though.
Max Power
AG
I've gone back and forth on this one. I feel like we're going to go defense at 3, I'd say we take Hamilton at 3 since he looks like the best db in the class, he's big, versatile, and fast. At 13 I could see them taking a WR. If they really want to see if Davis Mills is the guy then they need to improve the WR corps. If they go defense again at 13 then I'd say the WR pick slides to round 2 and they look at a RB in round 3.

This draft will have a massive bearing on what we do next year in the first round. I don't see Houston winning much, will likely be top 3 again next year. And if we pick that high again then we're either taking a QB like Bryce Young or CJ Stroud, but I really want Will Anderson next year.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ryan34 said:

If Travon Walker is there, that's who I'd take, and I think we would. Real chance he goes #2 or even #1 though.

Why didn't he produce much in college?
3 Toed Pete
AG
3 is way too high to take a safety and history bears this out. Generally I prefer to go with best available but this year I would focus on the trenches. We'll likely have a high pick again next year and Cleveland's may be higher than we think and hopefully we can grab some top skill position guys next year and the year after. Or we may decide to go QB next year depending on what Mills does this year. This is a 4-5 year project, a lot of that depending on whether Mills turns out to be "the guy" or not.
Ags #1
AG
Feel like I watched alot of sec games and dont remember walkers name mentioned alot. Felt like the talking heads always talked up davis. Did walker have good pro day numbers or something?
chjoak
AG
Ags #1 said:

Feel like I watched alot of sec games and dont remember walkers name mentioned alot. Felt like the talking heads always talked up davis. Did walker have good pro day numbers or something?
He had a really good pro day & combine. Texans supposedly really like him. I don't have an issue taking him if Lovie wants him but I have issues taking a guy at #3 that was not productive in college.
Ryan34
AG
Ags #1 said:

He's about the same size as Myles Garrett and tested even better than Myles. His stats don't jump off the page, but he was still a very good player. Played in a different scheme that didn't put him out wide as a pass rusher much. He's getting legit run as the #1 pick for a reason.
Ryan34
AG
Max Power said:

I've gone back and forth on this one. I feel like we're going to go defense at 3, I'd say we take Hamilton at 3 since he looks like the best db in the class, he's big, versatile, and fast. At 13 I could see them taking a WR. If they really want to see if Davis Mills is the guy then they need to improve the WR corps. If they go defense again at 13 then I'd say the WR pick slides to round 2 and they look at a RB in round 3.

This draft will have a massive bearing on what we do next year in the first round. I don't see Houston winning much, will likely be top 3 again next year. And if we pick that high again then we're either taking a QB like Bryce Young or CJ Stroud, but I really want Will Anderson next year.

Hamilton tied for the worst 40 of all the safeties at the combine. Not saying he's a bad player, but I wouldn't say he's fast. He will likely be a box safety, which is hard to justify in the top 5.
IrishAg
Ryan34 said:

Max Power said:

Hamilton tied for the worst 40 of all the safeties at the combine. Not saying he's a bad player, but I wouldn't say he's fast. He will likely be a box safety, which is hard to justify in the top 5.
Doing research on Hamilton and apparently some scouts are saying the time listed at his pro day is wrong and that he was really in the 4.7s. So for me, that's now a hard pass on him at 3, and probably a pass even at 13. I keep hearing he plays faster in the game tape, but we all know here, that slow is slow when it comes to crunch time.

On another note, I really hope we avoid the really talented but motivationally challenged players in this draft. With where the team is at, we need guys that will come in and put the work in (which is why I'm high on Sauce Gardner, his interviews are awesome and apparently he is a no party type of guy), and not a potential flash in the pan.

For example, I know that it might click for Thibodeaux and it would probably make him the best player in this draft, but I don't think we can risk it when trying to build a team. Hell, specifically on him, I was listening to move the sticks podcast, and they were getting different coaches opinions on top players, and not a single coach that played against Oregon said they did anything different for Thibodeaux when scheming. They just told their players to stop his initial push and then you didn't have to worry, which had Bucky and DJ even calling out how bad that is in the PAC-12, where there isn't a whole lot of o-line talent.
Ag_07
AG
Not an Xs and Os expert by any stretch of the imagination but aren't safeties a crucial part to Lovie's Cover 2 defense? Like they run the show and are crucial to the success of the defense.

If that's the case then maybe it's worth picking a safety at 3. and furthermore I'll defer to Lovie on who he thinks is best the fit to run what he wants.

Point being that it may be an unconventional pick but makes a lot of sense for what he wants to run and who he needs to run it.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Which will be telling on whether Nick views him as another stopgap or long term. I don't think we'd draft a player specifically for Lovie's scheme if he doesn't expect Lovie to last. Probably would draft someone more universal who you can plug and play in any system.
IrishAg
Texan_Aggie said:

Which will be telling on whether Nick views him as another stopgap or long term. I don't think we'd draft a player specifically for Lovie's scheme if he doesn't expect Lovie to last. Probably would draft someone more universal who you can plug and play in any system.
Agree completely, especially at #3. Someone taken this high you expect to be a primary contributor no matter the scheme.
rbcs_2
AG
Safeties and LBs that can patrol the middle of the field are vital. It's a lot of zone coverage that attempts to force teams to put together long drives. Most teams can't do it consistently. That being said, nothing blows up a drive faster than pressure on the QB.

I'd say the one position on the defense that they won't spend high draft picks on is CB.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I want Ekwonu at #3 and best edge available at #13.

The Texans run game has been one of their biggest weaknesses the past few seasons. Ekwonu could drastically improve the run game (especially if paired with a rookie RB), which would then open up the passing game for Mills. Also, improving the run game correlates to more time of possession, which then in-turn helps out your defense since they aren't on the field as much. So you could make an argument that Ekwonu could impact both sides of the ball.

Then you draft the best available edge at #13, whether that's Jermaine Johnson, George Karlaftis, or possibly a slipping Kayvon Thibodeaux. Bam, instant upgrades to the trenches on offense and defense in the first round of the draft.
Snake Jazz
IrishAg said:

Snake Jazz said:

I really like Elwonu, but i think we can get an oline steal in the 2nd. If you look at all the teams in the second half of the first round that need receivers, there's going to be a run with some reaches, add that to a potential surprise run on QBs, then there are going to be some big drops into the second round.
I agree that we can probably pick up a damn good OL in round two...so let's do both. I think Ekwonu will be special, and since we're not 100% sure how motivated Tunsil is or where Howard will play, he could end up at guard next to Tunsil, at RT (with Howard inside) or end up being your left tackle if we jettison Tunsil at some point. Love his versatility, as well as the fact that he should be a mauler in the run game.

I would have no problem adding another dominant run blocker with 13 or even in the second. I think that improving the run game is the single most important thing they can do going into next season, and building up your line talent is probably the best way to go about it.
Snake Jazz
Ryan34 said:

I don't dislike Travon Walker, but I'm worried he is more physical specimen than ball player. I know the counter argument is that he wasn't as productive because Georgia was so loaded on defense...maybe, but I don't feel great about that. He could be Mike Mamula. Of course, he could also be James Harrison.
Snake Jazz
Ag_07 said:

Not an Xs and Os expert by any stretch of the imagination but aren't safeties a crucial part to Lovie's Cover 2 defense? Like they run the show and are crucial to the success of the defense.
My understanding, as well, is that safeties are incredibly important in Tampa 2. They have a lot of ground to cover, so speed could be an issue, but good instincts can make up for that.

I like Sauce Gardner a lot, but since corners do less man coverage than in other schemes, I don't know that he is the best value at 3.
Ryan34
AG
Snake Jazz said:

Ryan34 said:

I don't dislike Travon Walker, but I'm worried he is more physical specimen than ball player. I know the counter argument is that he wasn't as productive because Georgia was so loaded on defense...maybe, but I don't feel great about that. He could be Mike Mamula. Of course, he could also be James Harrison.

He had 6 sacks last year for Georgia. That was second on the team, and their highest was 6.5 sacks. He was much more productive than people are giving him credit for, and that's despite primarily lining up inside. An NFL team will probably put him on the outside more, which will give his length and speed better opportunity to shine.
Ryan34
AG
Snake Jazz said:

Ag_07 said:

My understanding, as well, is that safeties are incredibly important in Tampa 2. They have a lot of ground to cover, so speed could be an issue, but good instincts can make up for that.

I like Sauce Gardner a lot, but since corners do less man coverage than in other schemes, I don't know that he is the best value at 3.

I'd argue that Tampa 2 one of the friendliest schemes to safeties. Rangy LBs and CBs are more important. Tampa 2 often has a LB covering the deep middle.

Regardless, the safeties should be interchangeable. Hamilton is much more of a box safety than the typical Tampa 2. I really don't see him as a fit regardless, unless he's going to be lining up at LB on passing downs.
IrishAg
That's a good point on Tampa 2, which is why I love Christian Harris in the 2nd round. But I don't know if he'll be the BPA when they pick.
Snake Jazz
Ryan34 said:

Snake Jazz said:

Ag_07 said:

I'd argue that Tampa 2 one of the friendliest schemes to safeties. Rangy LBs and CBs are more important. Tampa 2 often has a LB covering the deep middle.

Regardless, the safeties should be interchangeable. Hamilton is much more of a box safety than the typical Tampa 2. I really don't see him as a fit regardless, unless he's going to be lining up at LB on passing downs.
I know you're right about linebackers in this system...seems like they like the linebackers they have, though. Somebody like Christian Harris would be a fit, but sounds like they're ready to rock with Kirksey, etc.
Last Page
Page 1 of 115

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.